The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 AM
concentrate

Wolverine-man?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 AM
Boom

Reminds me of MMV's Pluto.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 AM
Video World S3 is begun!

As if the other Megamans (Megamen?) don't look stupid. Besides, feather boa. Classy.

I started the Megaman Zero Collection the other week. I have the GBA carts and I used to be able to at the very least sustain an A rank. Now I can barely hold a B. Maybe it's the DS? Maybe my fingers are getting old.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 AM
I am a Gundam!

MMZ skills rust quickly in my experience. There was a time when I could S-Rank MMZ1. If I tried now, I doubt I could manage that.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 AM
..and his little cat, too

That's actually just one of his looks; another is more shield-based, as part of the whole character customization thing. You can see that, a Kalinka that's five years older, and more here.

Oh, and three guys recreated the TGS demo in under a day. Check that out and play it here.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Terrible confusion

As much as we talk about Mega Man, I don't think this has come up too often... What would you like to see from a new Mega Man game? What series would you like them to pick up on, or would you want them to create something fresh altogether?

Personally, I love the original series, so I would like to see a new entry into that. But doing the same old wouldn't cut it this time. I think releasing as a download is a good idea for Mega Man, but graphically, I'd like it to look along the lines of MMPU. MM Universe had some neat ideas too, with the customization of weapon abilities, which I would love to see encorporated. If they could do a Kirby 64 style weapon combination system, that would open up some neat new ways of solving puzzles and discovering what works best against bosses. Having a level editor seems like a must as well. Finally, if they had co-op play with multiple Mega Men (I mean, you've got Proto Man and Bass to work with right there anyway), that could top it all off. Make sure you've got some tight levels, and boom, that's a successful Mega Man in my mind.

What do you want to see?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

I'd kind of like an expansion on the Endless Mode MM9 (and to a lesser extent, 10). Specially how it gave you all that games sub-weapons and a lot of the stages seemed to be cobbled together from earlier games (albeit with the 9 and 10 enemies). Make it so that you still restricted yourself to eight weapons, but let you choose which eight from a pool of all of them. Mix and match which levels had what enemies.

Basically, I want a Mega Man roguelike.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Boom

I want more of the same, honestly. More releases like 9 and 10. I don't care if they don't try to mix up the formula a whole lot.

In fact, I'd like to see inticreates do the same thing with the X series.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Well I like peanut butter

Mega Man X was my Mega Man. I want to see another sequel to the original SNES games.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I want more of the same, honestly. More releases like 9 and 10. I don't care if they don't try to mix up the formula a whole lot.

In fact, I'd like to see inticreates do the same thing with the X series.
Yes please. With SNES like graphics.

My two year old son's started watching me play Mega Man III. He's fascinated by it, even though my skills are horribly rusty. It's great to see someone fall in love with a game that was so important to me as a gamer.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Little Waves

X1 and X4 are the only classic-style games I'll ever need. The only Mega Man game I feel is missing from my life is Legends 3.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Space Prez

Ixnay on the engendslay.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Little Waves

Hey, he asked.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Not 100% a dick

I could play X1 over and over again all day long. I know the game backwards and forwards, which makes Maverick Hunter X really hard for me! I wouldn't mind seeing an HD remake of MHX though. As much as I love my portables, MegaMan belongs on my TV.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I think that if it weren't for that one jump to reach the buster upgrade in Flame Mammoth's stage, and not starting with the dash powerup, X1 would pretty much be a perfect game. I don't know why I find that game so much easier to get into than, say, MM2.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Not 100% a dick

X2 blew my young, impressionable mind when it first came out, but I struggle to play it these days. I think there's too much backtracking? I honestly can't remember, I haven't played it since the X Collection was released.

(Edit: I just saw the lack of X in front of your MM2)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
As much as we talk about Mega Man, I don't think this has come up too often... What would you like to see from a new Mega Man game? What series would you like them to pick up on, or would you want them to create something fresh altogether?
The desire for Legends 3 on this forum has been so strong that I think the answer to this question has been pretty clear for a while now
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM

I would also like to see a SNES style MMX game, maybe with the whole "beating levels affects other levels" thing fleshed out even more, like how beating Chill Penguin's level freezes Flame Mammoth's level and beating Storm Eagle's level makes the ship crash into Spark Mandrill's level and cut off the power.

It added another small, but novel, element to the stage selection process. You could do things where beating Boss A gives you the weapon that works best on Boss B, but beating Stage B first would actually make Stage A easier to complete (but force you to fight the bosses without the weapons they're weak to).

I'll admit I tapped out to the X series after 3, so maybe the other X games did something with this concept and I missed out. The PS2/PC game Freedom Fighters actually used this type of set-up quite well.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I just want to blow up eight robot masters with candy-colored weapons.

And a slide.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
So Mega Man is a werewolf now?
The X games were nothin' but furry-fied Robot Masters. Mega Man is just way, way late to the party.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

He has become everything in the world he hates most.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Spear of Justice

I think that's happened a couple times now.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I want something that plays like the classic Mega Man games, but changes up the formula in interesting new ways, like Mega Man X did.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Current Objective:Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
but changes up the formula in interesting new ways, like Mega Man X did.
Mega Man 50 L
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I want something that plays like the classic Mega Man games, but changes up the formula in interesting new ways, like Mega Man X did.
What changes, specifically? I ask because most of the changes made to the Mega Man formula over the years have been detrimental.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
What changes, specifically? I ask because most of the changes made to the Mega Man formula over the years have been detrimental.
Oh, I don't know about that. Saber fighting was a relatively late addition, but it's arguably more fun than the buster. Sliding/dashing and wall-climbing are excellent. I think the more sophisticated boss fights of the later series are superior to classic's five-second long, semi-random "trade hits until one of you dies" battles. The ZX series is full of great ideas that were badly implemented, and I don't think it's inconceivable that, well-implemented, they'd make for an excellent game.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Oh, I don't know about that. Saber fighting was a relatively late addition, but it's arguably more fun than the buster. Sliding/dashing and wall-climbing are excellent. I think the more sophisticated boss fights of the later series are superior to classic's five-second long, semi-random "trade hits until one of you dies" battles. The ZX series is full of great ideas that were badly implemented, and I don't think it's inconceivable that, well-implemented, they'd make for an excellent game.
Basically this. Saber fighting, dashing, sliding, and wall-jumping were all good, solid additions to and variations on the basic game mechanics. And I'd argue that even charging was a reasonable addition, if problematic in execution. I can't believe that all variations have been exhausted.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 PM

The basic X moveset, including Zero's melee style from X4 are all awesome. What I don't want to see, though, is any more treasure hunting, grading systems, random and/or gimmicky stage elements, gimmicky stage design, and so on.

The difference between the former list and the latter is that the latter all move the focus away from "8 bosses, 8 weapons, get to it". I want to enhance the formula without changing it at all.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
The basic X moveset, including Zero's melee style from X4 are all awesome. What I don't want to see, though, is any more treasure hunting, grading systems, random and/or gimmicky stage elements, gimmicky stage design, and so on.

The difference between the former list and the latter is that the latter all move the focus away from "8 bosses, 8 weapons, get to it". I want to enhance the formula without changing it at all.
I seriously sat down all set to play through the whole X series once. 5 stopped me DEAD with that. No regrets.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:09 AM
Video World S3 is begun!

I want ZX 3

Tags
booblights , burn burn to the ground! , capcom , capcom ceo noa bright , dr. wily , get equipped , horming torpedo , inafune , jusdie zellllloooooo , literal slap in the face , mega man , mighty no. 9 , nobody likes high max , robot masters , rockman , spark mandrill , the little metal boy , the new bomber , what am i fighting for , z-saver , zello , zero dies a lot , zero is a girl , zero is a man bro , zero is kenny