The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Boom

No worries, you can get more rusty weapons pretty easily. Reynard, the traveling merchant, sells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
PS: People who have played it, when's a good time to do the expansion content, level-wise?
If you haven't played Dragon's Dogma before, I don't recommend going to Bitterblack Isle until after you finish the main story. It'll spoil some cool things otherwise.

As for level-wise... I played it on Hard in NG+ the first time, so I don't have a good answer for you. I hear 40-50 is a good place to be.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Also, maybe it's because the game is pretty new, but man, I am just rolling in Rift Crystals thanks to my Pawn. Like 40,000 of them. I should really go back to the dude I buy stuff from with them, and see if there's anything worth getting.
Man I wish people would hire my pawn - I guess pawn fighters aren't very popular, let alone more amazon looking ones. And those that do hire her seem to get her killed, but that's probably my fault for training her to run up and hit dangerous things. Tends to work in my favour though.

Edit: Also try as I might, I just can't stop playing and loving the Magick Archer class. Hell it's default ice arrow swirl skill is tailor made to destroy saurians and goblins and anything else that can be juggled.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

I'm up to 340,000 RC now. I've bought two Premium Rings, just because I could. It seems there are two key points to getting your Pawn hired: Make them male so they stand out, and make them a Mage with (High) Anodyne. Everyone wants their Pawn to be a badass, so even if they're a spellcaster, they tend to be Sorcerers. Thing is, they still need Anodyne and other support magic, and they have to get it from somewhere. It's not like you're going to be healing using items during battle.

If anybody sees Wise Guise in the field, that's my main Pawn.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Thing is, they still need Anodyne and other support magic, and they have to get it from somewhere. It's not like you're going to be healing using items during battle.
Yeah that seems to be general perception, but oddly enough using items during battle is easy - you can open the item menu at any time, it pauses the game while selecting them, and healing items get used instantly and multiple items can be used at once. Granted it requires carrying some healing items around, but it's saved my ass more times than Anodyne has. Also items like Interventive heal a lot more health than you'd think.

Then again most Sorcerers go for the big flashy spells as opposed to the usually more handy but less flashy support spells like Miasma and Grapnel.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:05 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
Yeah that seems to be general perception, but oddly enough using items during battle is easy - you can open the item menu at any time, it pauses the game while selecting them, and healing items get used instantly and multiple items can be used at once. Granted it requires carrying some healing items around, but it's saved my ass more times than Anodyne has. Also items like Interventive heal a lot more health than you'd think.

Then again most Sorcerers go for the big flashy spells as opposed to the usually more handy but less flashy support spells like Miasma and Grapnel.
Oh yeah, I use items on myself all the time, but the game won't let me use Pawn's items. They have to do it themselves, so I'm always running around with Pawns that have their max hp cut in half. Because, you know. Pawns.

Besides, the game is more fun without using items in battle. It gives me Elder Scrolls flashbacks whenever I do. The Elder Scrolls VI: Just Spam Potions To Get Through Our Shit Combat Design.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Boom

In the late game, Anodyne is too weak and High Anodyne takes too long to cast in the heat of battle, so people generally do use items to heal in battle. If pawns are holding healing items, they'll use them when they're needed. A Mage will get your pawn hired plenty, though, because healing without items is nice out of battle, at least, but Sorcerers are significantly more powerful offensively and are capable of healing some pretty nasty afflictions.

Also, if pawns are holding healing items, they'll use them when they're needed.

The real secret to a popular pawn is good inclinations and skills. If you've got Guardian or Nexus or Acquisitor as your primary inclination, your pawn is likely to be mediocre or even detrimental.

Last edited by Regulus; 01-21-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Love and Peace

I started over because there was a lot I wasn't happy with. Like missing about a dozen quests in the first half hour of the game, which made the next half hour really suck. My quest is going much better now!

By the way, all of us who are playing on PC got the last laugh, because we can turn off Pawn chat!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
because we can turn off Pawn chat!
hashtag notallpawns
Old 01-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Finally picked up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Since my initial plans for my character were "Fat Strider" I based my Arisen's design on Haru, the late Chris Farley's starring role from Beverly Hills Ninja.

Anyway, despite that it's supposed to be dramatic, I found the opening to be pretty hilarious, and it's not just because I made my Arisen Chris Farley. Kinda NSFW GIFs under the spoiler pop.

This is how the dragon tears out your heart, by slowly bearing down on you with his giant index claw like he's an amateur dragon heart surgeon and poking you.

Now the heart looks like a glowing piece of candy and the dragon's talking (which looks silly) and my guy's all like "What is this I don't even" at the sight.

Then the dragon smugly gobbles up the glowy candy heart while my guy reaches out in vain and all I can think of is

I'll definitely be playing more of this.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

This game really needed an item slot and a "use item" button.
Every time I go back to play it, I think "do I really want to spam grass 24/7, tho?"
Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Anyway, despite that it's supposed to be dramatic, I found the opening to be pretty hilarious, and it's not just because I made my Arisen Chris Farley.
Dark Arisen sadly "fixed" a harbinger of the many endearing incongruities in Dragon's Dogma by replacing the original title card music.

It's simultaneously goofy and rockin', just like the game.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 PM
An Animal of Joy

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Can't wait to see your Pawn, MMM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 PM
An Animal of Joy

That was short for Met Man Mas, I did not intend to sound thirsty.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Dark Arisen sadly "fixed" a harbinger of the many endearing incongruities in Dragon's Dogma by replacing the original title card music.

It's simultaneously goofy and rockin', just like the game.
On the plus side it is pretty easy to mod "Into Free" back as the title music on the PC version at least.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Senhor Member

At first I was like, “that’s very nice; love it; why would they change that” then I was like, “oh, yeah, I hear it. still love it!”
Old 01-12-2018, 01:28 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Can't wait to see your Pawn, MMM.
I made Korcha from Chrono Cross.

Knew I would be making the chicken-headed jackass as soon as I saw the creation process for Panpan in the Monster Factory ep for this game. Also you start in a fishing town, so...yeah. Made him a Fighter 'cuz Fisherman & Ferryman is sadly not a vocation in this game.

Also here's a better view of my Arisen.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 AM
An Animal of Joy

I love this game, and at no point did I have any idea what it was about. It's got a lot of my favorite themes though, Classic D&D Vibes, Dungeoneering Spirit, and Bi Princesses.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Come, noble knights!

Now I just hope that Capcom will localize the MMORPG while it's still feasible instead of leaving it in Japan forever like they did with Monster Hunter Frontier and Sega's doing with Phantasy Star Online 2.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

My fave bits of this are like being caught in the woods at night and fighting off wave after wave of goblins, and... oh shit! a dragon. This game is cool as hell.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:07 PM

I like how the MC shows a super sense of urgency when running.

That's the kind of hustle I like to see.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

All this talk is making me want to dig into the Dark Arisen stuff
Old 01-12-2018, 06:59 PM
hang high, soft star

Can we just...can we rename this thread? Nothing about Dragons Dogma is for normal people.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM

I'd say Berserk for normal people would be a more accurate title. Even serves to explain what the game's about.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Boom

I think we should call it Dungeons & Dragon's Dogma
Old 01-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
THIS. This game is D&D as fuck.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
+1
Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 AM
Come, noble knights!

Haven't made much progress in Dragon's Dogma yet, but only because I've been having fun using Speedrun Mode as an excuse to play with the character creation tools. Here's the most recent fun I had:

Hair's not as spiky as I'd like, but here's Vegeta and Nappa all Ye Olde Tyme style. You may notice that Vegeta is the Pawn and not the Arisen. That's completely intentional, so I could do this:

After their galaxy-wide genocide spree, Vegeta got to live on to eventually become a better person, have a wife and son. Nappa got to be dead and gone forever. He's...not happy about that.

You can see more of my DragDog photos and other PSN stuff over on my Twitter account.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Not much of a donkey

Pronouns: He/Him

I got this game during the summer sale and it's...really good? I can't imagine why it got dragged so hard for a while. It's probably the best open world game I've ever played.

The fight with the Dragon is a tours de force.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:07 AM

The combat is so crunchy and satisfying!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM
hang high, soft star

This thread is /still/ inaccurately named.

Tags
a goblin! , capcom , dragon's dogma , it hates fire , rpg , they're masterworks all , wolves hunt in packs , you need a heart to live