The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

My slow speed run:

Just got the arm: 2hr36

I'd guess I have like 2hrs left at least. Poo!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 PM
An Animal of Joy

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

I finally continued my game after several weeks, which was saved right after the first combat encounter. I realized that playing it in VR was just too upsetting and I was probably never going to get back to it so I continued just playing on the TV. I'm pretty glad I did. I don't think I could have handled everything between then and where I am now, which is finally RE-like basement-facility exploration, fighting reskinned gonados. That garage fight though. Jesus. I don't think a game has every put me in a scenario that's anything like that, and that they never took control away in favor of QTEs was great. I'm hoping there's more of that kind of creativity to come.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:11 AM

The garage fight is a great bit of vidya magic: a bit of a mess, but the escalation of it all plays out so goddamn well that you don't even notice.

Wish it were even more interactive, with more things in the garage to utilize (I had a friend that when he was in the fight tried helplessly to shoot down something that was hanging down from the ceiling only to find out painfully that it can't be interacted with), but I'm still curious to hear how it played out for you!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:04 PM
An Animal of Joy

Well, It took me several tries. I also tried to see if there was a way to drop the mopeds, but I was just kiting Dad around and gathering items while I did, so I noticed the keys and the car door, but died a couple times in the process. The first time I tried to start the car I wasn't fast enough so he pulled me out and started driving the car around in the garage himself and I got run over. The next try I made sure to kneecap him well in front of the car and was able to run him over, repeatedly. The fact that they implemented driving in this game just so you could do it once in a 30'x50' room tickles me.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Little Waves

Interesting making-of video with Capcom staff recalling the decision to return to "survival horror," the inspiration for the setting, a pitch movie of the basic concept from 2014, and ideas that went unused.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Watched this yesterday, good video, kind of fun to see Jun Takeuchi fanboying out over RE4, I remember a lot of the blame for the underwhelming future installments went to him and it kind of just shows that he was a huge fan that didn't quite grasp all the moving parts of RE4.

Ended up buying the season pass, the little nightmare mini game was far more addicting than I thought it'd be, I spent like 3 hours playing it last night (but still couldn't beat it).
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Wink

How did we not talk about this game more? It's fantastic! Probably my favorite Resident Evil. I'm running through Madhouse now, making videos of all the boss fights to mess around with Share Factory. I love how infrequently the Moldy Boiz are used, and how great the family is. Jack might be my favorite RE villain "Nice car, Ethan!"
Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 PM
An Animal of Joy

I personally haven't talked about it much because it's almost too gross and scary for me. I really dread going back to it and I'm not in a really good situation. I have to finish the basement but I'm out of just about everything.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Aw. This may or may not help, but moldy boiz can't open doors, unlike family members. There are lots of times my combat strategy is slamming doors in things' faces, which is pretty painless due to quickturn.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM
An Animal of Joy

I'll probably give it a try sometime in the next week. I have a partial clip and no more healing items, and I only explored about half the basement. I stupidly used a lot of resources killing the guy in the morgue after I got the key because I thought there might be more to do in the room.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:35 PM

The basement can get stressful. And there's a few other areas during the game where there's a lot of molded and not much to fight them with, so it can be tough, but I believe in you.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Little Waves

Remember to block if you see a hit coming. Blocking claws and teeth with your bare hands mitigates a lot more damage than you'd think.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Yeah, the game really doesn't communicate how good blocking is.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

If you have to, melee fighting one original flavor mold-o isn't the end of the world if you're blocking.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Finally picked this up and played through it. I was a li'l disappointed by how the second half abandons dealing with nigh unkillable lunatics in favor of gunning down lots of moldymen, but all in all I really enjoyed my time with the game and look forward to doing it all again on Madhouse. As well as the DLC.

Also I can already see a sequel hook (or at least future DLC hook) given how Lucas has been spying on the family for a shady corporation that got him un-brainwashed and he was never confirmed KIA. Also wonder if anything will be up with Zoe in the "Save Mia" continuity, assuming they run with that. She was in the hivemind with Jack, but we never saw her die in that route.

Oh yeah, and the blocking tip was super useful.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Outraged!

This game is very stressful.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:20 PM
Come, noble knights!

I've been making good progress in my Madhouse run, though Spider-Marge has been a bit of a wall so far with the whole "taking forever to kill" thing. I'll bust through eventually, though.

Also picked up the Season Pass recently. Nightmare and Jack's 55th Birthday are both really fun alternate game modes, and though it's ridiculously cruel I do love the concept of Ethan Must Die mode. Bedroom is also a really neat puzzle challenge. Haven't played 21 or Daughters yet, though. The latter I'll definitely be getting to soon, but the former...Well, I'm already used to this being one of the goriest Resident Evils, but the thought of combining Blackjack with Saw still makes me pretty squeamish.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM

I got the season pass a few months back as well, and enjoyed nightmare WAY more than I thought I was going to, had a couple of days of intensely playing it. Wish it had some more crazy things that you couldn't have in the main game like a rocket launcher a la classic RE or something among it's goodies.

The videos are alright, bedroom is a neat little puzzle, 21 is bullshit that takes too long and is too rigged to be enjoyable, and daughters was genuinely disturbing in how violent it was, but ultimately it does kind of leave Zoe as feeling like a wasted opportunity in the story. There was a lot more you could've done with the Bakers but they just opted for a quick and dirty flashback video for them which is a letdown considering how solid the rest of the game is.

Probably my favorite game of the year so far, still, can't wait for Not A Hero.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:35 AM
Little Waves

I finished Madhouse a little while ago and have been going through the extra content.

Nightmare kind of feels like a take on The Mercenaries adapted to RE7's survivalist bent. Instead of hunting enemies and herding them together to set up sick combos, you're constantly trying to stay ahead of them while setting traps, extending your territory, and stretching your resources as far as you can. The concept has legs and could certainly support more than the single stage they gave it.

Bedroom is large-scale puzzle box that plays out like the escape room sequence in the main game but is an order of magnitude more complex. I found the main game kind of light on puzzles overall, so this was great to sink my teeth into. There isn't much reason to go back to it once you've figured it out, but I'd love more scenarios like this.

Ethan Must Die reminds me of the extra modes from RE2, 3, and CODE: Veronica, where you have a consistent starting point and have to survive a journey to a definite end point. Even more than in those games, though, there's a major focus on foraging for supplies, as you start with nothing and need to assemble an arsenal by the end so you can actually take out the boss. You also die in one hit to basically everything (if you're blocking, you might hang on with a sliver of health), but the need to retry over and over plays up the significance of the randomized items. The possibility of getting a major advantage from a single lucky drop is hard to resist; on the other hand, if you're decked out with an ideal inventory, you're under that much more pressure not to biff things since that means saying good-bye to a run that you're not likely to reproduce any time soon. Even when you think you've got all the non-random elements memorized forwards and backwards, there always seems to be just one more thing you never considered before, which of course is the thing that ends up killing you. Losing twenty minutes of progress over a single misstep can definitely be discouraging, but it'll be that much more satisfying when you finally succeed.

21 is much more addictive than any blackjack mini-game has a right to be. You and your opponent share a single deck of just eleven cards, so it's much more plausible to play the odds based on what cards are out than if you were playing with a deck of fifty-two. You and your opponent also get "trump cards" that can trigger a variety of effects, such as raising the other person's bet, swapping the last cards both players drew, or even changing the rules so the magic number is 24 or 27 instead of 21. Deciding which cards to use and when adds a lot in the way of variety and strategy, and once you become savvy in this area, you can take luck so far out of the equation as to ensure victory in nearly any given situation. It's strange to think about how much time I sank into this one, but it really is that good.

Daughters is interesting in that it plays the way people were scared the main game would before it came out—no combat, just avoiding some terrifying stalkers and slipping through their grasp when the jig is up. It's very well done, though, with a sense of creeping dread matching the scariest parts of the main game. The branching paths based on puzzles and exploration are impressively intricate, although the story is rather short as a consequence of that. Like Bedroom, this one doesn't demand replaying once you've seen all the outcomes, but it's definitely worth reaching that point.

Jack's 55th Birthday feels like another alternative to The Mercenaries, this time with a strong time attack focus. There are multiple stages, and while you get to start with all the resources you need, most of the challenge comes from getting the lay of the land and carefully managing your inventory in order to finish with a good time. It ends up being all about planning and routing, which lends it a unique feel; rather than divining order from chaos, you're simply rewarded for determining a solid plan and making good on it. It's also really lighthearted and upbeat (all the enemies wear party hats, if that gives you an idea), which is a nice break from all the tension in the rest of the game.

I've been pleased to discover all these modes add a lot to the experience, and it's not like the main game left me wanting, either. They're just very well-made additions to a solid foundation. Now to wait for Not a Hero and whatever's after that...
Old 06-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Nightmare kind of feels like a take on The Mercenaries adapted to RE7's survivalist bent. Instead of hunting enemies and herding them together to set up sick combos, you're constantly trying to stay ahead of them while setting traps, extending your territory, and stretching your resources as far as you can. The concept has legs and could certainly support more than the single stage they gave it.
I adore this mode. It's like tower defense, but instead of defending some stupid place from getting invaded you're crafting traps and tools to keep yourself from getting murdered horribly. I hope the future DLC will add at least one more stage. The wrecked ship would be a fun playground for this.

Alternatively/also an Endless Nightmare mode would be neat.

Quote:
Bedroom is large-scale puzzle box that plays out like the escape room sequence in the main game but is an order of magnitude more complex. I found the main game kind of light on puzzles overall, so this was great to sink my teeth into. There isn't much reason to go back to it once you've figured it out, but I'd love more scenarios like this.
Oh yes, definitely. Bedroom has no staying power, but it makes for a pretty great series of puzzles while it lasts. Would kill for more stuff like this.

Quote:
Ethan Must Die reminds me of the extra modes from RE2, 3, and CODE: Veronica, where you have a consistent starting point and have to survive a journey to a definite end point. Even more than in those games, though, there's a major focus on foraging for supplies, as you start with nothing and need to assemble an arsenal by the end so you can actually take out the boss. You also die in one hit to basically everything (if you're blocking, you might hang on with a sliver of health), but the need to retry over and over plays up the significance of the randomized items. The possibility of getting a major advantage from a single lucky drop is hard to resist; on the other hand, if you're decked out with an ideal inventory, you're under that much more pressure not to biff things since that means saying good-bye to a run that you're not likely to reproduce any time soon. Even when you think you've got all the non-random elements memorized forwards and backwards, there always seems to be just one more thing you never considered before, which of course is the thing that ends up killing you. Losing twenty minutes of progress over a single misstep can definitely be discouraging, but it'll be that much more satisfying when you finally succeed.
I very much have a love/hate relationship with this mode (and I dunno how I'll beat Spider-Marge at the end 'cuz that's been a wall for me in Madhouse) but I do enjoy bashing my head against this particular wall. I've come to recognize which boxes are dirty damn explosives and I've made it about halfway through the basement before.

Quote:
21 is much more addictive than any blackjack mini-game has a right to be. You and your opponent share a single deck of just eleven cards, so it's much more plausible to play the odds based on what cards are out than if you were playing with a deck of fifty-two. You and your opponent also get "trump cards" that can trigger a variety of effects, such as raising the other person's bet, swapping the last cards both players drew, or even changing the rules so the magic number is 24 or 27 instead of 21. Deciding which cards to use and when adds a lot in the way of variety and strategy, and once you become savvy in this area, you can take luck so far out of the equation as to ensure victory in nearly any given situation. It's strange to think about how much time I sank into this one, but it really is that good.
Only reason I haven't played this one yet is the Saw-like presentation. I may have had a hand sawed off (and later messily reattached), had a leg (possibly) hacked off, watched a cop's head get chopped in half, watched Jack and Clancy burn to death, watched Jack blow a hole through his head (ang grow it back), gotten my hands and head chopped by chainsaw shears, watched Jack's upper torso bloat and explode, torn off a mummified child's arm, reached down the now headless cop's neckhole to retrieve a key, watched a guy painfully puke himself to death, watched an old lady melt horribly, and gotten eaten alive by Kaiju Granny Blob, but I'm still a li'l reluctant to play a blackjack game where the bets involve mutilation and torture.

Really should rectify that soon, though. I do like blackjack, and the more I play it the more I'll get used to the gruesome consequences.

Quote:
Daughters is interesting in that it plays the way people were scared the main game would before it came out—no combat, just avoiding some terrifying stalkers and slipping through their grasp when the jig is up. It's very well done, though, with a sense of creeping dread matching the scariest parts of the main game. The branching paths based on puzzles and exploration are impressively intricate, although the story is rather short as a consequence of that. Like Bedroom, this one doesn't demand replaying once you've seen all the outcomes, but it's definitely worth reaching that point.
I haven't played this yet either, but that's more because I keep getting distracted by the more actiony bonus modes. Even if it's another mode with next to no replayability, I do like the "evade the bogeyman" genre of horror games.

Honestly, I think the RE Engine would be pretty great for a new Clock Tower game or reboot. Capcom has the rights to the series, and it's been more than long enough since the snafu that was Clock Tower 3. Just keep to straight horror, take anyone who wants to revive the Magical Girl nonsense or turn the Scissorman into Circus Wonder Twins again and seal them up behind a wall.

Quote:
Jack's 55th Birthday feels like another alternative to The Mercenaries, this time with a strong time attack focus. There are multiple stages, and while you get to start with all the resources you need, most of the challenge comes from getting the lay of the land and carefully managing your inventory in order to finish with a good time. It ends up being all about planning and routing, which lends it a unique feel; rather than divining order from chaos, you're simply rewarded for determining a solid plan and making good on it. It's also really lighthearted and upbeat (all the enemies wear party hats, if that gives you an idea), which is a nice break from all the tension in the rest of the game.
I might love this mode even more than Nightmare. Would also kill for a wrecked ship level with this one.

Quote:
Now to wait for Not a Hero and whatever's after that...
Hope there will be an announcement around the time we get to see actual screens and footage of the RE2 remake.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I very much have a love/hate relationship with this mode (and I dunno how I'll beat Spider-Marge at the end 'cuz that's been a wall for me in Madhouse)
It's definitely a fight worthy of the mode, but the good news is she doesn't have her bugs with her; it's just you and her. There are also a lot of traps strewn about the greenhouse, but they can be used against her. If you're lucky, she'll set off some of the tripwire bombs as she crawls around looking for you, and the second floor has a room with a gun turret that will become your best friend.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 PM
23 ski-dook

The new DLC is out for this and is very good. Both new episodes are pretty substantial and are intended to be played after finishing the main game. We get some resolution for Lucas and Zoe!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Come, noble knights!

I seriously need to redownload the game and my Cloud save when I get the chance. Really want to play The End of Zoe, especially after hearing about Awesome Uncle Joe and his Doom Guy approach to handling the nasty monsters.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM
23 ski-dook

Yeah, both new pieces of DLC are really great and fun.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Wrapped up not a hero and found myself a bit bored by it. I enjoyed having a real 'RE final boss' at the finale though.

End of Zoe is much more interesting so far, because I was one of the people that really felt she got the short end of the stick so I'm happy to see an epilogue for her.

But MAN, both these really kind of muck up the mood and vibe of the base game yeah? They're fine, and I can see them as a compromise to reach out to older fans of the series, but it's almost a bit too much for me. Ah well, I'm still enjoying myself, kind of wish they came up with some more Mercs like mode for the whole thing though. Endless nightmares is fun, so I'd like an expansion on that gameplay.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Video World S3 is begun!

Do you need the expansion pass to play Not a Hero? I thought it was free for everyone but it hasn't shown up on Steam.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Come, noble knights!

Have you tried updating the game? Can't say for sure, but Not a Hero might be added via patch instead of as separate DLC.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:09 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Do you need the expansion pass to play Not a Hero? I thought it was free for everyone but it hasn't shown up on Steam.
It's a separate download on Steam for some baffling reason.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Video World S3 is begun!

Huh. That is baffling indeed!

Tags
capcom , horror by the bayou , horror games , resident evil , sty and the family son , welcome to the family son