The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He
Default LttP: Resident Evil 5: Borders Without Doctors

Or "Resident Fieval" as I likes to call it.

Anyway, despite really liking the more action-oriented RE games (or, at least, those I've played), and despite RE5 being available for a very long time, I haven't ever actually sat down to enjoy it until... like... this past Tuesday. And that was after getting the PS4 port when it was dirt cheap back in September and figuring I'd get around to it some day.

Anyway, not too far along into it (just met, and immediately learned to hate, the Cronenberg-dogs, just after fighting Wiggly-worm Man) but I'm really liking it so far. I was apprehensive of letting Sheva have a gun, figuring that the AI would be firing bullets all willy-nilly and I'm juuuuust bad enough at RE games that even when monsters drop ammo like bullet-filled pinatas bullets are still precious to me.

Is there any use to holding on to treasure like in RE4, where you could make them worth more by slotting different treasures together, or should I just be junking these things as quickly as possible? Also, like in RE4, should I be sticking with and constantly upgrading the starting gun since it becomes a hand-sized Armageddon delivery system when fully upgraded?
Old 12-02-2016, 03:06 PM
I am a Gundam!

I don't think you need to keep treasures, and if you do, you can just replay the mission you got it from to get another copy.

The starting gun is okay, but it's ammo capacity-focused, not power focused. It's the perfect gun to upgrade for the AI, though, because you can cram so many gosh-darn bullets into it. I think it's got a clip size of 100 rounds at max upgrades. As a side note, any gun you upgrade to max is eligible to be upgraded to an infinite ammo version after your first playthrough.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:10 PM

I do recommend upgrading the "starter" guns in each category. You'll see why when you max them out. Also, I forget off the top of my head, but I don't remember any treasure combining. I do remember tons of different jewels and an achievement for collecting all of them, though.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Sure, give her anything short of a magnum. You'll pick up at least a couple of extraneous guns throughout the game (no need for a Scorpion and an AK), so you can at least toss her one of those.

Or just play online with me, your friend, Kishi.
Seriously, hit me up.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Is the multiplayer cross-platform? If so, you can also yell at me sometime to play with you!

Treasure can and should be sold on the spot, because they can't be combined.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Quote:
Seriously, hit me up.
I'm free on Sunday, so I might well!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Is the multiplayer cross-platform? If so, you can also yell at me sometime to play with you!
lol
Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Now I've got a hoverboat and I'm tooling around a swamp looking for precious treasures and shooting every person I see because they are all sick and thus need a lead supplement.

Also, occasionally chickens, but they don't seem to carry eggs in their corpses this time so that's just a waste of a bullet that could have otherwise been put to better use by going inside someone who has a clam for a head.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Off the Hook av collects

Pronouns: he / his

Man, it's been a while since I played the main game, but chickens do drop eggs when shot in Mercs. I think you have to let them wander around a bit in the main game to lay eggs.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:58 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Or "Resident Fieval" as I likes to call it.

Anyway, despite really liking the more action-oriented RE games (or, at least, those I've played), and despite RE5 being available for a very long time, I haven't ever actually sat down to enjoy it until... like... this past Tuesday. And that was after getting the PS4 port when it was dirt cheap back in September and figuring I'd get around to it some day.

Anyway, not too far along into it (just met, and immediately learned to hate, the Cronenberg-dogs, just after fighting Wiggly-worm Man) but I'm really liking it so far. I was apprehensive of letting Sheva have a gun, figuring that the AI would be firing bullets all willy-nilly and I'm juuuuust bad enough at RE games that even when monsters drop ammo like bullet-filled pinatas bullets are still precious to me.

Is there any use to holding on to treasure like in RE4, where you could make them worth more by slotting different treasures together, or should I just be junking these things as quickly as possible? Also, like in RE4, should I be sticking with and constantly upgrading the starting gun since it becomes a hand-sized Armageddon delivery system when fully upgraded?
I seem to recall there being treasures you can upgrade, but I might be wrong. It should be in the item description if there is. I got the achievement for upgrading all of the weapons and all of the guns are good, use whatever you want. Some are better than others, of course, but you'll be fine. Talk of Sheva's AI being bad are way overblown. Just give her the guns you don't want. The version of The Mercenaries in RE5 is EXCELLENT AS HECK.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:41 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yeah, RE5 is a step down from RE4, but co-op is fun and Mercenaries mode is better.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Off the Hook av collects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yeah, RE5 is a step down from RE4, but co-op is fun and Mercenaries mode is better.
Pretty much all this. Especially Gold, which has a second Mercenaries mode with more versatile characters.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

The guys who are almost Dr. Salvadore are the worst. They take a huge amount of damage and if you mess up shooting them in the head for a punch, they kill you immediately.

How rude!
Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Everything Is A Cave

RE5 is one of those games I replay once a year because it's great, and also it was the first game I got for my current console, though I've never finished a run on the PC version I have (rip)

Anyway, Enemies What Kill You Instantly only get more fun, so be prepared for Fun.

also the first smg you get can be upgraded to have something like 250 ammo capacity, making it extremely silly

on the egg matter, i wonder if the duplication glitch is still a thing...
Old 12-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I am a Gundam!

Also, if you don't know that flash grenades instakill plagas, be aware that flash grenades instakill plagas. It's super important, and makes flash grenades one of the most potent offense weapons at points.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

I accidentally chose the wrong option when I was finished playing and opted to restart the section I was in without saving my inventory and all the expensive treasures and fancy new weapons, instead of backing out of the End Game menu. So that's tragic. Don't even really know why that was an option.

Also, I'm now in a secret underground base and all the zombies have shifted to guys in fatigues with metal helmets and also the MONSTER QUOTIENT has increased sharply. Since this is an RE game it stands to reason that I'm nearly finished.

I appreciated finding a memo that mentioned that while the other four or five times Umbrella made a virus that turned people into monsters didn't pan out, they're sure they're on to a winner this time. And also, that there's absolutely no difference between Ouroborus and any of the other bioweapons they've used.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

I seem to be at the f'realzies end of the game now (just fought a big ol' octopile by shooting it with satellites, which seems pretty final boss-y) and I just had a question about the plot that could have stood to have been a little bit clearer (plus I was also watching TV during the relevant cutscenes); is the reason Wesker keeps surviving things that should really have killed him that he's a different Wesker every time? The Old Wheelchair Dude mentioned that Wes was built specifically to handle Ouroborus without going all squiddy and that he had a bunch of Wesker Clones that all wound up dead, but there's also a note FROM Wesker mentioning how he should have died in the mansion way back in RE1.

So were the clones all used for Oroborus research or has Umbrella just been throwing Wesker-after-Wesker at all its problems?
Old 12-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Little Waves

There's only one Albert Wesker. The Wesker Children aren't clones.

Quote:
Alex is another of the Wesker Children. None of the kids were clones or even related; they were taken from all over the world and unknowingly raised by Umbrella as likely candidates for the race of superhumans Spencer wanted to rule over. The prototype virus Wesker took to fake his death in RE1 and subsequently get super powers turned out to be another part of the project: All the kids were made to take it by some means or another, most of them dying from it. By the time Spencer died, Albert and Alex were the only ones still alive. Alex might have been the one closest to Spencer, since he trusted her to find a way for him to achieve immortality. But it turned out she was actually just bleeding his resources for her own pursuits, and she eventually went ghost on him.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

This series has surprisingly deep lore for a considering they're about 'sploding/cautiously sidestepping zombies.

One minor detail I liked is that because the Ouroborus is a cross between the Plagas and the new (well, "new") Progenitor Virus, all the monsters are almost the exact same as those in 4, except they turn into squids instead of bugs. A perfectly valid excuse for reusing the same ideas.

Still bugs me that Irving wound up being fifty times larger when he got infected though with nothing actually supplying him with more mass. I know this is the last series I should expect realistic biochemistry from, but still...
Old 12-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Off the Hook av collects

It just shows how puny of a man he actually is (Irving).
Old 12-18-2016, 05:56 PM
hang high, soft star

S rank thread title.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

And now the credits are a-rolling. I've successfully solved Africas health crisis by executing everyone who is ill. Died 16 times at the first phase of the final boss.

Game never quite hit the same level as 4, but not for a lack of trying. And even then, it's more in the sense that Back to the Future 2 and 3 aren't as good as the original. Most of the boss fights were, if not fun, at least inoffensive (except for the penultimate Wesker fight, and the rematch against Wigglyworm Man, those things SUCKED).

Given it's reputation, I was expecting the boulder QTE to be a lot stupider. It was still pretty stupid. But not TERRIBLY stupid. And the dramatic camera-spinning sunglasses attack may be my new favorite part of this franchise.

In any case, I kinda want to try RE6 despite it's dreadful reputation now. But I also have a scarcely-touched Revelations 2 sitting there on my shelf, looking at me with come-hither eyes. Plus it stars Claire and Barry, so it kind of wins by default!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 AM
Video World S3 is begun!

Rev 2 is the best the best the best.

Tags
capcom , horror games , resident evil , resident fieval