The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Other than Psychos, I was really impressed with vanilla DR2 and will certainly be diving in for another go-around. Right now I'm trying to earn enough cash to buy the Knight Armor boots at the pawn shop to complete my Ghosts 'n Goblins cosplay outfit and unlock that sweet second health bar. Also, what's the general opinion of DR2: Off the Record compared to the first game? I might pick that up once I've mined out all of DR2's content.
OTR is pretty fun, though it recycles most things from DR2 - most of the Psychos are the same - Chuck replaces the motorbike Psycho, a new clown Psycho is added to the new area, and the final boss is different. Most of the changes are quality of life updates - money is easier to come by (Frank gets twice as much money as Chuck from ATMs for example), Frank doesn't have to return to the safe room with Zombrex (as he uses it on himself), you can still move around when answering calls, the Case West weapons are included in the base game, time stops when checking the map/changing objectives, and there is a Sandbox mode that lets you wander freely around Fortune City doing challenges which functions much like infinite mode from DR1 (i.e. all survivors are hostile). They also added "jumpscare" zombies that randomly show up in locations - primarily just around door frames and in bathroom stalls.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Spear of Justice

That all sounds great; definitely planning to check out OTR at some point.

On that note, I'm sure this has already been discussed extensively, but Off the Record has such a weird damn premise. Like, what other games (or any kind of media, really) ever non-canonically retread one particular story featuring a swapped-out protagonist and a host of other minor plot/character tweaks? It's really bizarre.

And no, the Plant chapter of MGS2 doesn't count.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
On that note, I'm sure this has already been discussed extensively, but Off the Record has such a weird damn premise. Like, what other games (or any kind of media, really) ever non-canonically retread one particular story featuring a swapped-out protagonist and a host of other minor plot/character tweaks? It's really bizarre.

And no, the Plant chapter of MGS2 doesn't count.
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is the lady protagonist version of Persona 3 Portable.

I can think of a few "almost" qualifications, like Deceptions 4 Blood Ties and Nightmare Princess, but except for the fact that almost all the enemies and stages are reused assets, it's pretty much a different game altogether.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

New Super Luigi U is another "almost" qualifier. It reuses New Super Mario Bros. U's cutscenes, enemies, bosses, power-ups, world map, and general level themes with a floaty jump Luigi taking over the MC role, but all the actual levels are brand new challenges.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Spear of Justice

Picked up the new uprezzed port of DR1 on Steam last night. It looks really nice, although the framerate seems a bit shaky when I tilt the camera up or down for some reason. I still love how bright and sunny this game is, and the new textures are super-sharp. Frank's goofy mug has never looked better! Oh, and now you get five whole save slots.

Unfortunately the survivors are just as dumb as in the original release D:
Old 09-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Come, noble knights!

I'm currently in the process of downloading Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. Would go a lot faster if I could directly hook up to modem in the living room, but I'm in no rush.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:52 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I finished the campaign of the 360 version of Off the Record last week. I spent the weekend mopping up the Sandbox challenges, but ended up getting stuck at a silver on one of them.

I don't think I consciously did so, but I ended up playing Off the Record's campaign much like I did the original Dead Rising. Since I already had gained my first 20 levels in Sandbox Mode, I didn't feel the pressure to load up on combo weapons. Plus, it's a bit of a waste to do so, because magazines do not affect them at all (with the exception of the Slicecycle, which you can use longer with the Bikes magazine). So much like in DR1, get the Blades magazine to keep your bladed weapons longer--and the Construction magazine dupes the effect with Chainsaws (that aren't comboed).

You're going to get the majority of your PP from rescuing survivors anyway. However, the challenges in Sandbox are perfect for racking up money, PP, and generally just taking the pressure off.

I just have to say that the Stiff Back challenge in Sandbox is like the worst thing ever. It's embarrassing to even describe, and getting a gold medal, even with every exploit I've read about, is nearly impossible without mapping every step of the way. Hated hated hated hated it. Fortunately, getting the protoman gear doesn't require it.

The ability to grind in Sandbox also makes the bosses a lot less of a problem. I was level 48 by the time I beat campaign, since I started it at level 20 and rescued as many survivors as I could. Despite the claims the survivor AI is way toned in OTR vs. DR2, I didn't notice. They're still very capable, very useful in a group, and can largely handle themselves. The only survivors I didn't rescue were secret ones that I would have had to read a FAQ to get.

I did definitely appreciate the game a little more than I did when I came back to DR2 and criticized it a little. There may be subtle improvements I didn't notice, though. I thought the camera was a little better, actually. I turned Chase Camera off, FWIW.

The little twists/changes in the story were minor, but it means there's still some new things to expect. The final battle in Overtime mode is very similar, but is actually way easier now because you get another battle royale against zeds like you do in the beginning of the game. You're still stripped of all the gear you came to the arena with, like in DR2, but during the battle royale you can get steel chairs, 2x4s, etc. When you actually fight TK, OJ is more accessible.

So by starting the final battle with TK loaded with melee weapons, the fight is instantly way easier. I mopped him up first go. I did have to do more to tend to Rebecca than I did hoisting up Stacey and Katey, but still not much of a sweat.

I didn't know that they upgraded the textures in DR1's re-release. That's interesting. Seems a shame that they didn't bring the survivors up to DR2 or OTR's level in terms of AI, but maybe they worried about purists' opinions.

Quote:
That all sounds great; definitely planning to check out OTR at some point.

I was thinking Final Fight Guy, but that was due to limitations of the original release not having him, the likely unfeasible expense springing for a bigger cart years later to include all three heroes, and didn't affect the canon.

I'd argue OTR adds enough to justify its existence, plus it was less than full priced when released.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:19 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
OTR is pretty fun, though it recycles most things from DR2 - most of the Psychos are the same - Chuck replaces the motorbike Psycho, a new clown Psycho is added to the new area, and the final boss is different. Most of the changes are quality of life updates - money is easier to come by (Frank gets twice as much money as Chuck from ATMs for example), Frank doesn't have to return to the safe room with Zombrex (as he uses it on himself), you can still move around when answering calls, the Case West weapons are included in the base game, time stops when checking the map/changing objectives, and there is a Sandbox mode that lets you wander freely around Fortune City doing challenges which functions much like infinite mode from DR1 (i.e. all survivors are hostile). They also added "jumpscare" zombies that randomly show up in locations - primarily just around door frames and in bathroom stalls.
A few other things:

-They changed locations of a lot of things. Weapons, magazines, some survivors, the timing and locations of missions often were switched up.

Much of this means that combo weapons that were readily available are now harder to make. I noticed that, in general, my staples from DR2 were harder to obtain. You no longer have an ax and a sledgehammer right inside the door that leads to the saferoom. That meant you could get a defiler anytime you want in the original game. Right outside, you could get Bowie knives and boxing gloves to make knife gloves. This did encourage me to experiment more at first, but I ended up falling back on blades and shotguns.

-You can't check your watch in "real time" anymore. Since they included an option for Frank to inject himself with zombrex, and they provide the option to fatally inject yourself when it's not between 7 AM to 8 AM, the only way to check the time is by pulling up the map. Weird, but minor change. I guess they didn't want you to check the time and accidentally kill yourself.

-There is now a requirement to collect 1 million dollars to clear a story mission. This is not a problem since money you collect in sandbox carries over, you get more money from ATMs than Chuck did, Challenges give you money when cleared (even on repeat runs; I failed to get gold on a lot of missions at first, but repeated tries at them were good for my wallet).

-Frank is more of a goofy wiseass in this game than he was in DR or Chuck ever was. I complained about the DR4 reveal of Frank because it seems they turned him into modern, self-deprecating, washed-up action hero Bruce Campbell, complete with age jokes, fat jokes, and cheesy one-liners. Well, it started in Off the Record. It's easier to put up with here because at least its non-canon. However, it can be a bit off putting.

-Chuck puts in an appearance, as a psychopath. In this version of events, Katie didn't survive and Chuck has become a drunk with delusions of her still being alive. He rides around the park in his slicecycle instead of that other guy from DR2.

-New combo weapons and combo cards. Many of the new ones are completely, and utterly broken. The Super BFG and Laser Gun are particularly good.

-The costumes that were DLC in Dead Rising 2 are now free, available as unlockable rewards. They work a little differently, because you only get the effects of the outfits by wearing all pieces of them. Previously, you could mix and match them and any one piece would give you all of the costumes' abilities.

-There are new DLC costumes: The Cosplay Warrior, BBQ Chef, Cyborg Frank and Firefighter are exclusive to OTR. I assume these are included free with the Anniversary releases.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM
Come, noble knights!

Off the Record also included a cheats menu as DLC. It turns off achievements/trophies when in use, but you can get stuff like infinite life/durability/ammo, unlock all combo cards, and silly stuff like bobbleheads and Paper Frank.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Come, noble knights!

Playing Off the Record's remaster now. Unsurprisingly, it looks like the game could use a little patching, and I'm guessing the others do, too. It froze up once in the art gallery, and blood's not displaying properly on Frank.

Cheats menu isn't working either, so I'm guessing the Gamebreaker Pack DLC hasn't been included due to potential bugs...or 'cuz Capcom thinks (Correctly...=/ ) that they can wring another $5 out of me players for a good ol' fashioned cheats menu. Hopefully it'll show up in a later patch.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I can't even feign surprise at that. It's easy to laugh and say "hah! Can't even get a 10 year old game re-release right!" However, it has new textures and presumably was rebuilt on a newer engine, so I doubt it was as simple as one might think.

Still, reviews for it seem to be more positive that I'd have expected. Maybe game reviewers remember the first DR1 fondly enough that it's actually got nostalgia appeal for many. I expected it to be savaged for its many inconvenient little quirks.

Oddly, I'm not seeing reviews for the re-release of DR2 or OTR. Maybe Capcom asked for them to be held after patch? Or something else weird like that.

There are a lot of negative comments about the original DR2/OTR though. Much of it seems to be animosity towards Capcom Vancouver, maybe stemmed by the changes to take plus in 4. Including the old "Western developer ruins sequel to Japanese game." Despite, you know, the sequel being very good, and the series now having more Western entries than Japanese.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:38 AM
Come, noble knights!

Aside from the blood being a li'l glitchy and mild disappointment at the cheats thing and not much in the way of texture upgrades, I've been enjoying my time with the Off the Record remaster so far. It's almost surreal to see the game looking a li'l fancier while also running at a higher framerate, and PS Share's definitely renewed my interest in it.

The Mega Man 10 slot machines are a bit harsher in hindsight though, but it's not like the team knew Mega Man would stop getting non-rerelease/non-phone games or that Konami would fire Kojima and relegate most of its properties and people to pachislots..
Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Family Man

Since I don't have an Xbox One I wasn't paying attention to Dead Rising 4. That guy doesn't look, sound or act like Frank West. Ugh.

On the bigger issue, I assume this doesn't happen in Japan where voice actors are treated as gods, but in the west this is a major occurrence.

Tags
capcom , dead rising , dress-up game , zombies