The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6571  
Old 10-18-2017, 12:25 AM
Olli T's Avatar
Olli T Olli T is offline
concentrate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,453
Default

Damn, though
Reply With Quote
  #6572  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:49 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,748
Default

The teams (or single team?) doing trailers Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther are really nailing it.

On the other hand, the scene where Black Panther fights Bad Black Panther makes me less interested in the movie itself. I think the only Marvel movie where The Hero, But Bad worked as an antagonist was Winter Soldier, and that was mostly because the main thrust of the movie wasn't so much Cap vs. Bucky, but rather Cap vs. The Security State. I hope Bad Black Panther is some minor incident resolved early on and not the crux of the story or the climax the movie leads up to...
Reply With Quote
  #6573  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 PM
TheSL's Avatar
TheSL TheSL is offline
World of Darkness Returns
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 23,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
On the other hand, the scene where Black Panther fights Bad Black Panther makes me less interested in the movie itself.
Well, Black Panther's traditional foes are sometimes...less sensitive culturally.
Reply With Quote
  #6574  
Old 10-18-2017, 02:31 PM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is offline
coral reefer madness
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh
Posts: 12,821
Default

FWIW, the use of Immigrant Song in the Ragnarok trailer is, indeed, quite inspired.
Reply With Quote
  #6575  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Torzelbaum's Avatar
Torzelbaum Torzelbaum is offline
????? LV 13 HP 292/
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Pronouns: he, him, his
Posts: 11,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Gotta remind people that they have already seen this character, I guess.
"Hey, did you forget that Hobbit trilogy Bilbo is in the MCU now?
Reply With Quote
  #6576  
Old 10-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Büge's Avatar
Büge Büge is offline
Toothsome!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TO, ON, CA
Pronouns: She/Her
Posts: 15,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
"Hey, did you forget that Hobbit trilogy Bilbo is in the MCU now?
Reply With Quote
  #6577  
Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 7,619
Default

I am destroyed.
Reply With Quote
  #6578  
Old 10-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 7,619
Default

I am briefly un-destroyed to tell you that The Punisher now has a release date: November 17
Reply With Quote
  #6579  
Old 10-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
Mr. Jackpots
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 19,398
Default

There are reviews for Thor 3 and they are pretty good
Reply With Quote
  #6580  
Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Starts with your heart
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
The teams (or single team?) doing trailers Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther are really nailing it.

On the other hand, the scene where Black Panther fights Bad Black Panther makes me less interested in the movie itself. I think the only Marvel movie where The Hero, But Bad worked as an antagonist was Winter Soldier, and that was mostly because the main thrust of the movie wasn't so much Cap vs. Bucky, but rather Cap vs. The Security State. I hope Bad Black Panther is some minor incident resolved early on and not the crux of the story or the climax the movie leads up to...
I want Black Panther to fight Evil Creed and I want that fight to last... many minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #6581  
Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I want Black Panther to fight Evil Creed and I want that fight to last... many minutes.
I really like Michael B. Jordon, and I am down to watch him do pretty much whatever.

Two stunt doubles in matching Good and Evil cat-suits though? Well . . .
Reply With Quote
  #6582  
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 7,619
Default

WOO, CATFIGHT
Reply With Quote
  #6583  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Positronic Brain's Avatar
Positronic Brain Positronic Brain is offline
Out Of Warranty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Pronouns: He/him
Posts: 9,232
Default

I finished watching Defenders and, yes, it was boring. The only thing that was fun was the supporting cast meeting each other, and that really wore off its novelty soon.

I curse Daredevil S2 for ruining ninja's for me, and for making Elektra such a bore. Also, most of the cast was squandered here, and I resent that this was basically Daredevil S3. This is a series that culminates with a fight against an army of ninjas deep down Manhattan among the corpse of a dragon - sounds so cool in paper, but I was just watching the clock to see how much I had to endure until the series ended. And the blame is squarely in the writers, who didn't have the imagination or budget (or both) to properly use their superpowered cast. Heck, Luke Cage's big idea for surprising the bad guys in the last episode was awful, and something I'd expect from a first year high school play.

The only two good things that happened here are a) Misty Knight will finally have a excuse to get that robot arm and b) Sigourney Weaver will be able to make the next payment for her winter mansion. Bonus: I won't have to stand Stick anymore, unless *groan* the Hand resurrects him.
Reply With Quote
  #6584  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Büge's Avatar
Büge Büge is offline
Toothsome!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TO, ON, CA
Pronouns: She/Her
Posts: 15,716
Default

Yay, Valkyrie is bisexual.

Boo, it's bisexual-in-name-only.

"Representation" doesn't mean anything if you don't represent.
Reply With Quote
  #6585  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 7,619
Default

That's really disappointing. Reminds me of (as alluded to in the /Film article) J.K. Rowling trying to get credit after the fact by claiming there was actually invisible diversity all along in the HP books. Oh Dumbledore was actually gay but you'd never know it, oh there were Jewish students at Hogwarts but they never did anything noteworthy, oh it was a melting pot. Fuck you. Have the courage of your convictions and actually depict the diversity you claim exists in your work. No points for Gryffindor.
Reply With Quote
  #6586  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Bleck Bleck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,762
Default

At least we're getting that depiction in the fourteen Dumbledore prequel films, wooo
Reply With Quote
  #6587  
Old 10-24-2017, 04:02 PM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is offline
coral reefer madness
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh
Posts: 12,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
fourteen Dumbledore prequel films
at this point I have no effin' clue what's real and what's not in terms of production rumors. it all sounds equally plausible in our post-emoji movie world
Reply With Quote
  #6588  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Torzelbaum's Avatar
Torzelbaum Torzelbaum is offline
????? LV 13 HP 292/
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Pronouns: he, him, his
Posts: 11,852
Default

Does that mean the Bifrost actually only has one frost?
Reply With Quote
  #6589  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:46 AM
Pombar's Avatar
Pombar Pombar is offline
Curious Young Gent
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
That's really disappointing. Reminds me of (as alluded to in the /Film article) J.K. Rowling trying to get credit after the fact by claiming there was actually invisible diversity all along in the HP books. Oh Dumbledore was actually gay but you'd never know it, oh there were Jewish students at Hogwarts but they never did anything noteworthy, oh it was a melting pot. Fuck you. Have the courage of your convictions and actually depict the diversity you claim exists in your work. No points for Gryffindor.
Dumbledore I get but did we need every ethnicity explicitly pointed to? It might be weird for Americans to not see any obvious visible Jewish people but demographics in the UK are a bit different, no? HP basically had similar makeup to a modern day public school like Eton and Harrow, on which it is modeled. Had a few represented minorities as one might expect from a UK school of that kind. The stranger thing was the all-white, all British teaching staff. I guess when the UK only has one wizarding school it has enough wasp teachers for that to be possible.

Plus religion was deliberately avoided as much as possible in HP to avoid how it may or may not interact with the magic stuff (she didn’t want to write an anti-God fable, that was Pullman’s pet project).

Last edited by Pombar; 10-25-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6590  
Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 AM
Karzac's Avatar
Karzac Karzac is offline
Dinger!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 10,747
Default

Religion was avoided, except, you know, everyone celebrates Christmas and Easter and makes a huge deal of it in every book. And there are a bunch of mentions of saints.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, the critique about the conspicuous absence of Jewish students from Hogwarts stems from the fact that goblins are portrayed in a way very much in line with Jewish stereotypes (hooked noses, pockmarked skin, greedy, conniving, work in banks, speak nonsense language). Paired with the fact that there are no actual Jews in the wizarding world (save for, apparently, that one dickish Goldstein kid in book five), it really seems like the goblins are meant to be stand-ins for Jews and that's something worth critiquing.
Reply With Quote
  #6591  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Pombar's Avatar
Pombar Pombar is offline
Curious Young Gent
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,673
Default

Though those events are celebrated as irreligious modern and secular holidays rather than as religious events - the weasleys don’t go to mass or quaker meeting on xmas morning, and I guess the idea was that British kids would find it weirder for xmas to not be celebrated (in keeping with her avoiding making any critiques of religion).

Certainly anti-semitic stereotypes in fantasy and scifi creatures are a real issue that creators all too often overlook when they replicate, but it doesn’t seem likely that she decided to leave out Jewish characters due to feeling like they were already represented by Goblins. Seems more like she didn’t think to include any because it’s not a significant minority group in her life or her idea of traditional British public schools while also but separately regurgitating problematic elements inherent in certain fantasy tropes.

However upon rereading it seems like the original point was that, like with her after-the-fact outing of Dumbledore, she tried to claim diversity by having Jewish students where she hadn’t included any in the books. That’s weak.
Reply With Quote
  #6592  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 7,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
However upon rereading it seems like the original point was that, like with her after-the-fact outing of Dumbledore, she tried to claim diversity by having Jewish students where she hadn’t included any in the books. That’s weak.
Yeah.

JK Rowling confirms that there were Jewish wizards at Hogwarts

Quote:
These are happy days for Harry Potter fans. Not only are they getting daily snippets of a new Harry Potter “ghost plot” that JK Rowling is unveiling for Advent on her website Pottermore, but the author - always very active on Twitter - has also taken to the social network to confirm that Hogwarts was, or is, a diverse school.

In response to inquiries from her Jewish fans, Rowling clarified last night that there were Jewish students at the wizardry school and revealed the name of one of them, Anthony Goldstein, who was among the original 40 students she created for the first book in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. She also assured fans there would be LGBT students in the school, as well as anyone from any “religion/belief/non-belief system” – except for Wiccans (a reference perhaps to the longrunning debate among American fundamentalists as to whether the saga promoted witchcraft).
"Yeah there were totally whatever kind of students you said, they were all over the place doing the same stuff you do and totally representing your miscellaneous identity. I just couldn't find space in 17,000 pages to mention any of them. Here's the name of one of them though, enjoy knowing that he never did anything worth reading about. (Wiccans can specifically get fucked tho)"
Reply With Quote
  #6593  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 AM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is offline
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 30,192
Default

And this is why I will always hold fast to Death of the Author.

I mean, yeah, the creators can say whatever they want about their work post-facto. But if it's not actually there, it's not there. Period. Not even if you claim you put in hints so vague and unreasonable that you need to clarify them yourself in a random interview that only contemporaries will have access to, let alone remember fifty years from now.
Reply With Quote
  #6594  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:19 AM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,748
Default

The flipside of the death of the author of it is that people were reading Dumbledore as gay for Grindelwald before Rowling announced it, and that reading was already valid before she gave it her blessing.
Reply With Quote
  #6595  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Daikaiju's Avatar
Daikaiju Daikaiju is offline
King Of Space-Time
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,757
Default

Reply With Quote
  #6596  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is offline
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 30,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
The flipside of the death of the author of it is that people were reading Dumbledore as gay for Grindelwald before Rowling announced it, and that reading was already valid before she gave it her blessing.
I would assume that people reading that had found evidence to present that argument, making it a valid interpretation. Rowling's post-facto blessing would then bolster its validity up until the point someone else interpreted the text to argue against it. Both interpretations could then coexist.

Kinda like the recent "Is Snape trans?" argument. Fans came up with it on their own, using the text itself as basis. Its subjectivity doesn't make it any less valid an interpretation, it just remains that: an interpretation.

When the community comes up with something like this from the text, its great. I'm all for diversity of representation and diversity of interpretation. When the author tries to cling to it for brownie points, without ACTUALLY putting in the effort, it chafes.
Reply With Quote
  #6597  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 PM
conchobhar's Avatar
conchobhar conchobhar is offline
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Snowy climes of Canada
Pronouns: He/Him
Posts: 2,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
When the community comes up with it on its own, its great. I'm all for diversity of representation and diversity of interpretation. When the author tries to cling to it for brownie points, without ACTUALLY putting in the effort, it chafes.
Yes. Likewise, it's great if a fan wants to "read in" and assume a racially and religiously diverse Hogwarts; Rowling claiming that it actually, canonically was, and it just strangely never came up is stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #6598  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,748
Default

The other other flipside of the death of the author is that the author gets to have their own readings of their own works. Authorial readings aren't authoritative, but they're potentially worth considering.
Reply With Quote
  #6599  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 7,619
Default

There's no reading of Harry Potter, by the author or otherwise, which could extrapolate that there was totally a Jewish wizard named Anthony Goldstein in Harry's class (and also members of every "religion/belief/non-belief system") if none of those things were ever mentioned. J.K. Rowling may give herself an A+ for representation, but it's based on things that have no support in the text itself.
Reply With Quote
  #6600  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
There's no reading of Harry Potter, by the author or otherwise, which could extrapolate that there was totally a Jewish wizard named Anthony Goldstein in Harry's class
As a matter of fact, readers did assume that Anthony Goldstein was Jewish, before Rowling said so. (A quick twitter search shows people talking about this years earlier, so presumably also before twitter existed.)

There's a lot of valid criticism of Rowling and Harry Potter, but in both of the specific cases mentioned, Rowing was just confirming pre-existing readings.

(This is way off topic...)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007