The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Oh yes, I like these

Edit: Including the last two posts so they're not lost to last-page syndrome:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Hey, on the earlier subject of Guncannons, I decided to pick up this weird little thing: The Re/100 Guncannon Detector.

I mainly got it because I thought it was a neat thing to come out of the Re/100 line. Stuff like this is what I really like about the line, and am happy that it's continuing. It's kind of flimsy, though. A lot of empty space in the kit and parts that just kind of hang on there without a lot of support, but that seems to be because it's such a fat mobile suit. I imagine that if this was a MG it would be a little more filled out, and probably a touch sturdier. Still, I liked the design and it was a short little build.

Also it came with a weapon meant for the Bandai Premium MG Desert Nemo, which is kind of goofy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
The Zaku build was a while ago and I just never uploaded pictures, but I just finished this Z'gok build last night!

It ended up being faster and simpler than some of (or any of?) the others I've done, but it had a lot of cool parts. The claws on the hands, the segmented arm & leg pieces, and the upper body shape were all pretty cool (also the double-jointed feet). It could have used a few more colors, I suppose, but it turned out neat. I screwed up the big sticker on the cockpit front and center and it got a bit torn. But I do like all the shiny red detail stickers it has on the body exhausts and arms, it gives the model a bit of flash and color.

Kaempfer is up next, though I might take a bit of break before I dive in. I might pick up one (or two) (or all three...) of the Pacific Rim Uprising models. The designs are not nearly as good as the first movie, but they still look like cool/detailed builds. After that... I honestly don't think I'll get any more of these? At least, not yet. I do have the Zeta series sitting around waiting to be watched, and if I find some cool MS designs there...
Zeta is a goldmine of amazing, bizarre robot designs. Some of the world's finest.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

I've got a MG DEEP STRIKER coming to me soon!

In the meantime, I started watching the Giant Bomb folks build some Labo kits and it made me just SUPER want to build something. So I put together these two cuties I got at the same time as the Guncannon Detector.

Wish that they came with little beam effects so they could do what they're doing on the box, though.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Wow, they're really milking the Petit'gguy variants huh? I mean, not that I'm complaining about Lockon Stratos Petit'gguy.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Objection!

I like this line of them because (for some of them) the placards have goofy phrases on them. The place near my parents' house that I've started getting some kits from also has Allelujah's, but I'm not as into his placard. I TOTALLY need to get Setsuna's and Tieria's, though. Hopefully they'll have them the next time I'm up to visit.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Objection!

Since those Petit'gguys only took me through less then an hour of GB's Labo video, I decided to spend the other 3 on finally building one of the 3-packs of LBXes I've had for a long time now.

Just, geez. I so love LBX kits. They're easy to build since the parts can generally be cleanly taken off the runners with just your hands, and are quick builds along the lines of HGs. But the build quality feels higher, and since LBX are 1/1 scale action figures, they don't feel as constrained as gunpla HGs do. And so many of them look incredible! It's really a shame the franchise has been discontinued. If nothing else, I wish Bandai had ported some of these design techniques (like the easy-remove parts, and the runners that themselves can be broken apart and separated into their specific build sections) over to the gunpla lines.

I didn't bother to do it with these, but the ones on the sides (Ikaros Force and Ikaros Zero) turn into weapons for the other one as one of their super moves.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:11 PM
Objection!

It's finally complete!

I ended up taking a very long time to put this one together, but it was mainly because the instructions were really dumb about what runners it wanted you to have on hand. Like, the arms section wanted nearly half of the runners, and you barely used any parts from some of them! I know Bandai was saving engineering time by just giving out old S Gundam runners for all the carry-over parts, but it also just feels so wasteful at the end when you get stuff like a couple of runners where I used maybe 10% of the parts on them.

Here's a few in-progress shots I took along the way:

And here's a couple of bonus shots:

All the left over runners that still had parts on them.

I made sure to dig my MG Ex-S out of storage so that all 3 of the MG S Gundams could stand together.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:43 PM

😍

That's fantastic, Umbalgo! It's so swole!!!!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Not a Beer

That's a lot of S Gundam. Nice!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:07 AM
Not a Beer

Finally broke down and ordered this guy despite my backlog because it was cheap on Amazon and I was using a gift certificate to buy other stuff, so basically free:

Maybe someday I'll get through my current shit and actually build some kits again.
(Honestly it would theoretically be a good distraction but between all the practical logistics of separating and also my job and also dealing with constantly staving off emotional breakdowns I just haven't found the time or energy.)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:39 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I like that gundam because it looks like it's holding accessories made for a larger scale figure XD
Old 06-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Glad you decided to pick one up finally, I know you'll love it. Take care of yourself btw, Kirin. I totally empathize your feelings right now. But I will say that in the past I found building extremely therapeutic for when I wasn't feelin' so great emotionally. If life slows down a lil and you can afford to/muster up the energy to, it might help a little.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It finally struck me what the Atlas design (less the buttwings) reminds me of; It looks like a Full Metal Panic mech, sort of an offshoot of an Arbalest.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:07 PM

Yo, speaking of FMP. I haven't dug into the new season because I don't remember ANYTHING about FMP outside of crotch-stomping in Fumoffu and bad love triangles, so I decided I was going to put off watching it until I rewatched the old shows.

I don't know why I told you guys that. But what I really wanted to get at was the fact that Bandai has put out some HG model kits for the new season, and they look pretty fresh:

Old 06-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

That's actually one of the things that I sort of dislike about the old Gonzo/Kyoani adaptations; I read through the manga (itself an adaptation of the LNs, but closer to them) a year or two ago and pretty much all of the school comedy and love triangle stuff goes out the window about where the first show ended (the Danaan Birthday Party incident). Sure, Tessa always carries a torch for Sousuke, but the material never really wavers from the whole Sousuke + Kaname story (the one who distorts the world and the one distorted by it) and there's a nice throughline that underlies the entire series' plot.

The will/won't they stuff comes off as much more Sousuke being emotionally unavailable to anyone, including himself, until about 2/3rds of the way through than from any love triangle shenanigans.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack