The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Fallen Angel is not fantastic, yeah. However, I'm still standing by One More Red Nightmare, no matter how many Pokemon references you throw at me!
Can't believe I forgot that one!! F'real, what a great track. Paranoia in song form.

Cool lifehack: if you're ever having a panic attack, listen to Red Nightmare, Indiscipline, and Lark's Tongues in Aspic pt. I. This will make it even worse
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 AM
What Time Is It?

Is Thela Hun Ginjeet fun or dumb?

I guess most rock and roll kind of fits into this question.

Man, I wish Absent Lovers was an amazon download.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Is Thela Hun Ginjeet fun or dumb?

I guess most prog rock is both.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
If anyone asks, I'm Gen

So I listened to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway yesterday. It was really good! Shockingly poppy for a prog album, too. Stand-out tracks for me would have to be the title track, Cuckoo Cocoon, Carpet Crawlers, and Counting Out Time. My absolute favorite part, though, was the very last song, It, which reminded me very much of the end of All-Star Superman, where Lex Luthor learns that the secret of existence is that we're all in this together, man. As an aside, that last sentence just might be the nerdiest I've ever written.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:04 PM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

You should check out the following album A Trick of the Tail as well. It's the first Phil Collins-fronted album but it also does a great job straddling the pop-prog divide.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

If anyone's at all interested in some recent prog-shaped happenings, you could do worse than check out Knifeworld. These guys are so prog, they even have a bassoonist as part of their regular line-up. Here's a track I've really been digging lately, from their "Dear Lord No Deal" EP released last year.

HMS Washout

Here's a more recent track, which is more pop hooky but still with a distinctly prog flavour:

Clairvoyant Fortnight
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
zero-leg insect

Prog and chiptunes by the guy that wrote the Shantae GBC sountrack, among many others. I suspect folks will be interested.

If I'm wrong I'll devise a full-handed Chinese finger trap and never post anything coherent on Talking Time again.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
It's dog eat dog

Camel's Breathless: DISCO PROG! So this is their best album, right?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Camel's Breathless: DISCO PROG! So this is their best album, right?
Yes. Echoes is great as well, barring a couple of dud tracks. I highly recommend their live albums, too -- all the good stuff without the twiddly filler tunes.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Your life is forfeit

Sorry, brain fart. Got their album titles mixed up. Echoes is a collection and a song on Breathless. Their best album is Rain Dances, which is great from start to finish. The Snow Goose is also good! And of course the live albums.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 PM
It's dog eat dog

Yes to play The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One on their upcoming tour

I'm glad the AV Club assigned some snide hipster to write the story.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Your life is forfeit

Wow, what a douche.

I wish the band were playing something from their latest album, though. It kills me that they put together a genuinely excellent record and then ignore it in favor of 40-year-old albums. Geezus.

I think I'll try to see them, though. Probably the last chance I have before they start retiring/dying/whatever
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Sudden chomper

Holy crap, those guys are old. Definitely old enough to know better than to keep their hair that long, anyway.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Yes to play The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One on their upcoming tour

I'm glad the AV Club assigned some snide hipster to write the story.
I'm not lauding the writing or anything, but I dunno if "snide hipster" really fits the style of this story. Yes has been THE quintessential wanky dinosaur-rock band for decades now- I feel like if you've gotta add flavor to a minor tour announcement bit like this one you might as well just play on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 AM
It's dog eat dog

Yea hipster is a pretty easy word to use. It's just the prog fan inferiority complex speaking.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
one zero zero one SOS

You all need to give a listen to Beardfish. Consistent rock-solid output for the last 5 or 6 years. The last two albums have a bit more edge to them, but are still absolutely in the prog vein. If you're a fan of Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, KC, etc. give Beardfish a listen. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Best song title (and my song of the last two years): And the Stone Said, "If I Could Speak"
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 PM
barf

Quote:
Yea hipster is a pretty easy word to use. It's just the prog fan inferiority complex speaking.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM

Been giving a re-listen to "Wind & Wuthering" lately, I did love this album a lot and listened to it a ton when I was wrapping up college a few years back. Hadn't thought of it since, but I think I've cooled on it a lot. Tony Banks is all over the place on this album, even MORE than he was on selling england by the pound (though maybe, just maybe on a good day I might think one for the vine is the best thing he's ever done). You can tell Phil and Rutherford by this point have prooobably largely mentally checked out from the expansive prog songs that they did previous, and Mike doesn't even sound close to filling the gap that Hackett's impending departure is about to leave (though he steps up by the time Duke comes along). There's flashes of brilliance all over, blood on the rooftops is probably the best on the album, and I have a soft spot for all in a mouse's night, but this just sounds scatter shot.

I still think that pound for pound, "A Trick Of The Tail" is the best Genesis album (then Foxtrot, then Duke or Nursery Cryme, for anyone who's keeping score), so I generally did really like this lineup. But I guess its pretty evident with this album that it wasn't long for this world.

Good lord does that Rutherford song stand out like a sore fucking thumb.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
It's dog eat dog

I always liked Wind & Wuthering too. The old online music community I was part of had a serious lemming complex about opinions, so it was randomly, near-unanimously treated as one of their worst albums, and I never really understood why. There's some seriously beautiful music on there, even if Trick outclasses it in creativity.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Your life is forfeit

Weird, I listened to Wind & Wuthering for the first time in ages yesterday. It has two brilliant tracks to open it and two brilliant tracks to close it (assuming you consider the final suite one piece), but I kind of hate everything in between. Definitely the greatest extremes of good and bad on one album in the Genesis catalog, but also not their worst project.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
100% All Original

So say I don't own any Yes music but I really like "I've Seen All Good People" and "Roundabout". What should I buy?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
twinkling photon

Fragile.

People will also suggest Close to the Edge, but for some reason I can't stand like 3/4ths of Close to the Edge. Too noodly
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

I'm listening to Renaissance right now. Everybody should be listening to Renaissance right now. After hearing the first track of Scheherazade and Other Stories, I immediately downloaded three more of their albums. There was a song on Steve Howe's self-titled album, Look Over Your Shoulder, with vocals from an Irish female singer... Renaissance is like that, but distilled into a more potent form.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 AM
It's dog eat dog

I dig Ashes Are Burning but never got around to delving deeper. Perhaps your post will serve as the proper impetus.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Steven Wilson is about to release his newest solo disc, The Raven that Refused to Sing (and Other Stories). A live track is up on Youtube (professionally produced, mind you) and it's faaaaabulous and so is the rest of the album.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

a pal of mine apparently found this 1977-vintage belt buckle whilst out antiquing today.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
barf

You photographed it on the perfect table.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Back to Front

Pronouns: he/him/his

Any of y'all ever hear of Crucis? I kinda just stumbled upon them by accident a few days ago, myself. They were an Argentinian prog rock band that was active for a few years in the seventies; they only ever made two albums, but hot damn there's some good shit to be found on them. For instance:

Determinados Espejos
Pollo Frito
Recluso Artista
No me separen de mí

You can find all their songs on this dude's YouTube channel; there's only eleven of them, so if you have any free time I recommend you give them a whirl. You might be surprised!

Last edited by Soren Highwind; 04-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
It's dog eat dog

Been listening to a bunch of Genesis lately so I updated my avatar in kind. Supper's Ready really is magnificent the whole way through.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 PM
has a big dumb face

I need to listen to more Yes. Also that there is a whole prog rock thread makes me ecstatic, because prog rock is best rock, probably. I mean whatever we want to call The Who is pretty damn good too.

Anyway, I've (relatively) recently discovered King Crimson, who hate me and have made none of their shit available in digital formats, so I've only been listening to them on Youtube.

I think we might count Shibboleth as prog, they're pretty cool and I think most of their stuff is on their website for free. therhythmisodd is another proggy (mostly) instrumental group that I need to listen to more.

There's so much good prog! I don't have time for it all! At least this thread is shorter than the metal thread, so I can probably make time to read it all (though I probably won't).

Tags
bloat boat , crimso , drum solo , he's in a floyd hole! , italo disco , lark tongues in aspic , pretentious , prog rock , rick wakeman needs a hug , rock wankman , william shatner=very yes