The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 AM
Back to the Bear

I didn't really want to get into this show, yet I guess it was inevitable after I bought the first season for five dollars on Amazon. It's genuinely moving in spots, even when you know the characters are in no real danger. Plus Amethyst killed that stupid pizza from Uncle Grandpa... it technically wasn't canon, but it sure as hell ought to be.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:39 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I'm glad we'e finally reached the point where Steven & Friends are going to openly disagree with people who have committed and are still in the process of committing Genocide.

I feel like that aspect should have come up a little more in these "Hanging out on homeworld" eps?

Like at one point pearl straight up said "YELLOW IS SO BUSY CONQUERING (READ: GENOCIDING) OTHER PLANETS SO GOOD LUCK GETTING A MEETING" and I'm like, see I feel like the constant extermination of entire races/planets should MAYBE merit a SLIGHTLY bigger reaction from our good guys.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM

See I kinda figure the vast majority aren't inhabited in the first place. That or they're going to turn around and pull some Anti-Spiral twist in the 11th hour.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

I also assume that's the case, most colonies are just inhospitable rocks, gems don't need the organic life to thrive. But I guess they don't care at all if there is organic life in a colony either.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA: Of course there may be the ethical question of whether they may be destroying potentially life-generating planets before any organic life gets to evolve on it in the first place. But so would that question apply if we ever make our own colonies in space, so.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

They committed at least one genocide, and that’s enough.

Steven tried the friendly approach because the last time someone antagonized the Diamonds a ton of Gems died. It took the entire team just to beat one Diamond. Steven can’t win in a fair fight. He might have a chance by stoking discord on Homeworld, but then the corrupted Gems are screwed.

Now that the friendly approach has failed, I’m not sure what the plan is.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:57 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
See I kinda figure the vast majority aren't inhabited in the first place. That or they're going to turn around and pull some Anti-Spiral twist in the 11th hour.
I now want this show to end with Steven & friends drilling straight through white diamond's torso While screaming things to the effect of "FUCK YOU WE'RE GONNA WIN CUZ JUST WANT IT MORE".
Old 01-16-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
I also assume that's the case, most colonies are just inhospitable rocks, gems don't need the organic life to thrive. But I guess they don't care at all if there is organic life in a colony either.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The dream from "Jungle Moon" suggests that organic life is somewhat unusual for colonizing, but decisively ignored?
Spoilers for uh... "Jungle Moon" obviously, but umm, just a metric fuckton of smaller spoilers for characters introduced in... "Alone Together", "It Could Have Been Great" and... uh... I thiiink the first time Connie's mom (I feel a little silly even tagging this as a spoiler but, I dunno, I really valued experiencing this show without spoilers) appears onscreen is "Fusion Cuisine"??
Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Is it that hard to understand going home to your space nazi family, telling them you're super gay, and ending up locked in a dungeon? I mean, we've all been there, right
Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Is it that hard to understand going home to your space nazi family, telling them you're super gay, and ending up locked in a dungeon? I mean, we've all been there, right
Oh, that's why I haven't been put off by how the CGs are handling this situation. Like everything else on this show it's a queer metaphor. Telling off your anti-queer family is super difficult and often dangerous! Especially if there are other queer family members stuck in that situation who can't get out.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Well, let's not forget, the Crystal Gems were just outright defeated by the direct intervention of the Diamonds, for the second time. The object of their revolution was always independence from the Gem empire, not its overthrow, and it's only by a twist of fate that they were able to attempt diplomacy at all, and that on the victors' terms.

The magnitude of the Diamond Authority's ongoing crimes hasn't really sunk in to Steven, who is still coming to terms with things closer to his own world. For Amethyst, Homeworld has barely even been real until very recently, and she's more interested in how it's a threat to her home than in the cosmic balance of power. Garnet and Pearl were part of the system once, and changing it is unthinkable to them; merely escaping from it was a transcendentally mind-blowing idea. Bismuth, a would-be regicide, is fiery enough to imagine regime change, but it's the oppression of gems, not the colonization of alien worlds, that radicalized her.

The only Crystal Gem to have condemned the Diamonds' despoiling of worlds is Peridot. She realized that coexistence is not only desirable but possible, but, true to form, hasn't really been capable of articulating that idea. And even for her, it's less that what they're doing is evil and more that they're stupid for not doing good instead.

We viewers recognize the colonialism inherent in the premise, but the characters aren't really positioned to deconstruct the conditions of their entire existence from top to bottom in one fell swoop, and it wouldn't be as good a show if they were.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe