The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Notices

Old 10-01-2014, 06:55 PM
RAD RAT

Default Aylor's Arts-hole

Hello everyone! I'm sorry for being away from this site for so long, as some people have kindly pointed out. My new job and other things have generally cut down on my time! However, lately I've been getting back into drawing a lot! And since some friends have encouraged me to get my stuff out there, I might as well do just that! I created this thread cause I'd rather not flood the random arting thread with talking animals as that's not everyone's cup of tea so here's this thread!

What kind of stuff do I draw? Well, there's talking animals in suits (their designs largely inspired by the amazing Demoweasel!)

But all is not spandex and not-so-super heroes! I also do a variety of other characters, and oftentimes I'll make doodles, which I try to keep as frequent as possible!

There are more but I'd rather not overload this post! If you want to see ALL my stuff, you're welcome to go to my sites!

Tumblr: http://aylorsot.tumblr.com/tagged/art
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AylorSot/media
Furaffinity: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/aylorsot/
Deviantart: http://aylorsot.deviantart.com/
Weasyl: https://www.weasyl.com/~aylor

If you're crazy and like my art enough to pay for it, I do commissions too! Here's my Guide!

I hope y'all will enjoy my stuff! Feedback is always appreciated!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing what you post here!

One thing I've been meaning to comment on, though it looks a bit better on the first image -- and this is something I still need to master as well, as I suspect I have this problem with my own current avatar --

-- with those quarter angle views, try sliding the nose a bit more from the side, and make it look more front-facing. There's a bit of an issue where it looks like the muzzles are kind-of folded over one side of the face, and I think that might help a bit.

[But now to figure out how to fix that on my own avatar, AUGH]
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM
RAD RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing what you post here!

One thing I've been meaning to comment on, though it looks a bit better on the first image -- and this is something I still need to master as well, as I suspect I have this problem with my own current avatar --

-- with those quarter angle views, try sliding the nose a bit more from the side, and make it look more front-facing. There's a bit of an issue where it looks like the muzzles are kind-of folded over one side of the face, and I think that might help a bit.

[But now to figure out how to fix that on my own avatar, AUGH]
Ah! Good eye, thanks for telling me!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:22 PM
RAD RAT

As you may have seen in last night's stream, here's what I came up with! I made two versions of it 'cause I couldn't decide which one I wanted!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 AM
certified comics master

Default Aylor's Arts-hole

It's clear you're gradually getting better and better, and it's good to experiment with color like this!

Constructive criticism: his thumb on the hand facing the viewer should be turned up, not down. At least... My thumb doesn't turn like that. Also, because his crotch is creating a tangent with the bottom of the panel it seems to be particularly emphasized.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:21 PM
RAD RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
It's clear you're gradually getting better and better, and it's good to experiment with color like this!

Constructive criticism: his thumb on the hand facing the viewer should be turned up, not down. At least... My thumb doesn't turn like that. Also, because his crotch is creating a tangent with the bottom of the panel it seems to be particularly emphasized.
Oh dear, the thumb WAS turned slightly up but I just noticed the distortion effect I applied actually changed its direction a fair bit. I have to be careful with that kind of stuff, thanks for noticing, and the tip is highly appreciated anyway, to prevent would be future mistakes at least!

As for the other thing...yeah, I think I maay have overdone it a little bit in addition to the tangent, haha.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 PM
RAD RAT

Allright folks! Thanks, whoever came to the stream tonight, and here's the result! Even though I can't afford to contribute daily to Villain Month, I wanted to at least once! So here's a Megavolt! (Darkwing Duck)

Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 AM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

How do you ink your lines? The proportions and everything are good, but there are a lot of little variances in line width that take away from the image. Have you ever tried using a vector line tool to go over your initial lines?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:17 PM
RAD RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
How do you ink your lines? The proportions and everything are good, but there are a lot of little variances in line width that take away from the image. Have you ever tried using a vector line tool to go over your initial lines?
No, but I will definitely look into it! I use the default brush tool in PS which leaves a LOT to be desired, the variances in size you see are a result of me alternating between broad strokes and more precise ones on areas that demand greater precision, especially on facial details, thankfully, Chu has pointed me to a certain brush pack that apparently will make it much cleaner and smoother to line things! Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 AM
certified comics master

And in case any of you are wondering what this magic wonder tool is, look no further! It is totally worth the $5. Both DemoWeasel and I swear by it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 PM
RAD RAT

Sketch dump time! I figure since I've been collecting my semi-daily sketches and putting them together in one collage for convenience, you guys might wanna see too from now on!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 PM
23 ski-dook

I'm glad you're dedicated to doing these every week; it looks like you have a lot of fun with them!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 PM
RAD RAT

In tonight's Halloween themed stream, I again couldn't decide which version of the picture I worked on I liked best so I once again did both! Thanks a lot for the brushes, Chu, I did manage to experiment a bit with them! I used one of the thicker ones to line this piece and used some of the softer ones for lighting and effects!

Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 PM
RAD RAT

Here's what came off streaming yesterday! I figured my cast of heroes is rather slim, with only three members, so I decided to make a fourth one, one who's actually superpowered!(But still needs a contraption to amplify said abilities) His name is Syd! Had a lot of fun doing him, I also tried my hand at a glowy ice effect, though I feel like I could've made it look more convincing, suggestions anyone?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM
certified comics master

In order to make his superpowers stand out, I highly recommend giving his ice either a colored outline (like bright blue) or no outline at all.

It's heartening to see that your art is steadily getting better! Never stop drawing, dude. I do have one more suggestion for you to work on, though: watch out for those muzzles. Right now it's looking like all of your animal people have the same kind of nose, even though the skull and muzzle shape of ermines, wolfs, bears, skunks, etc. are all wildly different!

I think taking a hard look at what the real animal your characters are based on, and trying to make them resemble that animal, will make a HUGE difference in your character design. Like, for example, that ice guy... he's an ermine, right? I'm just guessing that from the tail and from knowing the kind of characters you like. If you really wanted to make him look more like an ermine, his snout should be a lot shorter, and his ears should be short and round. Same kind goes with skunks.

It's a common issue in anthropomorphic animal art and I'm no exception, so I'm not trying to put you down or anything. There's a lot I need to work on when it comes to anatomy, animal or otherwise. Just, hey, it's another thing to keep in mind?

At least you aren't selling """lion""" fursuit heads with dog muzzles for $100+ do ho ho
Old 11-03-2014, 06:40 PM
certified comics master

P.S. The newest Blacksad book (Amarillo) messed up the muzzle of the otherwise awesome hyena character and it makes me a little sad*. It's also hella confusing because the artist is obviously a master of anatomy and has drawn hyenas correctly in prior books. It actually confused me for a bit because I briefly confused him for the German Shephard character when I flipped through the book before reading it. So... what the heck, man?

It happens to everyone! But we should all try to not let that happen.

*Maybe not as sad as the fact that all the "beautiful" female characters all have the same human face and body shape. But I digress.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM
RAD RAT

As usual thanks for the criticism and pointers! I'll really try to keep that in mind! I do try to make them resemble the animal but just find it a bit tough cause I'm trying to find my place between a cartoony stylized look and something realistic!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM
RAD RAT

So here's the two things I worked on yesterday! This one's an icon commission which also served as a way to experiment with other types of species, it was a neat little learning experience and I'm gonna be working with this same character for two full commissons soon so yep!

And here's a stylized sketch of my character Renee, again, as an exercise in drawing more female anatomy! In the end I decided not to color it and leave it grayscale to give it a more stylish rugged look!

Old 11-23-2014, 01:29 PM
RAD RAT

And here's what came off yesterday's stream! This one's also a commission for a friend of mine of the same shark character!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 PM
RAD RAT

Been a little bit of a while since I posted here, Tonight, I have for you, the second commission for my friend of her shark character, this one I took the liberty of doing a bit more complex shading, trying to ease up into the more complex stuff:

And in stark contrast, I tried going simpler, more cartoonish here and dialing back the amount of detail in this icon gift for a friend of mine! I think I made the right call, what do you folks think?

Last edited by Aylor; 12-09-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:23 PM
certified comics master

The icon looks really good! I especially like your color choices.

Your other stuff looks good too, and you keep improving. You still need to work on varying the angles of your characters' faces, though. I know I told you this already, and I know you know, but I still wanted to bring it up. For example, you drew your shark friend's head in the same position in all three pictures you did for him! It's kind of giving me the feeling that your characters' heads are all stuck at that angle.

If you need some help for ideas, simply copy another artist. Not in the sense of stealing from them, of course, but like... you know how DemoWeasel has those grids of character icons he does for people? He's really good at varying the expressions and the angles of every character's heads. Take one of those grids and copy the angles of every character's head; plug in your own character(s) if you wish. You can even try tracing them-- it's a perfectly valid way to learn how to draw something.

I wouldn't be telling you this if I thought you couldn't take it. It is just the most obvious flaw that I, personally, feel you should be taking steps to fix ASAP. Because I know you can do it if you put your mind to it and your art will improve by leaps and bounds once you destroy that bad habit. Keep experimenting!
Old 12-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Banned

I wish I were talented enough to get tips from chu!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:56 PM
RAD RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
The icon looks really good! I especially like your color choices.

Your other stuff looks good too, and you keep improving. You still need to work on varying the angles of your characters' faces, though. I know I told you this already, and I know you know, but I still wanted to bring it up. For example, you drew your shark friend's head in the same position in all three pictures you did for him! It's kind of giving me the feeling that your characters' heads are all stuck at that angle.

If you need some help for ideas, simply copy another artist. Not in the sense of stealing from them, of course, but like... you know how DemoWeasel has those grids of character icons he does for people? He's really good at varying the expressions and the angles of every character's heads. Take one of those grids and copy the angles of every character's head; plug in your own character(s) if you wish. You can even try tracing them-- it's a perfectly valid way to learn how to draw something.

I wouldn't be telling you this if I thought you couldn't take it. It is just the most obvious flaw that I, personally, feel you should be taking steps to fix ASAP. Because I know you can do it if you put your mind to it and your art will improve by leaps and bounds once you destroy that bad habit. Keep experimenting!
3/4s facing left, my one weakness. I'll keep that in mind! I am trying to get more frontal and side shots out, but you're right in the sense that it seems to still be my "default".
Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 PM
RAD RAT

Been a while since I posted anything here! Even longer since I've done a sketch dump, the oldest one here goes alll the way back to Halloween!

I guess I haven't been sketching much, or I've made my sketches into full fledged pics, couple that with being busy with a couple commissions lately, and the sketch stream slows down further, but now that my queue is free, expect more quick sketches and a return of the personal art streams!

Old 02-16-2015, 04:50 PM
RAD RAT

And here's another sketch dump! Again, most of these are from my TMI sessions!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 PM
RAD RAT

Lately I've been coming back to old sketches I really liked and making something more out of them! It's really fun, I'd recommend doing it if you folks can! Here's what I've (re)done so far!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:21 PM
RAD RAT

Here's the result of tonight's stream! I'm very happy with the lighting here, though the bed was a pain to get, and even with a ton of references I'm still somewhat ehh about it, still, overall I like how it turned out!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM
RAD RAT

As a result of today's stream I made a lil' two frame animation of Doc, experiencing severe irony (he goes by the alias "Lightning")

Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM
RAD RAT

Whoops, I completely forgot to update this with what came of last week's stream! Last Monday I gave Demoweasel's favorite character of mine, Dr. Stunkov, a bit of spotlight!

As for yesterday, I decided to give more detailed lighting and backgrounds a go and came up with this piece of an utterly defeated Isaac, overall I'm happy with it! What do y'all think?

Addendum: with this one I tried something different, I can't say I quite like how the lineart takes some life away from the picture so from now on I'm actually not doing lines, but rather, polishing the sketch, this was a test to see how well it looks, and so far I'm quite happy with the results!

Last edited by Aylor; 03-17-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
RAD RAT

Aaand here's what came of my stream tonight! Thanks to all who came! I think I am making some real progress towards making way more dynamic poses and angles!

Tags
animals , art , aylor , cartoons , furry , tyrant art thread