The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Default Finishing Time: 2013 Projects and Goals

I've started and abandoned a bunch of games in the past two years but I really want to make a new one this year. I have a handful of demo things I could go back and finish but I think I want to write a multi-platform FF: Ancient Cave kinda game. I'll try to check in weekly here for laughs.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Space dad

I actually finished a board game last year, but I've got a couple others that have been in the works for a while, and I'd like to polish off the design and prototype at least one of them. New baby means that'll be a challenge and more realistically an improbability, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Sudden chomper

My big project for 2013 is to pass my huge-ass professional exam, which is going to take up a ton of my time from now until March, when I do the written part. And then until May, for the oral exam.

But I've pretty much got to succeed here, because I've already paid $500 to take the test. That's some pretty good motivation to do well on it right there! The one good thing is that PAX East happens just after the first part of the exam, so I'm really going to feel like I deserve the break when I head down to Boston for that. Or else I'll be really depressed because I failed the test, but then I'll just drink more.

If I survive the exam, the one other project for the year would probably be to pretty up our backyard by either removing the asphalt or else covering it up with vegetation. I want my son to be able to run around out there without constantly skinning his knees!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Not a Beer

I finished a *prototype* of a board game last year, but now I need to get around to whipping up a couple more physical copies to beta test it more, and then maybe put together a nice-looking version...
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Space dad

You might check out The Game Crafter if you haven't already, Kirin.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Random guy

I still need to get back to my painting project.

The main issue is that I have no idea how to do digital painting with GIMP. I need to get on that. Yesterday.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Banned

My goal for Dec. 31, 2013 is to have my portfolio finished. It should have 100 images and be ready for reshuffling 20 or so into at least six different types of portfolios. The first will be CNC related, the second will be logo related, the third will be branding related, the fourth will have only art I've commissioned and manipulated, the fifth will be original art only and the sixth will be a greatest hits portfolio for garnering new business.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
You might check out The Game Crafter if you haven't already, Kirin.
Yeah, that came up in the thread where the game was originally being discussed, and looks promising, though I'd have to do a version where I filed off the fandom-based serial numbers a little harder, since they won't print potentially copyrighted/trademarked stuff even for personal use.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM
GASP

Before I was born, my mom made an advent calendar made out of felt. You take the ornaments out of pockets and stick them on a tree with velcro. My brother and I argued over this when it was time to move out.

So several years ago I decided to copy it. I have about ten ornaments to go, and the actual hanging part with the tree and pockets is already done.

I'm gonna finish it this year, and I'm gonna give my mom's version to my brother for my nephew at Thanksgiving.

One ornament a month. I can do this!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM
fan of wet circles

My list is miles long...mostly doll hobby stuff, like making a 1/3 scale recreation of the Satellite of Love set. I'd like to be able to make more artwork too, just to actually have something to put into a gallery show when invited. It's probably going to be another year of work 'n' babies, though.

Also, making your own board games is so, so rad. Both the technical stuff and the 'manufacturing' of the physical stuff.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Breath of Fur

1) Small run print comic of [+/-]'s backstory
2) Make a nice long one-shot to farm around to real publishers (or at least get a good start on it)
3) Overhaul my sites, finally
4) Attend an Artists' Alley again.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

I'd like to get a functioning deck of my card game done so I can test it. I have the time and everything I need to do it, I'm just lazy.

I'd also like to start getting some bit of income, no matter how small, making and selling food. This is tougher, because the Hawaii state Board of Health is kind of anal about where and how food is produced.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I'd like to get a functioning deck of my card game done so I can test it. I have the time and everything I need to do it, I'm just lazy.
Is the art all done? I'd love to do art for a card game some time.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
Is the art all done?
Not a bit. When I say "I have what I need" I mean I have a box of 500 blank face and back cards and a handful of Sharpies. I have the absolute barebones mechanically, but nothing's actually been tested. It's been on the back burner for months, but I'm starting to get the cards written out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild
I'd love to do art for a card game some time.
I'll keep that in mind.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
le petite mort

I'm aiming for three quarters of a million words published by the end of the year. A quarter of a million is the absolute bottom acceptable amount.

For me personally, I'd like to get three chapters of a starter story finished in graphic novel form. There's a larger project that means a lot to me, but I'm taking Sanderson and Rothfuss's advice and not undertaking my magnum opus as my first attempt. So, this other one first.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

From past experience, I know better than to post in this thread.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
From past experience, I know better than to post in this thread.
I should know better.

I have about a billion and one things I want to do but, as per New Year Resolution™, I'm going to focus on one or two. I've got one non-Island Officials related project that should be a finished prototype by the end of next week. I get past that hurdle then hopefully the sky's the limit from there.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
from past experience, i know better than to post in this thread.
booooooooo! Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Space Prez

Andy, we need to have a long, boring talk about your future.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Guys I'm not saying I'm going to do finish stuff (I made a baby last year!) I'm just saying that I'm not going to talk about it until I actually DO.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Not a bit. When I say "I have what I need" I mean I have a box of 500 blank face and back cards and a handful of Sharpies. I have the absolute barebones mechanically, but nothing's actually been tested. It's been on the back burner for months, but I'm starting to get the cards written out.
SHARPIE?!

I mean, I love sharpies, but come on! We gotta at least get them printed. Just one box at least. I bet we can get it done for less than $10, too.

Dimensions of the box, dimensions of the cards and the theme of the game are all I need to get started. Meet me in the Free Logos Thread when you're ready to get started.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Not a Beer

Guild, if you're still up for doing free work by the time I get to the right point, I might let you take a crack at the board, card, and token layout for the "serial numbers filed off" version of my Pro Bending tabletop game, which is gonna need a bunch of design polish. (I may also do up a "full fandom" version using actual Korra art, but that'd have to be print-at-home, since the printers won't touch all the corporate trademarks.) Not quite there yet, though.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Hullo

Get a webcomic going with "original" characters and continuity and actually commit to it, have it become hugely popular, make the merch my sole source of income, go too far and make an ill-advised heavy-melodrama storyline about an infant falling into a threshing machine or something, write an overly-long news post in a vain attempt to justify it, become an internet punching bag with 1000-page long threads about how shitty an artist and writer I am, take a new direction that nobody likes and finally reboot the comic to further derision.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Sudden chomper

I'm not going to put anything on my plate until I've managed to survive my professional exam (which will keep me very busy until May), but one thing that I'd kind of like to do this year is get back into making music. I just got some cool recording gear and a newer version of ProTools, but it's hard to find time with the whole kid/work thing. Still, I think I'd be happy to get pretty much anything down onto digital tape - it doesn't even have to be good! Just make something, remind myself that I can. The guy who runs the band that I play with has been talking about putting together another CD for a while, but it's hard to know whether that will materialize any time soon. He's arranging some new songs for a show we have in March, so that will be one step closer, at least. But I'm in no position to push things forward right now, just learning that stuff will be enough of a challenge with all the studying I need to do these days.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Guild, if you're still up for doing free work by the time I get to the right point, I might let you take a crack at the board, card, and token layout for the "serial numbers filed off" version of my Pro Bending tabletop game, which is gonna need a bunch of design polish. (I may also do up a "full fandom" version using actual Korra art, but that'd have to be print-at-home, since the printers won't touch all the corporate trademarks.) Not quite there yet, though.
Rejoinder: Maybe we can create original art to replace all the corporate trademarks with the help of an artist and then you can pay us in royalties. That way you get the free work and, if it's successful, we all make money. The replacement art could be close enough to the original that people would know what was what. I await your response.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Funko Superfan

So there's a yearly competition that's starting to gain some steam for short form gamebooks (100 references/30,000 words). I'd kinda like to enter and win.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Spin all that fleece I got back in...2011 or so. It's a great fleece, but I'm clearly not going to hand process it. Once I get it back from a proper mill I can spin it up.

Stretch goal: knit a sweater from the yarn. I like this one, so maybe I'll go for that.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Make clothes for my daughter. As she launches into the next clothing size, I'm getting frustrated by how expensive they are. I have a stockpile of fabric and the patterns I want just went on sale so I'm gonna start preparing today!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

2 months later...

Here's what I've got working so far, not much really. I'm working on all the battle stuff right now which also involves doing items and jobs and such.

I'm using Monogame so theoretically I can put this on PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, etc. when I'm done so I put a lot of work into making it work on different resolutions and stuff. I've also externalized almost every item and variable in the game so it should be pretty moddable once I put it out and everyone hates it :'(
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
fan of wet circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
Yeah, but what you've got looks great!