The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 08-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Just bear with me

Default Homemade computer peripherals

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/2016/...hings-you.html

I haven't found anyone who gave a flying fig about this recent invention of mine (snif), but I'm going to share it here just in case anyone on TT was interested. Playing ball and paddle games with a mouse frustrated the hell out of me, so I built a spinner out of various household items, including a VCR head, a plastic storage container, a computer mouse, and an Altoids tin. I took inspiration from a number of similar online projects, but gave it my own, heh, twist. It turned out surprisingly well... the dial spins freely and is extremely responsive, just as it would be in an arcade.

I'm wondering if the basic design of this spinner could be used in other peripherals. It seems like you could build your own arcade trackball by having the ball rest slightly over an upturned mouse... it would certainly be less expensive than the ones sold by mail order outlets. (Perhaps you could gut one of those Golden Tee Golf plug and plays for the necessary parts?) You could also build a spinner that fits entirely inside an Altoids tin or other palm-sized box, creating a portable device similar to the Vaus controller for the NES. I might explore the latter option... the spinner I'm using now is rather bulky and I'd rather have something about the size of a standard game controller.

Has anyone attempted making their own computer peripherals? If so, I'd like to hear about it!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Goodbye!

That's awesome! Good work.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

oh wow!
Old 08-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Just bear with me

Thanks guys, I appreciate that!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:14 PM
BAG

That's an awesome piece of work!
If you make any for consoles be sure to post them.

As for things I've made, the closest I have come is replacing the phono plug on a Guncon 2. I have always had in my head the idea of buying an airsoft machine gun, putting Wiimote parts in it, painting it white+blue and using it for all the shooters on the Wii.

Last edited by Ghost from Spelunker; 08-16-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
That's an awesome piece of work!
If you make any for consoles be sure to post them.

As for things I've made, the closest I have come is replacing the phono plug on a Guncon 2. I have always had in my head the idea of buying an airsoft machine gun, putting Wiimote parts in it, painting it white+blue and using it for all the shooters on the Wii.
Thanks! Hey, if you ever make that homemade Zapper, you'll probably want to make a wired connection to the Wiimote buttons. The light gun shells that use a mechanical connection (press the trigger and a small arm swings out to press the B button) are by and large pretty crappy.