The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Sorry, I have no tea

Batman #684
Batman Cacophony #2
Northlanders #13
Incognito #1 (Five issue miniseries from Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Check out the nine page preview here)
Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I like Starman.

This week I had:

Justice League of America #28: Pretty good.
Justice Society of America #22: Very good.
Green Lantern #36: Good.
Final Crisis: Secret Files: Good background, but not essential (though I didn't expect it to be)
Batman #684: Okay with great moments.
Superman #683: Fantastic.

Good week all in all and January is shaping up to have a number of good comics for me.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Just like Daredevil, it'd make for a better TV series than movie - Law and Order with superheroes, as it were.
I can see that too. Though I might drop the Law and Order format for slightly longer plot arcs. I maintain that Manhunter could work as a movie, though you would necessarily lose all the links between Kate Spencer and the DCU as a whole - There's simply too much plot and exposition required, especially as many of the stories deal with fairly obscure characters. Though I think you're right - it would be best as a TV show.

In other news, I ordered the fourth trade, but it has yet to arrive. I gather Batman has a cameo in this. Awesome.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Rawrther.

okay so i remember reading about a justice league comic in which someone steals the batman's notes on how to kill each justice league member, and attempts to do so; can anyone help me with the name of this, because i want this.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
okay so i remember reading about a justice league comic in which someone steals the batman's notes on how to kill each justice league member, and attempts to do so; can anyone help me with the name of this, because i want this.
JLA Tower of Babel? (Wikipedia article has spoilers)
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
JLA Tower of Babel? (Wikipedia article has spoilers)
Ah yes, that even had a link to the article I first read mentioning this.

Thanks!

Now to half.com I go...
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
It's all part of Morrison's theory that EVERYTHING that's ever happened to Batman has actually happened to him, although from the looks of things it's a lot less literal than he was implying. More like it's concievable that everything's happened.
I have at theory based on how Crisis books have a lot of bizarre reality-distortion plot devices that cause fans to have to bite the bullet and accept someone's entirely new history or understand that the past 30 years issues suddenly didn't happen, such as Superboy-Prime punching someone and changing their origin story in an instance.

My guess was that Bats was dreaming up pre-Crisis stuff as total bullshit to throw off the creature probing his brain. It's been established as fact now that Darkseid's presence is completely ruining time and space and history, so it's possible that these red herrings Bats is dreaming up are going to become Things That Actually Happened when the Crisis is over and reality returns to normal. Not necessarily that Batman actually lived through these events, but because they leaked out of his head and into the tatters of history the entire universe will accept that some of these lies have happened by the time all is done. So, he can a 35 year old guy who has been fighting crime for 60 years because of reality's goofs.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
Ah yes, that even had a link to the article I first read mentioning this.

Thanks!

Now to half.com I go...
Trivia note: they wanted to do almost that exact story in the second season of JLU, but because Ra's was embargoed by Batman Begins, it was rejected.

So there's one negative about the Nolan movies after all.

Quote:
My guess was that Bats was dreaming up pre-Crisis stuff as total bullshit to throw off the creature probing his brain. I
The thing is, there's been a lot of that stuff leaking into Batman prior to Last Rites, as well - most of the setup for RIP touched on some of the 50s whacky story stuff. A lot of that was admittedly when Bruce had been drugged, so your theory still works for the most part. It'd be neat if that had happened, but I think Morrison's going to pull something bigger out of the air for the FC conclusion.

re: Manhunter - I don't think you necessarily need to link Kate up with the rest of the DCU in order for the character to work. Just play the whole "she's a DA who takes the law into her own hands" angle out to its logical conclusion, sort of like a reverse Dexter.

Went through a lot of stuff this week for various reasons:

JSA - PRAISE JESUS THE ARC IS OVER! Ended well enough (although if all it took to kill, well, God was to behead him you get a kind of "wait, that's it?" sense), but now it's time for Black f'n Adam.

Superman - Yeah, this was *really* good. Robinson always did "epic" really well (even if Starman never went that far in that direction), and he smartly worked out a way to have the JLA / JSA (this lineup is close to the one leaked for his Justice League book) go toe-to-toe with the Kryptonians before the ending. Which was fun, because it's one of those great "oh, yeah, I should've thought of that..." plot points.

Got Teen Titans #66 for my Blue Beetle fix. I know, I know, the book's been horrible at times, but these "recruit new members" issues always work well. I like the idea of Cassie taking over as leader (McKeever probably had to do that), but given what happened in Final Crisis does it really make sense to use Calculator as the next bad guy? Anyway, McKeever's obviously just writing Jamie & Co. as Spidey & Co from his Mary Jane run, but... that works perfectly. But a really good issue overall, and Red Devil and Blue Beetle as the new version of Booster & Beetle works very well.

JLA - Well, it wasn't Benes' worst effort. But he's still about 1/10th the artist he was a couple of years ago, which is sad.

Flipped through Secret Files so I didn't need to bother buying it. About twenty pages too long on the Libra origin, but I like the idea of the new Aquaman costume. It'd be nice to actually SEE HIM, though. Morrison's set up about three or four potential characters to serve as the calvarly riding in for FC#7.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

I picked up Transformers: Spotlight Volume 3.

I have a bit of a love/hate thing with IDWs TF series. On the one hand, it's telling, arguably, the best Transformers story ever. On the other, you've got on average 3 seperate books a month that you need to be able to understand it.

Any time I even get vaguely disappointed, sudden;y "Oh, hey, the bad guy is freakin' Nova Prime!" or "Oops, the Deathbringer is here".

And I am thusly resmitten.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoPrime View Post
I picked up Transformers: Spotlight Volume 3.

I have a bit of a love/hate thing with IDWs TF series. On the one hand, it's telling, arguably, the best Transformers story ever. On the other, you've got on average 3 seperate books a month that you need to be able to understand it.

Any time I even get vaguely disappointed, sudden;y "Oh, hey, the bad guy is freakin' Nova Prime!" or "Oops, the Deathbringer is here".

And I am thusly resmitten.
What they're doing to that continuity with All Hail Megatron makes me very sad.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
What they're doing to that continuity with All Hail Megatron makes me very sad.
I haven't found Revelations or AHM, yet. What happened in it?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoPrime View Post
I haven't found Revelations or AHM, yet. What happened in it?
Revelations compresses the ending to the whole Dead Universe story into 4 issues. It's well-done, but really could have benefitted from a bit more space.

AHM picks up a year later. All the Autobots are on Cybertron, and the Decepticons start an all-out assault on Earth. I read 4 issues of it before deciding to wait for the trade, and it was basically 4 issues of Decepticons posturing and killing humans. It basically throws out all the world-building and characterization of the other IDW stuff completely. It's essentially the first volume of the Dreamwave book all over again, and I really, really can't stand it.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
Revelations compresses the ending to the whole Dead Universe story into 4 issues. It's well-done, but really could have benefitted from a bit more space.
The entire Dead Universe arc was resolved that quickly? Cripes, that was practically my favorite part of whole series! They bring back Unicron every time they need a big threat to unite the Bots and Cons, and the one time they use something different (though not wholly unique), it gets wrapped up like that?

Now I'm sad!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Oy To The World

I read through Persepolis over the past week or two. I really liked the art style and the story gave me the same kind of feeling that the first volume of Maus did. Now I really want to see the movie.

I also read Abandon the Old in Tokyo and Goodbye by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Both of the books read like James Joyce's Dubliners with an emphasis on Japan in the 1970s instead of Ireland in the early 1900s. The perverse gekiga style is prevalent in these stories, but the metaphorical messages within them still resonates. Both books were interesting, but I ultimately preferred Osamu Tezuka's Ode to Kirohito, which is also utilizes the gekiga style.

Lastly, One Piece continues to amaze and astound me with every issue.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Astro Boy Vol. 1 & 2

Battle Angel Alita Rusty Angel Vol. 1

Pinky & Stinky - I've liked everything else I've read by Kochalka so I decided to give this a whirl.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry, I have no tea

Detective Comics #852
Invincible Iron Man #9
Anna Mercury #5
Doktor Sleepless #11
No Hero #3
Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

To my great joy, I was sent a copy of Me and the Devil Blues #2.

(*Mexican hat dance*)
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Mueller-mas

I got Skip Beat 6 & 7 and will possibly be getting more later this week whenever Borders sees fit to e-mail me this week's coupons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbuu82 View Post
I also read Abandon the Old in Tokyo and Goodbye by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Both of the books read like James Joyce's Dubliners with an emphasis on Japan in the 1970s instead of Ireland in the early 1900s. The perverse gekiga style is prevalent in these stories, but the metaphorical messages within them still resonates. Both books were interesting, but I ultimately preferred Osamu Tezuka's Ode to Kirohito, which is also utilizes the gekiga style.
I got those two Yoshihiro Tatsumi books and The Push Man for Christmas. So far I've been reading The Push Man but can only digest it in little bite-sized chunks since all of the stories are so goddamn depressing. Good but depressing.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:02 PM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
I got Skip Beat 6 & 7 and will possibly be getting more later this week whenever Borders sees fit to e-mail me this week's coupons.
God, I love this series. It's nice to have a shoujo protagonist who, rather than letting everyone in the series trample all over her, calls forth fucking demons to paralyze her enemies and tells a sobbing little girl to shut the fuck up and stop trying to use tears to get sympathy. My favorite parts are when she first figures out a role, and we get treated to an entire chapter of how amazing and badass of an actress she is.

Anyone know of more shoujo manga with protagonists that are completely rad (I already ordered the latest Nana yesterday)?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Mueller-mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
God, I love this series. It's nice to have a shoujo protagonist who, rather than letting everyone in the series trample all over her, calls forth fucking demons to paralyze her enemies and tells a sobbing little girl to shut the fuck up and stop trying to use tears to get sympathy. My favorite parts are when she first figures out a role, and we get treated to an entire chapter of how amazing and badass of an actress she is.

Anyone know of more shoujo manga with protagonists that are completely rad (I already ordered the latest Nana yesterday)?
I love this series so much too. Kyoko's character really drives the series. I think she's the only female character I can think of who regularly goes off the introspective deep end and starts musing on how terrible her life is but then turns around and digs herself the fuck out of that pit without turning into an emo mess every single time.

Hmm, other strong female protagonists. I'm drawing a blank at the moment but since I can't just nip on over to my bookshelf but Basara's Sarasa (pretends to be her dead twin brother to lead her people in rebellion) channels similar qualities to Kyoko.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Inscaper

Rukia from Bleach was, then kind of a suffered a women in fridges type depowering.

She had some badass moments in the filler arc were they used this to her advantage (IE she's depowered but still able to choke an immortal vamp bitch with just a busted ass sword and her wits).

But on the main arc she just gets smacked around, even though she's back to full strength.

Last edited by Evil Dead Junkie; 01-07-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM
heh

I bought 4 weeks worth of comics today so the list is pretty ridiculous, but most notable is issue 2 of the latest Umbrella Academy arc which I am REALLY excited for.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Oy To The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Nico Robin from One Piece was, then kind of a suffered a women in fridges type depowering.
This woman was snapping necks and backs until she got captured for a whole story arc. Since then, she has really been left on the sidelines and it's a real shame.

Maybe the female protagonist from Stone Ocean?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
d.o_o.b

As fun as Nico Robin and Rukia are (although I'm more of a Tatsuki fan), I'm really looking for shoujo leads, not shonen.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

In terms of trades, this week I managed to get, among others:

Immortal Iron Fist Volume 3: Book of the Iron Fist

Queen and Country Volume 1

In terms of individual issues, I picked up Kick-Ass #5.

I have to say, so far I'm really enjoying Kick-Ass. Mark Millar may be known to overhype his work, and I know that the "realistic super-hero" motif has been done to death. However, I think Millar manages to do it extremely well. John Romita, Jr.'s artwork is amazingly well-done as well. A shame about the delays, but eh.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Oy To The World

Quote:
As fun as Nico Robin and Rukia are (although I'm more of a Tatsuki fan), I'm really looking for shoujo leads, not shonen.
Does Battle Angel Alita count? Or Ouran High School Host Club?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Space Prez

Man, I bought comics almost a month ago and I still haven't gotten to read them yet. It's depressing. I have a bookshelf dedicated solely to my comics backlog.

They had Naruto at Wal-Mart last night, so I picked up a volume. I'm not sure what I read last and I don't really care. I mostly followed the series through Shonen Jump and I missed issues all the time. It reminded me of when Mark Waid was writing The Flash, I couldn't follow every issue but when I happened to be somewhere that sold comics it was my go-to. I never felt punished because I skipped a few months. I used to be really uptight about reading manga in chronological order but I realized for longer series it's not really different from superhero books, or at least from how I buy them. If you have some familiarity with the series you can dive in anywhere.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 AM
I like Starman.

I bought:

Secret Six #5: Fantastic
Solomon Grundy #1: Meh.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Mueller-mas

Quote:
I have thought of more.

Swan - Masumi is a ballet student making her way through the competitive world of ballet

Tramps Like Us - Sumire is a journalist down on her luck who one day finds a young man sleeping in a box in front of her apartment and decides to 'adopt' him. This is josei and not shoujo.

Love*Com - Risa is the tallest girl in her class and falls in love with the shortest boy in her class and spends the entire series trying to get him to take her seriously. She ends up crying a lot but then she does get her heart broken a lot but is not easily discouraged.

Paradise Kiss - Caroline falls in with a group of bohemian fashion students. Essentially about her trying to find herself and pursue her dreams which puts her conflict with her parents' wishes. Also josei, not shoujo.

Princess Tutu - Subversive magical girl series involving ballet. The premise revolves around the power of stories and Ahiru trying to break free from the narrative conventions of the role she is cast in. The anime is much better than the manga though.

Walking Butterfly - Michiko is trying to become a runway model. Also josei, not shoujo.

W Juliet - It's about two students trying to become actors who always get cast together into roles of the opposite gender for their school plays. Ito, the girl who always ends up playing the guy parts, is very tall and a tomboy in real life.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Secret Six #5: Fantastic
Only book I bothered with, and, indeed, this was great. I nearly picked up Terror Titans for the combination of Static and the Joe Bennett art, but I figure I'll just grab it in trade.

Weirdly quiet week overall, it seemed like. Or did a new issue of Batman or Tec come out and I just missed it due to the cover gimmick throwing me off?

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day