The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 07:01 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Batman 682: I kind of already like this better then all of RIP put together. That said, just what the fuck happened to Batwoman?
Well, aside from the fact that it was all a dream sequence (this takes place while Batman's strapped in that torture chair during Final Crisis), that's the Batwoman from the early 50s (when she was added to the books to counter the post-Seduction-of-the-Innocent implication that Batman was a gay paedophile). Not the one from more recently. It's all part of Morrison's theory that EVERYTHING that's ever happened to Batman has actually happened to him, although from the looks of things it's a lot less literal than he was implying. More like it's concievable that everything's happened.

Quote:
Yeah, we definitely see eye to eye on FC. I think that this is the best Darkseid has been done since Kirby himself.
I'm still slightly more partial to the JLU version, because they got the whole "you're not worth my time, but I'm going to kill you just as a demonstration of my power" tone so perfectly with him whenever he was used.

Quote:
I'm enjoying New Krypton because, unlike others I know, I like the idea that they're showing what makes Superman great isn't his Kryptonian powers but Clark Kent and the man he is.
Hm. Good point. I'm actually a bit upset that they're not dragging this out, because Johns is throwing a LOT of stuff in there on an issue-to-issue basis (which is when he's at his best, like during his Flash run). But I'm not a big fan of the secret origin concept, because a lot of the stuff Johns is inevitably going to include (Superboy, the Legion, etc.) is stuff that I've always been perfectly happy that it was erased from history by Byrne and then Waid's versions.

Kinda weird how invisible Lois has been during all of this, though.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Well, aside from the fact that it was all a dream sequence (this takes place while Batman's strapped in that torture chair during Final Crisis), that's the Batwoman from the early 50s (when she was added to the books to counter the post-Seduction-of-the-Innocent implication that Batman was a gay paedophile). Not the one from more recently. It's all part of Morrison's theory that EVERYTHING that's ever happened to Batman has actually happened to him, although from the looks of things it's a lot less literal than he was implying. More like it's concievable that everything's happened.

Right but I'm referring more to the crazy thing that is eating her soul. Did she die in some horrible way I don't know about?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Right but I'm referring more to the crazy thing that is eating her soul. Did she die in some horrible way I don't know about?
I *think* that was Morrison's way of dramatising what happened during Crisis (the "two souls" thing referring to multiple realities), but the timeline around that doesn't match up perfectly (since Dick wasn't Robin anymore at that point).

Come to think of it, I was actually surprised that he didn't try to explain away why Jason went from a kid with an almost identical origin to Dick to a street kid stealing tires off the Batmobile.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Mueller-mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Currently reading Dramacon (borrowed from a friend). I would never have given this book a second glance if I hadn't read Svetlana Chmakova's excellent entry to the Flight anthologies ("On the Importance Of Space Travel"), and I'm very glad that I did. I may pick this up for myself.
Dramacon is really awesome. I'm proud to say I own all three original volumes and the hard cover ultimate edition. This series alone validates Tokyopop's entire existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I also picked up The War At Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks. I haven't read it yet (saving it for my flight back to Halifax next week), but it's about a couple of girls at a private boarding school. And some mythological animals. Hicks' work is generally very strong, and her greyscale artwork is amazing. Check it out!
Need to pick this one up. And glad to see a few fellow D101 fans in this thread.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Inscaper

I really disliked her first Graphic Novel Zombie's Calling.

Willing to give her another shot, just not one I have to pay for.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
I *think* that was Morrison's way of dramatising what happened during Crisis (the "two souls" thing referring to multiple realities), but the timeline around that doesn't match up perfectly (since Dick wasn't Robin anymore at that point).

Come to think of it, I was actually surprised that he didn't try to explain away why Jason went from a kid with an almost identical origin to Dick to a street kid stealing tires off the Batmobile.
Oh so that was her getting erased from continuity (We're talking about the first Crisis yeah?)...

That's actually kind of cool... Fuck I need to stop this before I accidently end up liking Morrison.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Oh so that was her getting erased from continuity (We're talking about the first Crisis yeah?)...

That's actually kind of cool... Fuck I need to stop this before I accidently end up liking Morrison.
I *think* so. But then Morrison's tossing in so much weirdly cool stuff recently that I have no idea what he's thinking.

EG: You know how people were riding motorbikes during FC#5? Well, they were motorbikes made from the Metal Men.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
EG: You know how people were riding motorbikes during FC#5? Well, they were really Jimmy Olson.
Could that be him flipping the bird to DiDio? Scuttlebutt is that he has a serious nerd-on for the Metal Men.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Sorry, I have no tea

Doktor Sleepless #10
Invincible Iron Man #8
Madman Atomic Comics #12

At least that's what I would be buying this week if my local comic shop wasn't closing down.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyven View Post
Doktor Sleepless #10
Invincible Iron Man #8
Madman Atomic Comics #12

At least that's what I would be buying this week if my local comic shop wasn't closing down.
That is the saddest thing
Old 12-17-2008, 02:36 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Quote:
Grant Morrison and Paul Dini now. Denny O'Neil and Neil Gaiman next month. You find better writers, we'll talk.
Sure, loads.
What I was getting at had little to do with who is writing the comics at any given time and everything to do with all superheroes in recent years being consistently more popular, acclaimed, and arguably just better in mediums outside of comics. I doubt that even Neil Gaiman is going to make me like Batman outside of animation and film, especially when one of the most -perhaps the most- acclaimed Batman comics out there is one of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read, comics or otherwise.
Quote:
I also picked up The War At Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks. I haven't read it yet (saving it for my flight back to Halifax next week), but it's about a couple of girls at a private boarding school. And some mythological animals. Hicks' work is generally very strong, and her greyscale artwork is amazing. Check it out!
My instructor was FEH's mentor. True story.
I asked for Zombies Calling for Christmas, since it basically looks like Shaun of the Dead if it were drawn by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I don't expect it to be great, but we'll see. I like to support semi-local talent.

Picked up Black Jack v.2 and Garfield Minus Garfield.

Battle Angel Alita is a lot better than it should be considering how painfully standard most of the plot elements are. There a lot of little quirks that just barely make it edge out into the "something to continue reading someday" pile.
Garfield Minus Garfield is short and cheap. The main reasons to buy it are for the foreword and afterword, Jim Davis' own G-G strips, and so that you don't have to wait for images to load.
Black Jack is amazing. No matter what the situation, Tezuka's stories are consistently sobering.

Last edited by teg; 12-17-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
especially when one of the most -perhaps the most- acclaimed Batman comics out there is one of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read, comics or otherwise.
I'm not fond of any of Miller's work. I've never tried TDKR in particular, but I really doubt I'll like it.

Quote:
I asked for Zombies Calling for Christmas, since it basically looks like Shaun of the Dead if it were drawn by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I don't expect it to be great, but we'll see. I like to support semi-local talent.
Zombies Calling is fun and clever. It's not particularly great story. It's an amusing tale about a bunch of kids at a college that gets attacked by zombies.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Sure, loads.
What I was getting at had little to do with who is writing the comics at any given time and everything to do with all superheroes in recent years being consistently more popular, acclaimed, and arguably just better in mediums outside of comics. I doubt that even Neil Gaiman is going to make me like Batman outside of animation and film, especially when one of the most -perhaps the most- acclaimed Batman comics out there
Paul Dini, having just finished a run on Detective Comics and the seemingly good Heart of Hush storyline, was the man responsible for several of the most memorable episodes of the animated series.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
heh

Quote:
I'm not fond of any of Miller's work. I've never tried TDKR in particular, but I really doubt I'll like it.
Of all the Frank Miller works to overlook, that is not the one.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I’m not a big fan of TDKR either, but I really enjoyed Batman: Year One. I think I can largely attribute it to the fact that it mostly stays grounded in reality and isn’t drawn by Miller. Plus, it's just as much about Gordon as it is Batman.

You know, thinking about it, those are the only two Batman trades I own. I’ll have to change that at some point in the future.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Conquers the World

There are two Miller Batmans: Year One's cool, collected novice Batman and TDKR's cold bastard Batman. As far as I know, Year One is the only time you ever see cool, collected novice Batman. I like this Batman! And I like Year One. Cold bastard Batman eventually evolved into brutal fucking tyrant Batman in whatever Miller has written since the Dark Knight Strikes Again. So I like The Dark Knight Returns okay, I just have a hard time appreciating Batman's Dirty Harry Callahan shit anymore.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Ex Machina issue 40 was a pure hillarity. I saw the cover on the stands and was like "what is bkv doing on the cover of his own comic?" and found a hilarious story about bkv and tony harris being audtioned to draw hundred's memoir. The ending bit with Ennis and Jim lee ending up being the ones chosen to do the memoir is great.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

I have yet to see Frank Miller do anything interesting, myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
Paul Dini, having just finished a run on Detective Comics and the seemingly good Heart of Hush storyline, was the man responsible for several of the most memorable episodes of the animated series.
Neato. I may or may not look into this eventually, but most likely not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen
Zombies Calling is fun and clever. It's not particularly great story. It's an amusing tale about a bunch of kids at a college that gets attacked by zombies.
I hear her new book is an improvement and that the big draw of Zombies Calling is that her capacity to improve is pretty readily apparent.

So anyway, pre-orders:
-I am trying to get Viz's run of Phoenix. Why is it so expensive?
-Bryan Lee O'Malley is pencilling the last chapoter of Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe as we speak (type). ARE YOU EXCITED I AM EXCITED
-Dark Horse's Astro Boy run is deceptively hard to come by. I am really disappointed that I only got three of them while I was in Maine (They had most of the series, but not number four and I'm a total nerd for keeping things in order. I really need to hurry up and get Fullmetal Alchemist volumes 8-13 so that I can get rid of the only hole on my shelf).
Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM
I like Starman.

This week I bought:

Supergirl: Good stuff and continuation of New Krypton.
Manhunter: Meh.
Thor: God-sized Special: Okay.

Not the best of weeks.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Manhunter was reasonably good, but not what it could've been.

Fables, however, was awesome in terms of pure shock value, even if the main story was truncated. But talk about your shake-ups to a well-established status quo (as well as a nice explanation of exactly how everything worked... seconds before it all came crashing down.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Manhunter was reasonably good, but not what it could've been.

Fables, however, was awesome in terms of pure shock value, even if the main story was truncated. But talk about your shake-ups to a well-established status quo (as well as a nice explanation of exactly how everything worked... seconds before it all came crashing down.
I guess I didn't like the future aspect of it though I can see how he'd want to end the series like this.

I agree with your earlier point that I actually think with all they are taking on New Krypton could probably stand to be a few issues longer. I like it when it is emphasized both that Superman is great because of Clark Kent and his upbringing and also how he inspires others (ie. the new Superwoman).

I sort of agree with the new Superman Secret Origin though while I can do without Superboy (or at least Clark being Superboy - I have no problem with Conner) I do like the refitting of his time with the Legion. I just would rather he had spent time with them early on in his career as Superman than when he was Superboy. I just think the Legion is a lot weaker without having him in their continuity. He (in boy or man form) doesn't necessarily need to be there, but so much was ruined when he was ripped from their continuity following CoIE.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 AM

So I'm reading Morrison's run of Doom Patrol; I'm about fifteen issues in and... I guess I'm running out of patience. I feel like every issue is 80 % exposition of plot points out of nowhere. I guess if I were being charitable I would call it very inventive, because every issue five hundred things happen and twelve hundred different looking bad guys emerge, but I feel like it is just flailing all the time. I want to shake this comic and say "Settle down!" It's very attractively drawn though, and I did like the painting that ate Paris storyline because I felt like the conclusion followed at least somewhat logically from the premise. I thought maybe he just needed to do more multi-issue stories, but then the De-Creator had all the problems of the shorter pieces. Does it ever settle down? I like the drawings, it's a neat premise, and I like some of Morrison's goofy stuff like Doom Force.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Adorable, but not cute

So I finally went and bought Vol 2 of Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha" (I already read the first one while waiting at a B&N). I always liked Tezuka's work but never went out and bought any of his books, except now, and I have to say I'm not disappointed. I wish there was a way to get all of the "Buddha" volumes into one edition because I already want to buy the rest. =/
Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Evocative

I bought the third volume of Manhunter and Batman 683.

Batman was good, though I wish Morrison didn't end it with "find out what happens in Final Crisis!" Good fun though; I really liked Morrison's Batman run, and am looking forward to the day it's all out in paperback.

Manhunter: Origins was fantastic - It makes me very sad there are only two trades left (and one isn't even published yet). I sometimes think Manhunter could make a really good movie with a few tweaks. Heck, it's even set in L.A.!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Due to Christmas, I obtained volume two of The Immortal Iron Fist. I have to say, Fraction and Brubaker have done amazing job, just as with the book's first story. A mystical martial arts tournament, an action, hard-boiled crime film and straight up adventured combined seamlessly? They have my respect.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggumbeard View Post
Due to Christmas, I obtained volume two of The Immortal Iron Fist. I have to say, Fraction and Brubaker have done amazing job, just as with the book's first story. A mystical martial arts tournament, an action, hard-boiled crime film and straight up adventured combined seamlessly? They have my respect.
Damn, now I'm going to have to check this out.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I bought the Daredevil vol 3 hardcover using Christmas money. I can see myself grabbing every hardcover over the next couple of months. It's just that good.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:03 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Quote:
Damn, now I'm going to have to check this out.
Be sure to pick up volume one too. If you haven't.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggumbeard View Post
Be sure to pick up volume one too. If you haven't.
I haven't, but now I must. Because it sounds vaguely like a modern comic book version of the Master Li Kao and Number Ten Ox stories, and those were so very, very good.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Manhunter: Origins was fantastic - It makes me very sad there are only two trades left (and one isn't even published yet). I sometimes think Manhunter could make a really good movie with a few tweaks. Heck, it's even set in L.A.!
Just like Daredevil, it'd make for a better TV series than movie - Law and Order with superheroes, as it were.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day