The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I've read some parts of it, but Warren's art lost its appeal for me over the years (EG, now that I'm no longer 15); just too much linework, too much detail, and too much magna homage. The book also feels pretty stagnant, and it's not all that funny. It's a bad book overall, although I guess that it's somewhat transcended its origins as Warren doing fetish drawings to make a buck, so bully for that.

If you want a better Warren pseudo-magna experience, track down his Gen13 stuff, which at least had the merits of being funny (and his art works much better when coloured, since it doesn't look as cluttered).
Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
I like Starman.

This week:

R.E.B.E.L.S #10: Fantastic Blackest Night tie-in which really works well with the title. The reveal of Harbinger and then having Vril Dox join the Sinestro Corps was awesome.
Green Lantern Corps #42: The ending is sure to make a lot of people angry. Good issue though.
Batman and Robin #6: Good story, but the art by Philip Tan wasn't so hot. I thought he did pretty decent work in the first two issues, but this one didn't work for me as well.
Locke and Key: Crown of Shadows #1: Good though I keep kicking myself as I should have just bought this series as trades instead of as singles.
Action Comics #883: Good. Liked how they tied in the Captain Atom stuff at the end.
Batman/Doc Savage Special: Great introduction to a new world. I like the characterization of Doc Savage and I really hope that this new pulpy world works for DC next year. I'm a big fan of pulpy, art deco worlds so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The ending is sure to make a lot of people angry.
Yeah, I've heard. It's been inevitable ever since they brought Hal back to bore everyone to death, but that had better be one of the deaths that gets reversed. It's just annoying that silver age nostalgia is driving so many of the characters that got me really interested in DC off-stage. I'd be fine if they were replacing Kyle and Wally with new characters, but replacing them with played-out nostalgia characters makes no sense at all. The continued success of GL is just baffling, although admittedly that's because I've read Johns when he was actually writing good stuff.

Between the apparent change to Firestorm and now this, Blackest Night is shaping up to be my least favourite crossover in years. I guess this is how JLI fans felt about Identity Crisis.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Yeah, I've heard. It's been inevitable ever since they brought Hal back to bore everyone to death, but that had better be one of the deaths that gets reversed. It's just annoying that silver age nostalgia is driving so many of the characters that got me really interested in DC off-stage. I'd be fine if they were replacing people with new characters, but replacing them with played-out nostalgia characters makes no sense at all. The continued success of GL is just baffling, although admittedly that's because I've read Johns when he was actually writing good stuff.

Between the apparent change to Firestorm and now this, Blackest Night is shaping up to be my least favourite crossover in years. I guess this is how JLI fans felt about Identity Crisis.
I'm not willing to lay anything bad at the feet of Blackest Night yet until I see how it is going to be resolved. I can see your point of view but I've enjoyed Hal and the current volume of Green Lantern quite a bit. The Flash I'm not willing to really decide on until his own series starts up next year, which Wally will be the back-up in. The difference between us is that I don't have much invested in the same characters that you do as the only real interaction I had with DC until I started reading again six or seven years ago was Super Friends, the DCAU, the movies, Lois and Clark tv show, and a few scattered comic storylines in the early 90s (mainly Death of Superman/Funeral for a Friend/Reign of the Supermen/Knightfall). My comic book collecting habits as a kid were almost exclusively Marvel, and even then mainly X-Men with a touch of Thor.

Blackest Night has so far been my favorite crossover since I started reading comics again. Truth be told though I haven't particularly enjoyed any line-wide crossover by either company since I started reading comics again. Final Crisis was a good read by itself, but not a very good "event" in the greater sense of things. Several of the other events had a few good hooks and moments, but were not all that great as a whole and I hated House of M and Civil War. That's not to say Blackest Night couldn't fall apart in the end as Infinite Crisis did, which I think started off quite well, but I'll have to see how that goes.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
The difference between us is that I don't have much invested in the same characters that you do as the only real interaction I had with DC until I started reading again six or seven years ago was Super Friends, the DCAU, the movies, Lois and Clark tv show, and a few scattered comic storylines in the early 90s (mainly Death of Superman/Funeral for a Friend/Reign of the Supermen/Knightfall).
I am the exact same way, and I think my enjoyment of comics benefits from it. I often read DC or Marvel fans complaining about things that I either have no understanding of, or no way to relate to. To me, most of these characters may have well have not existed 5 years ago.

That said, I'm loving Blackest Night, and I've loved all of the current runs of GL and GLC. They're probably my favorite superhero books right now, and aside from Batman & Robin, are the only DC books I read with any regularity.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

The problem with Blackest Night right now is that it's all sound and fury with nothing of substance behind it - it feels like a summer blockbuster in all the worst ways. It's bad enough that Johns badly fumbled the idea of the multiple corps (half of them have barely any characterisation attached to them), but the main miniseries has been more about providing a high gore content than actually having a lot of plot or character development. I mean, I expect the present version of Johns to not have a clue about characterisation, but at least most of the time his plots actually consist of more than a percentage conter building up to 100% and the revelation of a bad guy no one's heard of before.

My other problem is that DC seems to forget that 1995-2005 was their undisputed creative peak, and they've chased away just about every writer (David, Dixon, Waid, Marz) that contributed to that success and failed to replace them with any new talent other than Johns (Robinson was de facto chased away, since he's come back stripped of his talent). They're reaping short-term benefits by playing to the inexplicable zombie / gore fandom out there, but once this storyline runs its course, it's not going to leave things in a better place than where they started, and it'll be back to having their ass kicked by Marvel.

Which, as someone who grew up reading comics where DC literally had 9 of the 10 best superhero books on the stands in any given month, is depressing.

As I said last month, it's downright depressing that Tony Daniel is the guy scripting a book that most closely resembles DC's glory period.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 PM
heh

Quote:
more than a percentage conter building up to 100% and the revelation of a bad guy no one's heard of before.
If the percentage counter hit 100% and we got a bad guy that we were already well familiar with, I would have been incredibly disappointed. At least now we can look forward to an examination of exactly who this adversary is, and how he fits into the rest of the Universe.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 AM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Is Empowered actually good? I see it mentioned from time to time, but all I know of it is that;

1. It is generally very light and silly in tone.
2. It is also quite heavy in fanservice.

And on a largely related note, I picked up the issue of Gold Digger on FCBD this year, and it also seemed to hit those same points, and was pretty enjoyable. Would that be anything I should look into next time I go a comic buyin'?
I like Empowered quite a bit, although there are probably better places to start with Adam Warren (Dirty Pair: A Plague of Angels is pretty damn funny). The first couple of volumes are (usually amusing) T&A joke with some surprisingly good characterization and plotting thrown in, and by volume three it starts shifting to good plots with T&A jokes tossed in. The series isn't something that's going to set the world on fire, but it's a lot of fun.

It also has a superhero called Maidman, so that's awesome.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
If the percentage counter hit 100% and we got a bad guy that we were already well familiar with, I would have been incredibly disappointed. At least now we can look forward to an examination of exactly who this adversary is, and how he fits into the rest of the Universe.
Let me save you the trouble: he'll be a character obsessed with either death or why people die, has parental issues of some sort, and will kill someone right away to establish his badassness.

This stuff was great when Johns was doing it seven years ago with the Flash Rogues Profiles, but he doesn't have many tricks.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I like Starman.

I'm enjoying DC now. I didn't read any DC really until 2002-ish when I started reading again and even then it was only a couple titles as I tried and failed to get back into Marvel. I'm enjoying the titles I'm buying and unlike the last couple DC events I am actually enjoying Blackest Night. The only thing Marvel has going that I like is Agents of Agents which has been relegated to a back-up and a few minis because of poor sales. While I've definitely become mainly a DC fan in the last few years, my problem with Marvel is basically I dislike Bendis (so the Avengers are a lost cause), hate the post House of M X-Men, have no interest in the new unmarried Spider-Man, and have never been a fan of "cosmic" Marvel.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Dragon Puncher

The only DC I grab are Morrison's stuff. (Not gonna mention that I picked up the HC for All-star Batman and Robin, mainly because I completely loved it.)

I only follow writers I like. And 90% of the time, all the writers I like get artists I like. (Morrison's disputing that with the likes of Tony Daniels and Phil Tan, though...)

Anyway, the idea of a Modern Warfare 2 comic sounded pretty absurd to me but...it's written by David Lapham??? I am completely intrigued!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'm starting to be convinced that Daniel's a much better writer than he is an artist, since in the six (?) Batman issues he's written, he's improved faster than any writer I can remember.

Plus, I think he was a reader back in the Dixon era, as his pacing is almost identical to the Dixon Layout (opening action scene, two-three character scenes, another action scene, climax) that every Batman book used in the 90s.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoninja View Post
I only follow writers I like. And 90% of the time, all the writers I like get artists I like. (Morrison's disputing that with the likes of Tony Daniels and Phil Tan, though...)
I am so glad Tan is done with Batman & Robin now.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Who’s on next?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry, I have no tea

Cameron Stewart then Frank Quitely again followed by I Don't Know.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Inscaper

I picked up a shitload of stuff this week.

Most importantly the new Locke And Key which I have a Lost level of obsession over.

Also

Ultimate Spidey #4
The Marvelous Land Of Oz #1
Batman Widening Gyre (Not Terrible!)
Walking Dead #67
Buffy #30
Batman And Robin #6

That sound of sickening contentment you hear is coming from my place.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 PM
heh

I really considered Marvelous Land of Oz, because I enjoyed Wizard so much, but I think I'm going to wait for the collection again. I love the idea of having a full set of hardcover Oz graphic novels, all drawn by Skottie Young.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Inscaper

His art really is eye meltingly beautiful.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

I really do want to read Wonderful Wizard, but I'm waiting for it to be in paperback. Shame.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Inscaper

Quote:

And the freaking Shroud next issue? Why the hell does Bendis have such a hard-on for that character?
Because apparently he's fucking awesome.

I've never encountered him before but he definitely made one hell of an impression with his entrance.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Inscaper

Sven would care to give a little summary of what's going on in the larger universe of the Bat Books?

This was the first time I felt like I was missing something by not reading them, what with Jason screaming about how they "Found the body!" and what not? Is Bruce not in Caveman times anymore?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Sven would care to give a little summary of what's going on in the larger universe of the Bat Books?

This was the first time I felt like I was missing something by not reading them, what with Jason screaming about how they "Found the body!" and what not? Is Bruce not in Caveman times anymore?
Bruce is in Caveman times, but he still left a body behind. The newest B&R also suggests that the body we've thought to be Bruce, isn't actually his, and his real body has been stored away behind lock and key for safe-keeping
Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Morrison may be tying this into an arc Tomasi did on Nightwing, where Talia was looting the graves of superheros for genetic fodder for experiments. That's why all the stuff revolving around JLA HQ happened in Blackest Night, and my guess is that Morrison is thinking Dick would've done something similar, only more secure, with what he thought was Bruce's remains.

There's rumours floating around that Jim Lee is working on something Batman-related, which could potentially be a BnR arc, but I doubt DC would risk taking their best-selling regular book into delays. Really, they should just let Stewart be permanent, since I don't think he ever missed a deadline on Catwoman and he'd be a nice contrast to Morrison.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
heh

If Jim Lee was working on something Batman-related wouldn't it just be more issues of Allstar?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
If Jim Lee was working on something Batman-related wouldn't it just be more issues of Allstar?
I think they've just given up all hope on that one. I was told it's specifically not All Star.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 PM
d.o_o.b

Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan have gotten together for a second DEMO series.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
I think they've just given up all hope on that one. I was told it's specifically not All Star.
: (
Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
This is what I have been thinking for so long.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
heh

True Stories of the Core Marvel Universe!!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Follow the fuck-man

I finally picked up the newest issue of batman and robin. Thank god that arc is over, that was one of the worst things Morrison has ever wrote. I kept reading it thinking "its morrison ,its good. I gotta keep thinking its good" but after a second read of arc, I admit it was bad and Tan's art not keeping the look of the Flamingo guy consistant in the final issue of it didnt help at all. He goes from super skinny guy to super buff guy to super skinny effeminate looking guy wtf.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day