The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-28-2017, 07:00 AM
hourglass figure

Default Forgive me for this webcomic I'm about to inflict: Kill Six Billion Demons thread

This has been mentioned a few times in the webcomic thread, but I think it's about time it gets its own (gasp!) thread.

Kill Six Billion Demons, by Abbadon (this links to the first page to avoid possible spoilers) follows the adventures of regular coffee shop employee Allison Wanda Ruth, who finds herself transported to Throne, the red city at the center of all universes, after having an artifact of immense power embedded into her skull by some asshole. Throne, once home to the Gods themselves, is now a den of corruption built over their decaying corpses (or as Allison puts it "God is dead and heaven is run by the super mafia"). It is populated by devils, angels, and all sort of bizarre creatures, all of them extremely prone to violence and very interested in the thingamagig in Allison's forehead, which could spark universal war if it fell on the wrong hands (i.e, pretty much anyone's hands).

The comic is beautifully drawn and written and...

...You know what? I suck at explaining why I like the things I like, so instead I'll just let this picture speak for itself:

That's right, there's a character that is a burning skeleton riding a bike made of other skeletons. If you don't want to check out the comic yet, I'm not sure there's anything else I could possibly say to convince you.

Last edited by Erilex; 01-28-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

SKELETONS YOU SAY?!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Thank you for making this and reminding me that I haven't caught up on the comic for several months now. It's fucking amazing.

It does sometimes seem like the kind of thing where it's easier to keep track of what's going on if you consume it in batches. But on the other side of the coin, every page is gorgeous and deserves to be lingered over.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:07 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

I sometimes have a hard time following some of the pages (especially when the larger ones are shrunk to the point where the text is kinda hard to read) but goddamn this comic looks badass as heck. I'm digging it.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

For the big ones, you can right-click and hit open link in new tab on the comic image.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:59 AM
hourglass figure

Yearly reminder that this comic deserves its own thread and that if you aren't reading it yet you... ...should click here to start reading from the beginning unless you are either immune to spoilers or have really bad short-term memory, because THINGS happen in the most recent page, which is the first thing displayed when the website loads.

What do you mean "Don't hold your breath", alt text? DON'T HOLD MY BREATH FOR WHAT?

EDIT: Seriously, it's bugging me. Is this a "Don't get your hopes up" Don't hold your breath? Is it a "Don't stop breathing or you'll suffocate" Don't hold your breath? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME, TINY HOVERING TEXT BOX?

Last edited by Erilex; 02-24-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:21 PM
Starts with your heart

K6BD is the reigning champion of comics I should love that bounce off of me when I try to read them. Same as that bunny quest comic. The component parts are impressive as hell tho
Old 03-03-2018, 04:55 AM
till the sheriff stops by

I read the first trade and liked a lot about it, but interestingly it didn't click for me until the end.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:22 AM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

I made a couple attempts to get into it from the beginning and couldn't, but I met the artist at a con this weekend where the only thing he had was vol. 2, and vol. 1 was sold out. So I picked it up and started from there, and weirdly enough had no problems getting into it. I think a lot of the explicatory worldbuildy stuff at the beginning is, if not exactly irrelevant to the plot, unnecessary to one's enjoyment of the comic.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:52 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Kill Six Billion Demons is one of the best webcomics currently going. I don't know if it's capable of dethroning Gunnerkrigg Court.

The supplementary lore material is copious and I love it, but the comic is written in such a way that drawn material never depends on it (and in fact is much conceptually simpler). It's more to support the flavor of the setting.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:21 PM
post-mystic lich princess

Pronouns: she

some thoughts on this I just wrote up elsewhere

Quote:
the angels and demons in particular are somewhat fascinating for their accidentaly (?) textual reflection on a common thorny discoursive threshold, of Gender Being Fake, Actually yet also still needed for many vulnerable selves.

both types are brilliant darkness and immortal flame bound within metal flesh, cycling through personalities to survive through eternity. the angels scramble to salvage multiple kinds of shattered cosmic order, asserting their righteous position above gender and life despite a clearly masculine-coded brotherhood- every angel the work provides any insight into has seen enough of humanity to either suppress or embrace burgeoning femininity. the devils are pieces of genderless chaos given individuality and power by manipulative deals with humanity, picking up names and faces and identities in the process, and to ascend or to weigh out the need to feed on others they adapt to new names and new genders to maintain their continued presence.
I love how such notions of flux define side-characters (e.g. 6 Juggernaut Star's nihilism reads substantially more interesting as resentment, Princess's shift is completely uncommented upon) and how its absence makes the demiurge god-kings all tragically stagnant (Mottom's victim-of-circumstances compulsion then blown up, Mammon's misery invoking protective pity from those that could slay him). Royalty is a continuous cutting motion, after all.

I also kinda like how the Gay that just popped up should make for a long work dealing with a couple of broken assholes that have unavoidable flaws still tangled up in each other. they'll support one another even after seeing the worst of one another, and that it was with action sequences helps make it much better than most soap opera romance melodrama.

in a half decade of updates I really do hope miss "flaming self-impaling skeleton biker angel" up there makes some progress on her self while still remaining as hilariously awesome

Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 03-03-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 AM
oh my car

One thing I like about it is how basically every minor background character who exists entirely to get dunked on is singlehandedly cooler than the entire cast of an average fantasy story.

The cosmology is a big part of the appeal to me. The demiurges are power-hungry mortals who've lost their humanity (or equivalent) in their attempt to mimic divinity - pitiable figures despite ruling whole universes, a combination of egregious misrule (let's not kid ourselves - although Mammon is senile, genial, and beloved, he's still a banker) and surprising situations promises to set up all sorts of wonderful conflict. I can't wait to learn what Solomon David's deal is. Similarly provocative is their predecessor Zoss, who wished only to meet God, and upon discovering that all the gods including apparently the main one were dead (suicide), he decided to seize the position for himself, fulfilling one of the comic's catchphrases, "Reach Heaven through violence."
Old 06-02-2018, 11:26 AM
hourglass figure

DRAW SIX BILLION DUDES

(There might be slightly less than six billion dudes in that page. I didn't count them)
Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Not a Beer

Daaaaaamn.

(I still really need to find time to catch up on this comic...)
Old 10-06-2018, 05:58 PM
oh my car

Do Six Billion Squats
Old 10-06-2018, 10:46 PM
EARTH FOREVER

She's a jock now
Old 10-08-2018, 08:42 AM
oh my car

Doing sidequests is part of her training regimen (makes sense because she's a hero). Of course White Chain would give her something like "fight crime, 10 reps"
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Woops read all of this in a single day. The art is gorgeous, I like the jumbled yet comprehensive metaphysics, and the order that begins to emerge from the initial chaos and dazzling diversity.

But what really hooked me was the growing realization that hey all the crew were femmes and this was probably going to get gay pretty soon. And then it did!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
K6BD is the reigning champion of comics I should love that bounce off of me when I try to read them.
Every time I try to read it I just sorta peter out.

No idea why.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:24 PM
oh my car

The author is on record saying that he made all the main protagonists women so that he could not accidentally make all the interesting characters men without also failing to make a good comic.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I dont like buff Allison.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 PM
hourglass figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I, on the other hand, cannot wait to see how her new muscles enhance her terrible decisions.

Edit: The author drew this and posted it on his blog a few days ago

It's Solomon Davidette
Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
The author is on record saying that he made all the main protagonists women so that he could not accidentally make all the interesting characters men without also failing to make a good comic.
Well that's one way to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I do, she looks way happier and more confident at least. Not a huge fan of the jedi costume though. Shouldn't too long 'til a new look though so whatever!
Old 10-13-2018, 05:53 AM

I finished volume 2 of the tpb and I was able to get into it a bit more this time, but I feel like it is a beautiful, clever, intelligent, inventive comic with jaw dropping art that I still feel like I'm being kept at arms length from. I don't know, maybe it's the fact that the book is not easy to decode for me that makes it a bit harder to get into. Nonetheless, I look forward to reading the next trades when they come out.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Not a Beer

Oh heck, trades actually started coming out huh? I should buy those some time.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:37 AM

Unfortunately Volumes One and Two were differently sized, the first one being kind of small and the second one making the smarter choice of being larger.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Not a Beer

Huh, that's a shame, but I just impulse-ordered both of them off Amazon a couple days ago so I'll just have to live with it.

Update: they just arrived and they’re the same size! I guess they reissued vol1 in the larger format, hooray. Also I think these two books get pretty close to where I left off reading the web version, so they’ll make a nice refresher before I dive back in eventually.

Last edited by Kirin; 10-15-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I assumed that when the new volume 2 came out they re-issued volume 1 in a more appropriate size. But sucks for those of us who didn't buy it like that.

Tags
a bone to pick , gay demons , lgbtq angels , sanctioned action: cut