The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Dominion's art has improved since the early sets in much the same way as Magic: The Gathering. The early sets in both games had wildly uneven art.

I haven't kept up with the game, though, so if you tell me Shanty Town is from the most recent expansion, then I retract everything.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Bob

Shanty Town is Intrigue, iirc. So just the second set to come out.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:27 PM
forbidden noise

shanty town is kind of charming in its ugliness, and i say this as someone without a particular fondness for the art either (it's appropriate, but not very memorable, for the most part). it's hard not to disagree about the placeholder images on isotropic, but there are obviously reasons that stuff couldn't stay in the game
Old 05-23-2017, 03:26 AM
TARANTUL

To be fair I just looked up the 2nd ed and now I want all tbose VP cards and treasures.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#10 - Trivial Pursuit
"I'm sorry; the card says 'Moops'"

# of players: 2 - 8

This one is a genuine surprise! For whatever reason, Trivial Pursuit wasn't on my personal radar, so I was surprised to see it on the list at all, let alone in the top 10. I've never really played it! (I own Star Wars Trivial Pursuit from years ago, but it's only hit the table once.) There's no question that it's a classic, though! Created by a couple of Canadian Journalists in the late 70s one evening when they couldn't find all of the pieces of their Scrabble game, Trivial Pursuit is a simple trivia game for 2 to 8 people or teams where players roll dice and move around a board, answering trivia questions in order to collect pie pieces, with the ultimate goal of completing their pie and moving into the centre. Really, the point is the trivia; everything else is just window dressing.

The origin of the game might not be as simple as I just stated, though! I mean, that's if you believe a ~local crackpot(?), but I wouldn't advise it. There's a fellow from Nova Scotia who's been telling the story loudly to anyone who will listen for decades now about how he and his friend were hitchhiking one day and described their idea for a trivia game in detail to the folks who gave them a lift and had it stolen wholesale. He finally definitively lost in court about a decade ago after fighting that fight since the early 90s, but you still see him pop up on a slow news day once in a while, insisting that he's been robbed of his rightful fortune!

My only childhood exposure to Trivial Pursuit doesn't even involve me playing the game. I was at my grandmother's house being babysat while my aunts and uncles were down the road having a raucous drunken game of it with my parents, and my father was angry and embarrassed about something the next morning. To this day, the rest of my mother's family tells the story about how he didn't know how many teats are on a cow, loudly and repeatedly insisting that "I grew up on a farm, and I'm tellin' you that our cows all had six!" They're never going to let the poor man live it down.

So are there any other fun Trivial Pursuit stories out there? Trivia's not really my bag in any form, but I understand that it's still a space that sees some activity, so I'd also love to hear about everyone's favourite trivia games!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Safe Space

I still have Trivial Pursuit from the 1980s on my shelf (the "Master Edition II", I think). Someday I'd like to get an updated version so I can dominate my friends again.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah that's one that didn't occur to me either. I've played the original version a few times, but it's been quite a while. Meanwhile some local friends have this version and break it out a lot:

Old 05-23-2017, 09:50 AM
It's all good, man

This sounds obvious, but Trivial Pursuit only works with a group of people who are all interested in remembering obscure information, so its appeal is limited.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Meanwhile some local friends have this version and break it out a lot
I couldn't find room for it in the blurb post, but I found Warcraft Trivial Pursuit while I was pulling up images, and it comes with a murloc die and tiny adorable murloc tokens:
Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I couldn't find room for it in the blurb post, but I found Warcraft Trivial Pursuit while I was pulling up images, and it comes with a murloc die and tiny adorable murloc tokens:
Also if you don't like your opponents answer being right it'll change tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Also if you don't like your opponents answer being right it'll change tomorrow.
My favorite category of question is purple because it's "Is X a hunter weapon?" and the answer is always yes.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 AM
forbidden noise

trivial pursuit was one of the last cuts on my list. it's an real staple of my family's gatherings when people are in from out of town, which to me makes up for it not really being A Game. but i still couldn't bring myself to vote for it
Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
is Earnest

My friends have the 1980's version, so you sometimes get questions about the Soviet Union, etc. Great game, and well deserving of a place in the top 10.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 AM
if-then-eels

I'm not sure I understand the 'moops' joke
Old 05-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I'm not sure I understand the 'moops' joke
Be educated!

Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
The origin of the game might not be as simple as I just stated, though! I mean, that's if you believe a ~local crackpot(?), but I wouldn't advise it. There's a fellow from Nova Scotia who's been telling the story loudly to anyone who will listen for decades now about how he and his friend were hitchhiking one day and described their idea for a trivia game in detail to the folks who gave them a lift and had it stolen wholesale. He finally definitively lost in court about a decade ago after fighting that fight since the early 90s, but you still see him pop up on a slow news day once in a while, insisting that he's been robbed of his rightful fortune!
As someone who designs the occasional board game for fun, this story is really hard to believe. On a regular basis, a person new to the game design hobby will say something like "I have a great rough draft for a game, but I'm worried that people will steal my idea so I don't want to share it without them signing a contract."

The adage in game design is: "Ideas are easy, Games are hard." Watch: I want to do a "prepare for war" worker-placement game where the placement of the worker determines the access you'll have to cards that you use to build decks for a head-to-head combat round. Sounds interesting, right? I had the idea, it's mine!

Except I didn't spend countless hours writing the rules, laying out my board, determining the abilities and mechanics of the cards, the battle system, balancing the various aspects of the game, and testing, testing, testing. Let's not get into making the art, kickstarting/pitching to a publisher, and bringing the game to fruition. It's notable that once you do that, there's a real good chance you won't make any money. Except for a few standouts, board games are not known for their fiscal success.

Even if what crackpot above is saying is true, he did not look up all the trivia, make and test the game and actually get his game to a publisher. I'm all for intellectual property rights, but this guy fails to understand that his original idea (if he truly had it) has been wildly transformed beyond his hitchhiking conversation, and someone else did all the dirty work. If he wants to claim a game, he should at least have done some of the design.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I LOVE trivia. I haven't played Trivial Pursuit in a long time (maybe I need to buy a new edition), but it is totally my bag. I don't know a lot of useful information but I have a ton of random things floating in my brain, so it is totally my bag.

I also used to run a pub trivia when I was living in Ulsan, South Korea. I wasn't the host every week, but I was essentially the guy who got things ready and gave advice (for example: generally have at least some questions that even if the team can't know the answer, at least they can make an educated guess at).

Also, my team... I wouldn't say usually won, but at least won 40% of the games, particularly in the last half of the year I was there. I've been meaning to do some of the bar trivia in my home town but 1) its hard to make the time and 2) its hard to find someone else to make the time to go with me.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

I love Trivial Pursuit in theory, but it's really, really difficult to find a version that's at all current.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I love Trivial Pursuit in theory, but it's really, really difficult to find a version that's at all current.
I remember (this was a long time ago) getting a current one and finding too many of the trivia questions, especially the pop culture questions, TOO current. Like you could tell what movies and TV shows had come out that year. Ugh. A good trivia game needs to be a well balanced collection of all kinds of topics from all kinds of eras.

I suppose that's part of the reason I'm not interested in the themed trivial pursuits. I mean, I'd kill in Simpsons or Marvel versions, but it doesn't necessarily make it funner.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Holy Swine

My greatest moment in Trivial Pursuit was getting a question that said something like "Who runs through the brush like the rabbits do?", having no idea, and answering "the British". Which turned out to be right!

I'm good at trivia and enjoy trivia games, which does include Trivial Pursuit. I actually like how hard and dated the base game is; it certainly makes the game challenging.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Yeah that's one that didn't occur to me either. I've played the original version a few times, but it's been quite a while. Meanwhile some local friends have this version and break it out a lot:

This was the version I grew up with. (And yet I've still never watched the movies or read the books.) I mainly just played around with the pieces (it comes with a One Ring!).

I know my sister has a Disney Trivial Pursuit, but I also know better than to ever try to challenge her at it.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I voted for it! Play some variant of Trivial Pursuit at every family gathering. (We are obnoxious know-it-alls) This Thanksgiving we played some non-TP TP-alike (I wanna say... iKNOW) and my triumph was successfully pulling "Pamir Mountains" out of my ass while also successfully sowing doubt in my competitors that it was the right answer, b/c I did not believe it was. I can't tell you whether it's better or worse than Trivial Pursuit.

You can find countless random Trivial Pursuits at Half-Price Books, along with way more old video games than I'm ever expecting.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
This was the version I grew up with. (And yet I've still never watched the movies or read the books.) I mainly just played around with the pieces (it comes with a One Ring!).
Go read The Hobbit and watch the LOTR trilogy.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Agreed. I'll pause the thread until turtle comes back with his book report.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:40 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The list will be over by the time the movies end.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

I had The Simpsons Trivial Pursuit.

Nobody would ever play against me.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:49 PM
forbidden noise

i think we literally have the oldest trivial pursuit version there is, plus something like genus ii? i'm pretty sure my grandparents wouldn't agree to play one made after the 80s
Old 05-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I had The Simpsons Trivial Pursuit.

Nobody would ever play against me.
I am blessed(?), in that if I had Simpsons Trivial Pursuit, I think I would have several friends who would be eager to play.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:52 PM
if-then-eels

Anyone else remember the Trivial Pursuit game show? I liked watching the little pie slices fill up.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:56 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I feel like my brother and I watched the same amount of Simpsons in our lives (a lot when we were children, little after) and I was truly shocked a few years ago when he had no idea who Mrs. Krabappel was when her VA died. (Less shocked by my sister, five years younger)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Anyone else remember the Trivial Pursuit game show? I liked watching the little pie slices fill up.
No... I don't... first video I found is the worst VHS transfer I've seen on youtube, magical. I presume some others are better.

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!