The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Yeah, the vacation one. That's also the one that didn't add any private maids, if I recall correctly, so it's pretty easy for me to just ignore that set since PMs are one of my favorite mechanics in the game.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 AM
forbidden noise

well as long as we're talking about this i also have tanto cuore and put it at 25 on my list

it's a little hard to get people to play it with me outside of cons though
Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM
if-then-eels

Yeah, looking over it it seems there are two cards in question by one artist featuring the same maid. The one where the maid's ass is covering the entire bottom-right corner of the card art, is, well, yeah
Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The only of Dominions multitudinous offshoots I've played is Ascension.
I feel compelled to point out to you, Octo, that Legendary is Dominion/Ascension, only that you're building a deck that helps Spider-man save people or helps Hulk smash.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I feel compelled to point out to you, Octo, that Legendary is Dominion/Ascension, only that you're building a deck that helps Spider-man save people or helps Hulk smash.
Excelsior!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I don't know exactly what you mean by "pure," but...

Puzzle Strike is David Sirlin's take on Dominion by way of Puzzle Fighter. Its #1 feature is that the cards are chips, and instead of spending half the game shuffling, you just draw chips from a bag.

Quarriors is a deckbuilding game where the cards are dice. You draw your hand from the bag each turn and roll them to see what you get to do. Great concept.

Deck Building: The Deck Building Game is a clear sign that the genre has peaked. (See also. I haven't played either of these, but I suspect the titles are more fun than the games.)
Oops, I stand corrected, evidently I have played something in the deck-building genre, it was just cleverly disguised by not containing cards. I had Quarriors! on my list, which I doubt will crack the top 50 at this point. Only played it once or twice but it was good fun. Use resources to buy increasingly powerful creature dice, try to have them survive a round against your opponents to score points.

Also this talk of decks reminded me of another game I completely forgot to put on my list, but it uses fixed decks instead of building them. I guess I don't know for sure it won't show up, although probably not at this point.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
You know what, on that note, I think I'm going to spend today making recommendations. Today's a holiday up here in Canada-land, so I'm going to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday by giving myself a day off before we start the top 10. Here's a quick set of short descriptions of a bunch of games from down-list that I think people here might like! I'm going to try to stick to relatively obscure stuff so that I don't risk spoiling anything that people might potentially be hoping to show up in the top 10. In no particular order:
  • A Few Acres of Snow - This one was just mentioned, and it marries deck-building to war-gaming, making for a war game that's far more accessible than most. A great place dip your toe in if that's a genre you're interested in trying.
  • Advanced Squad Leader - On the far, far end of the spectrum, we have a game that's near and dear to my heart, and easily the most complex game that I have every played by a large, large margin. Advanced Squad Leader is a very crunchy head-to-head hex-based war-game from the 80s with the world's largest instruction manual. The manual is hundreds of pages long and contained in a 3-ring binder. It's based on real military field manuals, and that page count is after making extensive use of abbreviations to save on space such that it reads like a law textbook. And that's not counting the various reference tables that are needed for play. The manual is so long because it cover a ridiculous variety of scenarios that are possible: AQL is the Nethack of tabletop gaming.
  • Diplomacy - Here's a game ostensibly about war, but with almost all of the mechanics removed. Diplomacy is a very simple game for exactly 7 people, and it is a game of negotiation. Each of you is one of 7 European powers, and you wheel and deal in secret with all of your friends before writing down your orders and submitting them. I hope everyone else was honest with you! You know how people like to say that certain games ruin friendships? This one genuinely can.
  • Paranoia - Speaking of Paranoia, that's also the name of my favourite RPG setting! Paranoia is set in a perfect, ideal future, where society is run by friend Computer, who oversees all of Alpha Complex and makes sure that everything stays perfect. Players play as trouble-shooters, who are friend Computer's feet on the ground to help address any problems, but of course there won't be any, because friend Computer is perfect. Please note that all unregistered mutations and membership in secret societies are banned from Alpha Complex on pain of death, but that won't be a problem, will it? (Players are members of secret societies with secret mutant powers.) This is a game that gives everyone a half-dozen clones of themselves because players can and will die repeatedly as they all stab each other in the back in hilarious pursuit of their own secret goals while they're all ostensibly working towards a common goal and trying very hard to stay on friend Computer's good side.
  • Spyfall - Spyfall was mentioned briefly at some point up-thread. It's one of my newest purchases, and I've had a lot of fun with it. Everyone receives a location card in secret (you're all in the same location), except that one of you just receives a card that just says "Spy" on it. You all then take turns asking each other questions about your location in hopes of rooting out the spy, but the Spy wins immediately if they can name where they are, so you need to make your questions and answers vague enough that the Spy can't figure out where you are, but not so vague that you look like the Spy.
  • Ghost Stories - This one was also mentioned up-thread. You and 3 of your friends are tasked with cooperatively defending a village from attacking demons. It's a really crunchy co-operative puzzle.
  • Crokinole - I mentioned this one myself earlier in the thread, but it's a staple of rural Canadian homes. It's a game of manual dexterity where players are tasked with pinging small wooden discs into the centre of a circular board from its periphery, with pegs circling the centre. It's kind of a marriage of shuffleboard and curling, and I played it a ton with my grandfather.
  • Blokus - I'm surprised that more of you aren't familiar with this, but I bet you'd like it. It's a favourite of mine! Blokus has 4 players playing Tetris pieces (not quite true; they vary in size, but you have the correct mental picture now) into a grid such that each of their pieces needs to be diagonally adjacent to one of their existing pieces but cannot be directly adjacent. It's probably just easier to show you. Players want to play as many of their pieces as possible, and the person with the fewest left, or the first person to play all of theirs, wins. Blokus takes only seconds to learn, but high-level play can get pretty complicated, and it's a ton of fun.
  • Dominant Species - This was my number two. It's a very complicated worker placement game about helping your chosen species outrun an encroaching Ice Age. Want to evolve a species of photo-synthetic Spiders that feed on human flesh? This is the game for you!
  • Through the Ages - Speaking of ages, Through the Ages is like the video game Civilization, only it's a board game. Notably, I'd say it does a better job of this than the actual Civilization board game. Also, it's another Vlaada Cvatil joint, so of course I'm a fan.
  • Battle Masters - Remember when we talked about Hero Quest, and how much I loved it? It had a less popular cousin that I also played and loved as a kid, and that game was Battle Masters. It's Hero Quest at a much larger scale, with armies arrayed on a giant playmat. It's essentially Warhammer for kids. It was a ton of fun!
  • Star Wars: X-Wing - Speaking of miniatures, someone applied that concept to Star Wars dog-fighting, and it's really neat! You move ships around and determine fire ranges with little cardboard guides, and it's a really clever implementation. It is also ridiculously expensive if you want to buy more ships and expand your collection, so you should probably run screaming at this point if you're at all interested.
  • Star Wars: Rebellion - Here's another Star Wars game, and it's also expensive, but at least this one is just a single up-front price. Rebellion is a head-to-head Star Wars game where one of you plays the Empire and the other plays the Rebels. You assign leaders (ex: Vader, Palpatine, Luke, Leia) to missions in secret, and then take turns resolving them. As the Rebels, you're tasked with resolving a number of hidden objectives to shorten the game, and as the Empire, you're tasked with finding and destroying the hidden Rebel base before the game ends. The Rebels begin the game by choosing a single space on the board in secret, and then spend the rest of the game bluffing and misleading about which space it is! It's unlike any other game I've ever played, and I've played quite a lot of it at this point without getting sick of it!
  • Robo Rally/Mechs vs Minions - I mention both of these together because they share a core mechanic that a lot of your probably aren't familiar with. Robo Rally has players programming robots with a set of cards/orders (go forward 2 spaces, turn right, etc.), and then resolving those programs together and watching everything go hilariously wrong. Mechs vs. Minions is a modern interpretation of that same formula, with players programming mechs to destroy waves of minions, but with the League of Legends license applied. They're both really funny and fun!
  • Modern Art - Modern Art is a game about art auctions! You take turns auctioning off paintings to the other players, but you won't know how much those painting are worth until the round ends and the demand dictates that worth. It's a fun and simple auction game that adds just enough meat to the simplest auction games (For Sale, High Society) to make it a fun challenge.
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights - This one was never my cup of tea, but most people that I've played it with loved it! It's kind of like Choose Your Own Adventure, the board game, as players play the likes of Sinbad or Ali Baba and go on fantastic adventures, with a rotating storyteller who reads short scenes out of a giant scenario booklet.
  • Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - I've always wanted to play this, but have never had the opportunity. Supposedly it's a great game for couples, but more than that can play. Players are tasked with solving a mystery, and can consult a fake phone book or visit locations for clues, with a similar scenario booklet as that I just described for Tales. At the end of the game, Sherlock walks you through how he would have solved it, and of course he did it much faster and smarter than all of you because he's Sherlock f'ing Holmes.

Alright, that's enough out of me! I hope someone found something in there that might interest them! Look forward to our top 10 countdown, beginning tomorrow!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Robo Rally/Mechs vs Minions - I mention both of these together because they share a core mechanic that a lot of your probably aren't familiar with.
But we already talked about Space Alert!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:37 AM
-ryn

I've played a triangle version of Blokus.

Quote:
Battle Masters - Remember when we talked about Hero Quest, and how much I loved it? It had a less popular cousin that I also played and loved as a kid, and that game was Battle Masters. It's Hero Quest at a much larger scale, with armies arrayed on a giant playmat. It's essentially Warhammer for kids. It was a ton of fun!
Holy Shit. I've played that game!! I was a kid and never knew what it was called. Wow. I don't really remember much of anything about it other than it was big, but I specifically remember that castle tower in the photo.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The problem with Battlemasters was that the cannon was hands down OP. I don't think I ever lost playing as Empire.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 AM
-ryn

oh, yeah. Looking on the wikipedia page, I definitely remember playing this. I remember exactly using the cannon and flipping the tiles over. Me and my friend played against his dad.

My memory of what it looked like was less grey, so I'm assuming my friend's dad painted them.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Diplomacy - Here's a game ostensibly about war, but with almost all of the mechanics removed. Diplomacy is a very simple game for exactly 7 people, and it is a game of negotiation. Each of you is one of 7 European powers, and you wheel and deal in secret with all of your friends before writing down your orders and submitting them. I hope everyone else was honest with you! You know how people like to say that certain games ruin friendships? This one genuinely can.
This reminds me of a diplomacy computer game (that I haven't played) that we briefly talked about on the 80s MacOS episode of Retronauts. It initially looks like a war game set up, but it turns out that the outbreak of war causes you to immediately lose the game. The entire point is to use a complex web of diplomacy to prevent that from happening...

Quote:
Blokus - I'm surprised that more of you aren't familiar with this, but I bet you'd like it. It's a favourite of mine! Blokus has 4 players playing Tetris pieces (not quite true; they vary in size, but you have the correct mental picture now) into a grid such that each of their pieces needs to be diagonally adjacent to one of their existing pieces but cannot be directly adjacent. It's probably just easier to show you. Players want to play as many of their pieces as possible, and the person with the fewest left, or the first person to play all of theirs, wins. Blokus takes only seconds to learn, but high-level play can get pretty complicated, and it's a ton of fun.
I haven't played this one either, but it's a similar setup to an older game which was on my list, Cathedral (1978). In that one you try to fit pieces of a European town (which are essentially the same sort of tetris-etc shapes) onto a cramped grid, but it also has the territory-capture mechanics of Go. An added bonus is that if you have the original wooden version it makes a decent shelf-top art piece.

Quote:
Dominant Species - This was my number two. It's a very complicated worker placement game about helping your chosen species outrun an encroaching Ice Age. Want to evolve a species of photo-synthetic Spiders that feed on human flesh? This is the game for you!
And this one reminds me of a couple different games. One, Trias, is on my list and is a simpler placement game where you command and breed dinos as the hex-based continent of pangaea breaks apart underneath them. The other I can't remember the name of and have totally failed to find online, but it was a sort of educational game of evolution and mutation where you put animals together out of various parts on cards representing front/middle/back sections and tried to get them to thrive in different ecosystems. (There's a much newer game called Evolution that keeps sucking up all my search terms.)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:46 AM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Tales of the Arabian Nights - This one was never my cup of tea, but most people that I've played it with loved it! It's kind of like Choose Your Own Adventure, the board game, as players play the likes of Sinbad or Ali Baba and go on fantastic adventures, with a rotating storyteller who reads short scenes out of a giant scenario booklet.
this is the best. We had a lot of Friday nights after work we'd play this until the wee hours. Usually Kishi would be the reader because he does great voices:3
Old 05-22-2017, 11:54 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
The bonus tiles are also more important than the words themselves. As someone put it, Scrabble is an area control game, not a pure word game.
Sure, which is why it's so amazing that it was invented 80 years ago. The combination of the two "mechanics" adds a lot to each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
BTW, this is something I meant to bring up for Scrabble:

JBear and I both like Scrabble but there is a big difference between us. My parents have a Scrabble board that can be swiveled around so everyone can have the board facing their way when it is their turn. I love it. But JBear doesn't as it messes with his sense of the boardstate. Does anyone have a preference and is it a big issue for you (any other games that may be swiveled can be brought up, too.
My family had the cardboard board, but we would always rotate it so the letters were rightside up for whoever's turn it was. I had one friend go ballistic on me when I did that while playing with them.

---

Dominion

Dominion was revelatory when it released - I mean, I guess games that invent a new genre will do that. Still, the idea of adding (or removing) cards from your shuffled deck as play goes in was really quite amazing. Someone told me it was like Magic drafting, but it's really quite different since competing with other players for cards rarely comes into play. It's really more about analyzing the cards available to add to your deck, figuring out the best strategy with them, and adapting that strategy as you see what your opponents are doing.

That is also one of the game's bigger downfalls. Much like Ticket to Ride when people are doing things on different parts of the map, if everyone has a different strategy, you get the old euro-game multiplayer solitaire thing where each player does there thing until the end when you count up who won. And the original base set had some unfortunate design. Chapel was way too powerful while no other card costing 3 or less passed the silver test (i.e., is it better to just buy a silver when you have 3 coins)

A lot of those flaws were fixed in the first expansion, Intrigue. And while you can still get some degenerate kingdom card combinations, games are quick and expansions have come out quickly enough that you need never get tired of it.

The only other deck building games I've played are Ascension and Paperback Writer and I didn't like either so Dominion remains cream of the crop for me for deckbuilders (though I think I would really like Trains!). I... didn't put Dominion on my list, but I think that's an oversight. Looking at my last 5 or so entries, I think it would beat all of them. So pretend [i]I ranked it number 21[/b].

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Question: does fantasy football count as deckbuilding
No, it's a drafting game. (And a pay way too much attention to football news game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't much care for Dominion's art. I first played the game at a time when I had just been introduced to Agricola and a few similar games, and Dominion ended up being just one in a long line of Medieval/Renaissance Europe-themed games for me.
Yeah, I've never been too impressed by the Dominion art either. There's just not a lot that stands out.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:08 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
This reminds me of a diplomacy computer game (that I haven't played) that we briefly talked about on the 80s MacOS episode of Retronauts. It initially looks like a war game set up, but it turns out that the outbreak of war causes you to immediately lose the game. The entire point is to use a complex web of diplomacy to prevent that from happening...
Oh man, Hidden Agenda, how could I have left that off of my list of games for a Mac Classic console? It was created by Chris Crawford, who is famous for being a great strategy / war game creator and then giving a big "fuck you" to the game industry at GDC 1992 where he announced he wasn't leaving.

I'll comment on the notable runners up when I get a chance.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Paranoia - Speaking of Paranoia, that's also the name of my favourite RPG setting! Paranoia is set in a perfect, ideal future, where society is run by friend Computer, who oversees all of Alpha Complex and makes sure that everything stays perfect. Players play as trouble-shooters, who are friend Computer's feet on the ground to help address any problems, but of course there won't be any, because friend Computer is perfect. Please note that all unregistered mutations and membership in secret societies are banned from Alpha Complex on pain of death, but that won't be a problem, will it? (Players are members of secret societies with secret mutant powers.) This is a game that gives everyone a half-dozen clones of themselves because players can and will die repeatedly as they all stab each other in the back in hilarious pursuit of their own secret goals while they're all ostensibly working towards a common goal and trying very hard to stay on friend Computer's good side.
I love Paranoia too (it was on my list), but there seems to be a key mindset discrepancy for different groups. Some people like to emphasize the slapstick madcap and Marx-Brothers level "wacky fun" that comes from the absurdity of the setting. Other groups like to think of the world a bit more like Brazil or Catch-22 in the "yeah it's hilarious at times, but it's also horrifying" sense. I've also played with one group who played it totally straight and survivalist, minmaxing and playing for advantage despite the fact that they didn't know the rules (displaying knowledge of the rules system is treasonous and can cause you to suffer in-game punishment). All of them "work" and offer their own unique experience.

Personally, I prefer to be in a Marx Bros/Brazil kind of world, with a lean toward Marx Brothers. Jbear (and other players), what are your preferences?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
Personally, I prefer to be in a Marx Bros/Brazil kind of world, with a lean toward Marx Brothers. Jbear (and other players), what are your preferences?
Yeah, that sounds right about where I like to settle in. Zany antics once the shit hits the fan and people start making their moves (most of my favourite Paranoia memories could be set to yakkity sax), but with an air of menace and a lot of terrifying institutional incompetence/dysfunction.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
The actual mechanics quickly became on of my favorite things however, and deckbuilding games are easily one of if not my favorite genre now. Just to name a few off the top of my head that I've played and enjoyed the heck out of: Star Realms, Shadowrun: Crossfire, Thunderstone, Kanzume Goddess, Ascension, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Quarriors, High Command, Mr. Card Game (the official Kingdom of Loathing tabletop game), Legendary, and the one that I've probably played the most out of any game in my collection: Tanto Cuore, which generally isn't as skeevy as most people would assume (uh, ignore the third base set, which has straight-up see through shirts in it. That's what I do) and is the source of more in-jokes with my friends than almost anything else.
Thanks for this. Of these I've played Crossfire (my wife's favorite game, it doesn't do as much for me), Ascension (I'd rather play Dominion), Quiroris (also didn't do much for me, but I likely should give it a second chance) and Legendary (happy to play it, generally held together more by the theme than anything). The others sound like things I should check out.

Paranoia is one of the best one shot light RPGlike experiences out there. It didn't make my list but that's something of an oversight in retrospect (also I should have voted for Redacted, too, now that I'm thinking about it).

Dominant Species is something I suspect I'd rarely get to the table (we did like two rounds of it at DragonCon one year), though it's absolutely up my alley from what I've seen.

Ghost Stories is an excellent little coop and it sees a fair amount of play around my house. I particularly like its 2 and 3 player variants giving you the extra monks powers as something you can activate, very cool design to keep all the parts in the game when you're not running four.

Spyfall is on my short list of things to pick up next time I'm at a game store.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:57 PM
TARANTUL

Also, I generally have no idea what the top 10 is, and that's pretty cool (I can guess two of them, but it may be selection bias as they're my #1 and #2). This is one of the more diverse lists we've seen.

I was going to talk about another game that used deck building elements, but then I couldn't figure if it was just not on the list or in the top 10.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds right about where I like to settle in. Zany antics once the shit hits the fan and people start making their moves (most of my favourite Paranoia memories could be set to yakkity sax), but with an air of menace and a lot of terrifying institutional incompetence/dysfunction.
It's interesting, because despite the fact that most people I know prefer this method, there's a notable dislike for the 2nd edition of the game precisely BECAUSE it went in that direction. Never really been able to understand the issues.

Also, the latest version that was Kickstarted appears to be a major remake/cash grab with cards (read: you have to buy our extra specialized packs of cards) as a mechanic. I backed it and then backed out when it became clear that almost every "stretch goal" was just another opportunity to plunk down 5-10 more pounds for an add-on. Has anyone touched the new version?
Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
[*]Diplomacy - Here's a game ostensibly about war, but with almost all of the mechanics removed. Diplomacy is a very simple game for exactly 7 people, and it is a game of negotiation. Each of you is one of 7 European powers, and you wheel and deal in secret with all of your friends before writing down your orders and submitting them. I hope everyone else was honest with you! You know how people like to say that certain games ruin friendships? This one genuinely can.
I first learned Diplomacy in my junior year of high school where we played a game for our history class. That was enough to inspire me to buy it where, sadly, I've only gotten about four games out of it. It's a tough game to play - It requires 7 people and it also requires everyone can commit to half a day. But when it all comes together, it can lead to the most amazing moments: Wondering every time you submit your orders whether you will be double-crossed. Working on elaborate alliances only to see them crumble when one members sells out. Failing to find anyone willing to support you, only to have your maneuver succeed because your opponent issued a mistaken order.

And because the name of the game is double-crossing, it absolutely can end friendships. We never experienced anything quite that bad, but it probably prevented a couple of friends from being closer with other friends.

I played it a ton online in university and grad school against strangers so I didn't need to worry about offending friends and it still captured the great mood of the game.

The actual rules of the game are a bit complex and fiddly, but I've come to think that's actually on purpose - it emphasizes that war is hard and that not dotting your Is and crossing your Ts can lead to a failed military venture.

There's no way this wasn't going on my list, so, mostly because it's so hard to get to the table, I ranked it 20.

Quote:
[*]Paranoia - Speaking of Paranoia, that's also the name of my favourite RPG setting! Paranoia is set in a perfect, ideal future, where society is run by friend Computer, who oversees all of Alpha Complex and makes sure that everything stays perfect. Players play as trouble-shooters, who are friend Computer's feet on the ground to help address any problems, but of course there won't be any, because friend Computer is perfect. Please note that all unregistered mutations and membership in secret societies are banned from Alpha Complex on pain of death, but that won't be a problem, will it? (Players are members of secret societies with secret mutant powers.) This is a game that gives everyone a half-dozen clones of themselves because players can and will die repeatedly as they all stab each other in the back in hilarious pursuit of their own secret goals while they're all ostensibly working towards a common goal and trying very hard to stay on friend Computer's good side.
I didn't put any Tabletop RPGs on my list for reasons that are pretty much that I wanted to emphasize board games (and I still forgot 2 or 3). But Paranoia is definitely one of the great one-shot RPGs. I also tend toward the Marx Brothers interpretation, but have had a good time with a Brazil game as well.

Quote:
[*]Ghost Stories - This one was also mentioned up-thread. You and 3 of your friends are tasked with cooperatively defending a village from attacking demons. It's a really crunchy co-operative puzzle.
I played this once and liked it well enough, but it's not quite what I'm looking for in a co-op game. Great flavor, tho.

Quote:
[*]Blokus - I'm surprised that more of you aren't familiar with this, but I bet you'd like it. It's a favourite of mine! Blokus has 4 players playing Tetris pieces (not quite true; they vary in size, but you have the correct mental picture now) into a grid such that each of their pieces needs to be diagonally adjacent to one of their existing pieces but cannot be directly adjacent. It's probably just easier to show you. Players want to play as many of their pieces as possible, and the person with the fewest left, or the first person to play all of theirs, wins. Blokus takes only seconds to learn, but high-level play can get pretty complicated, and it's a ton of fun.
We used to play this regularly at my office and was a good way to cool down after a day at work. It doesn't really stick with me, though. One of those game I'm happy to play if someone else suggests it, but I would probably never suggest myself.

Quote:
[*]Through the Ages - Speaking of ages, Through the Ages is like the video game Civilization, only it's a board game. Notably, I'd say it does a better job of this than the actual Civilization board game. Also, it's another Vlaada Cvatil joint, so of course I'm a fan.
I've only played this once with the real board game, because it has a pretty great online client. But I can't really do it more justice than your description. It's a Civilization board game and captures that feel perfectly. I've lost hours of work productivity to this game and would do it again.

I ranked it 7

Quote:
[*]Robo Rally/Mechs vs Minions - I mention both of these together because they share a core mechanic that a lot of your probably aren't familiar with. Robo Rally has players programming robots with a set of cards/orders (go forward 2 spaces, turn right, etc.), and then resolving those programs together and watching everything go hilariously wrong. Mechs vs. Minions is a modern interpretation of that same formula, with players programming mechs to destroy waves of minions, but with the League of Legends license applied. They're both really funny and fun!
Robo Rally is a bit like Arkham Horror for me - a game I'm happy to play once every three months or so. You have to learn to not take it so seriously as your best laid plans will go completely to waste, but it can be very entertaining in that controlled chaos sort of way.

Quote:
[*]Modern Art - Modern Art is a game about art auctions! You take turns auctioning off paintings to the other players, but you won't know how much those painting are worth until the round ends and the demand dictates that worth. It's a fun and simple auction game that adds just enough meat to the simplest auction games (For Sale, High Society) to make it a fun challenge.
I came to the realization that I really dig auction games (3 were on my list) and Modern Art hits that perfectly since it features four different types of auctions. That plus the price manipulation aspect really gets me going. It's also nice that it's simple to play but has super complex strategy.

I ranked it 16

Quote:
[*]Dominant Species - This was my number two. It's a very complicated worker placement game about helping your chosen species outrun an encroaching Ice Age. Want to evolve a species of photo-synthetic Spiders that feed on human flesh? This is the game for you!
I have really really really wanted to play this game ever since I heard about it and watched a bit of it. Just never been able to make it happen.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
if-then-eels

I've never played Diplomacy, but I love the This American Life episode about the game: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad.../got-your-back
Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
It's interesting, because despite the fact that most people I know prefer this method, there's a notable dislike for the 2nd edition of the game precisely BECAUSE it went in that direction. Never really been able to understand the issues.
Because it's much more fun to start with relative sanity and let it devolve. Having the sourcebooks be all wacky-sax makes it feel like there's less room to subvert the situation.

I have the... 25th anniversary edition, though I initially played the XP version.

Quote:
I've never played Diplomacy, but I love the This American Life episode about the game: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad.../got-your-back
It's so true. All of it.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM
if-then-eels

It's like Mafia, only more so
Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I have the... 25th anniversary edition, though I initially played the XP version.
I'm sorry, you have what, Citizen?

You are aware that that is an ultraviolet clearance, are you not?

(I've never owned a Paranoia rulebook, but that's likely helped me not die at least a few times)
Old 05-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Oh man, Hidden Agenda, how could I have left that off of my list of games for a Mac Classic console? It was created by Chris Crawford, who is famous for being a great strategy / war game creator and then giving a big "fuck you" to the game industry at GDC 1992 where he announced he wasn't leaving.

I'll comment on the notable runners up when I get a chance.
Oh nice, I never saw that post because I wasn't reading that thread, but it's a good list. We hit on at least half of those in the Retronauts episode, plus I see a few more we might've gotten to if we had more time (and Manhole got pushed into the 90s episode where we'll talk about Cyan and Myst).
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
well as long as we're talking about this i also have tanto cuore and put it at 25 on my list

it's a little hard to get people to play it with me outside of cons though
Yeah, it was... a bit higher on my list (#4) but that's in large part because of my own sentimentality for it.

Quote:
Yeah, looking over it it seems there are two cards in question by one artist featuring the same maid. The one where the maid's ass is covering the entire bottom-right corner of the card art, is, well, yeah
Yyyyyyyyeah. If she wasn't on one of the memory cards as well, you could just avoid using her, but here we are. At least the dirndls all over the Oktoberfest set are thematic and somewhat more appropriate.

Quote:
Dominion
That is also one of the game's bigger downfalls. Much like Ticket to Ride when people are doing things on different parts of the map, if everyone has a different strategy, you get the old euro-game multiplayer solitaire thing where each player does there thing until the end when you count up who won.
Yeah, that's a failing of certain deckbuilders. There's a little bit of competition in Dominion, but nothing like the head-to-head of High Command or the total "fuck you"-itive-ness of Blood Bowl: Team Manager (quite possibly the saddest casualty of the fallout between Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight Games).

Quote:
Yeah, I've never been too impressed by the Dominion art either. There's just not a lot that stands out.
I'm not alone! I've never seen anything but compliments for Dominion's art before and I just don't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Thanks for this. Of these I've played Crossfire (my wife's favorite game, it doesn't do as much for me), Ascension (I'd rather play Dominion), Quiroris (also didn't do much for me, but I likely should give it a second chance) and Legendary (happy to play it, generally held together more by the theme than anything). The others sound like things I should check out.
I mean, caveat emptor. I really enjoy almost any deckbuilder I play, but if the genre's not for you I don't think I can change that. (That said, if you like CCGs, High Command is a very competitive deckbuilder where the players assemble a deck of cards they'll buy from before play. Dice Masters is the same thing, but built on a Quarriors base, and it has Marvel and Faerun flavors.)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Dinger!

Well, there's four of my picks that aren't in the Top 10!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:40 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
I'm not alone! I've never seen anything but compliments for Dominion's art before and I just don't see it.
Easily the worst part of the game.

Dominion's art ranges from serviceable to Shanty Town.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Easily the worst part of the game.

Dominion's art ranges from serviceable to Shanty Town.
I'm not sure who's telling you the art is good...? Agreed on all fronts. I remember the old (unofficial) online version's art much more fondly. I remember that the "Apprentice" card was Mickey Mouse from Fantasia!

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!