The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Puerto Rico was #1 on BGG for a very, very long time before Agricola dethroned it. These days, it's sitting at #12, and if we're being honest, that's probably more for its historical value -- other games have taken what Puerto Rico did well and done it better. The same could be said for Catan or Dominion (both of which will undoubtedly appear on this list, so click at your peril), but even if they're granddaddies at this point, they're still excellent games in their own right. I didn't vote for Puerto Rico, and I haven't played my copy in years, but I sure do respect it.
Puerto Rico is the Ocarina of Time of the board game world.

yeah, I said it.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Puerto Rico is the Ocarina of Time of the board game world.

yeah, I said it.
Yeah, I keep meaning to replay Puerto Rico, but I just can't be arsed to find all of those gold skulltulas again.

Wait, what were we talking about?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 PM
King Of Space-Time

Rum bacon
Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 PM
For blood and gold

My friends and I were into Puerto Rico when it was the it game in the US. And for good reason as it's a really great game. When you have four people who have played it before, the games go super-quick, but the sheer number of possible strategies means that games rarely feel the same.

If I have to compare, I like Race for the Galaxy better, but the difference between everyone choosing their action simultaneously and players taking their action in turn is actually pretty big so I wouldn't say that Race supplants Puerto Rico or anything.

I haven't played it in awhile just because it's old hat at this point, but I will pretty much never turn it down. It definitely belongs "in the pantheon" and not just for its historical significance.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:26 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
It definitely belongs "in the pantheon" and not just for its historical significance.
This is how I feel every time someone says an older game "got replaced." Since I came to board gaming in 2012, two of my favorite new-to-me games are from the 90s. Acquire, which barely misses my top 10, is from the 60s, so obviously I don't think they got "replaced" by anything.

Since so many people came to board games after 2002, it's easy to think of Puerto Rico as something impossibly ancient, but Andreas Seyfarth actually posted this geeklist a year after the game was published, detailing his influences and providing a sort of designer diary. Most interesting to me, Puerto Rico started out as a modification of Outpost, and dubloons-on-roles comes straight from Vinci.

Honestly, I don't think you could find anything even close to "Puerto Rico, only modernized." The only games that use its core role selection mechanism (Race, EmDo, most of Carl Chudyk's games) take more inspiration from the Puerto Rico card game San Juan than Puerto Rico itself.

The King of Frontier is the only game I have played that I would call a "modernized Puerto Rico". But it's small press, and to date only 204 people have marked it "owned" on BGG.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Not a Beer

I played and enjoyed some Puerto Rico back in the day (I'm pretty sure it's the game a bunch of friends broke out and played on the theater lobby floor while lined up very early for the opening midnight showing of Lord of the Rings), but it didn't quite make my final list, somewhat arbitrarily. It's a good game. I do remember though that whenever we were forced to refer to the "VOLUNTARY AFRICAN COLONISTS", the scare-quotes hung heavy in the air.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#14 - Ticket to Ride
All aboard!

# of players: 2 - 5

Most of you are probably already familiar with Ticket to Ride! That is because it is phenomenally popular. It and another game that I will not name right now for reasons have essentially become the Monopoly of a new generation, and make great gateway games to everything that modern tabletop gaming has to offer. It is bright and colourful, it is simple and thematic, and it is novel. It's a great game for families, or for people new to the hobby. It is not, however, a great game for JBears, but screw those guys!

Ticket to Ride takes one of board-gaming's densest and least accessible subjects, railway network building, and dramatically simplifies it! Players are each given a set of random route cards in secret, and tasked with building networks to connect the ends of those routes. They do this by drawing coloured train cards from a set of face-up cards, or from the top of the draw pile. These train cards can be exchanged in sets of matching colours to allow players to place their trains on the board and connect two cities. Longer connections, which require larger sets, are worth the most points. At the end of the game, points are also awarded for making your secret routes, and for having the longest continuous route, and the player with the most points is the winner!

Most of the strategy in Ticket to Ride is in planning your routes, and balancing the rate at which you acquire train cards versus taking certain key connections early to deny them to other players or prevent them from being denied to you. A player can be essentially knocked out of the game if the rest of the table stops them from reaching a key destination entirely. So what we have here is a game that is simple and accessible, but surprisingly cut-throat, although you can adjust the degree to which that is true by playing on different purchasable boards, of which there are many. Most voters voted for the base game (North America, characterized by long routes on the west half of the board and a warren of short routes on the east half), but we had two votes for Ticket to Ride Europe specifically, and perhaps those voters can speak to the appeal of that specific board.

Ticket to Ride is the sort of game that you see pictures of families playing in a catalogue while everyone smiles. People still remember what catalogues are, right? Anyway, games like that play an important role, and I'm glad that Ticket to Ride exists, even if it's not to my taste. I'd love to hear from folks that do enjoy that taste, though!

(Sorry that this is going up late; I took the day off and just rolled out of bed less than an hour ago.)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
It and another game that I will not name right now for reasons have essentially become the Monopoly of a new generation
ok but let's be real you're talking about game aren't you
Old 05-18-2017, 11:13 AM
For blood and gold

Ticket to Ride is a game about graph theory. And it does a good job with that and makes it pretty fun!

I don't really think it's thematic. I mean, there are a lot of pictures of trains around but the game itself has very little to do with building train routes. I think Agricola matches its theme better and we all know how I felt about the theming of that one.

Anyway, I have played a lot of Ticket to Ride. As mentioned, depending on the board, it can be anything from multiplayer solitaire to cut-throat decisions of when to grab routes in and out of cities. I tend to prefer the latter method of play and thus think the best way to play is American board with 1910 expansion, big cities variant.

Looking at my list, though, it looks like I voted for the Europe version? I really like the short route / long route dichotomy in that and how going for the 8-length connection is a strategy unto itself. It also has stations so you aren't completely screwed if someone take all routes into and out of a city. The rest of it is kinds of fiddly - requiring wildcards for certain routes and tunnels adding a random risk don't really do it for me anymore and unlike America 1910 w/ Big Cities, it doesn't guarantee that players will be using the same parts of the board.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Sudden chomper

Ticket to Ride is a great, accessible game that I've gotten really tired of. I will probably say the same thing about Carcassonne when it eventually shows up on the list. It's a good tool for getting kids into playing decent board games - except then you have to play it with them. ALL THE TIME.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 AM
-ryn

I have never played Ticket to Ride either...
It don't really look that fun to me so I don't have any desire to seek it out, but I'd play it if someone asked me to join a game or something.

edit: I lol'd at the Beatles.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Ticket to Ride is a great, accessible game that I've gotten really tired of.
Same. Thurn & Taxis is my go-to routebuilding game -- it's got a similar "draw cards, make routes" to TtR, but it has much more mechanical depth.

My understanding is that high-level Ticket to Ride play spends the first half of the game drawing cards. I imagine the rest is playing the longest routes for those juicy points, and actually making routes becomes a very distant concern at that point.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
My understanding is that high-level Ticket to Ride play spends the first half of the game drawing cards. I imagine the rest is playing the longest routes for those juicy points, and actually making routes becomes a very distant concern at that point.
The fact that not making your initial tickets is penalized means you actually have to think about completing them, but otherwise, the strategy of just drawing cards for the first half the game and then trying to complete the longest connections will generally do you fine... unless everyone is trying to connect the same cities.

I've also gotten tired of Ticket to Ride in the same way I have Puerto Rico - I'd never ask to bring it to the table anymore but am happy to play if someone invites me.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:23 PM
Video Monster

In terms of thematic train games, my favorite is Trains (not a joke, actual name), which I doubt is on this list but I spoilered it anyway.

Ticket 2 Ride is good stuff! I've had a lot of fun with it but I've never been quite sure if the best strategy is to plug along with your own tickets, try to interfere with other players' routes, or mix it up. It also does get the Beatles song lodged in my head the minute I think of the title, so I'm glad jbear picked that image.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Natural Born Critic

I once deeply disturbed Loki's wife by taking a connection in TTR that I didn't need for my own route, but effectively blocked/lengthened the routes of other players. It had not occurred to her that people would play the game like that.

Loki doesn't really invite me over anymore.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
In terms of thematic train games, my favorite is Trains (not a joke, actual name), which I doubt is on this list but I spoilered it anyway.
Too bad, because this is an awesome game.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
Too bad, because this is an awesome game.
I'll probably talk about it when we inevitably get to Dominion.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
I once deeply disturbed Loki's wife by taking a connection in TTR that I didn't need for my own route, but effectively blocked/lengthened the routes of other players. It had not occurred to her that people would play the game like that.

Loki doesn't really invite me over anymore.
Reminds me of when my family watched an episode of Monk that involved a group of people staying at a small bed and breakfast, finding out that one old man there had an enormous amount of money with him, murdering that man, and conspiring to cover it up. My mom insisted the episode was completely implausible. Maybe one person could murder someone, but a whole group, including a perfectly nice old lady? Never!
Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Ticket to Ride is one of those games that I keep hearing nothing but good things about and keep wanting to play but then I see the prices for modern board games whenever I'm in a shop and I flinch.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Ticket to Ride is one of those games that I keep hearing nothing but good things about and keep wanting to play but then I see the prices for modern board games whenever I'm in a shop and I flinch.
Solutions:
1) Tabletop Simulator!
2) Make friends with people who don't flinch.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Video Monster

If board game costs are daunting to you (and that's understandable), keep in mind that:

- On average, they are about the same price as a brand new console video game
- You may end up getting a better long-term replay value from a board game than a video game
- There is a pretty healthy trade and re-sale market for hobby games, and some games dramatically increase in value after they go out of print
Old 05-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Not a Beer

This is another one I didn't remember whether I'd put on my list, but look, there it is! This is also one I played with my family a few times long ago, since it's good for that sort of thing. Very quick to get through the basic rules and all that.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Solutions:
1) Tabletop Simulator!
2) Make friends with people who don't flinch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
If board game costs are daunting to you (and that's understandable), keep in mind that:

- On average, they are about the same price as a brand new console video game
- You may end up getting a better long-term replay value from a board game than a video game
- There is a pretty healthy trade and re-sale market for hobby games, and some games dramatically increase in value after they go out of print
I'll probably just end up shelling out for Ticket to Ride at some point, especially after reading this entry. Also, JBear is the Beatles game what you spent $200 on?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:57 PM
King Of Space-Time

Catan, Catan, Catan!
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Also, JBear is the Beatles game what you spent $200 on?
I thought I made this clear earlier, but just to spell it out, you've already seen what I spent the $200 on:

Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I thought I made this clear earlier, but just to spell it out, you've already seen what I spent the $200 on:

and it was completely worth it
Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default I bet it was the framing...

That poster cost $200?!

never take it off the wall.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
That poster cost $200?!
Quote:
Nah, don't be silly. Posters are expensive.

I custom-ordered a framed Bertolli canvas print.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Still, never take it off the wall.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I wish this news had come out a couple days ago. There is a Golden Girls Clue game coming out.

Please note that this is a mystery to find who are the last piece of cheesecake, not to find out who the murderer among the Golden Girls is (it's 100% Rose).

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!