The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Default Musicals are great

♪Santa, Santa Evita
Madre de todos los ninos.
De los tiranizados, de los descamisados.
De los trabajadores, del Argentina.♪

After finally finding work last year, I finally wanted to watch live musicals. I wanted to for years, but always found the tickets too expensive, being just a poor student (I found out now that there are super-cheap tickets with bad view, which are still worth it).

Anyway, I started by watching Evita two months ago with a friend. Years ago I watched to movie with Madonna, finding it only ok, but seeing it live was great. The start is pretty great, though I found the next few songs not too interesting. Everything from "I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You" was good to great. Especially everything from "A New Argentina" to "Rainbow Tour" was awesome, and "Reprise" was a great near-finale. But what stuck with me the most was, as can be seen at the top, "Santa Evita". I liked it enough to watch it again today, with another friend.

The other musical I saw was Anatevka, last month. I liked it, but not as much as Evita. A problem was that the main singer didn't sing the words too clear, which made it hard to understand his songs. It got better as it went on, though. There weren't any songs that stood particularly out to me, but also nothing that I disliked. Enjoyable, but I don't think I'll rewatch that one.

So, any musical fans here? Anything great I should watch? Anything popular that was actually disappointing?
Old 06-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I love musicals.

Though most of the ones I love are from the 60s
Old 06-19-2016, 02:38 PM
We just don't know.

My favorite is Chicago. Saw it on broadway before the movie came out, but really liked the movie too. I do a fantastic Mr. Cellophane at Karaoke!
Old 06-19-2016, 03:34 PM
The Blue Hat Returns!

I've taken my wife to see Wicked twice. Beyond that, I'm sort of pedestrian.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

I love musicals so much they're the best I saw Into the Woods in the movie theater and I was very sad the end
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Sudden chomper

My parents didn't listen to a lot of music when I was growing up, but they had a few musical soundtracks and we'd occasionally go see one live, so I've always had a soft spot for them. I've seen Phantom of the Opera (twice), Cats (when I was a kid, loved it then but don't think I could stand it now), Spamalot and Rock of Ages performed live. I've also listened to the soundtracks for Les Miserables and Jesus Christ Superstar too many times to count. The latter might be my favorite musical of all time (there was a brief period in my apartment where we would rock-opera shout things at each other like Jesus and Judas do) - although just recently I got into Hamilton and god damn is it good. I try to see one musical every time I go to New York and I'm really hoping to make it back there in time to catch Hamilton before the original cast bail on the production. I normally get discount tickets at TKTS, but this is one show that I'd pay the full, exorbitant price to see.

EDIT: I just read that tickets for the remaining performances of Hamilton with Miranda are going for minimum $1000 each, so I guess that won't be happening for me! Oh well, he's not the best singer anyway. I just hope I can see the show before the guy who does Lafayette/Jefferson bails, he's super great.

Last edited by MCBanjoMike; 06-20-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 AM

I'm a huge fan of musicals. Must have seen close to 30 so far. In terms of production value , Wicked and Beauty and the Beast are my favorites, but Les Mis has my favorite score
Old 09-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I watched Sound of Music yesterday. 1,5 years ago we sang most of the songs in choir, so I knew the English version. Like all musicals in Vienna though, it was the German version. Unfortunate, but still a great show. It did feel a bit long, but I got hungry at the end, so maybe that's why. My favourite part was the whole beginning, up to and including Do-Re-Mi.

How is it in the US, is it really as popular as it is made out to be? According to people it is super popular everywhere, except in Austria. No idea why people here don't like it, as I said, I found it great.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

It's performed a lot at Christmas here (America) actually, presumably because "Favorite Things" has a gifty-home kind of feel to it.

I don't know that it's really 'popular' per se, because musicals as a genre are losing popularity, but as far as musicals generally go it's pretty much evergreen. Generally favored by older crowds (because blandish, Rogers & Hammerstein, dated to WWII). But it's got a much better shelf-life than most R&H stuff does, so that's something.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

I'm in the middle of watching Galavant (still kind of undecided as to how a musical works as a miniseries, but I'm enjoying it) and both Little Shop of Horrors and South Park: BLU haVE permanent placeS on both my iTunes playlist and deep within my mortal heart
Old 09-19-2016, 12:48 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
I don't know that it's really 'popular' per se, because musicals as a genre are losing popularity
I'd argue that musicals are actually a bigger deal now than they were a decade ago - we live in a post- High School Musical and Glee world. We've had multiple lavish musical movies in the past decade, you have shows like Galavant and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Hamilton is a genuine cultural phenomenon, the live musicals that NBC has been doing around the holidays have been a ratings smash, and you now have stuff like Fun Home on Broadway. It's still a step down from the midcentury heyday of the musical, but I'd describe the state of the American musical as much healthier than it's been in a while.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I'm in the middle of watching Galavant (still kind of undecided as to how a musical works as a miniseries, but I'm enjoying it) and both Little Shop of Horrors and South Park: BLU haVE permanent placeS on both my iTunes playlist and deep within my mortal heart
I shotgunned both seasons on Netflix this weekend. It was fun. But then I love musicals.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
I'd argue that musicals are actually a bigger deal now than they were a decade ago - we live in a post- High School Musical and Glee world. We've had multiple lavish musical movies in the past decade, you have shows like Galavant and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Hamilton is a genuine cultural phenomenon, the live musicals that NBC has been doing around the holidays have been a ratings smash, and you now have stuff like Fun Home on Broadway. It's still a step down from the midcentury heyday of the musical, but I'd describe the state of the American musical as much healthier than it's been in a while.
Book of Mormon was also a genuine phenom as well.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:42 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

This is everything:

Old 05-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Did you guys knew there's a Jim Steinman musical in West End? I didn't! I'm in the intermission now.

No vampires yet, but this is set in a post apocalyptic world where the chemical wars have created an underground civilization of parent less mutants that can't age past eighteen.

Why eighteen? I'm sure it's because it is the earliest age the wardrobe director can get away with showing so much skin.

Let never be said that Steinman doesn't wear his fetishes on his sleeve.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

there is a Heathers musical you guys

Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

.....huh.

Cool.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:33 PM

That reminds me, has the TV series died a horrible death having barely aired an episode yet?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Starts with your heart

Lmao Steinman you horny hack
Old 05-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Lmao Steinman you horny hack
Agreed. But the man can write a mean song. And I don't think there'll ever exist an universe where "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" won't bring the house down.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:39 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
That reminds me, has the TV series died a horrible death having barely aired an episode yet?
They pushed the premiere back after the Parkland shooting. I'm not cynical enough to add another sentence here.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
googledoodles
Published on Aug 24, 2018
Today's Doodle celebrates the 100th birthday of American composer, conductor, pianist, author and music lecturer, Leonard Bernstein!
Old 10-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

EVERYONE, DROP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND RUN, DON'T WALK, DIRECTLY TO NEW YORK CITY!