The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM
HAMKING

Balrog: If you want a change of pace, try doing 5 sets of 5 reps. That’s a good sweet spot for heavier load and still good volume!

Ry: I feel you. Especially on mornings. Once in a blue moon I’ll lift in the morning but it is def not odeal for me.

——

SS Yoke 440# for a triple. Pitched forward some, but that’s kinda the nature of this implement. Pleased with bar speed.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM
HAMKING

Going to try something a little different for a while. No rugby matches in November, so I have some time to experiment. Will still have practice on Thursdays, but the rest of the week is free. Going to run Wendler's Krypteia from the 5/3/1 Forever book. It focuses more on conditioning than what I've been using (basically just regular old 5/3/1), which is better for my current training goal - being a better rugby player. My conditioning is currently miles and miles better than it was a couple of years ago when I was just training for strength and basically nothing else. However, it could always be better.

Krypteia should at least maintain my strength levels, but is supposed to increase my work rate. On the rugby pitch I'm confident in my strength; it's recycling over and over that wears me down. I almost never come out of a match (actually had to leave for a couple of minutes because my nose and eye were bleeding fairly profusely Saturday, tho!) and 80 minutes is a *long* time for my fat ass.

Will still be using the Yoke squat, trap dead, and band pushup as my main three lifts. The program is fairly simple: for the first two cycles I'm hitting 5 reps on the work sets (no AMRAP PR set), then 5x10 volume. Between every set (including warmups and volume) I will be doing close grip pushups (dips if my shoulder lets me) and chins or a row for sets of 10. I will alternate the push and pull each time. This has to be done before 45 minutes runs out.

On the upper body day I am to superset alternating sets of goblet squats and Romanian DL. Same time limit.

After two cycles of that you run one cycle where you use the traditional 5/3/1 scheme for the main sets, push for a PR on the last one, then do 5x5 "first set last" volume. You still do the supersetted assistance and you still have to beat the clock.

I dropped my training maxes, as Wendler and people who have run the program suggest and am excited about this challenge.

Tonight is car push sprints, and tomorrow is day 1 of Krypteia!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

10/26
Bench bar + 40: 4 x 10
Seated dip 140: 4 x 10
Torso machine: lol dunno, a while
Rowing machine: 20 minutes

10/28
Random leg crap: 15 minutes
Bench bar + 50: 4 x 10
Seated dip 140: 4 x 10
Torso machine 95: 4 x 10

I feel like my bench is getting better but after a certain number of reps, I'm toast. Also, I broke a couple bones in my arm like 5 years ago and I don't think they healed back right. My left arm is definitely not as stable as my right.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:37 PM
HAMKING

Good work, Balrog.

How are you bracing for bench? Properly bracing might help your stability.

An olympic barbell is 45#, btw.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I didn't know what bracing what til you mentioned it lol.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:50 AM

Let us know how the program goes Mokrap! I've always been interested in conditioning focused stuff. I have Theories but I'm too scared of the Big Bang to really give a conditioning routine a run. I for sure should, some day.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:49 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Oof, even if the weight wasn't too much for two of the days, kettlebell three days in a row definitely activated some back muscles. I think on weekdays when it's just me and the kiddo I'll do shorter workouts (without the planks) so I'm not so pressed for time trying to be sure she is fed and dishes are done and I can get her up and ready for bed on time. What that means is I may be doing quite a bit of half routines (3 circuits instead of 6), followed by a bunch of swings and overhead press.

Man those swings get the blood pumping and the forearms burning.

Importantly, workout synth! Irving Force - "Godmode"
Old 11-06-2018, 09:35 AM
HAMKING

I'll check that synth out, Ry!

So, on to week two of Krypteia. Got through the first one with time to spare on each workout. I am starting out each session thinking "Damn, I lowered my training max too much" and ending each one fairly gassed, haha. This is fun, and it's nice to be in and out of the garagym so quickly.

Also, I bought a Slingshot and may dip my toe back into benching. Shoulder is still not 100% pain free, but with that device maybe I can make it work.

If not, band pushups 'til Valhalla!

I flirted with the idea of buying a new trap bar, as I often do. The cheapass CAP one I have is rusty, has short sleeves (which is why I bought 100# plates way back), and the knurling is beyond aggressive and is in straight-up cheese grater territory.

Buuuuuut it's the first piece of gym equipment I bought, there's nothing actually *wrong* with it, and it's rated to 750# (if I could somehow fit that much on there). Talked myself out of it! She's a tough old broad and I'm sticking with her.

Last edited by Mokrap of Croton; 11-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 AM
HAMKING

Sweatboi after Saturday’s workout

Quadbeefs

Old 11-06-2018, 11:22 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

NICE

it's a deload week for me, I've been running Madcow 5x5 for 7 straight weeks with no break and the back was feeling crunchy. Then I pick up with another 8 week high-rep program from Lift Big Eat Big.

Then I fucking GO to GODDAMN NORWAY with my boy the first full week of January.

after that, I'm gonna probably do Madcow for a few weeks, take a weeklong break, then do the final part of the high rep trilogy. after all that, I'll evaluate in the spring what's next. might return to alternating heavy weeks and high rep weeks, 5 days a week
Old 11-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I've done the following the past few times:

Bench 105: 4 x 5
Seated dip 160: 4 x 10
Random leg crap: 20 minutes
Torso 80: 4 x 10
Rowing machine: 15-20 minutes

I'm going to bump up the bench a little this week either in weight or reps (probably reps).
Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 AM
HAMKING

Holy shit GODDAMN NORWAY! Awesome.

@Balrog: what kind of leg stuff are you doing? Also, good job consistently gettin' after it! That's the game, right there.

---

Two weeks of Krypteia down. It is gassing me, but I can tell this is going to be what I needed. If I can keep this up I'll cruise into the spring rugby season a much more useful player!

I was in charge of practice last Thursday and I introduced the pack players to car pushing. That was a good time!
Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

About to swing that kettlebell. I need it, since I missed exercise yesterday.

Obviously I'm gonna be listening to that Irving Force album. It makes me want to move stuff faster.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokrap of Croton View Post
@Balrog: what kind of leg stuff are you doing? Also, good job consistently gettin' after it! That's the game, right there.
Usually the leg press and leg extension (if my knee isn't bothering me) or I'll do the two machines where you either squeeze or push out with your thighs. I've only seen women on the latter machines but I kinda just pick whatever is open with leg stuff.

I've hit 410 on the leg press but my knee was sore afterwards so I kinda dialed that back lol.

Tags
#assbutt , anatoly comin' , believe in yo'self , body explosion , brodin , bulk up for the big game , butt-glutes , deca dick , do you even clean , fightingroad! , hamglue , i'm gonna boo boo , jotunheim , king of bench , lifting buddha , lifting is not a sport , maximum goku , maximus claw , muscle bomber , paul is dead