The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 06-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Bob

If my podcast pipe dream ever gets off the ground, I'd totally be a part of a TT podcast network!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:23 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Now on Itunes and youtube and probably other stuff, too.

I added it to my rotation. It was good! Easily my favorite parenting podcast.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:19 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

If you guys talk about wrestling and finance I'd be all in.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:53 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

As I have mentioned before any time I am put in front of a mic I just curse incoherently.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:58 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

"all right guys today we're gonna talk about fuckin ka-bars"
Old 06-03-2018, 11:02 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

"miami vice 2006 is the perfect fucking movie, fucking pristine in all ways, except that fucking shit at the end where sonny crockett drives an american car, what the fuck is up with that shit, did they give that scene to some clueless second unit asshole, I was so fucking pissed"
Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

"or like, you're on to something here, but is this some kinda fuckin retreat to nature? Like the whole fuckin point of the movie is there is no sonny crockett, like everything we know about him they tell us up front it's bullshit. now that all his fuckin bullshit is stripped away, like, like, is this fuckin shitty car the way mann is telling us we're finally seeing like the original sonny, like some dumb fuckin white trash florida pig who thinks a hemi charger is the fuckin Pinnacle of automotive achievement, this fuckin movie, it's the fuckin movie, I love it"
Old 06-03-2018, 07:48 PM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her

I've been getting into Polygon's History of Fun podcast, which is a bunch of short episodes that are all a deep dive into a single subject with no real connective tissue besides being "fun." Subjects thus far have included: Chuck E. Cheese; Neopets; Mr. Potato Head; the N-Gage; Happy Meals; Sledding; Oreos; Trampolines; and, for the five of you who will care very deeply about it, "the history of Undertaker throwing Mankind off Hell in a Cell."

S'pretty good.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Family Man

Talking Simpsons is regularly hovering around the two hour mark now. Without commercials. I still donít know what happened with Chris Antista, but the show has been going off the rails a bit without him. Also, If Bob and Henry are going to scrub him from the show, maybe donít keep using his ďOh Boy, Bobby!Ē line in the news segment?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 PM
That bug is NUTS!

The self-immolation of the Laser Time podcast network makes for a very good afternoon's reading.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:38 PM
Remembers Love

I'm only tangentially familiar with said self-immolation through Retronauts. But it's a shame that Antista is a completely irredeemable shitheel, since he has the best radio voice this side of Mike Toole.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 PM
Remembers Love

Anime World Order is the carrion arm erupting from the grave of rec.arts.anime to grasp the neck of an impressionable young me in 2008, and I'll never forget them for it. But after listening to two honking nerds and a subtly Afrikaans nerd, and bunch of anodyne NPR voices (Parish falls into this category, TBH), Toole's pipes - when he came on to talk about Photon Sailor Starlight or whatever - were a revelation.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Talking Simpsons is regularly hovering around the two hour mark now. Without commercials. I still donít know what happened with Chris Antista, but the show has been going off the rails a bit without him. Also, If Bob and Henry are going to scrub him from the show, maybe donít keep using his ďOh Boy, Bobby!Ē line in the news segment?
Honestly, I feel the opposite, show seems to have improved a bit since Chris was kicked off for being a real sack of crap. Or at least the complaints I had with the show certainly eased off. They seem to have gotten the note that the ordeals of Henry's VHS tapes don't make good radio.

Their special guest hosts can't really compare to their rival Simpson's podcast Everything's Coming Up Simpson's, but that bar is set almost impossibly high, so I can't begrudge that. I have room in my heart for three hours worth of Deep Talk on my favorite tv show a week.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Family Man

I was up until 1 AM last night scouring reddit to learn what actually happened with Laser Time earlier this year. I still couldnít get much of an answer. Still, Iím glad I switched my Patreon five dollars to Talking Simpsons. I havenít listened to any LT podcasts since I stopped my pledge, and from what I read Iím not missing much.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
I was up until 1 AM last night scouring reddit to learn what actually happened with Laser Time earlier this year. I still couldnít get much of an answer. Still, Iím glad I switched my Patreon five dollars to Talking Simpsons. I havenít listened to any LT podcasts since I stopped my pledge, and from what I read Iím not missing much.
From what I can gather Chris Antista broke up with his live-in girlfriend in San Fran before moving back to his home state of Florida sometime within the last several months. I also noticed Matt Jay disappeared from all LT content around the same time, which makes me wonder if he and Chris may have had a falling out.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 AM
-ryn

Quote:
I enjoyed listening to this yesterday.

- I too have failed to get into FFV due to the pressure of picking job combinations. I'm thinking of trying as a newbie like you.
- I do not have a kid, but I watched my niece twice a week when she was a toddler. I could identify with both Brickroad and McClain and that was kinda fun.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:41 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I added it to my rotation. It was good! Easily my favorite parenting podcast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
I enjoyed listening to this yesterday.

- I too have failed to get into FFV due to the pressure of picking job combinations. I'm thinking of trying as a newbie like you.
- I do not have a kid, but I watched my niece twice a week when she was a toddler. I could identify with both Brickroad and McClain and that was kinda fun.
Thanks for the kind words! It's funny that you called it a "parenting" podcast since in the next one we joke about what categories to put the show into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
As I have mentioned before any time I am put in front of a mic I just curse incoherently.
This is usually me, too, but Brick wants to keep the show mostly PG so I'm trying my best to watch my potty mouth. So far he only had to bleep me once in two shows!

Quote:
Huh, i didn't realize he had split. I have to be totally honest, Chris rubbed me the wrong way and is a big part of the reason i stopped listening to Talking Simpsons. I'll have to figure out where I left off and jump back on now.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words! It's funny that you called it a "parenting" podcast since in the next one we joke about what categories to put the show into.
I'm glad you clarified this, because for a second I thought it wasn't (yet) my genre of podcast! I've downloaded both your eps for future dog walks.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:54 PM
-ryn

I quite enjoyed the 2nd episode. I like that you guys muse about things not just video game related.

McClain, I loved your poem. I too was a poetic teen. We studied Emily Dickinson for english class and I kinda fell in love with her stuff. I wrote a poem for class and the teacher made me read it out loud twice. I thought this meant I must be a poetic savant. This was not actually the case. I wrote all that stuff down in a notebook and I was pretty sure that I had it in a box I've been moving since I moved out of my parents house, but I couldn't find it in there... probably for the best.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
I'm glad you clarified this, because for a second I thought it wasn't (yet) my genre of podcast! I've downloaded both your eps for future dog walks.
Sorry for causing confusion! It definitely does not give good advice for parents.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Speaking of Magic Tavern, Mission to Zyxx appears to be that, except Star Trek instead of Generic Fantasy.

Only a couple of episodes in but Iím interested so far.
I am nearly caught up with the series and can now heartily recommend it.

While comparisons to Magic Tavern are unavoidable, it works around my biggest complaints with that show. Thereís far less reference humour (thereís an episode thatís a broad Star Wars parody, but it works extremely well in context), and the show is mostly extremely good about editing around avoiding characters laughing at each other or doing anything that breaks the immersion (some times itís unavoidable). It doesnít take long for the cast to gel, and itís almost hard for me to pick any one character I like more than the other (itís Bargie, though. Itís 100% Bargie.)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Mystery Contraption

Bubble is a new podcast written by Jordan Morris (of Jordan Jesse Go, fame). It was originally a tv show pilot he was shopping around, but never got picked up. And then he remembered that his best friend is a podcast network magnate and opted to release it that-a-way.

Itís about Morgan Skinner, a 20-something gal who is extremely good at killing monsters getting a new job with the Lyft-style monster hunting app Huntr, assigned to save people from the otherworldly creatures breaching her dome-cityís borders.

Just the one episode out so far but itís got a kind of Buffy/Eureka/Middleman vibe that Iím really digging. Iím a fan already.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Goodbye!

Guys, how is it that nobody here is gushing about This Sounds Serious?

This is an 8-episode miniseries that is almost over that is a pitch-perfect parody of Serial and other shows like it. It follows the apparent murder of weatherman Chuck Bronstadt in 2007 in Orlando, Florida and the 911 call placed by his twin brother, Daniel Bronstadt.

The writing in the show is phenomenal. It's full of subtle ticks of speech that are just hilarious. That makes sense, because part of the creative team behind this show are the makers of CBC Radio's This Is That.

"Okay, KCar, that's a Canadian thing I don't know about. Why else should I listen to it?" Well, it features the acting talents of Paul F. Tompkins and... okay, probably a lot of other people you won't recognize. But trust me, it's the best thing you're going to listen to this year.

Basically, it's a subtly funny story podcast that avoids the cloying twee-ness of other parody podcasts. It's whip-smart, quietly cracked, and deeply hilarious. Download it now.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

I can second This Sounds Serious.

It is a piece of work.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Goodbye!

I love it so much. So very much.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
The writing in the show is phenomenal. It's full of subtle ticks of speech that are just hilarious. That makes sense, because part of the creative team behind this show are the makers of CBC Radio's This Is That.
You have literally just cited my most hated radio show. I've even ranted about it on here before!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
You have literally just cited my most hated radio show. I've even ranted about it on here before!
See, for my money the subtlety of This is That makes it one of the actually funny things on CBC Radio. If you want your Canadian comedy to be more upfront about its content, may I direct you to The Irrelevant Show - now THERE'S truth in advertising.

We don't have to fight, I just wanted to make a dig at The Irrelevant Show.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

Default ďOh My God! My brother is sooooo dead!Ē

Iíll admit that I did not see the end of This Sounds Serious coming until the last episode started.

What a gooo~oood bit of radio.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Goodbye!

I did see the end coming, but was no less satisfied for it! Hell of a show. I'll praise it from the rooftops.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:01 AM
hang high, soft star

Second ep of Bubble is out, and I think this is the most I've ever actually appreciated Jonathon Coulton. Also the writing is super sharp! It's just the right mix of twee and cutting for my tastes. I'm incredibly glad this thing is a radio play instead of a TV show! Cause this way I can enjoy it. I appreciated how it set up the masked man in the first ep and does the reveal in an almost bored way, like duh.

So based on how much I've been enjoying this and Zyxx, and how much I enjoy TAZ and Friends at the Table, I'm starting to think I should look into actual old radio plays like Flash Gordon and The Shadow, can anyone speak about stuff like that here? I figure castheads would be the right people to ask.

I'm also thinking it might be fun to make a story based / tabletop play podcast thread separate from this one? Who knows.

Tags
beef-out , podcast , recommendations , the new radio , whats up hot dog