The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Suspected Atarian

Default My (Pieces of) Heart Will Go On - Twilight Princess Forever Thread

So the Fun Club is over, but as a "Married with Kid", I nurse any big game I have like a warm flat beer, so...

Just finished the 5th "dungeon". I was mistaken, I had made it this far in my original play through in 2007. I really liked how this one was themed differently, being the home of the Yeti.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

I was right at the Master Sword part when New Super Mario Bros. Wii came out and I got a little distracted. I'll get back to it eventually, so hold this thought.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 AM
A No.1

Yeah, the fifth dungeon is awesome. First you're surprised that you're actually in the next dungeon, and then you start seeing frozen stuff and you assume you're going to get some sort of fire device to thaw 'em out...and then you get something to SMASH them out instead. Totally rad.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

I just started playing again having nothing to do with the Pieces of Heart thread, and man, this game is still awesome.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

The fifth dungeon is the best, but there's another dungeon that does something similar. They tell you to go to a place (a city in the clouds) to talk to some people, and then you get there and it's a dungeon. It's a little more obvious than Yetitown was, but still. That dungeon is one of the better design in all of Zelda, so it's still pretty damn awesome.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Suspected Atarian

Nearing the end of Dungeon Six. Controlling the big statue and whacking things is pretty great even if the dungeon seems a little contrived even by Zelda standards. And I'm not sure why it is the temple of time...
Old 11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Controlling statues was one of my favorite parts of the game, and like the spinner, I wish it had more general usefulness. I wish there were some giant robots hidden around Hyrule that you could commandeer, instead of just a few small, fenced in statues.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Controlling statues was one of my favorite parts of the game, and like the spinner, I wish it had more general usefulness. I wish there were some giant robots hidden around Hyrule that you could commandeer, instead of just a few small, fenced in statues.
This. I wanted to be able to ride on the back of my personal colossus to the endgame!
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by le geek View Post
And I'm not sure why it is the temple of time...
Well, they wanted to put the Master Sword in the Lost Woods for A Link to the Past fan service, and they also wanted to put it in the Temple of Time for Ocarina fan service. The solution: Put the Temple of Time in the Lost Woods.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Suspected Atarian

Fetch quest!

And I finally got Malo Mart to open in the big city. The magic armor is an odd duck, but it is shiny.

Once I pave the way to the next "dungeon" I kind of want to do more exploring side quest stuff.

Must. Resist. Looking up...hints. For....Stimpy!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 AM
i musnt run away

Aww man, guys, you're making me want to play this again. God I loved this game.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Suspected Atarian

Now about halfway through dungeon 7. Just got the 2nd hookshot, let the spidey fun times begin!

I'm really digging a "new" theme for a dungeon. Is this the first time Zelda has gone all out Laputa?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Little Waves

There was a sky dungeon in The Minish Cap, but screw that game.

...And that just reminded me of the rumored "Sky Temple" in Ocarina of Time, which apparently resulted from someone misidentifying a water texture in the dungeon shown in early footage of the game (which obviously must be a super-secret hidden location in the final release, and not just, you know, a test dungeon).
Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Everyone knows you can only get to the Sky Temple after getting the Triforce and unfreezing Zora's Domain.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Suspected Atarian

OK the Twilight Dungeon is awesome. I'm getting the feeling that this game will finish on a high note, and I am less skeptical about the new Zelda.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

This thread reminds me of what was so disappointing about TP: there were so many great item ideas, but they were all under-utilized. The spinner, ball and chain, and statue controlling were all pretty much useless outside of the areas that you got them in. Hopefully Skyward Sword doesn't fall into this same trap.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM
ribbit

Man, I still need to finish this. I saved in the final dungeon and just sort of forgot about it.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by le geek View Post
OK the Twilight Dungeon is awesome. I'm getting the feeling that this game will finish on a high note, and I am less skeptical about the new Zelda.
It does, though that's what bothers me about the new Zelda: Twilight Princess was about as good of a version of this particular type of Zelda as one could hope for, and the new one - what little they've shown of it, anyway - looks to be in a similar vein. I'm just worried about diminishing returns and all that.

We'll see, I guess.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Twilight Princess is great because some of its best dungeons are near the end, as opposed to being frontloaded like Wind Waker.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
you can't win them all

i wish TP was more frontloaded, actually. i loved it once it got going but the slow first few hours were a real drag and is the main reason i'm not sure i'll ever re-play this game.

i played this game and okami back-to-back a couple of years ago. lessons learned:

- i hate playing as a wolf
- twilight princess is way better because you spend less time playing as a wolf
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
bad at lurking

Oh man, I guess I need to get around to replaying this sometime before the next game comes out (personal tradition). Also, I played on a small, buggy TV before, and now I have a big screen with component cables and a sound system. Should make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool onion View Post
- i hate playing as a wolf
- twilight princess is way better because you spend less time playing as a wolf
I'd love an Okami where you play as a person. Maybe the new Zelda will be more like that and less like a water-color Twilight Princess.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Twilight Princess was about as good of a version of this particular type of Zelda as one could hope for, and the new one - what little they've shown of it, anyway - looks to be in a similar vein. I'm just worried about diminishing returns and all that.
This is my exact feeling. Skyward Sword looks to be the first home console Zelda that I can remember that hasn't completely re-invented itself from the ground up in some way. Whether visually, or from a game design perspective.

There's still a lot left to see- so maybe there's a surprise in store- but I kind of feel like Twilight Princess nailed Zelda. A few things here and there keep it from being the absolute pinnacle of the series- but it's about as good a remake of OoT/LttP as I would expect. From here, they have to really branch out.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Watch and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
This is my exact feeling. Skyward Sword looks to be the first home console Zelda that I can remember that hasn't completely re-invented itself from the ground up in some way. Whether visually, or from a game design perspective.
The number of things we know for sure about Skyward Sword's game design can be counted on one hand. Might be just a touch premature to say this.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
swimming with nanocarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
Really? TP just seemed like a remixed, fleshed out Ocarina of Time to me.

Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing. TP was a great game. But it would be exciting if they were really going to change things up with SS. I think they've taken that formula started in Zelda 1, but really coming into its own in LttP and OoT about as far as they can while still keeping it interesting.

It would be great if SS was more like Majora's Mask. Not necessarily that exact format either, but some radical departure from the "Go to this dungeon, get this weapon, kill this boss, rinse, repeat."
Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Watch and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
It would be great if SS was more like Majora's Mask. Not necessarily that exact format either, but some radical departure from the "Go to this dungeon, get this weapon, kill this boss, rinse, repeat."
Majora's Mask was exactly this, though. MM's major innovation was that it emphasized different elements of the quest than most games in this genre do. The dungeons and bosses aren't central to the experience the way they are in the other Zelda games, but the game is still structured around them.

I realize this is nitpicking.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
The number of things we know for sure about Skyward Sword's game design can be counted on one hand. Might be just a touch premature to say this.
Right, but the point of showing off the game is to get us excited about giving them money for it. I'm sure there will be a few surprises, but if what they showed is a real glimpse of what to expect, then it's a tad worrisome.

Again, I'm waiting to see more before I really start to worry, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
Really? TP just seemed like a remixed, fleshed out Ocarina of Time to me.
Well...yeah. TP was OoT done with slightly more modern sensibilities, and without blurry textures smeared everywhere. And while I'd love an HD Zelda, even without it TP is good enough that I doubt it'll ever look downright bad the way parts of OoT do today. So...yeah, now that they've done that, they need to do something new.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM
bad at lurking

I'm really hoping for a different structure. There was a SS thread somewhere, but in it there was speculation that the part in the trailer with Link diving down through the clouds was a part of the gameplay, and everyone went OMG, Actraiser Zelda! Which, I have to admit, would be pretty cool.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 PM

I think it is officially too late to even be LTTP at this point, but I just played this one! Yay late adoption! Maybe others have recently got the itch to replay this too, so yeah whatever I'm reviving this thread. (cue thread appropriate title)

I eventually greatly enjoyed Twilight Princess - adored it even. The word 'eventually' being the only qualifier I care to add. I noticed that around the midpoint the game gives you more control over the pacing. This really turned my mood around despite not being that big of a shift in mechanical terms. I don't know but for the time starting after you reach Hyrule Field but before you can warp around freely it just felt too inconvenient to freely explore and, at the same time, the main quest just had too many unique sequences slowing your progress. It was so tiresome that it became my big gripe with the game. Which is terrible because I very distinctly decided at the start to do exactly what the game directed instead of slowing down to always try to get away with something (being somewhat worried early on about whether a 40+ hour Zelda game would wear on me). Oh well, sticking with the game paid off thankfully and, in a reversal of psychology, I enjoyed wasting time in the later half of the game.

Enough of criticism though. There's tons of stuff to cheer about in this game, but what I was really caught by was how much I enjoyed the moment to moment thrills - things like reveling in little victories and swearing swift revenge at jerks who hit me or talking back to NPCs. I didn't even realize until it happened but that was something that has been absent in my gaming experience for a long time and its wonderful return pushed my enjoyment up a notch. Oh man, when I got the ball and chain I smashed everyone's faces so hard you should have seen the expression on my face. Especially those snow wolves - glorious payback for all those missed sword swings.

It's also weird playing this game having read for so many years how people have reacted to it. Like: Really? Really? Those rupee messages? That's what the big fuss was about for 5 years? On the plus side, I will credit my enjoyment of the slow opener as being due to having thoroughly adjusted expectations.

Last edited by dosboot; 01-07-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Yeah, there's a lot to love about Twilight Princess. I enjoyed it more than Wind Waker personally. Its problem is that if you write a list of your niggles with the game it ends up pretty long, probably longer than most other Zeldas. So, slow start, often there's nothing meaningful to do outside of the next section, very big and empty overworld, fetch quest padding which is completely unnecessary in a game this long etc.

On the other hand, there's nothing showstopping like some other Zeldas, like Phantom Hourglass's Temple of the bastard Ocean King and (sometimes) fiddly controls, Wind Waker and the Case of Where's Half My Game Gone, and so on.

It also has some of the best dungeons in the series, Midna, some really cool though massively underused powerups and so on which in my opinion make up for its (many, though small) shortcomings.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
t's also weird playing this game having read for so many years how people have reacted to it. Like: Really? Really? Those rupee messages? That's what the big fuss was about for 5 years?
To be fair, it is really annoying.

One of these days I really need to go back and finish the game. 3D Zelda doesn't usually do much for me, but I loved what I played of TP before I stalled out and stopped.

Tags
rise from your grave! , thread shortage , twilight princess , wii u , zelda