The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-23-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
(By the way, if anyone's interested in doing commentary for one of these, it's far easier to set up than racing; all you need is a microphone, web browser, and Discord. Feel free to ask in the alttpr discord if you're interested in giving it a shot, they're always in need of more commentators.)
Is there someone specific I should talk to? I've been interested in helping out for a while. I asked in the discord weeks ago and was told to fill out a volunteer form, but have yet to get any kind of response. But I don't wanna nag anyone!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:37 PM
Tausendsassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
some of the announcers I've really liked: WillardJBradley, Kelpsey/KelseyxLynn (both good, not sure if they're the same person or not), PhantomRyu, Alucard.
I also like Hurfy Durfy, Tojso, NYRambler, and epiblitikos 'cause his voice is sooo sexy~
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I also like Hurfy Durfy, Tojso, NYRambler, and epiblitikos 'cause his voice is sooo sexy~
If you ever get the chance to hear Gesellschaft commentate, you're in for a treat. Her commentary was some of the most in-depth and informative I've ever heard.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Tausendsassa

I'll keep a look out! I've seen some of her races and she's a top-notch player, so that doesn't surprise me.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Is there someone specific I should talk to? I've been interested in helping out for a while. I asked in the discord weeks ago and was told to fill out a volunteer form, but have yet to get any kind of response. But I don't wanna nag anyone!
Hmm, sorry I haven't really kept up with things for a little while now, so I'm not sure if there's some way to jump ahead. I imagine the demand for commentators is a lot higher earlier on in tourneys when there are a million matches going on, so maybe they'll start taking in new commentators again for the next one. Couldn't hurt to just ping them again to ask what's up, though.

Quote:
If you ever get the chance to hear Gesellschaft commentate, you're in for a treat. Her commentary was some of the most in-depth and informative I've ever heard.
Heh, Gesellschaft started racing rando right about the same time I did, so we had a bit of rivalry early on. She quickly surpassed me, and it's been cool seeing her improve ever since, so I recommend watching her races she plays in as well as the ones she commentates.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Sudden chomper

I've been on a big SM kick lately and I've really improved at that game, so I decided to give the SM-LttP crossover randomizer another whirl. The issue that I'm having is that, while I've beaten LttP a couple times, my knowledge of that game is far from encyclopedic. I'm at the point in Metroid where I've picked up every single item that I can without having access to the speed booster or gravity suit (suitless Maridia is still well above my pay grade) and that means it's time to plumb the depths of LttP until I find something important. But of course this is a randomizer, which means I'm missing some pretty key equipment for Link, too! I don't have the lantern or fire rod, so I can't light torches (as far as I'm aware), I don't have the bow (can't complete the first two dungeons) and while I do have the moon pearl, I don't have the mirror. I have gotten my hands on the power glove, the speed boots, the hookshot, the hammer, the shovel, the flute and the tempered sword. But without the flippers or the titan's mitt, I find myself with a lot of dungeons still blocked off. The combo randomizer isn't supposed to force suitless Maridia on the player with the settings I used, so presumably there's still something important that I haven't unearthed, but I'm running out of ideas on where to look. I more or less cleared out the tower dungeon and I can make it partway into the Eastern Palace and the desert, but I can't finish them. I guess I could do Blind's hideout? If anyone has some good ideas on where to look, feel free to give me a clue!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Blind's Hideout has several chests that require no tools, yes. Also, no bow only locks you out of Eastern Palace, as far as I'm aware.

Have you done Death Mountain? Lots of chest opportunities there, too.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM

The Boots means you can unlock the cave right near the Sanctuary, as well as whatever is in the Library of the light world. I'm sure you've checked those, but I often forget about those myself.

You've got a lot of the dark world open to you. Thieves Town/Blind's Hideout and Skull Woods both have a few items in them, although you can only access like two or three chests in Skull Woods without the fire rod. Then you can make your way south of Thieves Town to the dig game and get something there (it's guaranteed to give you an item within 30 digs or so).

You can talk to the Flute kid (who turns into a tree) and get an item.

South of the Big Bomb shop you can blow open a cave to get 4 chests.

You can make a little headway into Palace of Darkness (first dark world dungeon), and open at least one chest, maybe more if that first chest is a key.

If you still haven't found a progression item by then, then the randomizer hates you, but hopefully that gets you somewhere!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Blind's Hideout has several chests that require no tools, yes. Also, no bow only locks you out of Eastern Palace, as far as I'm aware.

Have you done Death Mountain? Lots of chest opportunities there, too.
No bow locks Helmasaur King and only Helmasaur King in Palace of Darkness, too (as well as the Ganon's Tower climb).

Quote:
The Boots means you can unlock the cave right near the Sanctuary, as well as whatever is in the Library of the light world. I'm sure you've checked those, but I often forget about those myself.

You've got a lot of the dark world open to you. Thieves Town/Blind's Hideout and Skull Woods both have a few items in them, although you can only access like two or three chests in Skull Woods without the fire rod. Then you can make your way south of Thieves Town to the dig game and get something there (it's guaranteed to give you an item within 30 digs or so).

You can talk to the Flute kid (who turns into a tree) and get an item.

South of the Big Bomb shop you can blow open a cave to get 4 chests.

You can make a little headway into Palace of Darkness (first dark world dungeon), and open at least one chest, maybe more if that first chest is a key.

If you still haven't found a progression item by then, then the randomizer hates you, but hopefully that gets you somewhere!
Talk to the guy in the cave south of the big bomb shop for another item!

Dark Village has three items, and the rare ones in the light world are worth checking (ice cave, desert old man). There can also be something in the cave north of the Death Mountain access that requires you to beat Agahnim and charge into a nearby tree.

Depending on the options, there are a few items in Hyrule castle basement and the sewers that you may not have checked.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
No bow locks Helmasaur King and only Helmasaur King in Palace of Darkness, too (as well as the Ganon's Tower climb).
You sure? I thought you just needed Magic Hammer (or lots of bombs) to remove the mask, and then you could hit it with anything.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:09 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

You need the bow to get to Helmasaur King but there are no more treasure chests at that point, just the boss drop.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Sudden chomper

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've done a lot of what you're recommending, but not everything. I think I've cleared out the Thieves' Town (except for the stuff at the blacksmith's because no Titan Mitt), I played the shovel and chest games, I got the library item, I found the treasure caves south of Link's house/the pyramid and I got a whole whack of items on Death Mountain. There's a lot of stuff left to collect on Dark World Death Mountain, but can I get there without the mirror? Anyway, right now I guess I need to try clearing out the Palace of Darkness and Blind's hideout, plus maybe find another item or two in the Skull Woods. The lumberjacks are guarding a missile tank, so I don't need to bother with Agahnim - good thing, as I don't have a light source to get to him.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
You need the bow to get to Helmasaur King but there are no more treasure chests at that point, just the boss drop.
Oh right, the statue.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

(Funny part is, I've played the randomizer simulator so much I know what item is needed there but not why.)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've done a lot of what you're recommending, but not everything. I think I've cleared out the Thieves' Town (except for the stuff at the blacksmith's because no Titan Mitt), I played the shovel and chest games, I got the library item, I found the treasure caves south of Link's house/the pyramid and I got a whole whack of items on Death Mountain. There's a lot of stuff left to collect on Dark World Death Mountain, but can I get there without the mirror? Anyway, right now I guess I need to try clearing out the Palace of Darkness and Blind's hideout, plus maybe find another item or two in the Skull Woods. The lumberjacks are guarding a missile tank, so I don't need to bother with Agahnim - good thing, as I don't have a light source to get to him.
You need the Mitts for dark death mountain -- either the rock at the bottom or the TR warp.

With PoD and blind's hideout (Thieves Town? It's the dungeon, not the village, which is village of outcasts) you've got a lot of items still available! Likely you find progression there.

It's also worth mentioning the catfish in NE dark world and the item on the pyramid, if you haven't checked those.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Yes, let's feast!

IIRC, the dungeon is officially Blind's Hideout, but the community always calls it Thieves' Town.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Sudden chomper

The catfish I got, but the pyramid I did not. Are there still items that you throw into the fairy pools Iím randomizer?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
The catfish I got, but the pyramid I did not. Are there still items that you throw into the fairy pools Iím randomizer?
If I remember what I've seen from watching randomizer races you don't throw items in those pools but there are treasure chests in those caves. But I'm not 100% sure about that...
Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
IIRC, the dungeon is officially Blind's Hideout, but the community always calls it Thieves' Town.
Touche!

Quote:
Not in the progression items sense; the pyramid and waterfall fairies have chests. You need flippers or glitches for the waterfall one; the pyramid needs the 5 and 6 crystals, which are random.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
the pyramid needs the 5 and 6 crystals, which are random.
More specifically, the 5 and 6 crystals are required for the bomb shop to sell the giant bomb, which you need to access the pyramid fairy.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
More specifically, the 5 and 6 crystals are required for the bomb shop to sell the giant bomb, which you need to access the pyramid fairy.
Yup. I'm very familiar with this. Pictured, a seed I ran a while back.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Sudden chomper

Is that the fighter's sword?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

It sure is.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Sudden chomper

UPDATE: I couldn't get to Draygon without the speed booster, so I went down to lower Norfair instead. After checking the screw attack loop, I ducked into the energy recharge room to fill up...and found myself in Misery Mire. So I poked around in that dungeon and found the Speed Booster! With that I was able to finish clearing out Norfair and Maridia, which got me the flame rod and the lantern (THANK GOD). At this point I'm effectively done with Super Metroid - I don't have the ice beam, but from what I've heard I can just power bomb the metroids into submission, and Mother Brain will be cake with all the energy tanks and super missiles I've collected. That means I'll mostly be playing LttP from here on out, which is fine except I still don't have the frickin' bow. Is there any other way to kill those stupid red statue guys? Anyway, I did find the titan's mitt and the mirror, so now I can access almost the whole of dark world, including Death Mountain. My only worry is that I wasted both of my small keys from Misery Mire on useless doors (one of which I knew was useless and failed to avoid touching ). Hopefully the randomizer is smart enough to prevent me softlocking a Zelda dungeon...

As far as I'm aware, all that's left for me to find are the ice rod, the bow, the flippers and hopefully the silver arrows. I don't think the latter are necessary to finish the game, but I believe everything else on my list is? I have all three medallions and the cane of Somaria, so I think that's most of the critical items checked.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Ice rod is only necessary if Turtle Rock is necessary. It's also one of the most notoriously annoying items to be blocked by because it can be literally anywhere but Ganons Tower since it doesn't lock anything else.

Bow is only necessary if Eastern Palace and/or Palace of Darkness is necessary. Which I think you mentioned was the case. And yeah, it's because of the red Eyegore enemies, they can only be killed by a bow.

Flippers is only necessary if Swamp Palace is necessary (or if something is locked in the faerie falls, which can be averted if you learn how to do the Fake Flipper trick, its pretty easy to get down!)

Silvers (and by extension Bow) is only necessary if you dont know how to kill Ganon without them. Which is tricky, but doable.

As far as soft locking Mire, I think the logic will prevent you from doing so in all cases. There is only two non dungeon items in that place, so you are probably in the clear as far as that goes.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Sudden chomper

I did it! It took me a full 10 hours, but I finished my crossover randomizer run. By far the biggest hurdle for me was my lack of familiarity with LttP; I thought I could skate by on my SM expertise, but there are three times as many items to find in Zelda so you donít have much choice but to scour the whole game. I essentially did a 100% clear of Suler Metroid and probably 90% of LttP. Iím sure I could cut my time down by several hours if I tried it again, but I might take a few weeks off before my next run. Itís a super cool idea, even if in practice you spend most of your time basically playing a standard LttP randomizer.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 AM

The SM:LttP Rando crossover would probably give me trouble for the exact opposite reason. I know I'd probably end up scrounging for hours and hours looking for something that was hidden in some obscure missle tank location that I've never known about. At this point I know enough about LttPR to know about all the chest locations, and keeping track of that is hard enough!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Sudden chomper

I mean, even I used an item map to track down some of the more obscure SM item spots. The SM half of the game is definitely more treacherous, too, since you can easily softlock the game and you canít just save and quit like in Zelda. Youíre statistically much more likely to get power bombs than regular bombs, and itís easy to run out in a room that requires bombs (or a bomb jump) to escape. I used save states to keep myself from getting into too much trouble...and also to reload the Ganon fight every time heíd knock me down to the inside of the pyramid.

It also helps to know a few advanced tricks. I believe the randomizer expects you to be able to do basic wall jumps, shinesparks and vertical bomb jumps. I can also do the mockball, which opens up a few early item locations, and Iím comfortable enough to do difficult wall jumps and some slightly-advanced shinesparks. None of that is required unless you specifically ask for expert difficulty, but it certainly makes the game easier.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Sudden chomper

So I learned something new about LttP yesterday. I was playing a new seed in crossover randomizer and it was all Zelda all the time; the game just would not give me a morph ball, so Samus was on the bench waiting for Link to find her one. I played through a bunch of LttP, but I wasn't getting some of the important items to open up the world: no gloves of any kind, no hammer, no mirror. Eventually I got to the point where all that was left to do was beat Agahnim to open up the portal to the dark world at the palace, but without the hammer or the gloves I could only get to the pyramid and the Palace of Darkness. I checked around there and still: no gloves, no hammer.

Discouraged, I finally decided to check the spoiler for my seed. It said that the gloves were in the Hype Cave, but as far as I knew there was no way for me to get there. Turns out, I didn't know much of anything! There's a tiny little gap by the river to the east of the pyramid that you can hookshot over, which puts you north of the pyramid. I don't think I had ever done that before because it's so much easier to use the duck and the various warp points to get to that part of the dark world. From there, I could walk all the way around to Thieves' Town, hop down next to the arrow game and make my way over to the Hype cave. Man, it sure takes a lot of knowledge to run a randomizer properly. Gotta watch some more Andy videos...
Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 PM

What a dick seed. That sucks! But yeah, hookshot gets you access to a whoooole lot of stuff.

Tags
fighter sword vitreous , link to the past , lunchbox flute , nintendo , randomizer , rom hacks , sooo random u gaiz , swamp palace big chest , zelda