The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-14-2017, 02:37 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
The original list of optional sprites that you can choose to substitute in for Link, most of which I posted gifs of in the other thread, was Zelda (awesome), Frog, Pony, and Minish Cap Link. TheOkayGuy added a full spritesheet based on the bunny that Link transforms into, which is my personal favorite.
If you go into the dark world as bunny link without the moon pearl then what do you turn into?

Quote:
Yesterday, Zarby added two more spritesheets, which I've now played in my races yesterday and today; first an entire spritesheet based on the Wizzrobe enemies (very popular), and tonight an entire spritesheet based on the old man you rescue from the death mountain ascent cave, who gives you the magic mirror in vanilla and a randomized item in rando.

Fortunately, I didn't find the lamp before rescuing him (and I've practiced rescuing him in the dark before), so I got the special treat of rescuing the old man who lost his lamp as an old man without a lamp. This game is delightful sometimes.
Old Man: "I lost my lamp!"
Old Man Link: "I haven't even found one yet!"
Old 06-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
If you go into the dark world as bunny link without the moon pearl then what do you turn into?
NAKED BUNNY LINK

It is the BEST

Other bunny mode spoilers:

Bunny mode Wizzrobe: Bunny with a wizzrobe hat
Bunny mode Minish Cap Link: bomberman???
Bunny mode Zelda: Bunny in a dress
Bunny mode Pony: apparently a bunny character from MLP? IANAB (i am not a brony)
Bunny mode Old Man: skeleton (I lied, this one's the best)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:22 PM

I really thought round #2 was going to be easy. Had the flute right away, so I was able to get bird on initial visit to Karkariko. Flippers, moon pearl, and gloves turned up by the time I'd cleared Minimoldworm cave. All I needed was the supposedly easier to find lamp, and I'd be able to do almost anything.

Did Thieves dungeon (apparently Blind requires 9 hits no matter what sword you have), Tower of Hera (basement required), and Skull Woods (this is surprisingly short). Picked up several items (hookshot was in there somewhere), but no lamp.

I then proceeded to learn that the Eastern palace has dark rooms. I suppose I always knew this, but never viscerally realized it before. The first couple weren't bad, but I needed to look up the last one, where you have to kill the eye statues for a key. Very glad I had 10 or so hearts for this. Finished, still no lamp.

The only dungeons now accessible to me were Dark Palace (I know that one has a bunch of dark rooms, no thanks), and Ice. Didn't really want to do ice with no Cane (again), but Dark seemed much worse, and ice did hold crystal 6 (5 was in one of the two light world dungeons, don't know if you can tell which). Decided it would make a good opportunity to learn IPBJ, which I did, thanks to Krelbel's wonderful pictures. Makes the palace very short, but had to go back in to get all of the treasures. Still no lamp, but boots obtained.

Boots let me get every item I need to finish the game (cane was, I believe, the only one left), but no map. Decided to check the bomb fairy door, and sure enough, lamp finally shows up. If I assume that Eastern palace held whichever crystal wasn't #5, then the route to get the lamp didn't require any dark rooms, but what a convoluted path (I still have no mirror, but as far as I can tell that's not required at all in this seed). Just getting to Hera required the hookshot, going around the long way, and then the hammer to come back, and Hera was fully required if I assume it was #5.

The depth this thing provides is really impressive. I'm still at the truly learning dungeons and world layouts stage, but it's going to be a fun ride (in about a month, at any rate).
Old 06-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Bear in mind that doing dark rooms without a lamp is a sequence break. Your lamp must be located somewhere you can access without needing to traverse a dark room... but it doesn't have to make it easy.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:50 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

The crystals are still numbered on the map screen, so it's quite possible to get 5 and 6 early and open up the bomb shop. I always do those two dungeons first if possible just to check off two quick chests.

And late flute sucks. It is decided.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
I really thought round #2 was going to be easy. Had the flute right away, so I was able to get bird on initial visit to Karkariko. Flippers, moon pearl, and gloves turned up by the time I'd cleared Minimoldworm cave. All I needed was the supposedly easier to find lamp, and I'd be able to do almost anything.

Did Thieves dungeon (apparently Blind requires 9 hits no matter what sword you have), Tower of Hera (basement required), and Skull Woods (this is surprisingly short). Picked up several items (hookshot was in there somewhere), but no lamp.

I then proceeded to learn that the Eastern palace has dark rooms. I suppose I always knew this, but never viscerally realized it before. The first couple weren't bad, but I needed to look up the last one, where you have to kill the eye statues for a key. Very glad I had 10 or so hearts for this. Finished, still no lamp.

The only dungeons now accessible to me were Dark Palace (I know that one has a bunch of dark rooms, no thanks), and Ice. Didn't really want to do ice with no Cane (again), but Dark seemed much worse, and ice did hold crystal 6 (5 was in one of the two light world dungeons, don't know if you can tell which). Decided it would make a good opportunity to learn IPBJ, which I did, thanks to Krelbel's wonderful pictures. Makes the palace very short, but had to go back in to get all of the treasures. Still no lamp, but boots obtained.

Boots let me get every item I need to finish the game (cane was, I believe, the only one left), but no map. Decided to check the bomb fairy door, and sure enough, lamp finally shows up. If I assume that Eastern palace held whichever crystal wasn't #5, then the route to get the lamp didn't require any dark rooms, but what a convoluted path (I still have no mirror, but as far as I can tell that's not required at all in this seed). Just getting to Hera required the hookshot, going around the long way, and then the hammer to come back, and Hera was fully required if I assume it was #5.

The depth this thing provides is really impressive. I'm still at the truly learning dungeons and world layouts stage, but it's going to be a fun ride (in about a month, at any rate).
Sounds like a pretty fun route!

Yeah, the v22 change pulls lamp a lot earlier on average, but it has some interesting side effects. One that you ran into, and seemed nonintuitive to me at first, was that flute gets placed earlier than it did before; this is because in <=v21, if gloves occurred earlier than flute in the random item order determined at the start of item placement, flute by itself didn't unlock any additional item locations until mitts were placed as well (since flute only unlocks Death Mountain and Misery Mire). But now that the DM ascent is dark in v22, if gloves occur earlier than flute but lamp occurs later than flute in the item order, then flute can be placed when it wouldn't have been placed before, because gloves alone aren't sufficient to access the DM item beneath spectacle rock without lamp. Similarly (and I think I talked about this earlier), bow gets placed a lot later than it did in v21, since in v21 bow always unlocks armos knights regardless of what's been placed already, but in v22 bow only unlocks locations if lamp has been placed already (since the logic assumes you need lamp to access armos knights, due to the dark room).

Like you saw though, troll locations for lamp are still entirely possible; if the flute gets you past the DM ascent, and you have alternate access to the dark world aside from Aga tower, then the lamp can be almost anywhere in the world. The only exception is that the lamp could be as late as Ganon's Tower in <=v21 (with PoD, MM, and TR as pendants, the 7 other crystal dungeons have no dark rooms), but the lamp can't be at Ganon's Tower in v22, since it would require POD, MM, TR, and EP to all be pendants, and there can only be 3.

It's cool that you got to experience the long way around to ToH; like the circuitous dark world routes, that's another one that can trip up people new to rando. A similar fun route is when you get DM access, mirror, and hammer early; that opens up east death mountain by going up to ToH the normal way (with the mirror), then crossing the bridge, going through the hammer barrier, and getting access to the 8 (!) items on east DM. That one's great to do ASAP.

I'd say a good lesson from your search for the lamp showing up in Pyramid Fairy is this: Generally you'll weigh every dungeon according to its time to full clear (lower is better), item count (higher is better), crystal status (crystal's higher priority than pendant, since you need to clear them all anyway), and difference between the time it takes to full clear vs. the time it takes to breeze through (the bigger the time difference between full clear and go mode, the better it is to put off until go mode, the best example being ice palace). All of those factor into the decision of which dungeon to check when, and that's often a very complex decision that leads to similarly skilled players taking drastically different routes. On the item count factor specifically, though, you get to add 1 item to the weight of the green pendant, crystal 5, and crystal 6 dungeons. That very often tilts the decision one way or another regarding what dungeons to check when.

To be specific, though, the fact that lamp was at pyramid fairy means that EP couldn't have been crystal 5 or 6, because that would mean the logic would have required you to do a dark room in order to get the lamp. Same thing applies to MM, PoD, and TR.

Oh, and the EP green eyegore dark room that you did is IMO one of the hardest dark rooms in the game, especially if you don't have a lv3 sword yet, and Heaven help you if you're trying it with fighter sword. Trying to hit the green eyegore while it's vulnerable and wandering around without taking a ton of damage can be insanely difficult, and forget about trying to land an arrow. The only more difficult dark rooms IMO are the second half of PoD without fire rod (dark turtle party can be easily lethal, although oddly enough a bee helps a lot) and dark agahnim's tower (not even once). But the rest are quite reasonable to do with maps IMO.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

IIRC, most of the bosses are utterly chumped by silver arrows, should you get them early.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
IIRC, most of the bosses are utterly chumped by silver arrows, should you get them early.
Most of the GAME is, to be honest with you. Not having to double-tap red enemies is very helpful.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Yep. Off the top of my head, they one-shot armos knights, lanmolas, don't work on moldorm iirc (but who could possibly make that shot anyway), one-shot post-mask helmasaur, one-shot post-puff arrghus, don't work on mothula or blind or kholdstare iirc, two-shot the vitreous big eye and one-shot the little eyes, and don't work on trinexx iirc.

Sort of related to the topic of boss kill strats other than sword, in v23 (probably coming in the next ~week?) they're adding a new game mode for randomizer: swordless! Swordless is normally only possible with a lot of major glitch abuse, but this new mode removes all swords from the item pool, and makes a few modifications to make swordless possible in an otherwise normal randomizer run:

- Curtains/vines in aga tower/skull woods (normally only clearable with sword) are pre-cleared

- Medallions can be used without a sword, but only for unlocking Misery Mire/Turtle Rock

- Ganon can be damaged with hammer, and can be stunned in phase 4 with hammer for silver arrow hits

And that's it. I actually got a sneak preview ROM of this mode last night, and will probably be running it soon. Great practice for swordless strats (and often swordless kills are faster than fighter sword kills, for runs where you're stuck with fighter sword for a long time, although that's less common in v22 than it was in v19-v21).
Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Wouldn't swordless also lock out the two monuments that you get two of the medallions from in a regular game?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:08 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Wouldn't swordless also lock out the two monuments that you get two of the medallions from in a regular game?
That doesn't really seem like it'd be a problem; you're taking out...what, three or four swords from the pool? So you can afford to just not have anything in those spots.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Does Ganon's tower have any dark rooms? The lamp apparently hates me, as I have no lamp in my current game either. The only places left on the map are Turtle Rock (required, but no Cane, so I can't enter), Ice Palace (not required), misery mire (not required or finishable), and Dark Palace (also not required). I suppose it's possible that Sarashala has it, or that it's in turtle rock, but if I stumble on the cane first, I'm hoping I can just do turtle rock->Ganon and skip it entirely. I just have to pick on of the two palaces that aren't required and start looking.

I strongly suspect I'm overly favoring things I can complete vs. things I can't complete, even when I take items into account. Dark Palace is 5 chests, which means I likely should have investigated it before literally every other spot on the map, but I was really hoping to track down the lamp somewhere else (I did get to do Eastern again, but it's much, much easier with a tempered sword over a fighter's).
Old 06-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
That doesn't really seem like it'd be a problem; you're taking out...what, three or four swords from the pool? So you can afford to just not have anything in those spots.
Yeah IIRC swordless either lets you check those spots with just book (instead of the usual book+master sword requirement), or guarantees those spots won't have anything required. I'd have to check to determine which, but I'd assume the former, though maybe not in the prerelease test version I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
Does Ganon's tower have any dark rooms? The lamp apparently hates me, as I have no lamp in my current game either. The only places left on the map are Turtle Rock (required, but no Cane, so I can't enter), Ice Palace (not required), misery mire (not required or finishable), and Dark Palace (also not required). I suppose it's possible that Sarashala has it, or that it's in turtle rock, but if I stumble on the cane first, I'm hoping I can just do turtle rock->Ganon and skip it entirely. I just have to pick on of the two palaces that aren't required and start looking.

I strongly suspect I'm overly favoring things I can complete vs. things I can't complete, even when I take items into account. Dark Palace is 5 chests, which means I likely should have investigated it before literally every other spot on the map, but I was really hoping to track down the lamp somewhere else (I did get to do Eastern again, but it's much, much easier with a tempered sword over a fighter's).
Ganon's Tower doesn't have any dark rooms, but Turtle Rock does (the maze room). It's actually one of the easiest dark rooms in the game if you've practiced it and/or have a map, since the spinning fire bars offer a fairly useful point of reference. PoD has five items, but 6 potential item locations there are gated by dark rooms, and small key distribution heavily weights PoD's items towards those dark chests; they're easy dark rooms to check, but if you're only looking for lamp, it probably won't be there (I've seen it there once, which was a pretty good troll.) Similarly, the lamp could be early in Turtle Rock (including mimic cave), but again small/big key distribution means TR's items are likely to be weighted towards the 4-chest laser room or boss, both of which are gated by its dark maze. That leaves IP with 3 items and MM with 2 items, but one of those items may be at the boss gated by the dark rooms, so I'd say Mire's the least likely spot. If I was playing, and refused to do dark rooms, I'd probably check TR first, then IP, then PoD, then MM in that order. But honestly, TR's dark maze is really reasonable with a map, and it's the only dark room standing between you and victory, I'd recommend just looking up a map and going for it.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:41 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Or - and I say this again - JUST FREAKING TURN OFF THE TRANSPARENCY LAYER.

Sheesh, people, don't make it a thing unless you're actually racing someone else.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Can't do TR, no Cane (unless I can get in without the Cane), otherwise I'd definitely be willing to learn the fire bar room (hated that room as a kid, but it's not nearly as confusing as I remember).

If I had the cane, I'd skip the lamp entirely and just do TR and Ganon. It would amuse me that this is possible.

And if I turn of the transparency layer, I wouldn't actually be learning the rooms, which isn't especially helpful. Just because I'm not timing myself doesn't mean I don't want to learn.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Decided to do Dark Palace, as I figured I could get some practice on the dark rooms in the worst case, and I was pretty geared at this point, do to lamp searching (lvl 4 sword\red armour).

Lamp was in the chest just south of the where the compass normally is (a 5 rupee chest in the normal game). It was the last chest I could check in the palace before dark rooms.

Figured I'd finish the palace at this point. Cane of Somaria was in the Big Chest. Mirrored out, and finished the game.

I still think the lamp is trolling me, though.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Good Bee

Quick storytime from my run last night: It was an entrance randomizer race (all transitions between overworld and not-overworld shuffled with each other, and all dungeons shuffled with each other, while still guaranteeing that the game is possible to complete without major glitches, though obviously the routing can get pretty crazy) with an open (swordless) start, and I checked all of kakariko village as usual, then went to south Lake Hylia to explore the caves there.

Now, one thing to keep in mind here is that in entrance rando, it is crucial that you always write down the location of any cave with items that you discover but can't fully clear immediately, so you know where to return to once you do have the items necessary to clear it. Otherwise, when you do find the items necessary to clear it, you'll almost certainly forget where the cave was, and then you're screwed.

So when I opened up the cave to mini-moldorm cave, I found that it was actually contained... mini-moldorm cave, in its vanilla location. Jackpot! Then a few very silly, very stupid things happened very rapidly:

1) Since I didn't have any way to kill the mini-moldorms to open the door to the 5 items behind them, I immediately turned around and left.

2) I totally forgot to write down the location of mini-moldorm cave.

3) I instantly forgot that I'd just seen mini-moldorm cave a small handful of seconds ago.

4) But fortunately my subconscious was there to come to my rescue! I got a very strong suspicion that I'd recently found mini-moldorm cave and forgotten to write it down, but I wasn't sure when I'd seen it, or if it was just a memory of a previous match sneaking in there giving me that feeling.

5) Finally (within about a minute after that), that suspicion grew strong enough that I decided to double check earlier locations that I thought I might have hurried through. The highest concentration of those locations, and the only ones I double checked, was Kakariko Village. It never once occurred to me that the location I was forgetting was the one I'd checked less than a minute ago.

6) TWIST ENDING: Mini-moldorm cave ended up having nothing (otherwise I'd have been completely screwed, as I never ended up going back there to find it), and I made several other really dumb mistakes in the run not worth mentioning, but I had way better luck in the rest of the run than everyone else I was racing (including several people who are WAY better at the game than I am), so I ended up getting first place in the race, which is only the third time that's happened in the ~75 times I've raced this in the last couple months.

That is the single silliest/dumbest mistake I've made in any of the runs I've ever done, and it ended up being one of my most successful races ever, because if you run this silly game often enough eventually you just get lucky. Hooray rando!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Is there a bit of internal logic preventing the glove from being in the chest in Link's house in a standard game?

I just sat around clicking "generate" for five minutes and didn't get it there once. No real reason other than to see what happens if Link lifts that boulder near the castle and escapes into the Eastern Palace area before going to see Zelda.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Is there a bit of internal logic preventing the glove from being in the chest in Link's house in a standard game?

I just sat around clicking "generate" for five minutes and didn't get it there once. No real reason other than to see what happens if Link lifts that boulder near the castle and escapes into the Eastern Palace area before going to see Zelda.
A lot of interesting things happen if you escape escape; I just asked, and apparently NPCs and items on the ground don't spawn if the game's still in rain state, which is wacky. Fortunately killing agahnim or rescuing zelda is sufficient to get the game out of rain state, and once you've fallen down the hole leading to uncle, those are the only two paths forward, and (like you guessed) the logic prohibits glove upgrades from being in the chest in Link's house (in standard mode).

Yes, I said "killing agahnim" above; in <=v21, aga tower was locked if the game was still in rain state, but that restriction has been lifted in v22; if you get MS or cape in the first 9 chests, there's nothing preventing you from just going straight to Agahnim, although this would be silly to do in a race. Somebody tried this out for fun the other day, beating the entire game with Zelda in tow. Annoyingly, you have to re-save her after aga, after each crystal, and after getting Kiki (who replaces whatever follower you have). But some cool stuff happens; I forget exactly what this looks like, but iirc her sprite is on the same layer as other stuff in the ganon fight, so her sprite gets messed up at certain points in the ganon fight. But yeah, as long as you don't approach the altar of the cathedral (from either direction), she'll remain bound to either you or the dungeon forever.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, that was going to be the next thing I tried since I believe I had a game where I got the MS early but forgot about the possibility until after I'd got to the Sanctuary.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Love and Peace

The semifinals are off to a great start!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:46 AM
A Singularly Dreary Tract

Ha, I was just coming in here to post that exact same vid. That was one hell of a race! Back and forth all the way through with a lot of dramatics throughout!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Holy shit. Yeah, that race was amazing. Super exciting from start to finish.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Good Bee

Well that sure was a hell of a way to kick things off.

Learned about some really interesting gambles all around; that skull woods partial was really interesting, although I'm not sure how well that works with the new v22 small key layout. Might try picking that one up, though.

Hammerless IP was definitely the highlight, though, with Acmlm's wacky bomjumpless-then-bombjump route, both players needing to mirror after checking the one right chest, and Christos's extremely unfortunate error running out of magic on kholdstare. The whole run was great, but that one dungeon was a hell of a roller coaster.

And for those of you who didn't watch it, they made an announcement during the run (when the first player reached hype cave, natch): once the tournament is over, http://twitch.tv/speedgaming will continue hosting interesting LTTP rando exhibition matches throughout July (I imagine this will host some of the neat variations people have been running lately, like enemizer, 2v2, open mode, swordless, and my personal favorite, entrance randomizer), then open signups for another tournament starting in August, and probably lasting the rest of the year. They had about 100 entrants for this tournament, so I imagine this one will get around 200-300 entrants considering how much this tourney has grown the community, and I'll probably be joining the tournament this time!

Really exciting stuff all around.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:28 PM

I saw this LTTP bomb jump compilation video which I thought was useful and worth sharing.

The uploader is also working on a general randomizer tips guide (see link in the description).
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Good Bee

Zora, Samus, Boo, "Girl", and "Boy" added as selectable sprites along with yesterday's v23 update. Played as Boo last night; it's some approximation of a Boo from Super Mario World, and it's delightful. My favorite part is his sarcastic expression whenever he picks up an item and just stares at the camera; really? a single rupee? we came all this way for a single rupee?

Anyway, v23 updates!

Prohibition against power gloves in escape lifted: Guards were shuffled and the altar was lightened in order to remove the logic restrictions preventing the first gloves upgrade from being in Link's house (which would have previously allowed escaping escape, and was thus prohibited) or in sewers (which can't be accessed a second time until you have gloves, so gloves weren't allowed to be there, to avoid screwing yourself over if you miss escape chests on the first pass. I don't think this has noteworthy side effects on item distribution like the earlier lamp changes did, but I haven't thought this all the way through yet.

Phantom menu item for silvers removed: Previously, if you picked up the silver arrows before the bow, you got a single silver arrow icon in your menu to show this. That's fine, but it confused menuing, since it was the only icon in your menu that you couldn't select. That's gone now, and now your HUD arrow icon will be silver after picking up silvers, even if you don't currently have silvers selected. I like this change.

More random digging game: The digging game used to always provide its item on the 15th dig, but now it provides its item on a random dig between 1-30. (The chest game still always provides its item on the first or second chest.) Every player on the same seed will require the same number of digs to keep this fair; it's based on the same seed-specific RNG as aga blue balls, ganon warps, and now...

Unified boss RNG: "All boss RNG is now the same for all players, including all movements and attack patterns (whether Helmasaur shoots fireballs, where Lanmolas’ spawns, etc)". That is to say, if you play seed 123 and get two Helmasaur tail swipes, when playing seed 124 you may not get two Helmasaur tail swipes, but any other player playing seed 123 will also get two Helmasaur tail swipes.

This one's surprisingly controversial; fcoughlin (the Z1R dev) left the Z3R discord in a huff over this last night. On one hand, this makes things more fair, since the difference between racers on the same seed will depend more on skill and less on little RNG differences. On the other hand, this makes things less random between racers on the same seed, which some argue is against the spirit of randomizer, and it disproportionately rewards people who can finish bosses in fewer cycles (i.e. if you beat agahnim without missing a shot and get zero blue balls, but I miss a shot and then get a long unlucky blue ball streak that you got to avoid, that sucks for me, whereas if blue balls were random even on the same seed, that would have ameliorated that somewhat).

I don't care about this one bit, but it sucks to see fcoughlin bail over this; I hope things get patched up there, because he's been helpful for Z3R development as well (he wrote the bot that generates new seeds for races, not essential, but really handy).

Swordless mode: New swordless mode added! Aga/SW curtains removed (since they can only be parted with sword), hammer can break Aga barrier, medallions can be used swordless but only to open TR/MM, Ganon can be damaged by hammer, ether/bombos tablets never required by the logic (since they currently can't be accessed in this mode, as they still require MS+book to access). Can't wait to give this one a try.

Major logic distribution update: Don't have time to get into this, and I haven't begun to wrap my head around the details, but hopefully the details won't be important. All previous versions of the logic greatly rewarded knowing exactly how the logic chose locations to place items, and the effects on optimal routing (dungeon diving is best in v18 except for TR, TR gambles are best in v19-21, TR's garbage again in v22, that sort of thing). The new logic should make item distribution more balanced / less predictable, so the incentive to analyze quirks of the distribution logic should be less important now.

Whole lot of good stuff there, can't wait to play more!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Swordless mode: Ganon can be damaged by hammer
It's hard to describe how difficult this actually is to pull off. If you've ever seen racers hold their sword out during the Helmasaur King fight, they're exploiting a glitch where the hammer gets the sword's range; it makes that fight much easier. Now, if that glitch is helpful against a relatively easy boss, imagine how much the loss of range will hurt against the enemy with the highest contact damage in the game.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
It's hard to describe how difficult this actually is to pull off. If you've ever seen racers hold their sword out during the Helmasaur King fight, they're exploiting a glitch where the hammer gets the sword's range; it makes that fight much easier. Now, if that glitch is helpful against a relatively easy boss, imagine how much the loss of range will hurt against the enemy with the highest contact damage in the game.
Heh, another change I didn't mention was that silvers (normally absent from Hard/Expert modes) are placed in swordless hard/expert modes. That's because silverless swordless ganon (with this patch to make Ganon take damage from hammer) is technically possible, but extraordinarily difficult; silverless ganon is only reasonable because, while ganon's only vulnerable for a couple of frames before warping, as long as that vulnerability window falls between the dozens of frames that your spin attack lasts, along with its huge hitbox, the hit lands just fine. Now imagine doing that, except with a tiny fraction of the frame window and a much tinier hitbox; I've seen a clip of one person pulling off a single hit, it took him over 10 minutes of whiffs to land a single hit, and it takes 24 hits for the kill.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Good Bee

Oh shit you guysssssssssssss

So a silly little goal I set for myself as I started getting into racing this silly game more and more was, I wanted to reach the top 50 ranked players on the SpeedRunsLive ranking for this game.

And finally, on my 71st recorded race for this silly game, after hovering around the 50s-60s for the last 40ish races, after last night's unusually large race where I did slightly better than usual...!

Rank 49!!! I know the ranking algorithm SRL uses is very silly, and this was a silly goal, but anyway it was the goal I've been working towards for over two months now, and it feels great!

-------

Unrelated to all that, just so this isn't just a silly bragpost, I've been getting a little more into spritesheet modification for this game. Somebody made this quick tutorial video on getting started with your first basic sprite modifications (showing how he used it to make a spritesheet that replaces Link with ... Garfield, because why not):

And I threw together a python script (github) to allow grabbing the sprite + palette from a rom, and patching another rom with that sprite, mostly just because I was bored and my internet was down and also originally because I wanted to play other roms as the Super Bunny sprite before it was officially released >_>
Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

You've got a serious tab problem there my friend.

Tags
fighter sword vitreous , link to the past , lunchbox flute , nintendo , randomizer , rom hacks , sooo random u gaiz , swamp palace big chest , zelda