The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
It's the only Zelda game I've ever beaten! Other than Minish Cap, but I was reviewing it for my job and had to. Wouldn't have otherwise.
Were... You using it as research for building a Shrink-Ray?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Space Prez

I started Link to the Past. It's the first time I've sat down to play it since... 1994? I have only ever put about two or three hours into it total. Of course, I'm loving it so far.

I also kicked round Zelda 2 for a few minutes. Is this supposed to look so much like Dragon Quest?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM
I am a Gundam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I also kicked round Zelda 2 for a few minutes. Is this supposed to look so much like Dragon Quest?
Pretty much.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Were... You using it as research for building a Shrink-Ray?
Nah, I was video game editor at the college paper my senior year and that one came up for review.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM
I am a Gundam!

Ocarina 3DS. Fantastic game. Though it was dethroned by Majora's Mask as my favorite Zelda, it'll always be right up there in second place. Zero Links were harmed in the making of this post.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Mystery Contraption

Default Octo should be given carte Blanche at rewriting people's lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Nah, I was video game editor at the college paper my senior year and that one came up for review.
I like my story better.

Tell people that in the future, instead. Kthx.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

I completed Ocarina of Time as well. I think the notable thing about that game, today, is that while it's not the best at any one thing, it is good at all of them. It avoids the bloat that can sometimes weigh down later 3D Zeldas, while still making innovative use of 3D space and visual storytelling that the 2D Zelda games lack. Its tools are all versatile and useful, neither overly specialized or redundant, and has no really obnoxious points. Even the obligatory collect-em-up sidequest is better implemented than any other Zelda game, at least until A Link Between Worlds came along. It is probably the game I would change the least, if it were all up to me.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Yeah, I've been feeling similar since I've started replaying Ocarina alongside Majora. There's 3D Zeldas I like more, and the ones I don't like as much as OoT tend to at least do the combat and puzzles better, but it's still pretty solid all around, a little more open in design, and it doesn't get anywhere near as bogged down in time-wasting nonsense as some of the later games do.

I just wish it had a few more interesting new tools while adapting old standbys to 3D. The slingshot's basically just a bow substitute for kids, deku nuts and deku sticks are practical but boring, and bombchus and Din's Fire are usually impractical because the few melee combatants you would want to use them against are resistant or immune to them.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 PM
Watch and learn

I just started Majora's Mask 3D and the password to the Bombers' hideout generated as 12345. I can tell I'm in for a wild ride here.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 PM
?!

Just beat Majora's Mask 3D.

It was my first time playing more than the opening hour or so of the game, and my final feelings are mixed. I found the first ~20 hours absolutely amazing, some of the best Zelda I've ever played. Exploring the world and figuring out all the sidequests was just incredibly engrossing and rewarding. But, once I got to the back half or so of the game, things really kind of fell apart for me. The time rewind mechanic went from interesting to tedious, and the last few dungeons were more annoying than fun. Any time I had to swim as a Zora was especially the worst.

Overall, still a pretty good game, but just not one that makes my personal top tier of Zelda games. I'm really glad to have played through it once, but probably won't be going in for a replay any time soon.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Come, noble knights!

Default Because somebody had to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
I just started Majora's Mask 3D and the password to the Bombers' hideout generated as 12345. I can tell I'm in for a wild ride here.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Any time I had to swim as a Zora was especially the worst.
The X and Y axis are reversed, so if you push forward (UP) while swimming you move upward instead of downward. I think that can be changed in the options menu, but I'm not sure...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 AM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

Link's Awakening: Why on earth is the power bracelet not a passive bonus as soon as you get it?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 AM
That crazy bird guy

Halfway through Minish Cap now. I want to 100% it, and I thought doing all the Kinstones would be a mess, but as it looks now, getting all the 130 figurines is even worse.
Can anyone who have completed the game tell me it's not as bad as it looks?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

It's worse. I spend a few days grinding shells to get them all and it wasn't fun.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Tausendsassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
Link's Awakening: Why on earth is the power bracelet not a passive bonus as soon as you get it?
This is the one big problem with the Game Boy Zelda games: not enough buttons. :-/

Re: Minish Cap. Grinding for the figurines is one thing I will never have the time and patience for, so this remains the only Zelda game where I have never obtained 100% heart piece completion. Oh well!

Edit: Also wanted to add, if you're attempting to 100% Minish Cap and this is your first playthrough, you should be aware that there is an easily-missable task that must be completed before you reach a certain point in your quest, otherwise you will be unable to get an (optional) item towards the end of the game. It's one of the rare cases in this series where something can be permanently missed! (Maybe the only case? I can't think of any others at the moment...)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
It offers the passive bonus of not chirping up to tell you that rocks and jars are very heavy every time you bump into one.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Tausendsassa

Quote:
It offers the passive bonus of not chirping up to tell you that rocks and jars are very heavy every time you bump into one.
I'm pretty sure that unless it's currently equipped, it does nothing. That message pops up every time if the Power Bracelet isn't on one of your buttons at that moment. They must've realized how annoying this is, because it's fixed in the Oracle games.

Things get much better near the end of Awakening when you get the upgraded sword that can break pots. Better be collectin' those Secret Seashells!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Already been mentioned, but it's definitely because of the lack of buttons. Link's Awakening does the "equip whatever to A and B" thing, so the contextual talking button's only other use is for whatever you have equipped to it.

It gets stupider once you get the Pegasus Boots. Since they're now a separate item, instead of both them and the bracelet using the same contextual action button you have to equip them to both of your item slots if you want to have throwing and dashing at the same time. And given how the item system works now, that means you can't do the most basic of actions (dash with sword) unless you have the sword equipped along with the boots.

It's still one of the better games in the series and worth playing, but it's as much in spite of its item system as it is because of it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I'm pretty sure that unless it's currently equipped, it does nothing. That message pops up every time if the Power Bracelet isn't on one of your buttons at that moment. They must've realized how annoying this is, because it's fixed in the Oracle games.
Actually, the stupid pop-up message for the Power Bracelet stops appearing after you beat the second dungeon. Not right after you get the bracelet though, so if you switch to the sword and feather for reasons and graze a jar in the dungeon it'll bug you with the same old pop-up.

The pillars bustable via Pegasus boots never shut up, though. I get it, I get it, I'll put the stupid boots on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadaph View Post
Halfway through Minish Cap now. I want to 100% it, and I thought doing all the Kinstones would be a mess, but as it looks now, getting all the 130 figurines is even worse.
Can anyone who have completed the game tell me it's not as bad as it looks?
It's worse than it looks. If you're serious about 100%ing the shells, you're looking at either hours of grinding with yellow picolyte and the great spin attack in the western field for Rupees to buy shells,* or if save states are an option, using those to cheat at the money-making game in town if it's been upgraded.

Your reward for all that tedious bullshit? This.

* There is Picolyte for getting shells (green I think), but using Rupee Picolyte is more effective because you'll easily get more shells for the same price by buying them than you would grinding them with Picolyte assistance, and it's not too hard to get about twice the cash you spent on Yellow Picolyte back.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:56 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
The pillars bustable via Pegasus boots never shut up, though. I get it, I get it, I'll put the stupid boots on!
Did you know this Compass has a new feature?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

What does that guardian acorn do again, you guys?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:51 PM
I am a Gundam!

Link's Awakening desperately needs a remake to just make it more convenient. It's still my 3rd favorite, though.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Space Prez

Does anyone else think that Link's hair looks kind of red-ish in LttP? It's a little distracting.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Mystery Contraption

Nah man, it's pink.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I beat The Legend of Zelda. It's fascinating to see what a powerhouse you are at the end of the game, with the Magic Sword, the Red Ring and all hearts. Everything dies in three hits max and you are nearly unbeatable, especially if you have the potion too.

I love that it is so short, and strictly action- and exploration-based. This simplicity makes it one of my favorite Zeldas - I think the only one I played through more often is OoT.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Watch and learn

Specifically, Link's hair is pink in ALttP so that they could use the same palette for both his normal form and his bunny form.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Better be the real thing.

Speaking of palettes, in my randomized Second Quest, I wound up getting the Red Ring in the first dungeon. Since the basic sword uses the same palette as Link, it turns parts of the hilt red. I thought it looked pretty nice.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Speaking of palettes, in my randomized Second Quest, I wound up getting the Red Ring in the first dungeon. Since the basic sword uses the same palette as Link, it turns parts of the hilt red. I thought it looked pretty nice.
The raft, bow, arrow, boomerang, Pol's Voice, shopkeepers, and Princess Zelda share the same palette as Link too, so they also change color with the armor upgrades he gets.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished off Oracle of Seasons and started a linked game of Oracle of Ages.

Maybe it's just ennui from overfamiliarity from Links Awakening, but Seasons (for the most part) has held up even better. It might even be my favorite GB Zelda. Dungeons were dense and well-crafted, boss fights were great, and despite being fairly linear, the map encouraged you to explore rather than railroading you down a certain path.

Biggest problem is the gigantic difficulty spike at the very end. Unless you either are in a Linked Game and have access to the Level 3 Sword and Shield or else manage to complete what is likely the most obscure side-quests in the series, Onox is pretty unlikely to ever die.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM
That crazy bird guy

I prefered Ages over Seasons because the focus was on puzzles rather than force, and the game didn't have that difficulty spike. If I was to recommend an order to play them, I would say to start with Ages, just so you can get your upgraded stuff in Seasons, making the difficulty spike more manageable.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Mystery Contraption

Those are definitely strong arguments in favor of Ages, as well as the fact that Ages is every bit as much of a Weird Game as Links Awakening and Majoras Mask, but I still prefer Seasons. I prefer the more active boss fights and I love how much more open it feels, Ages feels a lot more railroaded and, frankly, overly chatty.

I'm of two minds on how each dungeon has its own little vignette you need to get through before you can start Explorin'. On the one hand, most of them are completely bonkers in the best possible way. On the other hand, some of those sequences are so aggravating that they almost ruin the game for me.

Tags
collective challenge , vandal pyro elf , zelda