The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Creating new content for Link to the Past and then locking it behind doing stuff in a separate multiplayer only mode that requires people to have the same handheld, the same game, and a high enough level of skill to play together without wanting to tear each others' throats out is definitely the most cruel thing LttP's GBA port did.
That's true, but on the other hand, learning to do the glitch to get into the dungeon without the multiplayer unlock was my first exposure into the wide wonderful world of LttP exploration glitches, and game glitches like that in general. It left quite the impact at the time!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

I beat A Link Between Worlds in January, too.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 PM

I beat Oracle of Ages this month.

Also this month, I beat and collected everything in A Link Between Worlds including all heart containers, all 5 bottles, Maiamai babies (meaning all my items are upgraded including the bug net and torch), lvl 3 Master Sword, and 9999 rupees, etc. I'm also pretty sure I've explored every single nook and cranny in both overworlds. 2 things stopping me from truly 100%ing it: dodging Cuccos for 999.99 seconds in the Endless Cucco game, (my body is not ready), and I didn't do the Spotpass game.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Coincidentally I'm watching the Game Grumps play through Zelda II, and both that video series and this comment have made me wonder how the developers actually designed Iron Knuckles to be fought. Surely the slippery jumping stab is an unintended hitbox exploit, right? So did they really want you to engage in a protracted sword battle with each one? As quickly as IKs are able to switch up their blocking that seems arduous and impractical.
Fighting red ironknuckles the hard way is one of life's true joys.

The blue ones can go die in a fire.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:57 AM
I am a Gundam!

Well on my way through Zelda's second quest. While I used my own maps for the first quest, I'm not gonna deal with the nightmarish jerkery of wizzrobes e'erywhere and be my own cartographer.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 AM
Serious Businessman

How odd, I've been making plans to do this over the past few weeks too. I guess Hyrule Warriors is really effective nostalgia fuel.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I resumed playing Links Awakening last night, having left off midway through Bottle Grotto.

Before going to work this morning I had just finished Eagle Tower and was heading to Turtle Rock.

Now, admittedly as a mild challenge run where I'm avoiding any upgrades except for the Heart Containers from bosses, which is speeding things up, but still...

I think I know this game too well.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:40 AM
That crazy bird guy

I'm currently doing all the Zelda games. Started last year, but because of reasons, it has taken me longer than I expected.
Completed this year: Four Swords Adventures on Gamecube

Currently halfway through Minish Cap, but certain heartpieces in that game will take me a while (scowling at the figurine guy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
What about the CD-i games?

Get out.
Hey, I completed all three last year, so I wouldn't really object to doing them again. Played far worse games.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadaph View Post
Hey, I completed all three last year, so I wouldn't really object to doing them again. Played far worse games.
I bet you can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 AM
That crazy bird guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I bet you can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!
Great! I'll grab my stuff!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 AM
I am a Gundam!

Aaaaaand, that's all she wrote for The Legend of Zelda - Second Quest. I was a little surprised. After the initial hump, the game was pretty much the same in terms of difficulty. I guess you can only do so much to a fully loaded-out Link. Enemies can only be so strong, you know? Blue Wizzrobes were still the biggest threat, and once I got past the two dungeons that featured them heavily, it was smooth sailing. Heck, I kind of feel like levels 7, 8, and 9 were easier in the second quest than the first, even.

Only 28 Links were harmed during the making of this post.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Mystery Contraption

Links Awakening DX is beaten. Still rock solid by any standard.
On to Four Swords Anniversary
Old 03-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Writing

I guess I didn't mention in my earlier post that I've beaten Majora's Mask 3D roughly 10 times since it landed.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Pronouns: He/Him

I don't think I have the time to replay the Zelda games, but this is a good excuse to finally get around to Zelda 1's Second Quest and Zelda 2...
Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Just beat First Quest for this week, with only two deaths! I find it kinda funny how Level-9 has no Darknuts. Instead it prefers the infernal combination of Bubbles, Wizzrobes, and Like-Likes.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I've never beaten the Second Quest. I should do that.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Four Swords Anniversary is really easy and short so long as you don't bother with the (honestly pretty ample) post game. It also loses a lot when playing solo, but it it was built entirely around multiple players, so I can forgive that.

On the one hand, a Zelda game that is nothing but quick, arcade-y dungeon crawling is a great idea, but the execution is more than a little lacklustre. Puzzles are virtually non-existent since you are given the solution before they actually show up; when a pedestal offering you a Roc Cape shows up, you can guess pretty accurately that youre going to need to start jumping over some things soon. Also, unless you find the Speed Seeds, you're stuck crawling along, and you even lose THAT if you run out of hearts. Which is really about the only penalty for dying.

Also, except for Manhandla, none of the bosses are particularly enjoyable to fight.

I mean, as a free game, it's good enough that I'm not going to complain, and I really wish they'd return to the concept (not counting Adventures), but Anniversary is, on the whole, kiiiiiiinda butt.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Well yeah, the main game in Four Swords Anniversary is nothing to write home about. It's really obvious you're playing something that was intended for two or more people that's been compromised for a single player mode.

The bonus dungeons are really the meat of the experience. People playing in a group will have an advantage, but since the new dungeons were made from the ground up for the DSiWare version (and aren't procedurally generated from a few preset dungeon chunks like the originals) they're generally more polished design-wise.

But mainly I like them 'cuz they're not afraid to offer a challenge like the main game is. Those Wizzrobes and ball & chain guys can be pretty nasty in numbers and with the right room designs.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

I got bored. So I beat First Quest again.

Three deaths this time. Hilariously, at one point, I died just as I was grabbing a heart, so as the game over animation was happening, there was one heart sitting in my life bar. Welp!

I've decided that the best way to deal with Level-6 is to skip the Wand completely. Likewise, skip the Book in Level-8.

Also, I've learned that the top-right room in Level-7 is a special kind of hell.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Aaaaaand, that's all she wrote for The Legend of Zelda - Second Quest. I was a little surprised. After the initial hump, the game was pretty much the same in terms of difficulty. I guess you can only do so much to a fully loaded-out Link. Enemies can only be so strong, you know? Blue Wizzrobes were still the biggest threat, and once I got past the two dungeons that featured them heavily, it was smooth sailing. Heck, I kind of feel like levels 7, 8, and 9 were easier in the second quest than the first, even.

Only 28 Links were harmed during the making of this post.
Dungeon navigation is considerably more challenging in the second quest, so if you were using maps, you cut out a large chunk of the difficulty increase.

The second quest attempts to serve up more difficult dungeon bosses, and it succeeds in that they're more interesting than just "Gleeok with even more heads this time" (looking at you, Zelda Classic), but there's only so much you can do with the enemies in this game. Ganon just gets more life, IIRC.

Ultimately, the original Zelda was more about exploration and discovery than combat, and overemphasizing combat (looking at you, Zelda Classic) not only misses the point but also delivers a worse game. If you want a combat-centric Zelda game, Adventure of Link is this way.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Tausendsassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
I've decided that the best way to deal with Level-6 is to skip the Wand completely. Likewise, skip the Book in Level-8.
I always get the magic wand, but I skip the book. It makes the wand practically unusable for me, because I hate having to wait for the fire to burn out before I can use it again. What a terrible "upgrade."
Old 03-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Come, noble knights!

Just finished replaying The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past a little while ago. The game definitely feels a little bloated near the end with dungeons that go on forever and ever and ever, but I still had a good time.

I also used magic a lot more this playthrough, which revealed that the medallions are awesome. Quake is great for handling those li'l asshole statue guys in the mountains (Magic Powder too, to a lesser, harder to aim extent), Bombos can be used in place of the Fire Rod for the fifth dungeon and one-shots the boss's ice barrier, and Ether...well, you already know frozen enemy + hammer means the thing pays for its own MP cost and then some, but it also works on many enemies that the Ice Rod itself doesn't.

The ball & chain guys are much easier if you take a detour to get the medallion before going up Hyrule Castle's higher floors.

I shit you not, I froze those fucking penguins. Ether can freeze a lot of stuff I didn't know it could freeze, but this is ridiculous. And awesome. Ridiculously awesome.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Better be the real thing.

I finished a playthrough of the Zelda Randomizer yesterday, and had a blast. I've never explored the entire overworld, picked up a Magic Shield, White Sword before finding the first level, or relied so heavily on bombs, or fought Ganon only two rooms from the Level 9 entrance.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Mystery Contraption

I think my favorite detail about the Oracle games is that they reveal that, in Hyrule, there's an entire race of skeleton pirates, called Piratians.

You might, not unreasonably, think that they are ghost pirates or some such. But no, because you also meet a dead skeleton pirate who has turned into a ghost.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:19 PM
I am a Gundam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I think my favorite detail about the Oracle games is that they reveal that, in Hyrule, there's an entire race of skeleton pirates, called Piratians.

You might, not unreasonably, think that they are ghost pirates or some such. But no, because you also meet a dead skeleton pirate who has turned into a ghost.
It's... it's so beautiful.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:02 PM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

I started Link's Awakening today. This is going to be whimsical as shit, isn't it?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:08 PM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

Also, my mom found out i was doing this and expressed the desire to replay Zelda 1. I'll be introducing her to the wonders of emulation when i go to Florida next week.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I just defeated Ganon in the Adventure Map of Hyrule Warriors. That counts, right? It had credits and everything!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
I am a Gundam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
I started Link's Awakening today. This is going to be whimsical as shit, isn't it?
Oh god yeah. It's some really heavy surreal theming.

Playing through Ocarina of Time, and the dungeons are really impressive. They're all relatively quick and nothing ever overstays its welcome. There's some great use of three dimensional space in the dungeons, but not so much that dungeons become difficult to comprehend. And something that makes it stand out against my favorite Zelda games is how solid a sense of identity each dungeon has. I mean, just because of the two outside areas, the Forest Temple is probably my favorite dungeon in the series.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Oh god yeah. It's some really heavy surreal theming.
It's the only Zelda game I've ever beaten! Other than Minish Cap, but I was reviewing it for my job and had to. Wouldn't have otherwise.

Anyway, started Majora's Mask last night and got as far as turning back into my normal self. The catching the bombers stuff and sitting around for days when you can't actually do anything yet is pretty frustrating.

Tags
collective challenge , vandal pyro elf , zelda