The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-03-2016, 05:31 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him
Default Mobius Final Fantasy

http://na.square-enix.com/mobiusff/

Here's yet another Final Fantasy free-to-play phone game, upping the production values even more. The story seems to be a re-imagining of Final Fantasy 1: you play a nameless character, in a world full of other nameless characters, who's supposed to be the Warrior Of Light. Garland and Sarah are also characters. That's all I know.

The overall gameplay is what you'd expect from this kind of game: you have stamina and you do a series of battles in each zone and level up, etc. This game has cards that you equip to a deck. Your deck is determined by a job card, and each job has a set of upgrades you spend skill spheres on to make it better (and also to unlock other jobs). The cards in your deck influence which skill spheres you get after beating each zone, and you also level up your abilities in a few different ways. To start out, you get Apprentice Mage, Onion Knight, and Ranger, and those unlock Better Mage, Warrior, Better Ranger, and so on.

The combat borrows a simplified version of the Break system from FFXIII: enemies have a break gauge, and when you deplete it, they take loads of extra damage for a certain number of turns (this is a turn-based game) There's also a lot of stuff going in with elements. In order to use abilities, you have to have X number of elemental orbs, which you generate through hitting things. And there's other stuff like consuming orbs to raise your elemental resistance and modifying which orbs will be generated from attacks.

I have not messed around with the monetization stuff yet. You do get some Magicite (this game's currency) for free based on time: every 16 hours or so you get 100. It's got Ability Tickets, Friend Tickets, Job Tickets, and probably another Ticket I'm forgetting. Also it has 1 extra step for stamina refreshing for some reason: you use Elixirs and you can buy them for 100 Magicite or get them from completing maps. Rarity is tied to ability cards, so I'm assuming getting 4* abilities for each element and class-category is a good head start.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

They tried to bill this as a full-fledged RPG, but it seems just to be another take on the "do five battles in a row" thing. Which is fine, but I'm a little sad.

Also I still miss the weirdo sexpot clothes the hero used to wear.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

I went into this thread thinking someone had discovered designs for a shelved Final Fantasy game with art by Mobius.

I'm sad now.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 PM

the tutorial of this game is super hand-holdy and on the rails. glad that's over with. not really sure if i internalized most of what it had to say.

and the user interface of this game is pretty, uh, all over the place. in some places its really slick and intuitive. in others--it's jam-packed with useless garbage information.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Crazy Old Bird

The fact that you have to go into a separate menu to switch targets is pretty annoying.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

That looks... unappealing. Is there anything worthwhile about the game design?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
That looks... unappealing. Is there anything worthwhile about the game design?
I'm kind of interested to see where it goes with harder content, because the fact that you only have 1 person in a fight makes it way different from the other FF phone games. Combat is definitely going to be where the meat is, and I could easily see it becoming fairly compelling in-battle resource management.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
I went into this thread thinking someone had discovered designs for a shelved Final Fantasy game with art by Mobius.

I'm sad now.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

This thread reminded me about that Bioware RPG set in the Sonic world and boy I'm glad this isn't more of that
Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 PM
whatever it takes

Final Fantasy on my phone? Great let me put my hand in this mousetrap again
Old 08-03-2016, 11:52 PM

The best feature of this game is that you can probably also use your phone to cook stuff while running it.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, that sort of thing is hilarious. Playing Exvius my phone stays ice cold if it's out of its case, but if I browse the internet I now have a handy hand warmer.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 AM
hang high, soft star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Final Fantasy on my phone? Great let me put my hand in this mousetrap again
Vaeran, no! Stop! Bad!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 PM

General consensus toward this seems pretty sour overall. I'll keep it installed and mess around with it a little bit, but it feels like Final Fantasy 13 Mobile thru the lens of FF1 trappings.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 PM
World of Darkness Returns

The battle system is just slightly more involved than Pokemon Go, if that gives you an indication of how fun it is.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

I made it as far as the (I think) of the tutorials but god. Playing this then going back to Record Keeper i felt like I had my face against my phone, the UI was so much bigger/clearer/easier to read.

And RK's UI isn't very good.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:45 PM

This game is very weird. I'm still playing it but I haven't cleared Chapter 1 yet (I think I'm pretty close). I've died twice against bosses that I was kind of underleveled for. I'm not entirely sure what to shoot for against bosses: do I want to bring 1 really powerful ability they're weak to? If I do that, do I want to use it as much as I can or should I wait until they're broken? Sometimes it takes a while to break a boss, and if I can't raise my resistance to their element it can hurt a lot over 4 or 5 turns.

I figured out what the deal is with Summon Tickets. You can use them to get 3* and 4* abilities and also new Job cards. What's confusing is I spent 6 tickets to unlock Knight, and the Onion Knight starter also has an upgrade on its 3rd page of the license grid thing called "Knight," but really that just unlocks subsequent pages of its license grid thing. The Knight I got from the Summon has its own license grid thing and base stats and a different limit break, different elements it can equip, etc. I also got a 3* ability from a boss, so it seems that rarity isn't entirely locked behind rolling the dice on ability summons.

And yes, the UI is the biggest issue with this game. I am enjoying it a lot though, somehow? I guess because it's just...not really obvious how all these pieces fit together. Cards have levels which increase your stats, but Jobs also have their own license grid thing that increases stats too? Wha? And it doesn't even seem like having better stats will help you that much against harder bosses, because you need to be able to break them and them kill them without dying yourself. I don't think it's feasible to take them down to 0 without going for a break, which means you do have to know what's going on with the battle system.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Does this game have friend codes buried someplace?

I got as far as the crystal with princess Sarah in it. I haven't died yet, but I got really close in a boss fight before I started bringing Yuna's card with me. I also found a few blizzara (?) rentals and they just cleaned house vs. all the fire elemental types in the early areas. I focus a lot on drawing reds vs. these fire bosses for the resist and to (I think?) get more blues to spawn to power my ice magic. My general strategy has been to beat down with green to break, absorb red for resist and then once broken use the blues that have built for damage.

How do I tell if something's AoE? Those blizzaras and the fire swing(?) are both AoEs and good for clearing out a wave of trash.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Does this game have friend codes buried someplace?
Not sure, haven't looked around. I do have some kind of ID sequence at the top of my screen, so it's probably that. I'm sharing a maxed out Quetzacoatl I got from the forced summon in the tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
How do I tell if something's AoE? Those blizzaras and the fire swing(?) are both AoEs and good for clearing out a wave of trash.
There's an icon to indicate if it's an circle or cone AoE. -ara spells are cones and -agas are circles, and Ranger and Warrior-type skills have a similar naming convention (I think it's Burst and Blast for Warriors? I forget Ranger).
Old 08-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

D-did part of this thread get thrown into the sun?

Anyway, if this wasn't the 90th ftp Final Fantasy, I think people would be more receptive to it. The combat's mana management focus is very compelling, there's a huge amount customization options, and the mazeier maps feel like a better fusion of "pick stage" and "explore location" than what Brave Exvius did. Also sometimes you can manually walk around also for.... reasons?
Old 08-07-2016, 12:09 PM

I finally got the global version installed, and yeah, it's fun. Near as I can tell, maxing out your skill sheet thing on your job card unlocks the next tier of job (if you have crystals for it) and it all feels sorta like the Crystarium in FF13. And the Break part feels kinda like staggering.

My stupid friend ID number thing is 20aa 0419 2a6d if people want to add me. I'm kinda confuse what my rental card/ability will be. Hopefully I can set it up to my Brave support card or something else like that.

Hilarious (to me, anyway) side note: Not long after completing the main tutorial stuff, and then my daily reward thing, the game prompted me to spend those tablets to go to the trials area. I went there and figured out the pattern (so to speak) to it and cleaned house in one of the metal cactuar areas, gaining like 5 or 6 player levels to go with a bunch of card levels, and now I have like 170 stamina as a buffer over my regular max stamina, from all the constant "you gained a level, max stamina up" bonuses.

I'm not gonna call this game fantastic or anything, but it seems a lot better than Brave Exvius turned out, and is not the same kind of weekly gatcha event deal that FFRK is.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:15 PM

I didn't really care for the game, in a lot of ways, in spite of giving it a fair shake. Made it to the end of the 2nd chapter and nothing was grabbing me.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

So, I did a Job Summon. Got Hunter. Looks like you can access any job via your starting Job Cards, but you only get one panel for each job, and you only get upgrades for the starting weapon. The individual Job Cards get yous new weapon's upgrades instead of new jobs for filling a panel out, and have a full four panels of upgrades for that job. They also have different elements available than your default, so where starter Ranger is Wind, Water, Earth; Hunter is Wind, Water, Fire. Looks like you can take any weapon you've gotten from a Job Card to any other Job Card that uses the same type.

Or in other words, the jobs you unlock with your starter job cards are really just like preview or trial versions.

The no duplicates guarantee and the access to all the jobs (sort of) must be concessions to the fact that jobs cost TWENTY AMERICAN DOLLARS EACH

I hope there are way more Summon Tickets available.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 08-07-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:58 AM

I've been playing more of this, and it's fun. I also set up my rental card to my pretty good 3* maxed out Brave, which is a staple of my Ranger deck.

Upgrading jobs seems totally worth it. Ranger is my best job by far because I upgraded it from Neophyte, so now it's got way more of all stats than the other beginner jobs. And by tabbing over to the third tab, I can see that eventually, it upgrades to Thief. Though I remember hearing that even though it was called Thief, it didn't have Steal or anything like that.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Everything I thought about Job Cards is wrong.

So

I guess you can pay $20 or 6 Summon Tickets for nebulous benefits. Maybe.

All my summon tickets are going to Job Summons until I get Knight, tho. Yes, I have Knight on my Onion Knight card. No, I don't know if it matters.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 PM
whatever it takes

I downloaded this the day it came out, and based on the impressions in this thread, deleted it today without ever having opened the app.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Everything I thought about Job Cards is wrong.

So

I guess you can pay $20 or 6 Summon Tickets for nebulous benefits. Maybe.

All my summon tickets are going to Job Summons until I get Knight, tho. Yes, I have Knight on my Onion Knight card. No, I don't know if it matters.
I got Knight from my Job Summon and it didn't seem to have any extra benefits on it. Did you unlock the Knight panel in your Onion Knight card? Like I said:
Quote:
This game is very weird.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I got Knight from my Job Summon and it didn't seem to have any extra benefits on it. Did you unlock the Knight panel in your Onion Knight card? Like I said:
Yeah, I have (Onion Knight) Knight but not (Knight) Knight. Maybe the panels for real job cards are better? (Hunter) Hunter has a pile of Break Ups on it's first page that (Neophyte Ranger) Hunter doesn't.

Anyway, if you guys haven't built some Light and/or Dark Seed production into your decks, you probably want to? They're rather rare seed types at the moment.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the Skill Seeds you get after battle are based on your deck. Every card produces a few seeds. Typically about four to six total. So like, a card will have Fire Fire Fire Fire Wind Wind or some such. If you fuse cards of the same element (or regular Cactaur) on the card, you can upgrade each instance to give more seeds, so you end up with Fire x3 Fire x3 Fire Fire Wind Wind. The seed payouts upgrade in order, and the starting chunk tend to be the element of the card. There AREN'T Light or Dark cards, so you have to get them as a secondary feature of another card. Which means they're not only rare but also hard to upgrade. Luckily cards with Light or Dark seed production tend to be decent.

Here's lists of the cards that feature each in the Ability Shop:

Light
  • Salamander (Fire/Light)
  • Succubus (Water/Light)
  • Lakshmi (Wind/Light)
  • Moogle (uh... it's a support, so... Wind maybe? /Light)

Dark
  • Geryon (Fire/Dark)
  • Valefor (Water for some reason /Dark)
  • Valkyrie (Water/Dark)
  • Quetzalcoatl (Wind/Dark)
  • Raiden (Earth/Dark)
  • Artemis (Support Water?/Dark)

If you need a whole pile of a particular element that isn't Light or Dark, the _____shift Support cards all have six instances of the relevant element. I didn't bother writing those down, but Centicore's the Wind one. You could also use their abilities to use cards your class doesn't make orbs for, but that would be hard to coordinate for very likely little benefit. No idea if you get seeds from rental cards or not.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 08-08-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Correction: Moogle's Ability is Faith. CAIT SITH has Cure. I got my small fuzzy white animals mixed up.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:55 AM

This game's pretty good now that I'm starting to understand it a little better. I did a Job Summon since I had enough summon tickets, and... I got a Knight. Aside from using different elements from the upgraded Onion Knight, it also seems to get 4 attacks/turn, which is pretty huge.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

(Onion Knight) Knight gets the same colors and speed as (Knight) Knight. Knight's focus seems to be on Breaking dudes. Often times I'll Inferno a fresh Water enemy and then Break it in one normal attack. Hunter (which seems to crit 24/7) also has four speed, so I wonder if all the 3rd panel classes have four speed? Being able to perform a Drive or use a card AND still get in your three-hit combo does change strategy up quite a bit.

Anyone notice how Job Summon says there are six Jobs, but your Job Card list has 12 slots? Also, none of us have drawn Warrior, Ranger, or Mage from Job Summon? The place an NPC tells you about in Castle Cornelia has three routes out of it, each unlocked via performing 40ish kills with a Job type. I SUSPECT this is where you get the Job Cards for Warrior, Ranger, and Mage, but I'll have to complete them and see...

Tags
actually not terrible? , actually terrible? , final fantasy , mobius , mouroborius , ouroboros , ourumobius , square enix , terrible actually.