The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
So the moral is that it turns out it's easy to crank out hundreds of stories if you don't give a shit about the quality of the work you put out?
...or if your editor doesn't give a shit about the quality of work you put out because they're making huge bank off of you and it's less effort to not-edit something than to edit it, yes.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Lupin the 3rd part 4 is beautiful.

Lupin the 3rd part 5 is gorgeous.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Mischief Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
I also liked how "their" is used as a pronoun for all of the gem people. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this!
If memory serves, when they were translating it, the mangaka had to step in and explicitly say all the gempeople are nonbinary/genderless/have no gender. It's a nice touch.

There's some who say it "loses characterization" because part of the characterization comes from "This one uses this masculine pronoun, while this one uses this feminine pronoun in Japanese" but I mean, not much is missed. It's still a good read. I recommend reading the manga, it's a bit further ahead and it starts pressing hard on the earlier issue you mentioned with immortal gem bodies and such.

Also the first statue they made for it was that scene with Antarcticite. You know, where they're telling Phos to be quiet as they're shredded by the arrows.. Yeah, put that in your statue room.

Monsters destroying my heart.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrai View Post
There's some who say it "loses characterization" because part of the characterization comes from "This one uses this masculine pronoun, while this one uses this feminine pronoun in Japanese" but I mean, not much is missed.
It definitely loses some stuff, but no more than most things lose during translation. I remember pretty vividly there's one scene towards the end of the show where Phos & Bort & Dia are fighting a monster. Up to this point in the story, Bort & Dia's relationship is pretty ambiguous, but the way Dia follows behind Bort and admires them, and the way Bort is protective but haughty and dismissive of Dia implies a certain relationship dynamic between the two. And then when Dia finds herself cut off from help and being battered into pieces by the monster, Bort shows up to the party late and cries out in shock "Onii-chan!" to Dia which is so loaded and completely flips your preconceptions upside down. Because it turns out Dia is the older sibling, and Bort adores/idolizes her but is overly protective thanks to how fragile she is. Like, that's a big revelatory moment for these characters and there's a buttload of meaning and inuendo loaded into just one pronoun, and it just falls completely flat/loses all its meaning in English because how do you translate "Onii-chan" into English without sounding really awkward and weird?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 PM
till the sheriff stops by

So tonight I watched Holmes of Kyoto and Phantom of the Twilight. The former is... kind of dull. I guess in theory, I could enjoy a "light antique mystery" series but the characters and story are really uninteresting. But me and JBear are probably in for one more episode because we are both curious what an actual "case" will look like on a show where the biggest conflict is our hero browbeating a counterfeiter. And also there's a main villain counterfeiter, I guess.

Phantom of the Twilight is much, much worse, but I had a better time watching it. It's ineptitude is sort of delightful, though I have no intent on watching any more episodes. Much of how it lays out it's premise is very clumsy. Halfway through I thought "this feels like a D-list YA novel". Towards the climax, I thought "no, this is more like a 17 year old girl's creative writing assignment". It's a series of dumb things happening, and a villain makes an appearance and he kind of looks alty-righty and also it turns out in this world that hot-lookin' monster boys are called "Twilights", which made me laugh. My favourite part in this dumb show involved the characters expounding at length about supernatural non-sense the way some pre-teens might if they were pretending to be monster hunters, and I was praying that it was all an elaborate con on the main character.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrai View Post
If memory serves, when they were translating it, the mangaka had to step in and explicitly say all the gempeople are nonbinary/genderless/have no gender. It's a nice touch.

There's some who say it "loses characterization" because part of the characterization comes from "This one uses this masculine pronoun, while this one uses this feminine pronoun in Japanese" but I mean, not much is missed.
Basically, the original text creates nonbinary characters through a playful excess of gender, while the English translation creates nonbinary characters by largely eliminating gender.

I think the original text is much more interesting, but it would admittedly be a very hard effect to preserve in English (especially for manga/anime translators who are probably rushed and underpaid, translating a serialized work with a lot of characters where they can't anticipate future developments to ensure consistency).
Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Inherently Stealthy

JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable:

Iíve just learned that JoJoís hair is a causal loop and I canít take this.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable:

Iíve just learned that JoJoís hair is a causal loop and I canít take this.
Better yet, this weird plot thing never matters. This is why I love JoJo.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Haunted

Pronouns: He/Him

I watched Your Name and while for the most part I enjoyed it (thereís something appealing to me about anime landscapes), when the male lead wakes up in the female leadís body for the first time and starts groping her I thought ďthis is a pretty bad way to start a movieĒ, and then it kept happening. The movie would be a lot better without the sexual assault.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:26 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Interpreted charitably, it's intended as a riff on "if I changed genders, I'd never leave the house," but as Yimothy says, it has a grody cast to it, and once is way more than enough, and it happens several times.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM
Find Your Reason

One of my biggest disconnects with that movie is that, despite weeks (months?) of swapping back and forth and presumably learning boundaries, respect, and sensitivity around each other's bodies, the very first thing the male protag does when he reconnects with her after losing her (and after he found out she was killed by the meteor) is grope her.

But oh, hahahaha, ruining a moment of emotional relief for the male lead and the audience is OK because anime comedy!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Okay, serious question: What good 80s/90s sci-fi anime would you recommend? Like, I know about stuff like Cowboy Bebob and Ghost in the Shell and what have you, but I'd love to broaden my horizons. Like really, sci-fi anime was one of the big reasons I originally fell in love with anime.

Also I am open to suggestions from before or after the 80s/90s window if you have any good ones.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Find Your Reason

Wings of Honneamise.

Patlabor TV and Patlabor movies.

If you expand the search into the 00s, Planetes and Last Exile.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Better be the real thing.

Dirty Pair, Macross Plus, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (it's sci-fi more in the sense that Dune is sci-fi), Neon Genesis Evangelion (love it or hate it, you cannot escape it). I also seem to remember Dominion: Tank Police being somewhat watchable back when it was on Saturday Anime.

Also, I haven't seen Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket or Gunbuster, but I've always heard those are pretty great. There's also Outlaw Star and Trigun, though I've only seen scattered episodes of each. The late 90's certainly had a thing about anime space cowboys.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Speaking of Trigun, the back of the DVD set I have lists the genre as;

Action (accurate)
Space (Misleading, but technically correct)
Super Powers (also accurate)
Sci-Fi (redundant, but yes)
Fan Service (that is not a genre. That is, at best, an acknowledgement that a gentleman takes a shirt off)
Bishoujo (I AM PERHAPS MIS-REMEMBERING THE SHOW?)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Okay, serious question: What good 80s/90s sci-fi anime would you recommend? Like, I know about stuff like Cowboy Bebob and Ghost in the Shell and what have you, but I'd love to broaden my horizons. Like really, sci-fi anime was one of the big reasons I originally fell in love with anime.

Also I am open to suggestions from before or after the 80s/90s window if you have any good ones.
Before? Well, if you want to go old school (though this is technically 1980 itself, if I remember correctly) Galaxy Express 999. For the longest time, I vaguely remembered it as an anime movie that appeared on TV that I wasn't interested in. For some reason, a few years ago, I downed the first nine episodes of the TV series and was very impressed. I don't know if it holds up for its entire 100-something episode run, but those first few episodes are mostly gold.

More recently... I do want to recommend Megalobox with the caveat that it's really more of a sports series with sci-fi trappings. But it's really, really good and I feel even some of the not-specifically sci-fi stuff fits in comfortably with the sci-fi trappings (and while it is loosely based of the classic anime Ashita no Joe, it also feels like it borrows a little bit from Richard Matheson's short story Steel, which was also made into a good Twilight Zone episode and loosely intothe not so good but kind of enjoyable sports movie Real Steel).

What else. Oh, it's a bit wonky, but me and JBear watched Kado: The Right Answer, which is... I think good all throughout but it... OK, the vaguest of spoilers but still, this could benefit or hinder enjoyment going in completely cold: There's a big tonal shift in about the last third of the series. I enjoyed it throughout and am sort of impressed it went there, but I could see someone turning on it for that.

Oh, and it's a little off-beat, but I remember Kaiba being really good in a sci-fi fairy tale sort of way. I need to revisit that one.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Bishoujo (I AM PERHAPS MIS-REMEMBERING THE SHOW?)
At first, I thought that said "bishounen" and I was like "I guess, maybe if you squint." But then I saw what you actually wrote and I don't know, man.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I mean, Meryl and Milly are awesome, but yeah, I dunno.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Meanwhile, other old SF to check out:
Bubblegum Crisis, Battle Angel Alita, Iria: Zeiram the Animation, Captain Tylor, Megazone 23, They Were 11, Toards the Terra, Kacho Ouji, Legend of Galactic Heroes, and of course all the Macross.

More recent: Mouretsu Space Pirates, Suisei no Gargantia
Old 07-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Goodbye!

Oh man, definitely The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I laughed so hard at that show back when. I'm going to guess that's a bit aged, but still pretty solid.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Seconding the rec for Galaxy Express 999. I'll also add in Captain Harlock. They're by the same author and they're both quintessentially episodic sci-fi space westerns.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:35 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Old 07-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely keep these in mind. Just wish the digital outlets I have available were better about featuring both older anime and alternate voice tracks,* but I'm not averse to hunting down DVD sets as long as the price is reasonable.

* I'll watch dubs when they're good (Cowboy Bebop comes to mind), but even if I don't use them I still like having the original Japanese voices as an option. I'm very disappointed that including language options is still a thing that many digital video services struggle with.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:30 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
If you expand the search into the 00s, Planetes
Seconding this. One of the few sci-fi anime that I actually enjoyed, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Rather unique in both premise and tone.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:10 AM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

Third-ing Planetes. Best show about Space Janitors.

And having just watched Gunbuster, I can toss a recommendation in for that too, even if space time gives me a headache.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Starts with your heart

Cyber City Oedo fucks, and should be seen by everyone interested in that era of cartoons. A cyborg boxer punches the Terminator to death, a bishonen fights both laser tigers & space vampire, and the dub captures the gleeful idiocy of the whole thing perfectly.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Cyber City Oedo fucks, and should be seen by everyone interested in that era of cartoons. A cyborg boxer punches the Terminator to death, a bishonen fights both laser tigers & space vampire, and the dub captures the gleeful idiocy of the whole thing perfectly.
I must... know... everything.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Start from knowing this.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM
a foaming sea bear

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

adult swim presents: akira
Old 07-14-2018, 06:55 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

someone pointed out on twitter that Aoyama is constantly staring directly into the camera in pretty much every scene where he doesn't have to interact with anyone

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road