The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-19-2018, 08:28 AM
Senhor Member

Another First Class thought: Emma’s diamond form looks so much worse here than in Origins. She just looks like a monochrome Porygon. I prefer other Emma’s (slightly glittery) look.

Last edited by Pizzarino Sbarro; 05-19-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Were X-Force basically just a marketing campaign for social media who get killed off immediately, or do they get some time to do anything?
The marketing is, as far as I can tell, an elaborate setup for a joke, which I think really helps the payoff. I don't know if it would have been as funny if my expectations weren't built up the way they were.

I do feel bad for Michael Allred, who was never made aware that one of his X-Force characters would even be appearing in this movie, but the whole scene is very much in the spirit of how X-Statix is set up. The meta-humor in general got some of the biggest laughs from me.

Last edited by Excitemike; 05-19-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
I liked DP2! It was a sequel with more of the same, and it didn't try to be anything more. I was even able to look past the fridging, because it was played as kind of a red herring - DP wasn't motivated by it (or revenge), but instead he had to emotionally process the loss. That was surprisingly mature for an action movie about dick jokes!
Fridging is about sacrificing a female character solely for the development of the male lead. The setup for her death, their decision to have children followed immediately by her death, just soured me for the rest of the movie. Given how on-point most of the meta-humor was, it could have been addressed. The drastic swings between sarcasm and sincerity is why I mostly dislike the Deadpool comics; these movies are excellent adaptations in that regard.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:59 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
The marketing is, as far as I can tell, an elaborate setup for a joke, which I think really helps the payoff. I don't know if it would have been as funny if my expectations weren't built up the way they were.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Judging by the reviews, their main performance was not in the movie itself but on social media, in order to create a rug that they can yank out from under the audience's feet.

(I don't like Deadpool and can't stand Ryan Reynolds, so I won't be seeing these movies unless they show up on a streaming service and I want to like halfheartedly hatewatch them while doing some menial task.)
Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Space Prez

I think the first is absolutely worth seeing, just as a send-up of superhero movie tropes. The second spends too much time retreading the same material. Cable and Domino I thought were both very well done, and I wouldn't mind an X-Force movie where Deadpool can be contained to a much smaller role. Not a fan of Ryan Reynolds either, but it is a perfect match of character and actor, and that itself is worth a watch.

Last edited by Excitemike; 05-19-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Senhor Member

They made that exact same joke (“ready for this character’s film? Oh ho ho!”) in Feast 3 and I didn’t care it for it there, either! (I do recommend that franchise, though)

I was sad when Zeitgeist immediately died in X-Force, too. In my defense, I was 13.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Senhor Member

Such a bummer to see paramedics hopelessly try to revive Terry, but I chuckled when Peter Parker was like, “I’m but a Spider-Teen! Far too young to die!” in Infinity War. It’s hard for filmmakers to cater to my tastes, I will admit.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I was sad when Zeitgeist immediately died in X-Force, too. In my defense, I was 13.
I was 22 and I felt the same way! It's supposed to be shocking, it was a memorable issue and I appreciated the movie's nod to that. This movie has some fatal flaws, but there were lots of genuinely funny, great moments. There's a very subdued gag in the Xavier institute that is giving me the giggles just thinking about it.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

I feel like the answer is secretly obvious, and I will comically slap my forehead (and possibly exclaim “mamma mia!”) when the answer is revealed but what is SEO/XSEO?

It’s right there in the title and I’m trying to work out what in the world that acronym stands for.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:58 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Xavier's Search Engine Optimization

Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Or maybe X-tra Search Engine Optimization -- for ex-tra power.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I was 22 and I felt the same way! It's supposed to be shocking, it was a memorable issue and I appreciated the movie's nod to that. This movie has some fatal flaws, but there were lots of genuinely funny, great moments. There's a very subdued gag in the Xavier institute that is giving me the giggles just thinking about it.
That was a good joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I feel like the answer is secretly obvious, and I will comically slap my forehead (and possibly exclaim “mamma mia!”) when the answer is revealed but what is SEO/XSEO?

It’s right there in the title and I’m trying to work out what in the world that acronym stands for.
That was a bad one! I’m was just noting my “need” for SEO in the title and then I added an X because XSEO reminds me of XSE. (Xavier’s Security Enforcers)(not referenced in the films)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Senhor Member

Estragon understands.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Mamma Mia!

It was so obvious!
Old 05-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Or maybe X-tra Search Engine Optimization -- for ex-tra power.

Stop being so extra, Xavier.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:02 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
My favorite running joke in the X-Men Movies was sadly dropped after 2; wherein Wolverine automatically assumes he’s the main character and thus every plot point revolves around him.

And Magneto sighs and informs him that, no, he’s not. He’s just some guy thats hanging around.
They really should have done a call back to this in The Last Stand. (Actually, I was surprised that they didn't.)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:06 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

One of many ways in which Last Stand is a disappointment.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Senhor Member

I appreciated Xavier’s absolutely random and inexplicable return at the end of The Wolverine, because it felt very in line with this series’ approach to continuity. But apparently that was set up in TLS. This series in fact has a subtle and coherent narrative.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Xavier's Search Engine Optimization

Shard had like psychic construct pets and/or was a psychic construct, so she was an instant fave when I read one blurb about her in X-Men: The Ultimate Guide. (I have never read a comic she’s in, afaik... my faves are low in value )
Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

My exposure to Shard came from the 90s cartoon, where she inexplicably showed up for a two-parter and acted like she was a regular character everyone knew about. Later in that two parter she died, and it was treated, again, like a Big Deal.

And my reaction was to wonder if I had missed an episode or something.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Shard was one of those characters who was used the most at the all time nadir of the X-Book line. They really tried to make Shard a thing, but it didn't take.

Quote:
Shard had like psychic construct pets and/or was a psychic construct, so she was an instant fave when I read one blurb about her in X-Men: The Ultimate Guide. (I have never read a comic she’s in, afaik... my faves are low in value )
I read those issues. When PAD's X-Factor was running on fumes long after PAD's departure, a Star Trek: Voyager style hologram of Shard joined the team. The hologram, of course, still has her energy whatever powers.

The XSE mini-series was the setup to bring the Shard hologram into the present, so that she could be totally wasted on terrible issues of X-Factor that no one remembers, soon before it was cancelled.

edit: NavelsAreNeat-relevant fact: The XSE mini is also used to make Emplates a thing in the future, so it's vaguely tied into Generation-X, kind of.

Last edited by estragon; 05-19-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

IIRC, that episode that introduced/killed Shard was also an adaptation of Age of Apocalypse.

Except that that episode did not involve, or even mention, ol’ Mister En Sabah Nar
Old 05-19-2018, 03:16 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
IIRC, that episode that introduced/killed Shard was also an adaptation of Age of Apocalypse.

Except that that episode did not involve, or even mention, ol’ Mister En Sabah Nar
Weirdly, that same season also had a 4-5 episode adaptation of that classic X-Men story where Apocalypse kidnaps all the telepaths to something something time travel something something nexus of reality.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM
Senhor Member

I started watching the gag reel for Apocalypse. Nicholas Hoult is acting like a goddamn fool while Jennifer is just reading her lines, insincerely chuckling at this. She finally “breaks” and “laughs” and I feel such sympathy for her. It’s exhausting when a co-worker is wasting your time at a job you hate! She probably thinks she could get out of here earlier if he’d stop! She’s wrong. I’m sorry.

(I understand part of her distaste for doing these is for the make-up, which is understandable because it sounds miserable and it looks dumb in the end)

DoFP is just very well-constructed and works best of everything I’ve watched recently. (still got Apocalypse and Logan) It is a moving film about a lie: that if you just made one decision your life would be radically better. Also it has a proposition that I disagree with: you should eliminate all life on Earth if your enemies are going to win a war. Simon Kinberg has a very mixed record in terms of films he’s written. (of course I’m not sure how much credit/blame he should apportioned for each) I’m curious, but not particularly optimistic about how he’ll handle Dark Phoenix. (for my part, I didn’t really like the DPS or DoFP much when I read them)
Old 05-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Senhor Member

Watching Apocalypse and just remembered someone (estragon?) pointing one great aspect of this franchise: there are like half a dozen hair origin stories herein.

Anyway, Lucas Till is like 40 in this movie. Love it.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Deadpool 2 was the most X-Men movie yet, even it was practically overfilled with jokes. I finally got my Colossus gets the shit beat out of him by Juggernaut fight!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 PM
We just don't know.

I liked Deadpool 2, but the first half was way weaker than the second half.

The scene with X-Force's big debut is where the movie really picked up and went into high gear. The action got better, the jokes got funnier, there was slightly less bullshit (fridging the girlfriend, come the fuck ON), Domino was fantastic. The whole movie needed more Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Their interplay from the first movie was one of the best parts about it, and I think that felt kind of lacking here; his rapport with Cable or Domino didn't really fit the same bill.

Overall it's worth seeing if you liked the first and definitely won't change your mind if you didn't; it suffers the same fate as Iron Man and Deadpool's sequels did, where their novelty was one of their biggest strengths and trying to follow that up with a sequel is always difficult. I think DP2 landed that better than Iron Man 2 did, but probably not as well as GotG2.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Senhor Member

GotG2 was a far better movie to me because its emotional moments were actually credible. Deadpool 2 tried to have it both ways and it didn’t work. I would still rank it above X-Men Origins: Wolverine. (high praise; that movie owns)
Old 05-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Senhor Member

Happy to say I still mostly like X-Men: Apocalypse. I know other people do, but I don’t really have any complaints about Isaac’s Apocalypse? The design isn’t particularly intimidating or glamorous, but the performance is cool and I’m like, “yeah, makes sense he would do that!” That is not say there are stakes. I’m so sure you’re going to kill everyone Apocalypse!!

This movie is 2.5 hours long. Mercifully, there is no extended cut. (that I know of) I didn’t watch the longer The Wolverine or DofP: The Rogue Cut this time. I do think I’ll watch Logan Noir (hmm) because it’s the same movie I saw last year, but with less color. Fantastic.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
GotG2 was a far better movie to me because its emotional moments were actually credible. Deadpool 2 tried to have it both ways and it didn’t work. I would still rank it above X-Men Origins: Wolverine. (high praise; that movie owns)
Yeah, Deadpool 2's humor is nastier, so the parts where it's sincere never land ("Superheroes are ridiculous, but you know what's definitely not? Manpain!"). About the only emotional moment in GotG2 that didn't land was the part where Quill and Ego play catch with an energy ball, and I'm pretty sure we're meant to laugh at it.

Also, Deadpool 2 shows us the next level of LGBT representation in media: openly stated couples who are so minor they can be safely removed for Chinese and Russian theaters.

Tags
berserker barrage , x-men