The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-23-2015, 06:00 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Iron Fist is also getting his own Netflix show, so there's four heroes.
They keep waffling back and forth whether they're still doing Iron Fist or whether they boost Punisher into the space or something.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I thought that the Luke Cage series was going to be Heroes for Hire.

Which really only makes sense, you can't have only half the Punch Bros show up.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I forgot to mention this earlier, but one of my favorite things about JJ is her consistent disregard for locked doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
They keep waffling back and forth whether they're still doing Iron Fist or whether they boost Punisher into the space or something.
I've never been a fan of The Punisher, but maybe they'll do something interesting with him?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:20 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
They just said this week that Iron Fist is definitely up after Luke Cage. Hopefully they stick to that.

I only made it through the first 3 episodes of Jessica Jones this weekend. I'm liking it, but I got really busy and couldn't watch any more.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

I think the Punisher probably works better as a secondary player in someone else's series rather than headlining his own. Fortunately it seems Marvel agrees with me, as that's exactly what they're doing with Daredevil S2.

I've been refraining from posting my thoughts on Jessica Jones until I've finished the series, but I am loving this shit, full-stop. Two episodes left, which will be quickly devoured as soon as I get home from work today.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Brain Genius

Blew through the whole series on Friday and Saturday. This might be my favorite thing in the MCU. I love the noir style, I love JJ, I love Kilgrave*, and I was surprised quite often throughout the show. Really good stuff!

*Similar to what JFink said, I have no idea if it's deliberate or not, but Kilgrave is basically David Tennant's Doctor from Doctor Who, only rapey. Even down to the accent and a lot of the mannerisms. I couldn't help but feel like he made that choice deliberately, and either way I found the character even more unsettling as a result. I'd love it if someone point blank asked him if he were playing the part as "Evil Doctor" lol
Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Sudden chomper

I've watched three episodes now and I'm definitely enjoying the show. They do a good job of making the concept of someone who can control other people sufficiently creepy, the characters are interesting and the writing is generally solid. The only thing I'm not sold on so far is the fact that Jessica seemingly killed Luke's wife - that strikes me as a bit too (in)convenient. I imagine they'll go into detail as the story unfolds, but so far that's my one sticking point.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:36 AM
so exciting!

Is Defenders going to be about the super soldier pills or is that gonna be a hook for Jessica Jones season 2 or Luke Cage?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:46 AM
of the Black Falcons

Defenders is the TV version of The Avengers.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Random Struggler

Doh! I forgot about poor fist of ironing. I can't wait for that! Luke Cage...I liked him well enough in this but I'm pretty luke warm (TEEHEE) on the idea of having a whole season of him now that he's been introduced. Granted, we haven't nearly seen the extent of his power or even what he can put up with, but they'll have to have a pretty damn good hook to get me as interested as I was in this. On the other hand...I'm glad they introduced him already and got the boring stuff of his life out of the way because I sure as shit am not going to be interested in a super hero who tends bar and occasionally gets into trouble. XD

The Defenders? That's the name of the team-up of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Daredevil. I'm sure it'll cover a wide array of problems and I'm sure that will pop up but I really can't see it being apart of the main antagonistic aspect. At least I hope so. As far as villainy goes...that's pretty bottom of the barrel. I mean, I absolutely expect it to return in JJ S2, maybe Luke Cage, as you said...but beyond that, I don't think it'd stand a fleeting chance against a team. I hope it isn't a big part (or even at all) of The Defenders. Once you have that many badasses working together...it's hopefully going to take a lot more than some angry, powered up muscle-head humans to even make them break a sweat.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 AM
so exciting!

i know what it is, i was asking if a subplot that cropped up in jessica jones but never resolved was going to be part of the defenders storyline or if it was for the luke cage storyline or if it was something they're gonna handle in jessica jones season 2
Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 AM
of the Black Falcons

Oh, I gotcha. It seems like that plot thread is leading somewhere. It could also be related to The Punisher in Daredevil Season 2.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Random Struggler

I'd be super surprised if it was anything more than a tiny sub-plot in JSS S2. I mean, even Jessica had mentioned that she could kick the shit out of what's-his-face-roid-rage if she wasn't injured, and her bestie even gave him a pretty good beating...let alone Cage, who would probably just break him in half. They didn't even feel the need to resolve what happened to roid-rage before the season ended so clearly they don't deem it all that important. On that same note it's also a good indication it'll at least be mentioned in passing in S2.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Rawrther.

I think the company behind it will be a big plot point since it's connected to her origin.

Also, God I loved David Tennant in this.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:36 PM
i musnt run away

I watched the second episode today, and within 2 minutes Lester Freamon was on screen and you can't tell me it wasn't him!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:18 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
The last scene of the first episode completely traumatized my girlfriend. Don't think she'll be watching any more of this with me.
Hey, me too! (Well, wife, but whatever)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Mercifully I had the good sense to watch it in advance, but I suspect the wife's going to be quite happy sticking with Supergirl as her female hero of choice.

Very pleased that they seem to have de-Bendis'd the dialogue.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Mercifully I had the good sense to watch it in advance, but I suspect the wife's going to be quite happy sticking with Supergirl as her female hero of choice.
For some reason, I thought this series was going to be less intense than Daredevil?

My fault for not properly doing my research.

My wife couldn't stand the first episode of Supergirl (and I wasn't that into it either), so I guess we can give episode 2 a shot but once she's predisposed herself to dislike something it's pretty much done.

At least this show she was into until the final act.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:54 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Nah, this show was a Marvel Mature Readers (MAX at the time? Can't remember) series from the beginning, whereas Daredevil's always hopped back and forth.

(Sadly, we're very unlikely to get an adaptation of the Waid run on Daredevil. Which would be hilarious if only because it would effectively troll a giant chunk of the show's audience.)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Senhor Member

I was expecting this to be a little funnier (if not more light-hearted) than it was, because of how I (mis?)remembered the comic. It's been a long time since I read Alias, though. At any rate, I still enjoyed this quite a lot! Its biggest flaw is that Kilgrave was neutralized too early and in too many different ways by the end that it became kind of silly that he kept escaping.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:25 PM
whatever it takes

Finished this last night. Phenomenal stuff, even if there were a few bumps along the way. I hardly know where to begin in discussing it.

Though she occasionally gives an odd line reading, Krysten Ritter immediately pulled me in as Jessica. Before the first episode is even out you have a full sense of the lonely, nightmare-riddled, alcoholic sleepwalk that has been her life since escaping Kilgrave. I'm a sucker for plots where anyone could be an enemy agent in disguise, so the total paranoia of not knowing who's been Kilgrave'd was riveting to me. Also glad that the show kept her PI work a constant element, as opposed to Daredevil which seemed to lose interest in Matt's lawyering pretty quickly and foisted that stuff off on Foggy and Karen.

As has been pointed out upthread, David Tennant was definitely channeling the Tenth Doctor's accent and mannerisms as Kilgrave, which has a terrifically unsettling dissonant effect. I had to pause the episode for a minute to take a breath when he did a pitch-perfect "Well~!" in the scene where he's explaining to Jessica that he's arranged for Hope's release.

I'm glad they chose not to use an audio or visual effect for Kilgrave's powers, as the bare simplicity of it makes it even scarier: he just has to say a thing and it happens. However, every attempt to explain or expound upon their nature just made for a bigger mess. Jessica already knows that a microphone can't carry his influence, which fits the "virus" explanation later on, silly as it is. But then Kilgrave gets his powers upgraded, and suddenly he's able to broadcast the "virus" through the hospital's PA system? And Jessica was able to break (and become permanently immune to) his control because of her horror at killing Reva? These things can't all be true. If they'd dropped the virus element and just said it's telepathic mind control that doesn't work through a microphone, it'd all make sense. And the vaccine subplot never went anywhere, so nothing would be lost. (In fact, everything fits if you assume that Kilgrave's parents only think they know how his powers work but are mistaken; this also explains why the vaccine was a bust.)

Luke Cage is one fine-looking man. I loved his chemistry with Jessica, and the show wisely used him sparingly enough that I'm excited to see more of him when his series rolls around. Not super clear on how his powers work, though -- his skin is unbreakable, but he's also not even singed after being on fire after the bar explosion. So is his skin just invulnerable? Does he feel pain in his deep tissue from impacts that do no real damage, like punches?

Did Will Simpson strike anyone else as a poor man's Steve Rogers? It's the hair, I think -- that and his red, white and blue pill theme, though I guess that's straight from the comics. What's that you say? The hypermasculine shitbag who beats up on women is really into red pills? Weird!

Detective Clemons didn't get a ton of development, but goddamn are older black men having a rough time of it in these Netflix shows. That's a trend that can stop at two, thanks.

Ruben and Robyn felt like refugees from a different show. I get that they're supposed to be the comic relief (and a show this dark needs a bit of that), but 1) they weren't funny and 2) they were written as such broad cartoonish weirdos that they always took me out of the scene. Even when Robyn is mourning her brother she's written and played as such a Rick Moranis-level space cadet that she's impossible to take seriously.

Random thoughts:

I can't stop listening to the opening theme and Thousand Eyes.

Loved the wealth of feminist and LGBT elements in this, and inversions of usual genre gender roles. It's kind of a shame that the MCU's first superpowered female lead has a backstory that is all about rape and victimization, but the show handles this and similarly difficult themes with care and maturity.

Why the specific need for surgical anesthesia? Wouldn't anything that knocks Kilgrave unconscious be sufficient to stop him from issuing commands?

Why does Jessica think that people get put into supermax prison upon arrest rather than after sentencing?

Wasn't buying the extreme convenience with which Kilgrave's parents were located. They spent their entire lives fleeing in terror from their son, but then specifically came to NYC and spent several weeks there "to make sure" it was him? Lazy writing.

What was up with the phone scene at the hospital? Kilgrave calls the nurses' station from the security office, then Jessica leaves the phone off the hook and walks away while he's monologuing, but she somehow also has the call on her cell phone?

While the show is light on references to the wider MCU (and that's fine, it doesn't need them), I like that the battle at the end of The Avengers has remained a touchstone for New Yorkers in this and Daredevil. I think that's important to maintain. Hopefully the other Defenders series keep this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Is Defenders going to be about the super soldier pills or is that gonna be a hook for Jessica Jones season 2 or Luke Cage?
Seems like each of the Netflix series is leaving story hooks to be picked up later. Daredevil had Stick's master(?) and Black Sky, and Jessica Jones adds IGH and the other children that were experimented on. It doesn't stretch credulity that some of those elements might be connected: IGH could be responsible for the experimentation as part of "Project Black Sky" or something, and Stick is part of the movement to stop them.

I wonder when Luke Cage's series is going to be set? Krysten Ritter hasn't been announced as part of the cast (which suggests that she might have a cameo but is probably not a major player), but Rosario Dawson is back as Claire, and this was clearly her first time meeting Luke. Maybe it jumps back and forth between before and after Jessica Jones. Either way, I'm jonesin'!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:08 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
However, every attempt to explain or expound upon their nature just made for a bigger mess.
I agree with all of this. Particularly the bit about Jessica becoming immune to his influence, which, I mean, it would have been fine on it's own, but his whole thing is making people do awful things and it's hard to believe that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:42 PM

Watched the first episode. Interesting premise, but honestly? Not very impressed. I should probably get my flame shield ready. I'm sure I'll watch a bit more, but it's waaaay too sleazy for my tastes.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:54 PM
Random Struggler

It is absolutely SO much sleazier than I expected. But then again I'm a raging degenerate and a pathetic excuse for a human being and I love myself long time sooo... I kind of didn't care about that part. Still surprised nonetheless, especially given Marvel's attachment; but that is becoming less and less of an excuse to use when regarding the 'adult' in their shows as it is becoming increasingly more common. I think it's a good thing, personally (given they don't take it too far or make it a gimmick). Every now and again I unconsciously rolled my eyes and said 'really?', but more often than not the sleaziness is justified for the characters in their circumstance, personality, and situation. Mostly I think it's a reflection of the city, which is at this point a character in itself. It's one horrible, nasty, downtrodden city they're in and they're both saviors and apart of the problem all at once. I think Murdock is probably the only pure one right now and I doubt the upcoming heroes will change that statistic. It'll be an interesting team-up, that's for sure!

I digress. Sleazy it is. But not without merit (most of the time). However if you don't like it, ya don't like it! No reasoning can change that.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:52 PM
of the Black Falcons

I assumed that Jessica became immune because he used it on her for so long & so often that she developed antibodies or whatever. The timing was just coincidence.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Family Man

The first episode was a snoozefest. There better better be an equivalent to the one take hallway fight in episode two or I'm walking.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:11 AM

This is similar to Daredevil for me: The whole season is released at once, so I watch it kinda quickly (2-3 episodes/day, depending on how free I am). It's pretty mindless and uninteresting, but once you're like 2/3 through the season, it really picks up and gets involving and exciting. They need to pace this shit better.

I just finished episode 8, I believe. The last bits were Jessica KOing Kilgrave, and leaping off in the night sky with his unconscious body while officer Simpson and his bros got blown up by the lady next door.

A little irked that they are, of course, building towards a Defenders series that will probably be full of in-jokes and references you only get if you watched all 4 of the other series first. But I really like the basic character concept of Jessica Jones and the story by itself.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

hell of obscure reference in episode six: Jessica says of the loan shark, "Asshole thinks he's Carl Icahn."

(Carl Icahn was one of the corporate raiders fighting over control of Marvel back in the middle 90s.)
Old 11-26-2015, 07:58 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
hell of obscure reference in episode six: Jessica says of the loan shark, "Asshole thinks he's Carl Icahn."

(Carl Icahn was one of the corporate raiders fighting over control of Marvel back in the middle 90s.)
Oh so that's what that meant.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Starts with your heart

This is a bleak fucking series. I came here to get my Luke Cage on, not watch an entire family get shot in the brisket

Tags
jejo's bizarre adventure , jessicaaaaa! , marvel cinematic universe