The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Clancy Brown has the size, the screen presence, the craggy face, and the voice.
But he's already Lex Luthor...
Old 03-20-2018, 07:01 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
But he's already Lex Luthor...
Well, we never did find out what happened to Darkseid and Luthor at the end of Justice League Unlimited...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

That's a really good point.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Via The AV Club

The Justice League Blu-ray is a bizarre exercise in hiding the truth about moviemaking

Quote:
...the studio has chosen to sweep the entire production of the film under the rug, leading to a collection of bonus content for the home-video release that is little more than hollow blandishments trying to ignore the fact that anything untoward might have taken place. To watch these featurettes is to enter a sanitized alternate reality in which Zack Snyder made a movie, and everything is fine. The big tease on the cover is a bonus scene, which turns out to be barely 20 seconds of Superman meeting Batman’s butler, Alfred. Instead, we mostly get perfunctory nonsense. There are “scene studies”—essentially promotional shorts giving a closer look at several set pieces from the film. There’s a brief spot showcasing the villain, Steppenwolf, played by Ciarán Hinds. We get a quick look at the costumes; several minutes spent cooing over the fancy technology employed by the characters; a brief history/introduction of the characters; and so on. Each one is usually punctuated by a quick shot of Snyder on set, and a talking head referencing the director’s vision for whatever aspect of the film the current featurette highlights.

To watch these is to get the impression of someone tap-dancing to distract you from a car wreck—there’s a vague air of fakery to the whole thing, though it’s impossible to say how much of that impression comes from forehand knowledge of what went down.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 PM

That impression is probably not wrong, but it’s also misleading to portray it as anything special for a movie to be doing. Almost all dvd extras these days are incredibly bland, milquetoast, and carefully considered productions designed to say nothing bad about a movie and to puff it up. Long gone are the days where Ben Afleck can record commentary tracks unhinged and possibly drunk.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:45 PM
This Guy

Does any movie with a troubled production come with DVD extras highlighting that troubled production? New releases; I could see something like Superman 2 or Spartacus getting the "isn't it amazing we got a good movie out of this behind the scenes mess" treatment, but no one highlights that on a new release.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:39 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

The extras for The Battle of the Five Armies were refreshingly candid about the struggles making that movie. Nobody calls it a disaster or shits on anybody else, but they talk honestly about how turning it into three movies stretched things thin and they spent a lot of time not sure what the hell they were doing.

EDIT: I agree it's not surprising that the Justice League extras aren't completely revealing, but it's weird that they don't even mention Zack didn't finish the movie.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The extras for The Battle of the Five Armies were refreshingly candid about the struggles making that movie.
I thought you mean people who were extras in the movie...

I swear English is actually my first language!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Find Your Reason

I demand that every film release on home video from now on has the extras' commentary on the extras.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The extras for The Battle of the Five Armies were refreshingly candid about the struggles making that movie. Nobody calls it a disaster or shits on anybody else, but they talk honestly about how turning it into three movies stretched things thin and they spent a lot of time not sure what the hell they were doing.
I still want to know why the orcs had Nydus worms.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:57 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Bilbo mentioned were-worms in an offhand comment in the book, and since each sentence had to be stretched into a 3 minute segment in order to make 3 movies they put em in.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM
till the sheriff stops by

I think I am very down with the look of the Captain Marvel costume for the Shazam movie.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM
This Guy

It looks like a kid's idea of a superhero, which means they understand Shazam! on at least some level.

I read somebody mocking it for the generic cola, but it seems extremely on point to me. Billy Batson can't afford that name brand stuff.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:37 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Maybe Billy can save a little money and we'll get the first DCEU of Soder Cola. FINALLY!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:40 PM
This Guy

I could swear there was sign for Soder Cola in the background of one of the movies. At the start of Justice League with Batman on the roof?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Half-Ninja

I didn't realize that was soda at first and thought that Billy had turned into Captain Marvel all so that he could buy beer.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I didn't realize that was soda at first and thought that Billy had turned into Captain Marvel all so that he could buy beer.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

The only part that makes me go “ehhhhh” is that this still points to the New 52 Captain Marvel origin. Which I wasn’t a fan of. Specifically the issue where Billy, under the influence of his foster brother Freddy, asks for $10 from a lady after saving her from some muggers. (The money gets spent on junk at a convenience store.)

Reimagining Billy Batson as a moody self centered grump was a big misstep on DC’s part. It was just not a good look for the kid. To see the movie go in this direction too would just be a bad idea.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixo View Post
Reimagining Billy Batson as a moody self centered grump was a big misstep on DC’s part. It was just not a good look for the kid. To see the movie go in this direction too would just be a bad idea.
I absolutely detest the "horny 12yo" version of Captain Marvel from Justice League: WAR. The whole point of his character is that he out-Boy-Scouts Superman himself, he's so idealistic and good-natured. Turn Billy into a moody, sullen teen, and Captain Marvel is no different from any number of 90s anti-heroes.

However, the film looks colorful and the same scene is framed very differently from the comic. They're both grinning, they're enjoying a Soder Pop right there in the open daylight instead of lurking in an alley, it's bright and colorful and fun. It even ditched the long, hooded robe for the classic handkerchief cape! So looks like they do know what makes the Big Red Cheese tick and are just going broad-strokes with the N52 version of his origin.

Face him off against Mr. Mind (original version, not the... one Booster Gold met) and we're golden.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 PM
This Guy

Sometimes I wonder if people only read like the first ten pages of that story. I wouldn't call it the best Captain Marvel/Shazam story by a long shot, but I thought that New 52 version worked really well. Billy there was a pretty believable teen/preteen foster kid. He was a good-hearted kid with a veneer of cynicism due to what he had faced in his life. Johns doesn't do subtly and Gary Frank's faces always look a little like they are sneering, so the start with Billy rejecting his new foster family is a little much, but pretty much immediately thereafter it starts showing his innate goodness. His spelling it out for the wizard is completely on point. The wizard can't find a purely good person because such a person doesn't exist. Billy's not wrong when he says that. So instead he chooses Billy, who tries to do the right thing. Him starting as a perfect boy scout does not make for an interesting character, Billy being an average kid who tries to do the right thing is. There is that element of innocence to him and the New 52 origin doesn't do away with that. Once he kind of knows what he is up against with Black Adam his first instinct is to befriend him, he sees Black Adam as a hurt kid just like him and he gives him what he wants most; a friend.

What that story did mess up was Dr. Sivana, but seeing as how I don't think they are using Black Adam in the movie, as that The Rock Black Adam movie is still in the works and I don't think the Rock is in this, they are going to have to do something else for the villains anyway.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 PM

Yeah, that N52 Billy origin story was pretty good.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

One thing we can all agree on: No Tawny, no sale.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM
This Guy

New 52 Tawny is essentially He-Man's Battlecat. It is undeniably a downgrade, but I can't decide if it is still acceptable.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
New 52 Tawny is essentially He-Man's Battlecat. It is undeniably a downgrade, but I can't decide if it is still acceptable.
Does that mean he's a meek, cowardly businesstiger who becomes a giant, armored barbarian sabertooth tiger when Billy shouts "Shazam!"?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Goodbye!

GUYS!

GUYS!

THIS IS INCREDIBLE.

"Fuck Batman."

THEY'VE OUT SUICIDE SQUAD-ED SUICIDE SQUAD.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I just love when I can't tell who the villain is in a superhero movie trailer~

I'm assuming it was the one in a bird cloak I didn't immediately recognize, if there is a villain at all....
Old 07-19-2018, 02:41 PM
We just don't know.

This looks like CollegeHumor made a parody of the idea of a gritty Teen Titans reboot.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Find Your Reason

"Fuck Batman."

*cut to Garth doing a Kelsey-Grammer-as-Beast pounce across rooftops*

Fantastic. Is this direct-to-video? Because we need to invent a category for movies that don't merit even that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I just love when I can't tell who the villain is in a superhero movie trailer~

I'm assuming it was the one in a bird cloak I didn't immediately recognize, if there is a villain at all....
I think bird-cloak is Dove.

I don't think she's the villain, but it would be astonishingly appropriate considering she's diametrically opposed to everything the DC Movie Universe stands for.

Also, Batarangs Birdarangs Robinarangs? I'm laughing harder at Robin's cute little sharpened metal Rs than at how awkward and edgy the guy playing him looks in an ordinary domino mask.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:11 PM

1) The bird cloak is Hawk &/or Dove. They're in this as Titans. I don't like Hawk & Dove, but they'll fit the team fine. Esp when Warner Bros probably told the show they couldn't use Cyborg or Cassie or Kon El b/c brand confusion. NuBlue Beetle would have been a better get IMO. So would have bringing in an Artemis, but that's neither here nor there.

2) This isn't for a movie. This is for a Titans TV show. I highly doubt this is going to be connected to the movies either, but would love to be wrong.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Find Your Reason

Default Rated R for Robin

Huh. There's a call to "preorder" at the end of the trailer, so I assumed DtV. But apparently WB is launching a "DC Universe" streaming service, kinda like CBS Access?

I'm far past getting upset at Edgelord DC and I'm just laughing at all the reactions this trailer is getting. Lookit Robin here

Tags
*wonder woman riff* , badman v. subparman , batman very superman , chortle at joker's boner , comics , detective comics , dreary crap , fourth world problems , fuck batman , ice to see you , like batman but , swear to me , tales from the krypton , waiting for gadot , why did you say that name