The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-26-2018, 01:26 AM

I watched this movie tonight. Incredibles 1 is easily a top3 Pixar movie. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I quite enjoyed it, even if it was a bit very predictable. The family dynamic is always gravy, and I like superhero business. I'm a little disappointed that this film takes place almost immediately after the first one. It would have been more fun had the film explored a different stage of this family's life, in the way the Toy Story movies explore different stages of a kid growing up. But oh well. Maybe next time. I also kind of heard how old the voice actors were getting, and I was getting anime deja vu.

Also, the bao short in the beginning was disturbing.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 PM
King Of Space-Time

Polygon has an excellent article that gave some much needed cultural reference.

The polarized reactions to Pixar’s ‘Bao’ are rooted in culture
Old 07-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Find Your Reason

Wait, people didn't get Bao? o_O I thought the allegory was pretty damn universal.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

i loved incredibles 2 as much as i hated incredibles 1. and i consider the first to be utter garbage, having now seen it dozens of times with my son in the past month. Syndrome was right, just as the villain in 2 is right. but the fact that 2 basically pulled a metal gear solid 2 on us and turned into a Mrs. Inc film, with a hilarious family comedy backdrop, i'm totally on board.

also Bao is the most genuine real to life thing pixar has ever done for diaspora kids since Sanjay's Super Team, which is literally a biographical film of my life.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 PM
King Of Space-Time

Damn, the Incredibile got some serious screen time.
Also Elastigirl going to town on her bike was sight and a half.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Wait, people didn't get Bao? o_O I thought the allegory was pretty damn universal.
White Americans are more likely to have their parents shove them out of the house prematurely rather than struggle against being cloistered.

White Americans also, very frequently, have very little imagination or empathy for Others.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:54 AM

My theatre really seemed to appreciate it. Maybe seeing the CN Tower gave us the connection we needed
Old 07-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

I just watched Coco yesterday, making me glad (for the first time in a long time, honestly) that I have Netflix. I'm sure everything that needed to be said about this film already has been here, but one detail which I hope didn't escape notice is that the land of the dead was full of both dead people and dead technology. For instance, one of the office workers keys in data on a Macintosh from the 1980s, complete with the rainbow Apple logo.

Tags
animation , cgi , frida kahlo , oh shit el santo , pixar , rise from your grave!