The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
There are many many times during Solo where they do the Disney Star Wars thing of taking innocuous, filler, one liners from the old movies and then extrapolate entire scenarios around explaining them.
That's not a "Disney Star Wars thing". That's been happening since the first EU material was published.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 PM
This Guy

So I watched The Cloverfield Paradox. I feel its badness has been kind of overstated. I mean, its a bad movie, but some parts of it are actually good. Like the alternate reality premise is really good, even if the movie mostly fails to take advantage of it. Also, the cast is full of fun people; I like Daniel Bruhl and Chris O'Dowd, plus Elizabeth Debicki is really good, and maybe a space alien (she is very attractive, also she has a long neck and always seems otherworldly).

But damn, the plot is a whole lot of nonsense and the connections to Cloverfield are just so forced and out of place. Why does it keep cutting back to the protagonists husband for a plotline that only adds to the runtime? The movie spends a lot of time kind of explaining the premise, why couldn't it explain why most of the weird shit happened? I mean, I get why they found Debicki in the wall, but why did literally any of the other stuff happen? Maybe you could have had time for that, as well as maybe some character development, if we spent less time on Earth. The more I think about it, the badness of this movie has not been overstated. Why isn't this movie better?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 AM

Because the Cloverfield "franchise" is about taking scripts that don't have the legs to attract and audience getting hasty rewrites to pretend to maybe be sequels to a lackluster kaiju movie?

The real question is why did 10 Cloverfield Lane get dragged into that mess, because that one's an actual very good movie.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:06 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Pronouns: he/him

The best part is when the ship eats Chris O'Dowd's arm and then the arm reappears moving on its own and it has secret knowledge it is able to write down for the crew.

It is maybe the most nonsensical thing I've ever seen in a movie.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
There are many many times during Solo where they do the Disney Star Wars thing of taking innocuous, filler, one liners from the old movies and then extrapolate entire scenarios around explaining them. Did you ever wonder why Han Solo has a pair of dice hanging from his cockpit? No? The explanation is like the emotional core of the whole movie! Did you ever wonder how the Millennium Falcon did the Bessel Run in 5 parsecs? Or what a Bessel Run even is or why it's measured in parsecs? No? It's an entire third of the film! I am certain that orienting your film around stuff like this greatly pleases a certain type of fan. But meanwhile I'm just kinda rolling my eyes and wishing this movie did more to kind of be its own thing/tell its own story and spark the old imagination instead of coming up with some of the most boring answers to questions nobody asked.
This was the most annoying thing about the movie by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
That's not a "Disney Star Wars thing". That's been happening since the first EU material was published.
It was extremely annoying back then, too.

In fact, the extent to which Solo feels like an old EU throwaway novel is probably one of the biggest reasons why it's not very good.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Hmm, so let's say that R1 was the equivalent of the first old EU novels in that it was both fun and used the existing setting to build out a bit, and then Solo was one of the endless bad 90's standalone novel. That means we're due for something along the lines of the Jedi Academy trilogy isn't it? Shit.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:06 AM

Ant-Man and The Wasp might be... my favorite Marvel movie??? By merit of the fact that it's basically not a Marvel movie???? It's just kinda nice when a "superhero movie" doesn't really have superheroes or big dumb boring villains or some macguffin that will blow up the world, and it's just kinda... funny characters doing goofy shit and getting into escapades. The fight scenes were also probably some of the better superhero movie fights, if only because they do the thing I've been begging Hollywood films to do for 30 years - heavily incorporate your environment into your fight choreography like a Jackie Chan film.

Bless MoviePass. I wouldn't have paid money to see this film, and I still didn't but I'm glad I went. Also, fuck MoviePass's new impacted pricing nonsense. (It won't apply to my account for another half a year, but it's still dumb.)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM

Sorry To Bother You is the best film. What a fuckin' ride. Absolutely amazing from beginning to end. Lakeith Stanfield is going places in this world. I really don't want to spoil anything for all of you guys, but it's something y'all gotta go out of your way and watch asap. (And you'll probably have to go out of your way; my local theater wasn't showing it and I had to travel.) Easily the best movie I've seen this year.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Why doesn't It kill the Losers Club
Old 07-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

It was trying to, they’re just the only ones to ever figure out how It operates and learned how to fight back.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

I don't see how It was trying, at least in the recent movie. It killed Georgie and Patrick immediately the first time they encountered him. For the other kids, It scared them and then just kind of let them run away before they started fighting back.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I don't see how It was trying, at least in the recent movie. It killed Georgie and Patrick immediately the first time they encountered him. For the other kids, It scared them and then just kind of let them run away before they started fighting back.
It's been forever since I read the book, but if I recall the entity called It/Pennywise prefers to scare his meals as thoroughly as possible when given the chance. I don't remember the exact quote but something along the lines of "sustained fear is what spices the meat".

The film version seems to be similar in that It would prefer to completely terrify the children before devouring them if given the chance; but he underestimates The Losers Club resourcefulness. I guess maybe he's not too picky when he's really hungry? Or he didn't think Georgie and Patrick's taste would 'improve'? It's kind of hard to ascribe motivation to a horror villain who is intended to be very alien and unknowable by design.

But if your asking for why movie/book doesn't just have It kill everyone easily...I guess it comes down to that wouldn't make for a very entertaining novel/film? It's the same reason protagonists act stupid in most horror movies. If either heroes or villains perform their roles flawlessly there won't be much in the way of conflict, which is what drives these types of stories. I guess you can go full trope meta like Cabin in the Woods and still make something entertaining, but it isn't done well very often.

Narratively, I assume the deaths are primarily meant to show that no one is safe from 'It' not even the most innocent (Georgie) or those already on the side of 'evil' (Patrick).
Old 07-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

I get that you can't just have the monster kill the main characters immediately if you want to have a story. I just thought the movie did an especially bad job of justifying their survival. Usually horror movies limit the antagonist in some way, or something happens that allows the victims to escape. In It, the kids are isolated, Pennywise scares them, and then they just kind of leave.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
In It, the kids are isolated, Pennywise scares them, and then they just kind of leave.
I'm trying to remember the bits form the book from It's perspective, again it's been a long time... IIRC It thinks humans are far beneath it and as a result doesn't really consider them a threat... well, until the Losers Club do actually manages to hurt it enough that it decides to go to sleep a bit earlier than planned. Though I recall It eventually discerns correctly that its initial defeat was at least partially due to the intervention of an opposing cosmic force on the children's behalf; something which the movie doesn't explore.

I guess you can say maybe It enjoys playing with its food? Like a cat might do with a small bird or rodent it has cornered? It enjoys scaring and eating children as their fears tend to be 'simpler' and thus easier to exploit.

The movie doesn't ever shift to It's perspective, so the motivations about why it sometimes chooses not to kill even when it has ample opportunity at times is never explored. But even with the additional information provided by the book the reasoning seems to mainly be that It just enjoys scaring humans and sowing discord rather than just outright killing them.

I will concede that there are a number of times in both the film and book where It has a victim cornered, scared and isolated and yet chooses to release rather than devour. I also don't recall the book offering anything substantial explaining why it sometimes kills and other times doesn't; beyond the previous bit about fear acting as a spice. The film also doesn't really explore the whole 'ancient cosmic entity that crashed to earth' like the book (maybe Part 2 will at least hint at it), but I think it does a decent job showing that It is something otherworldly and alien.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM
boku girl

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but don't those scenes always end with the kids running into an area with adults around? Pennywise tends to avoid adults because the things they're afraid of tend to be more abstract and harder to give physical form.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Jingle Machine

Pennywise seemed to be stronger when kids were around, I thought.

Or at least he made it so that the parents did not care that there were terrified/injured children around and worked towards convincing children to ignore It.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:49 PM
Jingle Machine

It falling well short of the original is in no way an indictment of Men in Black 3, seeing as how the first movie is one of my all-time favourites, but it does. Id say its criminally underrated, on the whole, if only by the strength of its cast. Josh Brolin nails young Tommy Lee Jones so well I suspect he may be a Looper, and any excuse to see Jermaine Clement to start chewing scenery is an excuse worth pursuing.

Kind of get the feeling that the movie has a much smaller budget compared to the rest of the series, despite the cast, but that actually winds up working pretty well for the plot. Aliens and crazy space tech looking like guys in rubber masks and costumes in the 1960s as opposed CG monsters works extremely well in a meta way.

Biggest complaint with the movie is that the front half has some weird ass pacing; quite a few important scenes felt extremely rushed, and then there's an extended shootout in a Chinese restaurant that serves no discernible explanation except to pad out the runtime a bit.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Senhor Member

Skyscraper is a perfect 2-star movie. I give it 3.5 stars.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Sorry To Bother You is the best film. What a fuckin' ride. Absolutely amazing from beginning to end. Lakeith Stanfield is going places in this world. I really don't want to spoil anything for all of you guys, but it's something y'all gotta go out of your way and watch asap. (And you'll probably have to go out of your way; my local theater wasn't showing it and I had to travel.) Easily the best movie I've seen this year.
Yeah, holy shit Sorry to Bother You is great.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Senhor Member

With that and Ant-Man and the Wasp, July is truly the month of cinematic references to tardigrades.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:33 PM
whatever it takes

It's about time they got some recognition, the poor little darlings.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Didn't you hear they're the new magic science animal? Nanomachines are old hat, good sir.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Yeah, holy shit Sorry to Bother You is great.
People need to get on this one ASAP. It’s probably not gonna stay in your local theater beyond this week.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM
This Guy

I hate to be the guy who praises the white dude in a movie with a primarily black cast, but I also want a gif of Armie Hammer snorting a 3 foot line of coke. Did you know that Armie Hammer is actually great?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
In fact, the extent to which Solo feels like an old EU throwaway novel is probably one of the biggest reasons why it's not very good.
It was one of the reasons I liked it; I loved those novels 8) It hits a lot of the same points as the Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin

We saw Won't You Be My Neighbor? tonight. It was life affirming and humbling and inspiring.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I hate to be the guy who praises the white dude in a movie with a primarily black cast, but I also want a gif of Armie Hammer snorting a 3 foot line of coke. Did you know that Armie Hammer is actually great?
Honestly he was whatever for me. He played a young Elon Musk very well, but he was the least interesting thing happening in that movie. The rest of the main cast absolutely killed it.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Quote:
Did you know that Armie Hammer is actually great?
Yes, why wouldn't he be
Old 07-18-2018, 08:44 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I watched Meet Me in St. Louis. Wow, do those folks ever like St. Louis! Things I really liked: the 5 year old is surprisingly hilarious considering this was made in the 1940's. The dad is the perfect villain for a cheesy, feel-good musical. Judy Garland is extremely charming. The movie has some long shots that are really well done. There's not much to the story, but it's fun enough for a couple of hours.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Saw Three Identical Strangers this past week. It's a documentary that hinges on the lives of a set of triplets who were separated at birth by an adoption agency, then given to three different families in Long Island with no knowledge of the other siblings. The men all met each other at age 19 (in 1980) and became a brief news sensation.

The film goes on to explore why this separation happened, which is disturbing and fascinating in its own right, but I enjoyed more the exploration of how these men's lives had been affected by the separation and reunion.

Well worth a watch.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Goodbye!

Upgrade was a ton of fun - a tight, dirty thrill ride with a low budget, an intriguing premise and some really creative approaches to making every dollar count.

It viscerally reminded me of renting movies from Blockbuster in the early 00s, and deserves to stand on the shelf besides other "fun-but-flawed" classics like Equilibrium, Dark City and Gattaca. I saw it last night and by the time I got home I was starting to see the plot holes, but the ride was so much fun I didn't mind at all. Highly recommended if you love b-movies.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road