The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 03-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Slammaster

Hey, I hope you like PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING and the NINTENDO 64!

Because if you do, man, this video is for YOU.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Slammaster

I still hope you like PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING and the NINTENDO 64, because this video also has those things. And it has me in a pink feather boa. Again.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 PM
Little Waves

I never played Wolverine: Adamantium Rage, but I was fascinated by the concept of a time limit characterized by an unstoppable robot stalker, and it turns out the character in the comics is kind of amazing.

I never got into wrestling games, either, but I appreciate these retrospectives since the history behind them is interesting stuff. And Joey Pink is always a sight for sore eyes.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:35 AM
..and his little cat, too

Great ep! Told the wife how this was the first wrestling game I remember following closely and purchasing, and how for what I think is the first time, I went with the non-Nintendo version of a game.

I loved Warzone when it came out, and loved Attitude even more -- hope you cover that sometime! I still prefer their way of handing gameplay versus what we have in the WWE 2K series now, and wish it would come back. Just felt so much more precise to me.

Incidentally, I never got to try the ECW game after all the rights were juggled around. Was that any good? I seem to recall hearing bad things.

I'd love to see something about In Your House as well. WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game was the first wrestling game I really got into, so that one had my interest, but...
Old 04-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I never played Wolverine: Adamantium Rage, but I was fascinated by the concept of a time limit characterized by an unstoppable robot stalker, and it turns out the character in the comics is kind of amazing.

I never got into wrestling games, either, but I appreciate these retrospectives since the history behind them is interesting stuff. And Joey Pink is always a sight for sore eyes.
Your words are too kind. And you lucked out by missing Adamantium Rage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Great ep! Told the wife how this was the first wrestling game I remember following closely and purchasing, and how for what I think is the first time, I went with the non-Nintendo version of a game.

I loved Warzone when it came out, and loved Attitude even more -- hope you cover that sometime! I still prefer their way of handing gameplay versus what we have in the WWE 2K series now, and wish it would come back. Just felt so much more precise to me.

Incidentally, I never got to try the ECW game after all the rights were juggled around. Was that any good? I seem to recall hearing bad things.

I'd love to see something about In Your House as well. WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game was the first wrestling game I really got into, so that one had my interest, but...
I don't know that I'll cover IYH any time soon. There's not a ton to say and the versions are pretty much identical. I probably will do Attitude eventually, yeah. As for the ECW games. The first one (Hardcore Revolution?) is... ok? Not terrible. The second one (Anarchy Rulz) didn't come to N64, but on the PS1 and Dreamcast it's basically an incomplete game. It's incredibly buggy and wonky.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Slammaster

I did a thing that I'm sure Kishi will enjoy.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post

I did a thing that I'm sure Kishi will enjoy.
And he did it for my birthday!

(not really but Patrons got to see it on the 17th and that was my birthday so...)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Little Waves

As predicted, I enjoyed.

Gradius III feels like the result of an arms race between Konami and high-level shmup players, intended to give even the most storied veterans a run for their money. The downside to that is the rest of us got left out in the cold. The Japanese ROM set offers a "Beginner Course" that lowers the difficulty, but it ends after just three stages. Ten years went by before Konami made a Gradius IV, which is probably attributable to the declining popularity of shoot'em-ups in general, but sometimes I think Gradius III just scared everyone away for that long.

So thanks for that death montage at 6:50. That was cathartic.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 AM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
And he did it for my birthday!

(not really but Patrons got to see it on the 17th and that was my birthday so...)
It was definitely Jonathon's birthday episode.

Quote:
As predicted, I enjoyed.

Gradius III feels like the result of an arms race between Konami and high-level shmup players, intended to give even the most storied veterans a run for their money. The downside to that is the rest of us got left out in the cold. The Japanese ROM set offers a "Beginner Course" that lowers the difficulty, but it ends after just three stages. Ten years went by before Konami made a Gradius IV, which is probably attributable to the declining popularity of shoot'em-ups in general, but sometimes I think Gradius III just scared everyone away for that long.

So thanks for that death montage at 6:50. That was cathartic.
Yeah, the Beginner Course is in the PS2 version, but I didn't mention it. Probably should have. And it took 10 years to get Gradius IV, but we did get Gradius Gaiden before that!

And you're welcome! I couldn't not put in a death montage. And that's literally a fraction of how many times I died recording footage.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 AM

I was thinking I'd need to get the arcade version, but I guess I'm good with my Super NES cart. =D
Old 04-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
I was thinking I'd need to get the arcade version, but I guess I'm good with my Super NES cart. =D
A solid decision.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Slammaster

I did another thing I'm sure Kishi will enjoy.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 AM

The SotN of the Gradius series, eh? I haven't played a whole lot of Gradius, but that sounds like it's worth a look to me. Shame the PS1/2 release isn't on PSN.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 AM
New Video World is out!

I'll have a watch of these videos later, I love Gradius. Best shmup series ever.

I did beat the arcade Gradius III but it was the PSP version that lets you save at checkpoints. It was still nearly impossible. The Cube Field broke me. I had to restart from the beginning on a lower difficulty setting to get past it.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I just want to say that I noticed you reached the letter B on your steam curation list, and I appreciate it. Please keep going when you have the time. People on Steam should sign up.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I just want to say that I noticed you reached the letter B on your steam curation list, and I appreciate it. Please keep going when you have the time. People on Steam should sign up.
You linked people to Stu's curation page in the On the Stick Thread?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Little Waves

You're gonna spoil me at this rate!

Quote:
The SotN of the Gradius series, eh?
That's really what it boils down to. Not to repeat Roger, but it's easily one of the most beautiful 2D games of all time, the stage concepts are delightfully imaginative, and the Gauge Edit offers a kind of customization not seen in the series before or since. Gaiden is such a stellar effort that Gradius IV, released two years later and bearing that prestigious number, actually feels like a step backward with its awkward polygons and general lack of new ideas.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
The SotN of the Gradius series, eh? I haven't played a whole lot of Gradius, but that sounds like it's worth a look to me. Shame the PS1/2 release isn't on PSN.
Yeah, it's really odd. You'd think with so much Konami stuff on the Japanese PSN, Gradius Gaiden would be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I'll have a watch of these videos later, I love Gradius. Best shmup series ever.

I did beat the arcade Gradius III but it was the PSP version that lets you save at checkpoints. It was still nearly impossible. The Cube Field broke me. I had to restart from the beginning on a lower difficulty setting to get past it.
Did the PSP version have save points? I thought only the PS2 one did. But, yeah, it's a bastard.

Quote:
You're gonna spoil me at this rate!
I'm trying.

Quote:
That's really what it boils down to. Not to repeat Roger, but it's easily one of the most beautiful 2D games of all time, the stage concepts are delightfully imaginative, and the Gauge Edit offers a kind of customization not seen in the series before or since. Gaiden is such a stellar effort that Gradius IV, released two years later and bearing that prestigious number, actually feels like a step backward with its awkward polygons and general lack of new ideas.
Gradius IV is the weakest of the numbered Gradiuses. (Gradii?)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
What's this all about now?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Christmas Action Returns

I believe estragon mixed this thread up with madhair's.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I picked up the PSP gradius collection!

Gradius 2 is difficult.

Gradius 1's bosses are easy but that last level is balls hard.

Gradius Gaiden is fun but I need to practice more at it.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Slammaster

Gradius 1 has not aged particularly well. Pretty much every game in the series after 1 does everything better. With the possibly exception of Gradius IV, which is... eh.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Chief Servbot

Is the the PS1 region free? If I get a copy of Gradius Gaiden will it work on my American Playstation? Game looks legit
Old 05-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Slammaster

It's the FIFTIETH episode of Same Name, Different Game. I've been planning this one for quite a while and actually working on it since February. It's easily the most ambitious work I've put together so far on YouTube, and I hope you all really dig it. I'm really flattered all of the guests agreed to come on, and if you're not familiar with their shows, I dig them all. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
Is the the PS1 region free? If I get a copy of Gradius Gaiden will it work on my American Playstation? Game looks legit
Not without a mod, I'm afraid.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Christmas Action Returns

Wow, so many guests! And appropriate too, as I had no idea there were so many Ninja Gaidens! I learned a bunch on that one, Shakewell! Here's to fifty more!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
Wow, so many guests! And appropriate too, as I had no idea there were so many Ninja Gaidens! I learned a bunch on that one, Shakewell! Here's to fifty more!
Many, many Ninjas Gaiden, yes. And I was really flattered they all agreed to do it!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 AM

Great episode! Hope I'm ever so lucky if you decide to do "Mega Man."
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Slammaster

Ninja Gaiden addendum!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Slammaster

You know what's a super good videogame? Gunstar Heroes. Gunstar Heroes is a super good videogame.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:39 AM

Can't wait to watch that, but waiting for Nadia, since we watch together.

Tags
a little history , garbage of cesspool , joe drilling media empire , sticksters , the freshest cat possible , your gaming history