The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 08-27-2015, 02:57 PM
if-then-eels

I love-love-love futzing about with synth levels. Here is my most recent paean to distortion effects.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Binglebottom

The levels of clang hurt my ears a little bit but besides that I like it!

Latest piece, "Wreath" (via Soundcloud). A relatively intimate, triple-time keyboard piece.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

That was neat stuff, muteKi. It didn't sound super dissonant to me, but it was very off-kilter. But it did sound like a mix of minor and major melodies, so maybe that's one musical definition of dissonance. I'm not real learned on music theory though! Either way, good composition.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:15 PM

I recorded an album over the summer with my new band that I don't think I've introduced to TT. We're working on gathering funds to get the album mastered, but I'll say that I think this is some of the most important music I've ever been a part of making. Making an album is awesome, but always leaves somewhat of a creative drought in the aftermath. So while my band is taking it easy in the writing department, I've been looking for something to fill that void.

Let me just say that ever since I heard the FF6 Overclocked album "Balance and Ruin", I've been having a very strong desire to create OCRemix style remixes of Mega man music. I've been listening to the soundtrack for the original NES mega man games, and gathering many ideas, and this week I decided to start putting my ideas into action.

So for my first real concerted effort, I decided to highlight one of my favorite mega man tracks: Wave Man (from Mega Man V).
Click here to listen

More info:
  • I make music with FL Studio, which I still don't think I know how to use all that well, but good enough.
  • I don't know that much about mastering. I use a plugin literally called "Soundgoodizer", which has a single knob that you can crank to make it sound... gooder. I don't know how it works, but it's a pretty cheap plugin that basically makes things loud, which works well for electronic music.
  • I employed a technique called Separate Chaining. The principle behind this is that I have several of the tracks running into a single track, whose volume is triggered to change inversely to the volume of the kick track; the result is the big fat "pulsing" sound this track maintains throughout.
  • In terms of composition, I wanted to really highlight the beauty and simplicity of the source material. The original track is very upbeat and kitchy, which works great for a mega man level. I decided to slow down the tempo dramatically and simplify the beat to a simple two-step in order to really bring out the melodies hidden in this criminally under-appreciated track.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 PM
the :motion: stands

Very nice! I especially liked the way the 4-tone sequence kept bubbling up.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Very nice! I especially liked the way the 4-tone sequence kept bubbling up.
thanks man, glad you dig
Old 11-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Binglebottom

Latest piece: A. L. Letov (via Soundcloud)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
When I click this link the track is unavailable and says it's being processed.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
When I click this link the track is unavailable and says it's being processed.
That is really strange... I mean, I see it too.
I just edited the track description, hit 'save' and it seemed to go away.

Really dig your track, by the way. It's upbeat and unrelenting, and is exactly what I want to be listening to.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Binglebottom

Thanks! I'll listen to your piece now.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Latest piece: A. L. Letov (via Soundcloud)
I like this one a lot. Very cool sound to it.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:29 PM
kill

I have shared my shits with the metal thread, but I can cross post here. I do mostly metal stuff. I want to start recording less metal stuff eventually.

Anyway, my main deal is Depraved Heretic I am happy with the songs and construction, but I'm not happy with the recording quality or guitar solos. Still, check it and dig it.

I have a side deal with a friend called Blütfürz Which is black metal with lyrics that are Kung Pow poorly translated to German. We wrote all those songs in like 5 minutes apiece. Just fun riffing.

Here is me jamming some prog drums I wrote the guitar riffs and showed them to my buddy and recorded it all in the same evening. Fun stuff.

Last edited by Shagohod; 12-10-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:20 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

You are a multitalented young man, my dear Shagohod. Cool drumming.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Indelible Inkling

I've been putting out a bunch of stuff on Spotify/iTunes/etc lately, mostly free improvisation but some chiptunes. Here's my artist page on Spotify if you want to listen.

It's out there stuff, I have a hard time figuring out how to sell it. Good background music? Good for thinking? Who knows.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod
Could you relink these? They don't work for me.

Here's my latest, HELLTUMBLE (via Soundcloud). Septuple time, percussion-heavy, fusion-y.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Here's my latest, HELLTUMBLE (via Soundcloud). Septuple time, percussion-heavy, fusion-y.
this is tight as fuck. reminds me of the Einhander soundtrack. The little burst at the end of the song was misleading, I thought there was a lot more song left. wish it kept going, honestly.

Might be my favorite stuff I've heard from you, nice work.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
this is tight as fuck. reminds me of the Einhander soundtrack. The little burst at the end of the song was misleading, I thought there was a lot more song left. wish it kept going, honestly.

Might be my favorite stuff I've heard from you, nice work.
Thank you! I agree that it could be longer. I've just been eager to complete tracks for a while now since I have like twenty WIPs in the bin, so I wrapped that one up once I could sense myself getting close to hitting a wall. For something that's similar and longer, check out this track.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:56 PM
if-then-eels

One of the oldest songs I've done was me making a little vaguely-proggy piece based around the bassline from the boss song from Thunder Blade (What's it called again? Burning Point?) that wound up sounding kinda like something Junichi Matsuda could have come up with.

I've since enhanced it to use some of the effects of slightly more modern Genny trackers, including a few more channels. Drum samples, too. Yay.

One thing that's nice about making music on the internet is that it's often pretty easy to give music a swing effect. Simply make the first of every two 8th notes twice as long as the second. So I decided to do that. I think it improved the song by leagues to do that, and given that one of my instructions for this track -- which is now going to be part of the music for an upcoming game based on Rolling Thunder / Shinobi -- was to make it like Fortuna from Star Fox, I would say that it's even more on point with that.

Here's the song
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 PM
kill

Quote:

Sorry, didn't realize they were shit links. I fixed them now in the original post.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Sorry, didn't realize they were shit links. I fixed them now in the original post.
Thanks!

Here's my latest track, again via Soundcloud: Gale of Field. Trying to mimic the music you might hear in a Falcom action-RPG from the 90s.

Last edited by Diplo; 01-05-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:07 PM

Here's a new track I wrote.

I like to prototype songs I write using ezdrummer, with some bass and guitar synths over the top of them. The process makes it easier to fully realize a song, and likewise introduce the song to my bandmates. It's also maybe the heaviest fucking song I've ever written!! Proud of the recording for what it is, but this track mostly represents an achievement in songwriting for me.

Anyway, this track "Firetruck" (working title) makes use of riffs I've kept in the ol' riff bank (my brain) for a very long time... some as old as seven years! It's been quite a struggle finding a way to express these riffs in a coherent song-like manner, but I finally managed to use them and finish the song. FINALLY. I detailed this personal struggle in this post.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:41 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

It kind of sounds like hard NES music. Heavy NES. It's cool. Good work!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 PM
kill

Cute stuff, narcodis. If you ever want advice with songwriting, show me some ideas and I can give you ideas on what directions to take them. I'm not the shreddingest musician, but I hold my songwriting abilities in high esteem.

Also, I got a little recording setup at my place now so I'm going to start sharing more stuff in here. Some metal, some less metal. I'll try to make it good either way.

Keep on keeping on, everyone. Music is fun.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 PM
if-then-eels

I am going to keep making music in this style until I have run it completely into the ground.

(As with the other tunes I have done in this style, it is a cover.)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Astral Traveller

Wow, so listening to everything in this thread made me really nervous about posting anything because it's all really good, but I'm gonna do it anyway! So here's a thing I wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/thegiantsquon...of-the-sea-god

It's honestly not all that great, but I'm hoping that putting it somewhere for others to hear will help push me to work on songwriting more regularly, or at least more often. It's also the first full song I've written (everything else I have saved on my computer is just small snippets), even though it's rather short, so I guess that counts for something.

Also, for some reason uploading it to Soundcloud made it quieter for some reason; not sure why that is.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:19 PM
if-then-eels

My new song is back to the louder distorted sound. It is, however, another cover, this time of Cub's (and TMBG's) punky classic, New York City. Inspired by the raucous and loud sound TMBG typically uses during their live shows. Check it out

Should I make another thread for these arrangements or is this as good a place as any?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Damn, I hate to see this thread be inactive! Deep into page 3 on arguably the most-dead forum of TT! Breaks my heart.
Let's see if we can't do anything about that!

Quote:
Wow, so listening to everything in this thread made me really nervous about posting anything because it's all really good, but I'm gonna do it anyway! So here's a thing I wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/thegiantsquon...of-the-sea-god

It's honestly not all that great, but I'm hoping that putting it somewhere for others to hear will help push me to work on songwriting more regularly, or at least more often. It's also the first full song I've written (everything else I have saved on my computer is just small snippets), even though it's rather short, so I guess that counts for something.

Also, for some reason uploading it to Soundcloud made it quieter for some reason; not sure why that is.
I really quite enjoy this piece. It has that real chill vibe I dig in videogame music. The percussion in the background really sounds like crashing waves, which I'm assuming was intentional given how this song is called "Shrine of the Sea God". As far as other games, it reminds me a lot of FF6's Serpent Trench, which is easily one my favorite songs on an already godlike soundtrack, so well frickin' done.

Soundcloud does some sort of weird compression when it processes your uploads. Not sure why it would wind up quieter necessarily, but there you go. I would be interested to hear this how you intended it to sound!

Quote:
I am going to keep making music in this style until I have run it completely into the ground.

(As with the other tunes I have done in this style, it is a cover.)
I really dig this song. Is it an original? Based on the description, it sounds like it's an existing song but I don't know the source material at all. But just based on the mix and everything alone there's a lot to like here. The sound of the bass and xylophone work really well together. I dig the wobbly lead as well, and the drumbeat kinda speaks to me in the way only a drum n bass drumbeat could. I guess my only criticism is that the "bridge" part, rather, the part right before it loops, feels a little cut short, and could've been elaborated on quite a bit more. It's cool though.

Quote:
My new song is back to the louder distorted sound. It is, however, another cover, this time of Cub's (and TMBG's) punky classic, New York City. Inspired by the raucous and loud sound TMBG typically uses during their live shows. Check it out

Should I make another thread for these arrangements or is this as good a place as any?
I'm not at all familiar with the source material of this one either, so I don't really know if I have anything constructive to offer! However I will say I think the synths are maybe a little too shrill/harsh. Based on the track description, it sounds like this was by design, but definitely was a turn off for me. Though I can appreciate a lot of what's going on here, just the synth style isn't my particular cup of tea..

Anyway... on to what I've been up to lately. My band broke up so I've been bummed about that the past week or so. Thinking about it, this is the first time I haven't been in a band in over a decade. But on the bright side, I've never felt more motivated to play my guitar and write music than now. I think my old drummer and I are going to start something up, as soon as we can find a dedicated practice space. Hopefully that comes to fruition soon.

So yeah, here's some stuff I've been working on:

BLACKJACK

This is a song I originally had written as a "plugs" theme song for Comedy Bang Bang, the podcast. They played the plugs theme on an episode where Tenacious D was the guest, and both of them praised the song quite a bit (Jack Black calling the song a "tasty jam" and rating it "8/10" is absolutely the most cool I've ever felt in my entire fucking life).

Anyway, later on I showed the song it to my drummer friend who insisted we turn it into a real song, so I wrote more and more parts to it until it became honestly one of my more favorite things I've ever written. It's upbeat, it's catchy, and has some fuckin' punch to it. My drummer took my shitty guitar track and recorded drums to it, and the result is the recording we have here. I do intend to have lyrics and stuff eventually, but for now it is what it is.

Here's another:

Firetruck -- WITH REAL GUITARS

I revisited an old song I posted on here earlier in the thread. I got rid of the old horrible synth lead and recorded some proper guitar tracks. It sounds kinda good. I'm quite proud of the song itself, but the guitar tone itself leaves a bit to be desired.

Still trying to figure out recording guitars at home. My method involves playing through my Roland Cube 15 practice amp, which has a output that goes into my extremely dated Alesis Multimix 8 usb interface. I then route that all into FL Studio, where I generously apply all sorts of EQ/FX/compression/etc onto the guitar (as well as sequence the bass/drums), and overlay some mastering plugins over the whole damn thing.

The result of all this is what you hear in the tracks linked above. Using the direct out, the guitar sounds pretty... dull. Flat. Not really whole, if you will. At least, this is how it is on the amp's distortion channel. (The clean channel can actually sound really damn good, like in this track here). I don't really have a decent distortion pedal, so that's kinda what I've got to work with.

I've been really trying all sorts of different setups and configurations, but this method will never sound as good as a properly mic'd up speaker cabinet. Unfortunately, until I no longer live in an apartment, this is about as good as it's gonna get. I'll keep messing around with different techniques. Using the practice amp direct out sounds better than trying to play guitar directly into the audio interface, at least.

However, I think the result at least sounds KINDA decent?? What do y'all think?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Not a Beer

Hey, I think I missed a bit of this thread back when I was reading the forum less.

muteKI your loud as fuck TMBG cover makes me smile.

narcodis, when I clicked on BLACKJACK I was half expecting an FFVI cover, but I totally dig what it actually is! Nice jam. Sadly I have almost no experience recording physical instruments, so I can't offer any advice there.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 PM
if-then-eels

oh wait I thought you were talking about a different song narcodis here is the original of the song you liked

But I have a release that is new!

https://ucollective.org/audio/muteKi...+waiting+room/

here's a song for a future game project thing some of my friends are working on that I wanted to get out on the internet a bit early because I thought it was cool. The sound's meant to have a floaty feel to it, calling to mind a game stage resembling like Wing Fortress from Sonic 2 or the helicopter stage from Mega Turrican. The dev notes called for something a la Ennio Morricone, but (as I noted on the page there) it winds up sounding more like Eric Whittacre or Dvorak (with some notable hints of Jun'Ichi Masuda and Tamayo Kawamoto -- who are more general influencers of the overall musical style I'm applying to the project). The second section of the song is taken from an earlier project in modplug that was for a thing that didn't happen and I decided would fit well here, though it's a shame the FM brass instruments don't sound quite as nice in that part of the track as the string samples I'd used for it.

Last edited by muteKi; 08-30-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: got confused following the wrong quotes and things lol
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM

I did up a new mega man arrangement:
GAMMA BUSTER

It's the boss music from Mega Man 3. I may revisit this later, because there's something about it that kinda feels off but I really can't place it. If anyone has any feedback they can offer I'd be appreciative.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Not a Beer

I don't have much constructive criticism, but I like it! The transition at 0:35 is a little jarring, but it works out.

Tags
composing , composition , music