The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
South Park: The Stick of Truth holds up very nicely.

It's all the Good Bits of Paper Mario, tempered with bits of Skyrim. And leaning so hard on its M rating that they might need to go one letter higher.
Rated N for Nature
Old 04-21-2018, 06:44 AM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Pronouns: He / him

Devil Daggers is something else alright. I haven't played a game with mouse and keyboard in a long time, so I'm not surviving very long at present, but I love its marriage of the FPS form with the design sensibilities of the top-down arena-based twin-stick shooter. The sound design is unreal - enemies spawn in preset groups or attack waves, very often out of your field of view, and you're alerted to their encroachment by the unique low-pitched rumbling groans or crackling static sounds they produce. The sounds kill two birds with one stone - making the game actually playable and learnable, and successfully conjuring a powerfully creepy atmosphere in the short time the player is likely to last. It's probably the first FPS in its particular milieu I've played (it's inspired very clearly by Doom, Hexen, Quake, et al) that feels genuinely hellish or nightmarish.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 AM
An Animal of Joy

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

I looked that up and bought it immediately! Thanks for the recommendation!

I think it's the simulated warpy PS1-like geometry that won me over.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Pronouns: He / him

Excellent, hope you enjoy it! Yeah the visuals are really striking. I love the black-on-red, Satanic-Lovecraftian vibe of the enemy designs in particular, and some of them are deceptively well animated.

Edit: I might need to rein in my own tastes a bit here but I think it would benefit from a scoring system. Currently your score is the amount of time you've survived, so there's nothing to keep the early seconds/minutes of the game interesting as you get better at it. A scoring system would ameliorate this since there'd be much more scope for squeezing more points out of the opening sections and tightening up your run. (This is jumping the gun a bit, of course - I can barely manage a minute.)

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-22-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 AM
An Animal of Joy

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Whew, I did not expect to die in one hit! I played some and beat your score, but I still have no idea how to take out the giant flying tick thing, which I will have to do to get any further.

I appreciate how restarts, leaderboards, and replays are all pretty much instant. Most games can't get that right.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:51 PM
I have a Plan

Third run of Pyre complete.

Observation the first: I know everyone likes using Hedwyn's passive buffs for his team, but god damn the combo of Gol's Bracer and Critical Strike is insane. He can just Robocop his way through entire teams with that.

Observation the second: I started this run with the intent of never sending any of the original four in Hedwyn's promise (the Reader, Hedwyn, Rukey, and Jodariel) free. I ended up freeing everyone else in the Nightwings save for Fae, and sending Oralech and Tamitha free from my opponents. It led to some very interesting stories that way and I'm happy for it. I also lost Rukey's double-or-nothing match with Barker, which was also super cool. I'll have to see what happens when you let Barker go free sometime.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:16 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Things I Like About Morrowind

Chitin and bonemold armor are standards. Like, I get that these suits are strictly a regional thing, but dressing up like a bone knight or bug ninja is awesome and Oblivion and (pre-Dragonborn) Skyrim feel all the more generic for not having it.

On the subject of bone ninjas...

You can throw shurikens and knives and there's also tantos and wakizashis. Like, I appreciate that the later games at least kept the katanas, but you can seriously get your Feudal Japan on in this game.

Also there's spears and halberds. Really wish Elder Scrolls would bring these back.

And there's club varieties and staves function as another blunt weapon. Because there's more blunt weapons out there than a hunk of metal on a stick.

The world feels really alien. I admit that a significant part of that is that the graphics are really crappy and there's fog and draw-in everywhere, but Morrowind has a very distinct look to it that makes it feel otherworldly compared to Skyrim's generic look and Oblivion's House of Horrors. The regional armors, roster of monster bugs and fat lizards, Argonians and Khajiit having more animal-like legs, giant mushrooms, swamp lands, and Dunmer society also contribute to this.

There is a wide range of equipment customization. Just counting stuff that actually shows on the model you can equip a shirt, pants, boots, helmet, cuirass, greaves, and individual gloves and pauldrons all together. Think you can put on a robe over all of that, too.

Fast travel is limited and there are no quest markers. I'm not saying I mind the quality of life improvements that the sequels brought to the table, but having to find things with directions and only being able to fast travel to/between places with certain spells or in-town services does make for a much more immersive world.

There's an Unarmored skill. Wanna live like a mage or monk? Morrowind's got your defenses covered.

You can't do every-fucking-thing so your choices matter more. I honestly don't mind that I have to pick and choose between being a master thief or head of the fighters, or that I can't be top dog in both the mage's guild and House Telvanni.

Beards exist. Was your creepy face crafter really worth it, Oblivion?
Old 04-21-2018, 03:26 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yeah, Morrowind is something special.

Iíve been really digging Darkest Dungeon. Itís got a lot of light elements from XCOM and Etrian Odyssey, but itís also very much its own thing. I love that the heroes start with four random skills out of 7, and that there are so many different ways to build parties. Iíve gotten pretty good at dealing with stress, but I just realized that diseases and negative qualities are starting to build up. Iím trying to avoid tossing characters away, but weíll see how long that lasts.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Speaking as someone with a terrible sense of direction, is it possible to mod in fast travel and quest markers into Morrowind?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:33 PM
of the Black Falcons

I donít know, but I remember using this map a lot when I played.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Sudden chomper

A while back, I bought a cool-looking blue Xbox One controller to use with my office PC (despite already having a full set of 4 Xbox 360 controllers for the living room). Recently, I realized that I basically never use a controller when playing games in my office, so I decided to move it to the living room PC where it'll actually see some use. Since then, I've played Knights both Hollow and Shovel using it and I've gotta say, it's got a pretty solid dpad! I'm not sure I'd say it's across-the-board better than the 360 controller (which I've been using nonstop for over a decade at this point), but I really appreciate the Xbox One pad for 2D games and it's extra nice that it works over Bluetooth. I'll still keep my 360 controllers around for those rare 4-player sessions (since you're limited to two Xbox One controllers over Bluetooth), but I think I'll be using the newer model for the forseeable future.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Come, noble knights!

So Conker: Live & Reloaded...It's a little more beepy and the fur effect looks kind of stupid and I'm not sure I'll never fully adapt to the new weapon controls, but for better or worse this is still very much Conker's Bad Fur Day with a new coat of paint.

You still get your initial tutorials from a drunk scarecrow. You still smack that jackass gargoyle with a frying pan.* You still see the reaper upon your first death. You still blow that stupid mouse to bits Monty Python style. You still bounce on an anthropomorphic sunflower's giant rack.

And I still love me some Conker's Bad Fur Day. Some of the humor's a little more cringe-inducing than it used to be, but this is still one of the few adult games out there with a focus on comedy, and Conker's "straight man with greedy, perverted, and murderous tendencies"** always makes for some interesting interactions with the lunatics and morons populating his world.

Also, the game carries itself with a certain gravitas that is usually lacking from your average "adult" late night animated show. Yes, you're tricking a bull into blowing up shitting cows, and battling a singing pile of excrement, but the game carries itself with a surprising amount of dignity for a title with so much grossout content.

So yeah, I'm enjoying it so far.

As for multiplayer...Tried out the new multiplayer mode with some bots. I see how it could be fun with actual people, but I'm not really drawn to the whole "get through barricades to destroy thing" gameplay and I know local play would be a mere shell of what the original Live experience was like.

* This does segue into one of the differences with the remake, though. The pan doesn't work this time and the gargoyle talks about the designers wanting to change things in the tutorial a bit. Then Conker knocks him out with a nail bat (your new default weapon) and he gets blown to bits by a falling boulder.

** Really though, this is the perfect description for many of the 'protagonists' from the era of animation Conker draws inspiration from.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Speaking as someone with a terrible sense of direction, is it possible to mod in fast travel and quest markers into Morrowind?
Yes and no. For quest markers, I don't think there's a underlying skeleton to build that on since there isn't a modern quest log to tie it to.

Oblivion or Skyrim-style fast travel probably could be done since there's a console command that lets you teleport to an arbitrary location. I've never seen that style done - most people that are experienced modders would just tell you to use the console command. But there's a mod that does something similar: Andromeda's Fast Travel. Anywhere there are signposts pointing to a place, you can use the sign to adance time and teleport to that place. It still requires finding a sign post, which isn't gonna happen during the back half of the game, and only works for major cities with signs pointed at them, but. It's something, at least.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I mean the game does have fast travel, it's just not modern ubiquitous free fast travel.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I mean the game does have fast travel, it's just not modern ubiquitous free fast travel.
Yeah, but adding more options to that still makes it an easier pill to swallow. Morrowind is by far the most creative and fully realized world Bethesda has ever made. Anything that makes it easier for new players to approach is a good thing. Oh, there are also mods that let every transport person of a type take you to any other transport person of a type. So every silt strider to every other silt strider and every boat to every other boat.

Also, Sprite, scrolls of Divine and Almsivi Intervention will take you to the nearest temple to the Nine Divines or Tribunal respectively, and those tend to be in civilized locations. It's helpful to have a couple around as "I'm lost" panic buttons.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 04-23-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:23 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I used console commands to do this. Though depending on your gaming habits this just opens the window to abusing the console. I only used it to travel quickly between places I'd already been to before.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 PM

My favorite thing about Morrowind is something I don't see ever coming back because a lot of devs are too scared to let players do it, and it's that Morrowind let you fuck up the main plot. It gave you a bigass warning that you should reload a previous save if you did it, but it still let you do it. None of this immortal NPC crap. I get it with child NPCs, but just because an NPC is tied to a quest doesn't mean they should be immune to dying sooner than a quest trigger says it's okay for them to. Losing quests and rewards should be a real consequence to murderhobo-ing around. And even with screwing up the main plot so you couldn't progress it normally, there was still a contingency path available rich with its own significance to the major characters of Morrowind if you knew how to find it.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

A strong enough wizard doesn't need "plot flags," "information," or "divine protection." Just patience, levitation, and just, like, a shitload of healing magic.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Fifth Business

I did not play Morrowind, but a speedrun I watched of it way back in high school impressed me as an utterly bewildering mess, the character furiously mixing and chugging potion after potion while dashing around and barging into seemingly arbitrary places to do seemingly nothing for reasons that were impossible to follow, only to then immediately just rush right on in to face the final boss very, very quickly and kill him so immediately that the last chunk of his smugly voiced "YOU, A MORTAL, CHALLENGING ME, A GOD???" pre-battle speech ended up playing over his death animation, and the ending tried to frame this abrupt fever dream as some grand and sprawling journey. It was absolutely hilarious to me, and doing impressions of the smug-while-being-killed final boss actually became an inside joke among my friends and I, because yeeeaaaah, we were pretty fucking cool guys, thanks for noticing, no time for autographs, we've all got dates with our girlfriends.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:19 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I did not play Morrowind, but a speedrun I watched of it way back in high school impressed me as an utterly bewildering mess, the character furiously mixing and chugging potion after potion while dashing around and barging into seemingly arbitrary places to do seemingly nothing for reasons that were impossible to follow, only to then immediately just rush right on in to face the final boss very, very quickly and kill him so immediately that the last chunk of his smugly voiced "YOU, A MORTAL, CHALLENGING ME, A GOD???" pre-battle speech ended up playing over his death animation, and the ending tried to frame this abrupt fever dream as some grand and sprawling journey. It was absolutely hilarious to me, and doing impressions of the smug-while-being-killed final boss actually became an inside joke among my friends and I, because yeeeaaaah, we were pretty fucking cool guys, thanks for noticing, no time for autographs, we've all got dates with our girlfriends.
I wish to make you aware of DAGOTHWAVE.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

A lot of that is the game letting make potions that make you better at making potions, and making spells that make you better at making spells. It's pretty silly, and I don't recommend it, except for when I do.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Come, noble knights!

While I'm grateful to have a way to play it all without a PC, I really wish Morrowind had a proper HD remaster for modern consoles. I've heard it runs better on the Xbox One X (I'm rolling 360), but it's all too obvious that the Xbox OG-san version of the game was struggling to run on that platform.

IMO sub-optimal Morrowind's better than no Morrowind, but I'll definitely double dip whenever I get a new laptop. Game's only about 16 years old, so even a cheap laptop could probably run it today.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

It can. My laptop is hyper cheap and it works fine. It even handles the super fancy graphical mods fairly well.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Just bear with me

Tell me more of this hyper cheap laptop...
Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I'm guessing cheap is like two or three hundos.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM
of the Black Falcons

I played it on a 2010 macbook air and it ran great.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Played some Delver today to burn some time. Turns out the secret to enjoying Delver is to put everything into HP.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 PM
a foaming sea bear

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I went back to Sonic Heroes. Due to an accident while encoding a video (accidentally set up full uncompressed 720p settings for a 2 hour video) I filled up my hard drive and it killed my main 100% save for the game (I was inspired by recent talk on Retronauts to go back to see if the game was as good as I remembered, and I was going to go the mostly-positive route of just playing as Team Rose since that's nice and breezy), so I decided that I'd use a partly-cleared save file and go and beat everything again. Right now I still have the two Team Dark missions in Final Fortress to take care of but otherwise everything is completed with an A-rank.

While the Chaotix extra missions are just as frustrating as I remember them being, this is overall still taking me about half as long as I spent trying to 100% SA2. I think it's overall a much better game and outside of the Chaotix levels, the only things that aren't in the range from inoffensive to delightful are basically the boss battles (which kinda were crap in SA2 as well, especially the character vs. character ones). The graphic design on the game is incredible, and it's definitely one of the secret best looking games of its generation. Not perfect, and I think a number of levels could have stood being trimmed down a bit or at least split into multiple parts a la more recent games like Colors and Generations, but my experience so far has been mostly positive.

In general I do really enjoy that the A-rank requirements aren't as strict as they were in SA2. Generally the most important thing is to not loop back around unless you have to (i.e., get everything with Team Chaotix in your first loop through a stage), take out most of the enemies on the way, and do it all in a single life. It's fun when it goes well (and frankly even if you're not much into the game, I get enough enjoyment out of Team Rose's playthrough that I think at least that is worth trying even if the rest of the game can feel like a herculean labor to the uninitiated). Still, I'd be lying if dying right at the end of a roughly 10-minute level wasn't demoralizing (guess why I don't have an a-rank on Final Fortress as Team Dark).

I don't intend to go through Super Hard mode again, though. By the time you get past Frog Forest the game throws way too many of those heavy egg hammer enemies and it starts to turn into a real chore; even if stuff like ranking no longer matters it's just a huge time sink and the game doesn't save a record of your beating the mode anyway.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:14 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I'm guessing cheap is like two or three hundos.
Correct.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:38 PM

Pronouns: She/Her

I am finally, finally playing Etrian Odyssey.

On floor 1 I naturally almost had my whole party die to the freaking butterflies, but that taught me something: poison freaking rocks. So my Alchemist became a poison specialist, at which point nothing in the first stratum could take me because even the Stalkers just go down to a couple turns of Not Dying. I'm using a Landsknecht-Protector frontline with a Medic-Alchemist-Bard backline to facilitate this.

The boss of the first stratum was challenging, but with a bit of luck his minions survived just two turns each due to poison, and I bought a bunch of Medica IIs to heal up without wrecking my TP - he couldn't kill anything once the skolls went down. So that's where I am now, and I'm loving how tense this game gets.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity