The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2071  
Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Hell yeah. I might fire up the PS2 (Taito Memories) version for a laugh. Any suggestion of slowdown was removed entirely so it's a bit hard.
Reply With Quote
  #2072  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:11 AM
spineshark's Avatar
spineshark spineshark is offline
vivid energy
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mid cyan
Posts: 11,824
Default

it's pretty intense, but even more than that i kind of love how the darius gaiden on that doesn't have an autofire option. like, conventional wisdom is that it's a super easy 1cc with autofire, but without it there's some really tricky stuff
Reply With Quote
  #2073  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:30 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Yeah, definitely! There's no killing bosses before they get to bust out their nastier attacks, and the strikingly extended length of some of the harder fights like Storm Causer makes them quite gruelling. There are people who aggressively argue this is the Way It Was Meant To Be Played, and even though Darius Gaiden Extra uses the autofire by default I am quite sympathetic to this view. I think people should really play it both ways, if they're getting into it anyway, because it'll give them two very different and rewarding experiences. (There are a fair amount of routes that will give people a shock even with autofire, heh.)

BTW, I hope my comment about G-Darius doesn't put anyone off playing it. That version is probably the cheapest and easiest to come by (on Taito Legends 2), and despite the increased speed over the PCB or PS1 port it's still eminently playable. Only a few routes are really hard work. The real shame about that collection is the screwed-up beam mechanics in Metal Black...

Edit: speaking of conventional wisdom, I'm getting back into the original Darius and PCE Super Darius (a sort of 'complete' version, adding all of the bosses cut from the arcade game), and I'm being reminded that the "up is easy, down is hard" stage selection rule of thumb wasn't true at all at this point. The "all up" route in the arcade game in particular is harrowing, features a harder version of Fatty Glutton than appears on a lower stage, easily putting an end to a good run, and its final boss is Great Thing.

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-10-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2074  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Dracula's Avatar
Dracula Dracula is online now
クソゲーが好な人
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: DISVALLEY
Posts: 3,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
G-Darius turns 20 today. It still feels like one of the 'new' ones, somehow. Celebrating by listening to OGR's incredible soundtrack.
Sounds like it's time to

MEDITATE (meditate)

MEDITATION
Reply With Quote
  #2075  
Old 04-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Riot.EXE's Avatar
Riot.EXE Riot.EXE is offline
Vigilante All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Posts: 3,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Yeah, definitely! There's no killing bosses before they get to bust out their nastier attacks, and the strikingly extended length of some of the harder fights like Storm Causer makes them quite gruelling. There are people who aggressively argue this is the Way It Was Meant To Be Played, and even though Darius Gaiden Extra uses the autofire by default I am quite sympathetic to this view. I think people should really play it both ways, if they're getting into it anyway, because it'll give them two very different and rewarding experiences. (There are a fair amount of routes that will give people a shock even with autofire, heh.)

BTW, I hope my comment about G-Darius doesn't put anyone off playing it. That version is probably the cheapest and easiest to come by (on Taito Legends 2), and despite the increased speed over the PCB or PS1 port it's still eminently playable. Only a few routes are really hard work. The real shame about that collection is the screwed-up beam mechanics in Metal Black...

Edit: speaking of conventional wisdom, I'm getting back into the original Darius and PCE Super Darius (a sort of 'complete' version, adding all of the bosses cut from the arcade game), and I'm being reminded that the "up is easy, down is hard" stage selection rule of thumb wasn't true at all at this point. The "all up" route in the arcade game in particular is harrowing, features a harder version of Fatty Glutton than appears on a lower stage, easily putting an end to a good run, and its final boss is Great Thing.
Are y'all talkin' about that weird ass KAMEHAMEHA bullshit you can do against the bosses that I never figured out how to do?
Reply With Quote
  #2076  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:03 AM
Ludendorkk's Avatar
Ludendorkk Ludendorkk is offline
Chief Servbot
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lima, OH
Posts: 2,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazama Kuro View Post
Spread bombs are da bomb in that stage.
This was super helpful, thanks!

And my progress into level 4 four went smoothly at first -- I was doing great, perfect flow state, weaving through every bullet pattern, and got to the boss and was about to beat it until it got me on its very last attack and now I'm stuck again.

That Gradius feedback loop of failure....

EDIT: Same story on level 5 now!

Last edited by Ludendorkk; 04-13-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Further adventures in Gradiating
Reply With Quote
  #2077  
Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 PM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

BTW, demi, I've edited the post about Darius Gaiden's rank - as with Burst, there was a lot of stuff I forgot about/was wrong about until I fired the game up again. (High shot power isn't your worst enemy at all!)

Going back to it after playing nothing but versions of the original game for a while, even the easier routes on Gaiden are really hard to 1LC...

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-14-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2078  
Old 04-14-2018, 05:19 AM
Hazama Kuro's Avatar
Hazama Kuro Hazama Kuro is offline
Burnin' like a Noumander
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 194
Default

I can manage on Darius Gaiden, but somehow the way to G-Darius' heart has eluded me, and thus I've never been able to see any of the endings. Those are some of my favourite parts of Darius games, so it's a shame. Masterful game though, the soundtrack is transcendent. I really wonder what happened to OGR, he said he wanted to do non-video game music, but I have no idea how to track him on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
This was super helpful, thanks!

And my progress into level 4 four went smoothly at first -- I was doing great, perfect flow state, weaving through every bullet pattern, and got to the boss and was about to beat it until it got me on its very last attack and now I'm stuck again.

That Gradius feedback loop of failure....

EDIT: Same story on level 5 now!
Glad I could be of help. Spread bombs are pretty great in general. The only time I think that you could use the two way missiles instead is the very last stage, but some option trickery can get you through just fine.

Sounds like you got the hang of the other two stages for the most part. Good luck! Stage 6 is likely my favourite.
Reply With Quote
  #2079  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
demi's Avatar
demi demi is offline
BLU/THF
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Have any of y'all tried the dual screen mode? How was it, if you did try it?
Jumped on a craiglist ad over the weekend for another panel so I could make it happen.



The gap isn't so bad, a lot of the game's action tends to mind it well enough. Not if you're Deadly Whip, though. Or when you fight the two blowfish on either side. Other than that, it's really nice to have the game taking up almost my entire field of view; coupled with headphones, it's a pretty cool experience.
Reply With Quote
  #2080  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Riot.EXE's Avatar
Riot.EXE Riot.EXE is offline
Vigilante All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Posts: 3,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by demi View Post
Jumped on a craiglist ad over the weekend for another panel so I could make it happen.

The gap isn't so bad, a lot of the game's action tends to mind it well enough. Not if you're Deadly Whip, though. Or when you fight the two blowfish on either side. Other than that, it's really nice to have the game taking up almost my entire field of view; coupled with headphones, it's a pretty cool experience.
That's good to hear. I'll have to look up what "Deadly Whip" is, though...
Reply With Quote
  #2081  
Old 04-17-2018, 04:20 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Looks ace!

Psyvariar Delta has been announced for Switch and PS4. It's a port of Psyvariar Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision bundled with some new mode. Revision is the best game in the series, IMO - it'll be worth picking up just for that.
Reply With Quote
  #2082  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 AM
demi's Avatar
demi demi is offline
BLU/THF
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 131
Default

Well I managed to no-miss CGL (although my multiplier for the kill on G.T. was way low because I took plenty of hits still...) and I cleared an easier Expert route while messing around. I've been flying Assault so far because I think Spark Burst is cool, even if it doesn't feel quite as gratifying when counterbursting compared to lasers. Is it correct to say the highest multiplier for Assault's Burst is only reached by enemies killed by its detonation? I can't quite tell.

For boss scoring strats, when it comes down to securing the kill with counterburst, consistency seems like it demands premeditated arsenal: if I always go in to my first boss with max level 1 shot and fire constantly, I can "know" when it would die given that I never miss. So getting the boss primed to that point and then planning on the next counterburst to finish it seems to be the way? The visual feedback given when a boss is damaged is not always clear.

Also, for G.T., are its dolphins more scoring devices than damage opportunities? For Assault, unless I counterburst the top one, my spark isn't going to hit G.T. Even if I do, it wastes a lot of energy traveling while the boss is off screen. If I had max multiplier and counterbursted all three with a detonated spark, it sounds like it can be significant enough to plan for?

Switching gears to Gaiden, I read your revisions: one of the rank-setting events I was reading about was that if your shot power meets or exceeds a certain point when you enter a stage, the rank is immediately jacked up to the stage default if was otherwise below that point. Is this still accurate? And, should I intentionally take a hit before picking up a shield item if my ARM was otherwise at cap for its level? I've never had to really deal with Rank before, and mid-90's rank mechanics can be brutal. I'll go for a clear before I start killing boss parts, for sure. Any other recommendations? Should I just get all the Green (missile) powerups? Skip some captains? Avoid points? What's the main advice you'd give for keeping it manageable?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote
  #2083  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Congrats on your CGL clear, demi! I don't have much time right now, but I'll try to answer most of your Qs.

Assault's "Burst Finish" yields the highest multiplier bonuses, yeah. The best possible way to score with that ship, then, is to use a golden (counterbursting) Burst Finish on a big-ass school of fish or a near-dead boss, with the highest base multiplier.

Counterburst kills are not so much a matter of planning to have the most useful weaponry, but knowing when to stop shooting, or to start shooting in controlled bursts (to clear lesser enemies without damaging the boss too much), etc. The signs that the boss is close to death are a) the main body turning more red and b) sparks beginning to flash around them, but these are more easily readable on some bosses than others. In any case, if you're going for a counterburst kill, there will usually be a point in the fight at which you need to stop attacking and just bide your time until the next opening for a counter. If I were to make a criticism of the game - and I refuse to do it - it would be that these moments can be a bit dull on some of the easier bosses.

GT's dolphins are good for points but not necessarily great for trying to damage it, really. If you're comfortable enough to sacrifice your defensive options to just counterbursting at it as much as possible, though, then there's no harm in trying! I can't remember what the dolphins are worth exactly but it's something good, like half a million or a million each, so they're definitely worth taking out, and even milking if you're sure GT won't time out on you.

I think you're right about the influences on rank in Gaiden, but default stage rank should be manageable. It's the factors that push rank up significantly further that you should focus on. Fortunately, the worst one, destroying too many boss pieces, should be fairly easy to avoid most of the time. It's a fair loss in terms of score, but going for a no-miss-no-bomb and reaping the bonuses from that (and captured Captains) is a much safer bet than trying to systematically dismantle every boss and get away with it*. Still bomb when you need to, though - there's no fun in skimping on the fearsome black hole bomb. I might not be the best person to ask about rank control here, though - normally by the end of a run I have my wave shot powered up to the second-to-last notch (which is much better than full power, because Darius), and my missiles powered up as far as possible, so I'm not doggedly attentive to keeping the rank as low as possible. You definitely don't want to skip any shield orbs, as far as I know. What's the thinking behind taking a hit before upgrading your shield, by the way? You can certainly afford to take a couple of scrapes (I love the feeling of relief on seeing a blue orb), but I don't know of a benefit to it. I do tend to forget an awful lot of a system's detail and nuance unless I'm playing it seriously, though. I'll edit this post as/if I think of things to add - really glad you're enjoying these games!

*Just to be clear, in the Dariusburst games destroying more boss pieces is always a good idea (unless you're trying to hold back on triggering Phantom Castle's second phase).

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-18-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2084  
Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Hazama Kuro's Avatar
Hazama Kuro Hazama Kuro is offline
Burnin' like a Noumander
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 194
Default

As far as I know in Gaiden, the only power ups that affect rank are the shot power ups. The rest should be fine to hoard. Captains also don't affect it, iirc. I may be wrong on these, but most of the 1cc runs I've seen max out all the non-shot power ups and capture all the Captains without making a difference (my own runs notwithstanding).
Reply With Quote
  #2085  
Old 04-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Yeah, that's right. It's possible to worry too much about this stuff, too, since a few of the things that "increase rank" do so in a minor way, and you can't reduce rank to such an extent that memorising everything isn't your main concern. (The difficult thing is that fuck all significantly reduces rank...)

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-18-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2086  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM
demi's Avatar
demi demi is offline
BLU/THF
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
What's the thinking behind taking a hit before upgrading your shield, by the way? You can certainly afford to take a couple of scrapes (I love the feeling of relief on seeing a blue orb), but I don't know of a benefit to it.
Oh, this was conjecture based on rank increase being tied to collecting powerups when at full power. I thought maybe the game, with its mid-90s logic, would apply that to being at max ARM and collecting a Blue shield. If that's not the case, sweet.
Quote:
I do tend to forget an awful lot of a system's detail and nuance unless I'm playing it seriously, though.
I'm totally the same way re: mechanics of games. I'll get a good grasp on just about anything I'm actively engaging, but I always have to "relearn" when I return from a break.
Quote:
I'll edit this post as/if I think of things to add - really glad you're enjoying these games!
Hell yea, thank you! Your enthusiasm for the series is contagious; I don't take it for granted that you seem all the more happy to share anything and everything you know or think about this series and others in the genre. Thanks for the wisdom! I love the music, colors, designs, and overall fast pace of Gaiden - I would love to play for survival. DB:CS offers a more digestible experience and the way the music lines up with the stages or even cues bosses is just great. This series uses sound to great effect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazama Kuro View Post
As far as I know in Gaiden, the only power ups that affect rank are the shot power ups. The rest should be fine to hoard. Captains also don't affect it, iirc. I may be wrong on these, but most of the 1cc runs I've seen max out all the non-shot power ups and capture all the Captains without making a difference (my own runs notwithstanding).
Cool, I think I'm going to try and not worry about power-ups, then! I'll still monitor the shot power-ups I guess, since at the end of the day there seems to be some consensus that boosting these too quickly can make late game fights out of control. But I'm happy to know I can go ahead and boost up missiles and shields a whole bunch. Trying to set up too much for success without actually playing is a fallacy I fall victim to a bit too often.
Reply With Quote
  #2087  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Hazama Kuro's Avatar
Hazama Kuro Hazama Kuro is offline
Burnin' like a Noumander
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 194
Default

Yeah, shot is definitely one to look out for. Good luck with the game! I adore everything you mentioned about Gaiden and then some. It's definitely up there in my top favourite shooting games.
Reply With Quote
  #2088  
Old 04-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by demi View Post
Hell yea, thank you! Your enthusiasm for the series is contagious; I don't take it for granted that you seem all the more happy to share anything and everything you know or think about this series and others in the genre.
Thanks, that's very kind! Glad it comes across that way - when I start gushing I do wonder if it's all stuff nobody cares about.

Quote:
Trying to set up too much for success without actually playing is a fallacy I fall victim to a bit too often.
Oh, same here! I sometimes talk a good game without necessarily playing one. In spite of everything above my highest scores in Gaiden were only ever around 8 million, and the only one I have a screenshot of is a 5mil (almost bare minimum) clear on the upper V route.

Quote:
This series uses sound to great effect!
Definitely! I'm a huge fan of the original game's soundtrack, too. For me it represents some of the earliest attempts at genuinely avant-garde music in video games, especially in the main theme, Chaos, and the piece from the underwater levels, The Sea. There are also straight-up techno bangers like Inorganic Beat, which sounds like something Ryuichi Sakamoto would have written in the early 80s. I listen to this stuff almost every week and I'm stunned every time.

Edit: also, all of the boss music is gloriously threatening, strange or buckwild, and of course it has the best final boss theme ever.

Aaaalso, there's an arcade about ten minutes on the train from where I live, and I discovered today that it has Ketsui and Progear! I only had time for a couple of credits today since I was with my stepson and playing lots of House of the Dead 4 with him, but I'm in hog heaven just knowing they're there.

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-19-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2089  
Old 04-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Hazama Kuro's Avatar
Hazama Kuro Hazama Kuro is offline
Burnin' like a Noumander
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 194
Default

I'm a huge fan of all of OGR's works, and the first Darius is no exception. It's cosmic in a way that no other soundtrack really is. Besides the stuff you mentioned, I have an affinity for Electric Fan's theme. There's something mystical and sorrowful about it that draws me in.

I think Darius II is an overlooked masterpiece of his, too. It's definitely more low-key than his other works, but I love every track on it. There's this sense of warmth and melancholy pervading it. Tracks like Cynthia, Planet Blue and, of course, say PaPa are all enormously good. The only sad thing is that the game lost the opportunity of using the full track for say PaPa in-game (not counting the credits), I think that would've been really good.

Not to worry about your gushings, by the way, Klatrymadon. I always enjoy reading your posts. You always have very keen and insightful thoughts, and your takes on things are fascinating to read.
Reply With Quote
  #2090  
Old 04-20-2018, 02:59 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Cheers, mate! And likewise - you're one of the people keeping this unfortunately quiet thread interesting.

I agree about Darius II's music, too. The instrumentation has dated a little more obviously, but the compositions are so strong. Cynthia, To Nari and Planet Blue are my faves, and War Oh! is a wonderfully playful, jazzy boss theme. Love that scream at the start!
Reply With Quote
  #2091  
Old 04-20-2018, 03:22 PM
YangusKhan's Avatar
YangusKhan YangusKhan is offline
does the Underpants Dance
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,562
Default

Because of this thread, I've been listening to Darius soundtracks! I went through Darius Gaiden, G-Darius, and the original game so far; I think my favorite of those is G-Darius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
of course it has the best final boss theme ever.
Yeah holy crap, when I heard this I couldn't believe what I was listening to. I'm also pretty partial to Cosmic Air Way for stage music.
Reply With Quote
  #2092  
Old 04-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Yeah, a classic! One interesting thing about the soundtrack is that Captain Neo wasn't an original piece. It was from a game called Metal Soldier Isaac II (the first one was never released!), and was only being used as placeholder music during some trade show or location test. Ogura kept it in just because he liked it.

Because of this thread I've been doing some serious revisiting. I've been playing the Extra Version of the original Darius for some score-chasing. It's harder in places, but does away with the laborious milking techniques required to score well in the standard version by giving you an endgame bonus of 1mil per remaining life, which encourages you to aim for a 1LC instead. I've also been looking into something I've known about for years but never really tried: the terrifying All Stages (i.e. zones A-Z) mode in Darius Gaiden Extra, activated simply by playing on the 2P side. (I don't think I'm selling myself short to say I'm probably not clearing that.)

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-20-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2093  
Old 04-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Riot.EXE's Avatar
Riot.EXE Riot.EXE is offline
Vigilante All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Posts: 3,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Yeah, a classic! One interesting thing about the soundtrack is that Captain Neo wasn't an original piece. It was from a game called Metal Soldier Isaac II (the first one was never released!), and was only being used as placeholder music during some trade show or location test. Ogura kept it in just because he liked it.

Because of this thread I've been doing some serious revisiting. I've been playing the Extra Version of the original Darius for some score-chasing. It's harder in places, but does away with the laborious milking techniques required to score well in the standard version by giving you an endgame bonus of 1mil per remaining life, which encourages you to aim for a 1LC instead. I've also been looking into something I've known about for years but never really tried: the terrifying All Stages (i.e. zones A-Z) mode in Darius Gaiden Extra, activated simply by playing on the 2P side. (I don't think I'm selling myself short to say I'm probably not clearing that.)
Interesting story behind that famous track...though hearing it now just makes me miss, "Warning A Huge Podcast". Oh well.

In terms of Darius Music (much of it I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with despite playing a few of the games), I'm partial to this one from Chronicle Saviors, and this boss music from G-Darius because holy shit does it ever fit those crazy fights PERFECTLY!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2094  
Old 04-23-2018, 04:19 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Excellent choices! Yeah, B.T. Dutch is an awesome piece. I love the clunkiness of the opening, the mechanical rasping and wheezing sounds suggesting the immense size of Queen Fossil/Fire Fossil. The final-stage music, Kimera II, is also great - a perfect elegy for the destroyed planet.

From the Burst soundtracks, I've always been fond of Fast Lane and Depature. The latter manages to sound mournful in spite of all the jazz-fusion cheese!

Edit: how do people share so much Taito stuff? I've had two YT accounts shut down for uploading a few Metal Black tunes.

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-23-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2095  
Old 04-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Riot.EXE's Avatar
Riot.EXE Riot.EXE is offline
Vigilante All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Posts: 3,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Excellent choices! Yeah, B.T. Dutch is an awesome piece. I love the clunkiness of the opening, the mechanical rasping and wheezing sounds suggesting the immense size of Queen Fossil/Fire Fossil. The final-stage music, Kimera II, is also great - a perfect elegy for the destroyed planet.

From the Burst soundtracks, I've always been fond of Fast Lane and Depature. The latter manages to sound mournful in spite of all the jazz-fusion cheese!

Edit: how do people share so much Taito stuff? I've had two YT accounts shut down for uploading a few Metal Black tunes.
Both those tracks were dope as fuck!
Reply With Quote
  #2096  
Old 04-24-2018, 02:19 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Reply With Quote
  #2097  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Riot.EXE's Avatar
Riot.EXE Riot.EXE is offline
Vigilante All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Posts: 3,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Yeah, heard about that earlier today. Looking forward to gettin' it.
Reply With Quote
  #2098  
Old 04-26-2018, 05:17 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Interested in Tyrant Takes on the EDF 4.1 STG, if anybody's buying it. I'm intrigued, but expect it proudly continues the series' "rough around the edges, but ironically" schtick, which wouldn't be much fun in a shooter, imo...

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-28-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2099  
Old 04-28-2018, 02:31 AM
Klatrymadon's Avatar
Klatrymadon Klatrymadon is offline
Frightful Hobgoblin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Area 26-10
Posts: 3,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
I've been playing the Extra Version of the original Darius for some score-chasing. It's harder in places, but does away with the laborious milking techniques required to score well in the standard version by giving you an endgame bonus of 1mil per remaining life, which encourages you to aim for a 1LC instead.
Remaining lives contribute so much to your score that in spite of this version's clamping down on milking I reckon I can break 10m with a bit more work. Grab the extends in zones M and X (these do a lot of the heavy lifting), don't die, don't miss too many waves and you should be all set. I think Extra is the better version overall, especially for score-play. It cuts out what few things made the original one a slog and encourages a more risk-taking, aggressive style.

Also practicing Darius II (two-screen version), and Grand Octopus is griefing the fuck out of me. The mini-octos he throws out are probably the hardest obstacle to deal with in the entire game. The trick is to herd them up and off the screen and ignore the big guy (you'll eventually kill him with your odd stray shots), but half the time they'll just fire behind themselves/back down at you, so it's always an unpredictable fight. The game also differs from every other Darius in that you lose not just a power level but all of your power-ups upon dying, so there's no real chance of recovery from a death at that point (or any other, really). Still, I'm almost there!

Edit: managed a no-miss clear on the lower Z/Bio Strong route! Finally taking out Grand Octopus without losing everything was exhilarating. What a pig. I followed this up with a quick and dirty 1CC of the Euro version, Sagaia. It's a heavily truncated iteration that's much easier throughout, except for perhaps at the last zone (my final zone was O), and I'm pretty sure the tougher bosses (if not all of the bosses) have about half their original health.

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 04-30-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2100  
Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM
ShakeWell's Avatar
ShakeWell ShakeWell is offline
Slammaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Our Nation's Capital
Posts: 6,021
Default

Heyyyyyyyy Talking Time, apologies if I'm threadjacking, but I've been playing even more shoot-'em-ups than normal lately, and I've been giving some serious thought to getting an arcade stick, but most "build a stick" help guides online are for fighting games. But here's the thing: I won't use it all that much to play fighting games. I'll use it more for beat-'em-ups and shoot-'em-ups. So... help?

My thoughts so far are that I want a bat-top joystick, because it's what I'm most used to, and I'd like concave buttons, but my research tells me that only one manufacturer (Happ) really makes concave buttons and they don't fit right in most stick bases. I'm not handy with tools, I'd make a mess out of that stuff, so I'll probably just go with Sanwa buttons, even if they're not concave. Currently leaning towards the Mayflash F300, because it's compatible with so many systems, including the Switch, which is fast becoming my old games machine, it's not too much of a spend, and it's apparently very easy to swap the buttons and the stick with Sanwa parts. Does the hivemind have any thoughts? (Also, if there is a thread for this specifically, please feel free to tell me to fuck off over to it. Thx.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
analysis , bullet purgatory , go play battle garegga , longhairs , make your time , preplanned destruction , she's downy soft now , shmups , shoot-em-up , shooting-them-ups , touhou is easy modo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007