The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Yes, let's feast!

That is unfortunate. I did have the problem of curses clogging a small hand before I picked up Snecko Eye, which is another way that synergized well with the deck I had. What were your boss relics?
Old 03-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Bob

The one I remember is the Bell, which gives you three curses and three relics. Obviously, this is really good for this particular challenge run! I should probably screencap more of my failed runs just to talk about them. I prefer the Silent over the Ironclad just because I find his options more intriguing/less straightforward.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Today's daily: All Star (start with two "colorless" cards - the few cards not specific to a character), Time Dilation (all enemies start with the Slow debuff, making them take extra damage the more cards you play in a turn), and Night Terrors (resting gives 100% health but costs 5 max HP).

Night Terrors is kind of a bear when combined with "no upgrading at campsites," since you forcibly lose 5 HP at each campsite, and there's a forced campsite before the boss of each area. I think resting is a sucker's game most of the time anyway, and when I'm desperate enough to rest, I would probably be fine with that exchange.

And so I ended up resting exactly once: right before the final boss. (Time Eater -- again.) I went with a Rupture deck (gain 1 Strength when you damage yourself) that didn't have much defense at all, and I never got any relics that increased my energy or card draw, so by all rights, it shouldn't have worked -- and yet. I got two relics that made survival possible: Orichalcum (6 Block if you don't have any at the end of your turn) and Singing Bowl (you can choose to gain +2 HP instead of a card). Singing Bowl was especially nice since I didn't find much in the back half of the game that fit my deck.

There was a content update yesterday, so this is the first daily that hasn't had just one positive modifier: All Star and Time Dilation are both marked as "good," even though All Star was middling at best, and Night Terrors is not really bad on its own. I wouldn't have noticed there was an update except that one of the cards that changed showed up very early in the run.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:54 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I got my Ironclad Ascension 1 win today with a Block deck. This is a really fun deck archetype. There are a few key cards in this deck:
  • Barricade (Block no longer wears off at the start of your turn): This is probably the most important card if you want to run a Block deck, and it's pretty useless in anything else. This is what lets you stack absurd amounts of Block. The upgrade takes the cost from 3 to 2, which is very helpful in making the card playable.
  • Body Slam (Deal damage equal to your current Block): While not as vital as Barricade, the value is obvious, and when upgraded, this card goes from 1 energy to 0, making it a decent pick even outside the Block archetype. You can easily get by with a single copy of Body Slam, but you won't regret having more.
  • Entrench (Double your current Block): While Entrench is not, strictly speaking, necessary, it's what takes the Block archetype from "viable" to "ridiculous." Again, the upgrade reduces the cost from 2 to 1. Like Barricade, Entrench isn't very good in other decks.

In the B-tier of cards that are good to have but not nearly as centralizing:
  • Juggernaut (Anytime you gain Block, deal 3 damage to a random enemy): At 2 energy, this is a little too costly to recommend. The upgrade bumps it to 5 damage, but honestly, the incremental difference isn't huge.
  • Rage (Whenever you play an Attack this turn, gain 3 Block): This card was recently revised, and now it's free. That makes it a great opener and a nice way to add a little Block as you do damage. The upgrade takes it to 5 Block, which feels more worthwhile than Juggernaut.
  • Impervious (30 Block; Exhaust): The limiting factor with this card is that you can only play it once per combat, but that really doesn't matter when you have Barricade up. The upgrade takes it to 40 Block. That's obviously pretty good, but I kind of think that any battle that goes on long enough for the extra 10 to matter would benefit more from having a different card upgraded.
  • Metallicize (At the end of your turn, gain 3 Block): While Metallicize isn't especially good under normal circumstances, it feels like really good value once Barricade is up and running. The upgrade gives 4 Block. I had two upgraded copies in my deck, giving me a free 8 Block per turn.
  • Iron Wave (5 Block; Deal 5 damage): I probably overvalue Iron Wave, but in a Block deck, the tidy package of Block and damage feels really nice, especially with Juggernaut or Rage active. The upgrade takes it to 7 and 7, which is take-it-or-leave-it.

The limitation of the Block deck is that it's slow. You might imagine that Block is one of the safest archetypes you could run, but you end up being a bit vulnerable while you get set up, especially against multiple enemies that a standard deck could quickly narrow down. I was lucky to get the vampire event with the Blood Vial in hand, giving me a renewable source of healing that works much better in a Block deck than elsewhere: you don't really mind that you're dealing low damage with Bite, because you're not taking any in the meantime.

The really nice thing about this deck is that it doesn't need any relics to work. Kunai is probably useful for Dexterity, but not that useful, since you're really not playing many attacks. You might just get more mileage out of Oddly Polished Stone for a guaranteed 1 Dexterity. Bottled Tornado could be good for ensuring early access to Barricade, but it's not necessary. The Ironclad's starting relic is one of the better ones here, ensuring a little healing after each combat.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:42 PM
The Great

You're missing True Grit and Feel No Pain there. Both are pretty huge block generators, especially the latter.

Targeted exhaust from True Grit+ is really good even without Feel No Pain in play, since you're burning out stuff like basic Strikes/Defends and curses to let you play the actually good cards more often. But even without True Grit, Feel No Pain is kind of insane, since almost 1/3 of all Ironclad cards self-exhaust, and getting 6 block per FnP in addition to their normal effects gets out of hand really quickly.

Throw in a Corruption and/or Dead Branch for even more funtimes.

EDIT: Also FnP works when Daze exhausts itself, trivializing a bunch of encounters, including one of the final bosses.

Last edited by SpoonyGundam; 03-31-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Bob

Today's daily is 50 card deck, whenever you choose to get a card you get two copies of it, and there is only one path through the game. Turns out replacing all your bad starter deck cards with good cards is good, especially when you keep taking Perfected Strikes to go up to ridiculous damage! Also, although upgrading cards is generally less useful when your deck is 75 cards large, upgrading cards that gain "Innate" is super useful! Innate Brutality in a big deck is pretty good.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I missed yesterday's daily, though it looked relatively uninteresting. I did get in a Silent run with a Block-focused deck, which plays very differently than the Ironclad variant.

Today's daily: Ironclad with Insanity (50 random cards), Certain Future (the map has only one path), and Hoarder (you acquire three copies of every card you gain, and you can't remove cards at the merchant). These are all categorized as negative modifiers, although Insanity gives you a stronger start at the very least, and Hoarder might be a good thing in an Insanity run. Certain Future is bad, but it's at least the same bad for everyone doing the run.

It's at this point I should mention that I have no idea how to score attack this game, especially in Certain Future. Someone clearly does, because the first 20 scores range from 1325 to 1006. I don't think I've ever cracked 900.

The starting deck suggested a few possible approaches. Barricade plus a couple Entrenches had me thinking Block, but access to Barricade was a potential issue.

I ended up going with a Perfected Strike deck. For 2 energy, Perfected Strike deals 6 damage plus 2 damage for all of your cards with "Strike" in their name. When upgraded, it's +3 instead of +2. Perfected Strike is not, generally speaking, a very good card, but when you get three copies of each card, it's not difficult to stack up that damage. Now, you normally start with five basic Strike cards in your deck, and I didn't have that advantage, but I did end up with 24 "Strike" cards, including 7 Perfected Strike and 6 Perfected Strike+. I also found Snecko Eye for randomized card costs, which was helpful for making Perfected Strike sometimes cheaper.

After a very easy run, I noticed that you get 20 points for each curse in your deck. This is one way to rack up a good chunk of points in a Hoarder daily. I ended with a modest 854, but I could've gotten a lot more curses if I'd been so inclined. (They probably wouldn't have lost me the game.) I'm not so sure I want to get into srs bsns score runs, though.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Bob

you completely ignored my post
Old 04-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Yes, let's feast!

You posted it while I was playing, and I started writing mine when I started playing! So I did not see it! But now I will read it!

And I read it, and now I feel a bit foolish!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 PM
disguised king of surfing

spire is too op, will not be slain, please advise
Old 04-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Don't feel like you always need to take a card. Fight elites. Upgrade instead of resting whenever possible. Do not take damage. Slay the Spire.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 PM

I think it's that first one that usually gets me.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Dinger!

In general, prefer powers, cards that draw, and cards that give you energy. Remove cards from your deck when given the option.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Today's daily: Silent with Draft (exactly what it sounds like), Lethality (everything gets +3 Strength), Vintage (enemies drop relics instead of cards).

Draft is brand new! Silent loves Strength! Vintage is always fun! I am hyped!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Yep, easy daily. Turns out starting with a drafted deck rather than your starter deck is a free pass through most of the game. Vintage is a free pass for the rest.

Due to a combination of Pen Nib and Ice Cream, I ended up killing the last boss with a Skewer that dealt 450 damage. That is almost but not quite its full health total.

I scored around 850 again, which was good enough for a mid-1000th place yesterday but landed me in the mid-3000s today. This was my first sub-hour run, though!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:57 PM
Dinger!

I would have won today's daily, but a combination of taking the Runic Dome and being an idiot got me killed on the final boss.

But yeah, Draft + Vintage is amazing. You get 15 good cards and then relics for days. I think I beat every fight before the first boss in a single turn each.

I also ran into one of the new events, which gives cards that grant Intangible in exchange for losing 50% max HP. That's also part of why I lost.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 PM
EARTH FOREVER

I scored 1084? I think on the daily. It's definitely an easy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I also ran into one of the new events, which gives cards that grant Intangible in exchange for losing 50% max HP. That's also part of why I lost.
I almost won with that one the other day. I also had the doll that gives you + strength for each curse, plus a few curses. It was...inadvisable. It helps if you upgrade the Intangibles. Then you can just discard them at the end of your turn without exhausting them if you draw duplicates.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:12 PM
The Great

First reaction to the daily: Oh, it's probably really easy to make an infinite deck with Draft.

And it was!

Then I got to the last boss and remembered why infinite decks aren't actually a good idea in this. I think that's the first time I lost to Time Eater? Still scored around 900.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
I scored 1084?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
Still scored around 900.
Tell me your secrets

Today daily: The Silent with All Star (start with two colorless cards), Terminal (lose 1 max HP/room, start combats with 5 Plated Armor), Cursed Run (curses, but they are good maybe?).

Seems pretty standard. Cursed Run is better on Silent than Ironclad, since Silent appreciates the Strength bonus more. Darkstone Periapt from Cursed Run helps counteract the HP loss from Terminal a bit.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:10 PM

Gah, I made it all the way to the last boss on the daily, but all of my Block-generating cards were at the bottom of the deck so I died.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I was one round away from a flawless run on today's final boss, which would have put me over the threshold, but I'll have to settle for 966, which is probably a personal high score anyway. That puts me at 259th for now, which is also a personal best. I discovered in the process that it's not 20 points per curse; it's just 100 points for having at least five curses.

Just a really solid deck in this one. The starting colorless cards were Panache (deal 10 damage to all enemies every time you play 5 cards in a turn) and Bandage Up (heal 4 and exile the card). Bandage Up was unnecessary -- the plated armor from Terminal provides all the sustain you need -- but Panache is always nice to have. The last boss today was Awakened One, which worked really well with a Panache deck.

Besides "play lots of cards," I had a decent poison deck. I took an early Crippling Poison (3 poison, 3 weak), which is a card I'd overlooked. Is it good? Well, it's good when you have Specimen (dead enemies give their poison to someone else) and Paper Krane (Weak enemies deal 50% damage instead of 75%). A poison deck in a run that gives you Strength might not have been advisable, but it ended up working really well.

The other relic MVP today was Tough Bandages (when you discard, gain 3 Block). Toss your hand away with Calculated Gamble for a nice chunk of Block and a fresh outlook on life.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:02 PM

i did it finally

it only took me 15 games
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Time for more Spire-slaying.

Today: Ironclad with Shiny (start with a rare card), Certain Future (just one path), and Hoarder (get three copies of everything). So... you start with three rare cards.

Those three rare cards are Impervious: 30 Block for 2 energy, then the card self-exiles. The first battle drops Body Slam, which deals damage equal to your current Block. So... this daily is a slam-dunk.

A few battles later, and Barricade is up for offer. I'm thinking, do I really want three copies of Barricade? And the answer is no, but it's also yes.

And then I did a stupid thing and took Pandora's Box (transform all your Strikes and Defends). Guess what happens when you take Pandora's Box under Hoarder. Suddenly, you have a 40-card deck.

I cobbled together a win thanks to Barricade, Feel No Pain (Block when you exile cards), and Corruption (skills are free but they get exiled), but the second area was really touch-and-go, taking heavy damage in each encounter but surviving by the good graces of my post-battle healing relics. I had a moment of panic when I reached the last area and realized I was gonna eat it if the boss was Awakened One, but nah, it was Time Eater.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Dinger!

I've now gotten to the final boss with Ironclad on Ascension 7 at least three times. Then I get destroyed. Although, I think one of those loses was from stupidly using Offering when I had 4 HP left. Still though. The higher Ascension levels are really hard.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 PM

meanwhile, all the way down here on 'what is an ascension even':

Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Another week, another content patch. Today's daily is affected: Ironclad with Diverse (used to give 2 cards from another class, now it just adds everyone's cards to the pool, and your starting character really doesn't matter), Binary (choose from two cards instead of three when gaining cards), and Night Terrors (resting heals 100% but costs 5 max HP).

Other daily mods reworked: All Star gives 5 colorless cards (was 2), and Shiny gives every rare card (was one random rare). Also, the Specimen is no longer a boss relic, which will make it harder to acquire.

The new Diverse seems kinda bad at first glance. Let's see how it plays.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Bob

Can confirm, pretty awful.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Yes, let's feast!

So. Wow.

I won, but only by the good graces of a very timely Pen Nib.

And even then, it was the poison damage that finished the job. (Good thing Awakened One's regen ticks after the poison.) Even with 34 Strength, I just barely squeaked that one out.

My score was 717, which clocks in at "abysmal," but a win's a win. The streak lives.

I've never not regretted taking Runic Pyramid (you no longer discard at end of turn, but you draw 1 fewer card). You always run up against your hand limit with a hand full of junk. In this case, I had about seven Powers I dared not play against Awakened One. (The two I bothered using were Demon Form and Metallicize, and Metallicize was arguably a mistake.)

It's hard to say whether this was a bad run or Diverse is really just a terrible mod, but I'm leaning toward "a little of both." As my health total indicates, I had to rest twice. I think Binary wasn't doing Diverse any favors. I just couldn't put together a cohesive deck today.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
and Metallicize was arguably a mistake.
considering you lived with three whole HP

it almost definitely was not a mistake
Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Awakened One gains 2 Strength every time you play a Power in its first phase, so it's not clear-cut. It seemed good at the time, though.