The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
What was the last "good" Level-5 game, Dragon Quest IX? Most everything I've played since has been "its good, but...[dealbreaker]" since. Just trying to get a feel for if this has some weird shortcoming too.
I seem to recall Fantasy Life being well-received.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Objection!

And even if you want to say it's light combat was a [dealbreaker], the LBX and Inazuma 11 games are very good. Yo-Kai Watch is INCREDIBLY popular.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:45 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Put in about three hours tonight. Solid so far but nothing mind-blowing. Beautiful game that reminds me of Dragon Quest in more ways that one. Narrative is a bit darker than I expected, which is fine. Combat is fun if repetitive. At this point it's been a brisk experience; not as sloggy as Ni No Kuni 1. More item management than I was expecting in terms of gear. I wouldn't say the game is lousy with loot pinatas but it throws a lot of gear at you, most of which is just vendor fodder.

Also, an easy game? Mind I'm only three hours in but I remember Ni No Kuni being relatively challenging early on and so far this game has been a cakewalk.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:32 AM

Yeah, outside of the initial castle area standard enemies have been too easy.

Also, I said earlier I liked the sparse voice acting, and I still do, but the comments they make while youíre running around should have been voiced.

I really liked the simple and effective characterization of Aranella who we only really see for around ten minutes! We learn from her actions that she is a complete badass, and from a short conversation that she must have been a renowned warrior at some point who was asked to guard the prince. The prince is surprised to learn that she is so good at fighting, as sheís never once had to guard him due to the peace they all enjoyed. Instead we see from his flashback as he thinks heís lost her that she acted as a surrogate mother, and a teacher throughout his life. She is smiling warmly in every image from the flashback, truly enjoying no longer having to be a warrior. This all comes crashing down in the coup and she dies tragically, sucked back in to her warrior life, and protecting the kid she has grown to love. She was good and I liked her.

The design of the black knight was killer. Darth Mickey Mouse! Love it.

Edit: Youíre right, Fourso, the game thus far appears to be going for a Dragon Quest inspired less-is-more approach to story telling. It is a welcome approach in a genre of overly talky boredom simulators.

Last edited by Wendell; 03-24-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 AM

Higgeldies are cute, and I like that the loading screen is them shaking their penis at me.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 AM

Look at this fuckiní guy! 10/10, game of the year.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 AM

This game bangs. Only played for like 2 hours but Iím havin loads of fun. Combat feels very fast and fun and, obviously, it looks vERY good. The higgledies are my new best friends
Old 03-24-2018, 09:45 AM

If you explore the map there are actual things to find. The treasures are obvious, but there are caves and forests that the game doesnít appear to force you to visit just waiting to be explored!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
If you explore the map there are actual things to find. The treasures are obvious, but there are caves and forests that the game doesnít appear to force you to visit just waiting to be explored!
😱 I canít wait to play more. Also that overworld music is *chefs kiss*. Sometimes a game just hits at the right time for me, and that has majorly happened here. Defs helps that Iím a huge Ghibli/Joe Hisaishi fan, but this hame is literally like a big old warm blanket
Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Maybe the game will force me to go to them eventually, but if it does then having found them on my own first felt nice.

Youíre right about that over world music! That it is seemingly performed by a real orchestra makes it even nicer.

Regarding what I said about it being too easy, there are definitely some tough battles out there (manticore are nuts!), and they are more fun. Makes me wish I could turn the difficulty up a bit though.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Old 03-24-2018, 12:44 PM

Hahaha
Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by impressions from me, from a discord I post in
I haven't unlocked the georama/citybuilding stuff yet, but combat and exploration is simple yet also sort of involved if you really want to engage with it
or at least it appears it will be that way later on
field abilities/etc sort of carryover from the first game, and there's all sorts of chests and optional little areas to find if you explore in dungeon/world maps
combat starts as a fairly basic arpg, light/strong strikes, guards/evades, four assignable skills to RT + face buttons
the complexity seems to be with your weapon and higgledy (little elemental dudes) loadouts
weapons (3 melee + 1 ranged) affect damage and add elements/etc
the higgledy's sort of run around the combat field and can either activate combat support abilities (healing/mini cannons/etc) or they can link with a character's skills depending on a number of factors and change/power up teh skill
each melee weapon has a rapidly building charge gauge that when it hits 100% will super power your next skill or alter it sort of like the higgledy's
that expends the charge and you switch to the next weapon, so on and so for
Old 03-24-2018, 04:50 PM

Everything that happens in (and I am spoiling this in case you donít want to know what area awesome things happen in) Goldpaw is amazing. All of it! SO good.

I havenít even unlocked kingdom building yet after 7 or so hours, but I am looking forward to it! The game has really grown on me.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:22 AM

Lool @ the Lisa fairy, not even met that dude yet. Wonder how they compare to the very high standard of Mr. Drippy?

Still not had chance to play more - but this evening! And can I just say, I think this game has my favourite cel shading stuff going on that Iíve seen. In my head T.E. first and second looked pretty identical but then I went back and looked at some footage from the first and thereís actually a huge improvement! I mean 1 still look deece but in 2 they totally nailed the look. Noice
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Yeah, itís definitely a great look.

Now then, kingdom building: ITíS FABULOUS.

You do some War/Starcraft-esque facility building, which in turn unlocks the ability to build other things. From weapons, to armour, to things that effect the gameplay. But you canít do this without citizens to run the facilities! So you go out and recruit some, and they each have their own little backstory and a completely unique look. They will appear in your kingdom, you can chat them up as you walk around, and you can assign them to jobs. Itís pretty Suikoden-ish.

I feel confident now in answering TheSLís question. Itís a fantastic game, BUT itís pretty easy. Playing as anyone but Roland makes it harder though, Iíve found. Itís a small but.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Fighting stuff around the same level as you is always going to be pretty easy. For a real challenge you have to fight stuff 6-10 levels above you, and beyond that point gear/stat scaling is going to bone you in terms of giving out and taking damage.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:37 AM
I <3 janeelle morae

Quote:

BORT SAMSON???

EDIT: aw, dang, there was a whole other page of replies. Ah well, in those famous words, "don't a cowperson"
Old 03-25-2018, 11:41 AM
of the Black Falcons

From toe to tip, heís just like Bart!
Old 03-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Lichotaur

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
BORT SAMSON???
Bart Like an Egyptian
Old 03-26-2018, 10:44 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

this game is incredibly charming and yes, it's pretty damn easy

the characters animation and cel shading look really great. I need to go back to NNK1 and check out the actual backgrounds though - I seem to remember the backgrounds from NNK1 being more lush. Some of the early environments look a little cheap but after you get out into the world it improves. Goldpaw looks fantastic.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:27 AM
The metal babble flees!

I don't remember the Dark Cloud games being all that difficult, either*. The main appeal of L5's games, from these to Fantasy Life to Rogue Galaxy, is low-impact action-RPG with shit-tons of stuff to do. I'm going to get this one for just those things, and expect to enjoy myself immensely.

*the thirst mechanic made DC1 kind of a hassle, admittedly.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:37 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

So far, the only thing that provides a significant challenge is opening a Dream Maze Door (or whatever they're called) and allowing the difficulty level to tick upward. I let it get to level 3 at one point in my first attempt and the regular enemies were about 12 levels above me.

The kingdom building is the kind of Sim-lite stuff I enjoy immensely. I was having fun with the game before but it may have its claws in me now.

After a string of Serious Business JRPGs, I'm quite alright with NNK2 being a laid-back, breezy adventure.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:21 PM

I wish I had taken a screenshot, because in Hydropolis Lofty dresses up as Guillermo del Toro (!!!!!) to direct a fake marriage proposal between Evan and Tani.

Once you have seen The Funny Scene in Hydropolis you can safely check that spoiler and we can smile about it together.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Just got the quest to head to find a shipwright to go to Hydropolis. Spent some time leveling up my Higgledies last night and putting people to work. Also got sidetracked by a shit-ton of side quests in Goldpaw and, really, how amazing is Goldpaw?
Old 03-27-2018, 04:36 PM

Very amazing!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:47 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

It may not be quite as visually arresting as Goldpaw but, oh my lawd, the music in Hydropolis is incredible.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 AM
The metal babble flees!

I got this just yesterday, so have only been to a couple of the major areas. So far, so fun!

The scenery backdrops are quite cool. I love the character designs but am so-so on the cel shading.

Combat's quick and breezy and is just the right level where it's neither overwhelming nor boring. I have a handful of higgledies now so should probably figure out how to best use them in concert with my weapons, but so far it hasn't seemed necessary.

The side areas offer tantalizing hints of future activities. One had a free-standing door that couldn't be opened, and another was just a big room with a single chest in it and nothing else.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Are You Sure About That?

A lot of the little caves/forest areas/etc are used in sidequests, and the doors are related to another sidequest/game subsystem.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 AM
The metal babble flees!

This is the best time I've had with a Level 5 game since Dark Cloud 2. Loving it.

Tags
2 no ku2 , level-5 , lofty ambitions , ni no kuni , ni no twoni