The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Ni No Kuni 2: Cute AND Good?

Ni No Kuni 2 is releasing March 23rd, 2018, on PS4 and Steam. It is by Level 5, who I think have made a number of fabulous games. It's got totally gorgeous Ghibli art, a soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi, and a number of cool systems including kingdom building and strategy warfare. It is not a direct sequel to the first game, so prior knowledge is not required.

Here are the main three characters! There are presumably more!

Evan, the little blonde guy, is the young king of this game's realm, which is in tatters for whatever reason. He is the main character, and much of the game seems to be about restoring the land and helping its people.

Roland, the taller one with a sword, is the 48 year old president of a country in the "real" world, but has found himself in the magical world of Ni No Kuni, where he is physically 20 years old again and can work up the courage to rock a ponytail.

Tani, the adventurous looking young girl, was abandoned as a baby and raised by sky pirates.

The game's battle system is action RPG style. Press a button to swing your weapon.

There's kingdom building! Remember how enjoyable that was in Dark Cloud 2? 'course ya do!

Both the overworld and strategy battles (pictured) feature chibi characters. The strategy battles look to be fast paced and actiony.

Here are a couple more screenshots which looked better before I resized them, but still demonstrate that this game looks NOICE:

Here's a video that goes into more detail about the kingdom building and the battles:

Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Gotta Boogie!

I still need to play the first one.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Outraged!

The first one bored me to tears, unfortunately. But youíve intrigued me with your sweet talk of kingdom building. This looks pretty different.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I know the first one's got a rep for being boring, but I'm hopeful they've learned.

Edit: I mean, do you know how many seconds it took me to edit those three character art images into one?! They better not have made me waste my time!!!!
Old 03-03-2018, 11:28 AM

This game does indeed look gorgeous! The protagonists look neat and everything about the gameplay seems solid so far.

I was keenly interested in the original Ni No Kuni back in the day but everything I learned researching it pushed me to pass on it unfortunately. I've got no probs jumping in with the sequel though if it gets a good reception.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I loved the first game, warts and all, so I'll likely be jumping on this. It's kind of dumb they aged the 40-something down.

I don't think Ghibli is involved, though they're definitely aping that style.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 AM
of the Black Falcons

I liked the first one enough to play for about 20 hours, then decided I had enough and put it down. Overall I had a positive impression. Not sure if Iíll check out the sequel, but maybe down the road.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:59 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I enjoyed the first one but I didn't play much of it because I was never big on the PS3 and we didn't get the DS game in the states. I'll be picking this one up at launch provided I can make it through these umpteen other RPGs I'm working through (which are all replays now that I think of it so it's not like I couldn't put them down).
Old 03-03-2018, 01:28 PM
oh my car

Did they remove the entire battle system from the first game and replace it with a good one?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
The first one bored me to tears, unfortunately. But youíve intrigued me with your sweet talk of kingdom building. This looks pretty different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Did they remove the entire battle system from the first game and replace it with a good one?
Both of these.

I'll most likely rent it then decide. I'm hopeful though!
Old 03-03-2018, 02:42 PM

I believe they did remove the entire battle system, though I canít say if the replacement is a good one yet!
Old 03-03-2018, 04:16 PM

I watched this video, it gives a quick rundown of what to expect in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjNYHp9zmiM
Old 03-04-2018, 01:25 AM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

I mostly just want to know why King Evan has ears and a tail.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Objection!

Because it's adorable.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:53 AM

Yeah, just take away the question mark from the threadís title and thereís your answer.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:04 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

I quit the first one after 5-10 hours, but hearing they got rid of familiars and have a faster-paced battle system has me interested in this. I doubt I get it at launch, if only because I got a lot on my plate right now, but I'll keep an eye out later this year if I can find it for cheap.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

Oh okay. I can accept that.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:57 AM
GRAPE=NUTS

Could also be a metaphor thing - looks like cat ears and a cat tail. Combined with his hair, it gives him a lion-esque look.

Also, the action combat system combined with Roland means I might have to get this game.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Serial Thread Killer

I don't own a PS4, didn't play the last game, and probably won't be playing this game, but damn I wish I could.

This looks way more my bag than the previous one. Action combat by Level 5? Yes please.

Even if its literally just Dark Cloud again, I'll take it over...whatever the last combat system was.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 AM

Reviews are coming in now and are unsurprisingly positive, since big budget games donít get bad reviews.

One thing that stood out to me was this light complaint from the Kotaku review,

Quote:
Even for a fairy tale, this game is naive to the point of parody. Every challenge in the game can be overcome with sheer willpower. Every villain can be convinced to see the light. Everybody wants to serve Evan the boy-king, and all of his decisions are good and pure. But the game is just so charming, so fun, and so delightful to play, that itís easy to get over that. Itís easy to get sucked in.
I might think differently when I experience it myself, but right now when I read that all I think is, ďgood!Ē A relentlessly upbeat and positive story with those beautiful bright colours and cartoony designs? Yes, good, GREAT.

Edit: It is around 30-40 hours long.

Last edited by Wendell; 03-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Reviews are coming in now and are unsurprisingly positive, since big budget games donít get bad reviews.
Mass Effect Andromeda says hello

The Polygon review is super positive! I'm really looking forward to playing this one.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Are You Sure About That?

It was also super evident that ME:A had been fucked over by EA corporate mucking with the development process.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Obsession or passion?

This looks really really good. I liked the first one and didn't have have any problem with it, but I also don't mind that they're changing up things in this one. Having two different flavors of Ni no Kuni (3 if you count the DS version) sounds like a good thing.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:44 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

My copy has shipped!

Guess I should try and finish FF9. I don't know if I have the attention span any more to play two RPGs at once.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Mass Effect Andromeda says hello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
It was also super evident that ME:A had been fucked over by EA corporate mucking with the development process.
And let's not forget that Mass Effect: Andromeda was also handled by a new team, had a bunch of leads leave the project, recreated everything from scratch for a new game engine...

Anyway, will definitely be getting Ni No Kuni 2 at some point.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
And let's not forget that Mass Effect: Andromeda was also handled by a new team, had a bunch of leads leave the project, recreated everything from scratch for a new game engine...

Anyway, will definitely be getting Ni No Kuni 2 at some point.
yes, I understand why Andromeda got poor reviews - I played it and it's a pile of lukewarm oatmeal, and i've read those same articles that you did about where things went wrong. My point is that big budget AAA games can get bad reviews if they're bad enough.

ANYWAY our copy has been delivered and I get to leave work early and play and aaaaaahhhhh yussss
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 PM

The music editing in the opening cutscene is amateurish. It will play a few seconds of a song, and then the music cuts when the camera does. Itís jarring! Just use one continuous music track!

I really like the decision to not voice every line of dialogue. Being able to just read the text boxes is pretty great, and zippy. Save voices for cutscenes, I say.

The battle system feels very good thus far, crisp and responsive. It appears I was wrong about Evan being the lead though, as Roland is the only character Iíve been able to control at this point.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
My point is that big budget AAA games can get bad reviews if they're bad enough.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I just thought it was worth noting that there were numerous factors that contributed to its mediocrity and severe technical issues.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 PM

A small thing I like: Rolandís descending stairs animation is flawless.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:45 PM
World of Darkness Returns

What was the last "good" Level-5 game, Dragon Quest IX? Most everything I've played since has been "its good, but...[dealbreaker]" since. Just trying to get a feel for if this has some weird shortcoming too.

Tags
2 no ku2 , level-5 , lofty ambitions , ni no kuni , ni no twoni