The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-31-2018, 08:26 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I got the GOOD DOG.

He pissed off a bull that almost killed me, then stood in the middle of a fire which I then had to run into in order to revive him.

He is a good dog, but he is not a smart dog.

Speaking of bulls: During the Teste Festy mission when you have to kill the bull while it's mating, so you release the cows I almost lost it when the slow jam started playing. Grade A humor.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Tip: If you don't want the game to skip story missions, focus on doing those before other activities in the territory that increase your resistance meter.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Tip: If you don't want the game to skip story missions, focus on doing those before other activities in the territory that increase your resistance meter.
I'm not playing this game, but....what? You can end up missing story missions based on doing other stuff?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:37 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

Kinda?

The game works like the Saints Row spinoff, Gat out of Hell, where most activities you perform fill up a bar, and whenever it hits certain levels the main plot advances, whether you want it to or not. I haven't liberated any of the territories yet, so I don't know about all the more thorough missions disappear when you do.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Mr. Jackpots

The first story mission in John's region is called Fall's End, where you liberate the town of the same name from the cult. Because it's an open world game, I ignored that and was just exploring, doing outposts and side missions and stuff. I went far enough that it triggered a story mission where I got captured and then escaped. Not too long after that (but not immediately after), I got a call on the radio from someone who told me the people of Fall's End were inspired by my example and freed the town themselves. The mission showed as completed in my journal. I youtube'd the mission and saw that I missed an extended shootout and a cutscene that introduced two characters, including the one who rescued me in the other story mission I mentioned.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:58 AM
jiggery-pokery

Yeah, I also missed the Fall's End mission. Which sucks, because I totally would have preferred doing that rather than chasing down the pee tape or blowing up a mine, but I didn't know you could miss things. And I assumed that liberating the town was going to be a big moment in the climax of the chapter, not the first thing you're supposed to do.

If you're interested in doing story missions, do those and don't liberate too many outposts or do side missions. As far as I'm aware, the side missions and outposts don't go away.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Liberating Fall's End is a fantastic setpiece and I'm sad you guys missed it.

I don"t think an open world game should punish you for exploring the open world.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Took down John. All in all it was a masterfully done sequence of events, but the dogfight was a bit frustrating.

I wonder if John's "Look who's in charge." line was a subtle dig at Trump.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I hate the way the main quest in this game is structured. Because of the earlier situation where a main mission was skipped, I have played in a paranoid fashion since, ignoring random events and side missions so I can focus on main missions only, only doing "optional" activities after a region is liberated and I can't worry about things skipping anymore. And whoever thought it would be fun to interrupt what the player is doing a dozen times over the course of the story so they can watch tedious cut scenes and play often empty or repetitive mandatory missions: you were wrong.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

It feels like a good idea poorly implemented. The other main gripe I have is that outposts seem to require a lot less strategy in this game. In 3 and 4 I had to carefully plan my attack and make heavy use of stealth and the environment. In 5 I can just run in and shotgun everyone in the face and win.

I still prefer it over 4 because it has taken risks 4 didn't, and the Seed clan is a much more compelling set of villains than Pagan Min and his cronies. But 5 stumbles too often, and there's the whole thing where 3 redefined an entire genre to where Zelda borrowed liberally from it. So yeah, at the moment 5 is better than 4, not as good as 3.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
It feels like a good idea poorly implemented.
What about it is a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
the Seed clan is a much more compelling set of villains than Pagan Min and his cronies.
I disagree.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
What about it is a good idea?
I liked the idea that helping out the more ancillary characters could also help push the story along, rather than having everything dictated to you by two or three "leader" characters. It just feels like a more natural progression. I just think they could have done it in a way that doesn't punish you for exploration by making you miss important story missions.

Quote:
I disagree.
The villain squad in 4 felt tacked-on. They mostly just left me cold. And Pagan Min was entertaining, but he wasn't very present, and beyond "witty, urbane sadist" there wasn't much to him. The Seeds permeate every aspect of Hope County, and their pathos just plays better than me.

Really 5 is lessening 4 in my eyes, while also making me truly appreciate 3. They're all good games, I just am finding 4 to be the weakest. (I have not played the first 2, so I'm going off the "2010s trilogy" here)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Mr. Jackpots

I don't have a problem with having multiple people give you missions in FC5. That has nothing to do with every activity moving forward a "resistance" meter that can skip content and triggers mandatory you've-been-captured missions literally a dozen times.

I don't really remember a "villain squad" in FC4, but Pagan Min himself was weird and interesting. Nobody in FC5 has anything noteworthy to say about anything. They just give you their trite tragic backstory which has no connection to anything they're actually doing in the modern day. And they get really close up in your face and stare at you and say everything with great. purpose. very. slowly.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
I don't really remember a "villain squad" in FC4, but Pagan Min himself was weird and interesting. Nobody in FC5 has anything noteworthy to say about anything. They just give you their trite tragic backstory which has no connection to anything they're actually doing in the modern day. And they get really close up in your face and stare at you and say everything with great. purpose. very. slowly.
You raise some good points, but I'm just enjoying The Father more than Pagan. I'm not really much invested in making people like the things I like about the game, and I'm glad to read your opinion since it'll give me some things to think about as I play the rest of the game.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Mr. Jackpots

To be clear, I like Far Cry 5, but I think the way it presents itself to you is awful.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:41 PM
:O

Quote:
I don't have a problem with having multiple people give you missions in FC5. That has nothing to do with every activity moving forward a "resistance" meter that can skip content and triggers mandatory you've-been-captured missions literally a dozen times.

Every cutscene in this game feels like its in an FMV game.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:36 PM
I am a Gundam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
Every cutscene in this game feels like its in an FMV game.
I'd play FMV Farcry. Cheeseburger is just a dog wearing a bear costume.

I'd explore this joke in more depth, but Cheeseburger is all I know about Farcry 5, really.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

So I googled whether there was a way to speed along day/night cycles like you could do in 4 and somehow the third or fourth result was a white supremacist goobergrump screed on change.org to get Ubi to cancel the game unless the villains were multicultural Muslims, or face potentially violent consequences.

Blech.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

The timed segments when Jacob captures you are the fucking worst.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I just got Peaches and I am genuinely miffed that I can only have two of my four legged friends accompany me at a time.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:10 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I've realized that my number one problem with Far Cry games is that they tend to drag on a few hours past when I'm ready to be done with them.

But I'm almost done, so might as well see it through.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Finished it. this would be my favorite Far Cry, except that both endings are unearned, cheap nihilism. I chose to resist, and was severely irritated by the non-payoff. Then I watched the other ending.

Either way, the end of Far Cry 5 is bad and the devs should feel bad.

Tags
poochy smooches , richard wayne gary wayne , secret wolfenstein thread