The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 02-12-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
And by "nebulous creators" I mean everyone directly responsible for conveying those consumer-oriented messages, from the actual artists and authors, to the publishers, to the marketing teams, to the franchise owners who demand profit from the property. I'm not sure whether Tomino ever complained to Bandai about glamorizing the Principality of Zeon with all the Gundam toys, but the history of the franchise doesn't suggest he had much of a problem with it.
Tomino's relationship with his own work and his toy-maker overlords is actually fascinating, and even a shallow dive into the history of that shows he demonstrably had a huge problem with it.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam clearly has some problems with regards to presenting Nazis as Cool Actually, but most of the evidence points towards that being accidental/not properly thought out versus a conscious effort to appropriate Nazi imagery for profit. Beyond the ample testimonials as to the friction between Tomino and the executives of Sunrise/Bandai, you can see it reflected in the form subsequent Gundam sequels take. The fascists depicted are increasingly removed of anything that makes them appear cool, the robots themselves become increasingly bizarre/grotesque/hard to adapt to toy-form, and the delineation between good and bad and the themes of the shows are increasingly given the subtlety of a jackhammer. And fan favorite Nazis like Char Aznable get character assassinated along the way. Even within MSG, the act of destroying and casting away the titular Gundam was a, at the time, remarkable act of rebellion against and condemnation of the typical fetishizing of tools of war in media.

Bandai finally got so sick of Tomino making Gundam shows that were unmarketable/hard to produce toys for (Victory Gundam says hi) that they eventually bought out control of Sunrise. And their first act in control was to take Gundam out of his hands, then commission G Gundam by handing a bunch of racist yet marketable toy designs to the creative staff and told to make a show with it. And the staff did an exemplary job in spite of what they were handed. Later production staffs in the franchise... not so much.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Find Your Reason

Yikes. Well, I clearly picked the worst possible example to try to illustrate my point, and I appreciate both the correction and the history lesson
Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Ya, it's just often complicated and nuanced. The thing is, there 100% is those drives for crass money making, and there are definitely and often shows whose entire existence is cynical and gross (more recent Gundam shows are *painfully* guilty of this; the most recent Iron Blooded Orphans for example, oof). But in lots of famous examples, there are very often competing interests from all the myriad angles within the creative process of making these shows/things.

AoT is an interesting example where the comic itself is a very viscerally ugly experience with some levels of nuance with regards to depicting fascism as a bad and ugly thing. But its adaptation into a TV show laundered out a lot of the ugly and sanitized a lot of the brutality that the fascists/antagonists inflict that help inform any Fascism is Bad commentary, so most of what you see is cool steampunk nazi spider-men carrying out JUSTICE.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:23 PM

Someone could probably do a fairly successful effort-post about the thematic similarities between AoT and Devilman, IMO. But AoT is incredibly stupid and hamfisted with how it deals with those similar themes and view of human nature.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Cool Guy

I did not think that is what would happen in Attack On Titan.

If I were look up the author of Attack On Titan’s opinions on, I don’t know, things that happened in the 30’s and 40’s, what would I find?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I did not think that is what would happen in Attack On Titan.

If I were look up the author of Attack On Titan’s opinions on, I don’t know, things that happened in the 30’s and 40’s, what would I find?
I seem to recall someone I know taking the time to put that hypothetical into practice a year or two ago, and that the answer to the question was a sufficient reason never to glance at the property again.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM
King Of Space-Time

Question

wait, Wait, WAIT...
Attack On Titan...
Are you all saying the Titans are a Jewish metaphor/analogue?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Technically, the author's saying that. We're all saying WTF.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:59 PM

It's a far bit more complicated than that, and the fictional-jews here are unequivocally the oppressed victims and pov-protagonists in this scenario. But at the very least it's an incredibly bad look/extremely hamfisted.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 PM

I'll tell you what though. The stand "Babyface" in JoJo? I'm going to be hitting myself in the noggin with a hammer to forget that thing existed. Yikes.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:57 PM
The Great

Someone trained a neural network on waifus, and you can generate your own.

Here's mine:
Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

I love hate how many of these DEEP AI WAIFUS have random cum splatter all over them

Does this count as machine abuse
Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I love hate how many of these DEEP AI WAIFUS have random cum splatter all over them
Well when the developers kept feeding the AI with their preferred sample da--

BRB I've found the perfect illustration for my presentation on AI bias and data sets next week at work.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:21 AM
Sega CD version is better

I just keep getting ones that dissolve into a Salvador Dali painting below the chin.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

I got one that couldn't decide between hair, finger, or blowjob.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:18 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
I just keep getting ones that dissolve into a Salvador Dali painting below the chin.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Are we just gonna ignore these amazing bios, because

Quote:
Aya Mikami plays a girl named Takuya, who's in love with Takuya. In the second episode, Sakura Kirihime plays another girl named Sakura, who's in love with Sakura. As the series progresses, the various girls become a "family", with most of their siblings being members of their families. This is probably the first time an anime has included family.
unabridged version:
Aya Mikami plays a girl named Takuya, who's in love with Takuya. In the second episode, Sakura Kirihime plays another girl named Sakura, who's in love with Sakura. As the series progresses, the various girls become a "family", with most of their siblings being members of their families. This is probably the first time an anime has included family. In the story, a female character is a part of two family plots. One is "The One Who's Only A Friend To Sakura" in which she is the father's sister, an adult character is the mother's younger sister, and Kairi Uchida is the mother's younger sister, in the fourth plot, Kairi's younger sister is her younger brother's brother. As we see in the anime series, these two family plots are connected, as each family shows its different values, so, a plot with two different endings can be very complicated. On the other hand, a plot can show many things: A family plot can show the values they share as siblings or not, while a family plot can show other values in different ways. On most days, the family plot does not have anything to do with one another or even if, for some, it does. In the anime series, many scenes from the family plan and characters are tied to the same plot: The family plot is a plot that shows the value to the kids, while the other family plot is a plot that shows the "value" to the kids. When the plots show values and emotions to children, a family plot usually looks a little like "the child's friend", "the family's friend", while the other family plot is always a plot that shows the value to all siblings and not just one. If family plots are tied to a plot that has more values than others, the plot is sometimes called in the plot's original form. Thus for instance, even a very young story "The Three People", about a group of people, are tied to a "family plot". The family plot might be a series of values that show different value for many children, and that's what makes a family plot interesting to read. Also, a family plot that follows the family plot might be considered "the family's friend", "the family's friend's friend", or a plot that follows other family plots. When a family plot has more values than other family plots, it is often called in the plot's original form. For example, if the plot
Old 02-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

The bios definitely weren't there this morning. I guess they were just added?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

The plot generator had a seizure

Quote:
『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Niwa no Niwa-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Sae-sen: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Saira: 『Yuri no Nara no Naira: 『Yuri no N
Old 02-22-2019, 10:23 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

We really will deserve whatever the robots do to us during their uprising.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:18 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
The plot generator had a seizure
Yeah, my waifu generator coughed up a disappointingly generic picture but can you find the point where the backstory generator gives the fuck up?

Quote:
Production began in 1998 for Aoi's anime titled, "I Can't Believe My Alien Visitor Is My Sister", with the initial release on NTV. On July 11 , 2006 a special episode of the special episode aired at 10 pm , to be broadcast on NTV on July 21, 2006. Anime ai nani arigatou gomen sayonara chigau dame Madoka jigoku kami kanojo mahou magical girl youkai 4koma yonkoma Japan Oreimo baka chibi gakuran student club Funimation Gainax Ghibli Hayao Miyazaki Saber Fate Stay Night Pop Team Epic Japanese Aria Escaflowne Kanon Clannad comedy itai manga Shonen Jump pocky tsundere urusai weeaboo yaoi yuri zettai harem senpai otaku waifu we
Old 02-23-2019, 11:44 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

It does seem to have switched from trying to generate a story to openly mocking you (in a way).
Old 03-02-2019, 01:18 PM
King Of Space-Time

You can take Langrisser from Urushihara, but you can't take the Urushihara out of Langrisser.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:09 PM
I have a Plan

The reactions section says it all.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:01 PM

Old 03-14-2019, 05:27 PM
King Of Space-Time

Eh...

meh.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Ahahahahaha
Old 03-22-2019, 06:47 AM

Anime sometimes seems like a text-book definition of reification.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 AM
play digimon cyber sleuth

honestly that's kind of funny, scourge-adjacent as it is

sour patch kids: but horny now

Tags
actual fuckin nazis , anime , anime died , anime is a scrooge , animeanime , animeanimeanime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , be better , don't watch anime , ghost of suncoast video , glop till you drop , glopping , im flyin like goku , jojo is perfect , master of mosquiton , nerd bigotry , octo does not do research , ominous orchestral swell , otakus anonymous , overpriced pocky , overture in see minor , paynus paynus paynus , stop 'n' glop , the abyss gazes back , what's all this racket