The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Family Man

I've been having a lot of awful dreams lately, yet in between all the anxiety fueled horror I had a brief moment where my top teeth turned into a whale's baleen. The hell does that mean?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

You need more krill in your diet.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I'm staying in a hotel while visiting my dying grandparents. By a crazy random coincidence a former classmate who once turned me down for a date back in high school is staying in the same hotel and had seen me in passing several times before I noticed her, and came to the totally natural conclusion that I was stalking her and her life was in danger.

Made our eventual meetup in the lobby really awkward, to say the least.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:05 PM
disguised king of surfing

for a second i didn't realize this was the dreams thread

the worst part is, i wouldn't have figured it out from your post alone
Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 AM
ah知 margaret wartime

This is dumb:

I am in prison. I am Piper Chapman from Orange is the New Black. (?) I escape with one other person on an old-timey plane. We travel in something I don't know the word for... emergency sea sleeping bags. Just lil tubes in which humans float on the surface of the sea, but these are under the wings of the plane, which has no trouble flying. We're heading west, to a different prison, where we will be free. (?) We return to our old prison, having scoped out the new one, or something. Unfortunately, someone was recording our escape and now we're fucked.

I briefly remembered another dream but this was lost soon after waking up.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I dreamed that I stole a school bus and used it to teach young people about physics.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I woke up when my alarm went off.

Only it was 1 am and my alarm wasn't set to go off for five hours yet.

I had woken myself up by dreaming my alarm.

I WAS SO MAD
Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM
ah知 margaret wartime

I feel like I check the time all the time IRL and sometimes I even check it intentionally bc I heard that's one way to help induce lucid dreaming. But I'm out of luck; haven't had a lucid dream since I was a child.

Blast from the past: in Sabrina the Teenage Witch there is a magical closet that lets you travel to a witch dimension. (????) You never see inside the closet, people just get in there and there's lightning SFX.

I had a lucid dream as a child where I was in Sabrina's witch house, I knew I had the powers of witchcraft, because I was dreaming. The power was mine: time to open that door and travel to witchly realms! Well, it was just a closet-ass closet and I had a very limited ability to alter reality in that dream. Disappointing.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:08 PM
ah知 margaret wartime

I think I wanted to, like, summon a mall in a (different) lucid dream, so I could go to the mall. (lmao) Couldn't do it! Frustrating.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Serial Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
I woke up when my alarm went off.

Only it was 1 am and my alarm wasn't set to go off for five hours yet.

I had woken myself up by dreaming my alarm.

I WAS SO MAD

Oh god I hate when that happens. More than once, my alarm goes off and I'll hear it while dreaming, and it just invades the dream becoming like a drill that bores into your brain until you think you're going to go crazy. I never actually wake up until several dream-hours later.

Alarms need to stay the hell out of dreams.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 AM

I don't usually remember my dreams, and on those rare occasions that I do, they're usually stupid bullshit. Last night's dream, however, was on point.

I was some sort of time traveling agent dealing with a zombie/demon apocalypse, and I had to infiltrate this Italian villa to rescue some people and kill an evil warlock. The whole thing was very videogamey, in a survival horror meets cover shooter kind of way. Like, the courtyard of the village was filled with stacks of crates which made it into a sort of maze, and there were patrolling zombies as well as some sort of machine which shot lightning from a big metal orb, so the crates were both a navigation hazard and a vital form of cover from the lightning trap.

Also, I had either been through this before, or watched someone else do it in the past, so I already had some idea where the zombies were, and I knew that the only way to make it to the stairs to the second floor without taking damage from the lightning trap was to shoot the orb until it was destroyed, then make a break across open ground to the stairs.So that's exactly what I did, except I missed one of my shots because I was trying to avoid the lightning at the same time, hit something that wasn't the orb, and caused an explosion that destroyed the entire machine. "That's cool, I've never seen that happen," I think as I start toward the stairs.

As I went up the stairs I had to dodge around some bigger zombies that were armored or were maybe cyborg; the important thing is that they could take a lot more damage than regular zombies, and I didn't want to waste my pistol ammo on them because I knew that on the second floor I would be getting a shotgun that could one-shot them.

On the second floor of the villa there was a Walmart (because fuck you, dreams don't have to make sense) where I had to save people from zombies and flying imps which were attacking them. There were also a lot of dead bodies already, but at first I ignored them because I was focused on trying to save the people who were still alive. The problem is that I saved everyone who was being attacked, but none of the people I rescued gave me a shotgun, which I knew was supposed to happen. I looked around for a shotgun, and I did find an assault rifle just lying around (plausible, because Walmart) but no shotgun. I was kind of annoyed, because the assault rifle took too long to kill those cyborg zombies, unlike the shotgun. Then it occurred to me that one of the dead bodies was probably the person who was supposed to give me the shotgun, but he'd died before I got there. I wasn't sure if the monsters had killed him because I took too long on the first floor, or if when I blew up the machinery the explosion killed him, or what.

So I traveled back in time so I could do it over again right, but instead of going back in time a few minutes so I could redo the mission, I ended up standing at the entrance of the Walmart watching a couple of corrupt cops hassling a pair of kids and falsely accusing them of shoplifting The rest of the kids' family came over and started arguing with the cops, who told them they all needed to go with the cops to the security office to sort everything out. So I put away my glowing-eldritch-rune-engraved revolver, walked over to the family, and told them "You look like you're in need of some legal advice. Let me help." We all went back to the security office and next thing I knew I was informing the family about their Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights and grilling the cops Perry Mason style to prove that they were lying about the kids shoplifting.

Then there were a bunch of brief, impressionistic scenes where I kept time traveling and missing the apocalypse, but somehow always managed to end up someplace where someone really needed a lawyer. Then there was some sort of flash-forward where I was still in the Walmart security office, but it had apparently been converted into some sort of lecture hall where my co-workers and I were conducting a presentation to educate people about their legal rights.

I'm pretty sure my subconscious was telling me that I need to get some new hobbies. The only way this dream could have been more on the nose would have been if everyone was singing in Italian.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:29 AM
ah知 margaret wartime

MrChris, thank you. 🙏
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM
if-then-eels

New Resident Evil sounds lit
Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 AM
ah知 margaret wartime

Let's get this written down while I can remember it:

I'm in China for some reason and I'm getting on and off trains. A weird-looking white man talks to me and apparently he is a Chinese man who has undergone surgery to look white now. (ed. note: been thinking about Psylocke lately) He is interested in English people and now my nationality is English.

Later I return to him. Now we are in Australia and he is an Australian child and I guess I'm American again. (it doesn't matter) Motherfucker gets off the train and wades into a body of water with the intent to drown. I'm responsible for him (so furious!) so I go after him. Gillian Anderson, or a witch simply played by Gillian Anderson, rescues him with her magicks and reveals that she's only doing it because one day I will be a powerful wizard who will help her in turn.

Me and the child are out and about in some kind of building when Jason Vorhees attacks. We run back to the trains. (Remember this dream had trains? So coherent!) I am stopped by a preposterous entrance that has three sets of doors I have to pull towards me to get out. To get to the trains ASAP I jump like 2 stories down on to the train. I'm fine. The whole time I've been hurrying but I'm not particularly nervous because I do know I'm destined to be a powerful warlock or whatever. I wake up!
Old 09-19-2017, 01:28 PM

What do y'all do when it's already midnight and your mind is racing for no discernable reason, i.e. tell-tale signs that you won't be able to sleep for at least another couple hours? Do you have any tips or tricks for calming down your brain?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The usual advice is to find something that is boring or uninteresting to you, and dwell on that for a bit. Usually knocks me out pretty fast.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I felt like this last night at about 1AM, so I decided to play more EO3 and didn't end up getting to sleep until after 4AM. So... don't do that?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
What do y'all do when it's already midnight and your mind is racing for no discernable reason, i.e. tell-tale signs that you won't be able to sleep for at least another couple hours? Do you have any tips or tricks for calming down your brain?
Boot up one of Parish's game boy videos or map streams. This is not a disparagement, he just naturally has that golf announcer voice that knocks me right out if I'm not sitting completely upright.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 AM
ah知 margaret wartime

I find it's really important not to talk myself into looking at a screen like a d*ng fool because sleeping seems so hard right now.

I had another college dream last night! Probably because I keep writing about them! Here's what was up:

My younger sister is visiting colleges and we're all going to some weird Christian place with obviously all sorts of restrictions. Now, I've been visiting with her up to this point, but now the dream concept is that I'm also visiting this college. Everyone else is a conservative young woman, but I am not, nor is my sister. I just know this. The tour guide is like a 20-30 something man and asks if we're all OK with this. (the rules, including no swearing now) I say, "fuck no" but everyone only mildly reacts. (good for them) In the light of day, I'm embarrassed of my dream self.

I forget what happens next, but this is an unrelated dream from later, as far as I know. There's a piece of paper at work with information on new job assignments, but it's been tacked onto the board on the wrong side. People in the office keep putting tacks into it, making the task of correcting reorienting the paper slightly more difficult, if anyone were trying. (they're not) Someone finally points out that the paper's on the wrong side. I wake up.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Dumping all of it in a to-do list or my journal sometimes helps fix that for me. Avoid screens though.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I had a nightmare that my niece was terribly injured. But before that it was great, because we were in a pool with ducks in it and the duck had babies, but they didn't look like ducklings, they looked like one inch versions of regular sized ducks. Neat idea, brain.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:57 PM
nothing spacial

I had a dream that I was being stalked by a murderous android. The android was designed to have a female form and was created by a scientist or possibly group of scientists that I apparently worked for (found that out later in the dream).

Throughout the dream I was relentlessly pursued by this robot. Wherever I ran, it showed up to try and kill me. And I witnessed it kill several people during its pursuit of me.

I fled inadvertently to an elementary school. I believe it may have been my daughter's school. But of course it looked different, as things typically do in dreams. In any case, I arrived just as the school was having a fire drill and all the students and staff were exiting to the exterior of the school. I realized that if I stayed there the robot would kill everyone there. Sure enough, as all the people were surrounding me, I saw it across a grassy field running toward the group of people gathered.

So I ran away from there as fast as I could and was quickly caught by the android somewhere away from the school. It then began speaking to me, revealing its plans to actually kill every human being on the planet.

Just as I began to explain to it that it would be impossible to do that, it was attacked by various police and military forces in an attempt to destroy it. But nothing was successful. It was apparently indestructible, even when large-scale bombs were lobbed at it.

As they were attacking it, I was able to get away from it and ran to the laboratory where it was constructed, which I then realized I was an employee of. I found the lead scientist and reported to him what was going on and pleaded with him to make it stop somehow. He just kind of casually chuckled and said, "Well, let us see if she is able to accomplish that, shall we?"

Woke up at that point but the dream overall felt hours long. One of the more detailed and vivid dreams I've ever had. Plus that feeling of doom that I and the whole world was going to be destroyed by this thing has stuck strongly with me all day.

The other aspect that bothered me was that the android seemed to have some serious blood lust. Like it was really enjoying the killing and truly hated human beings. It seemed very intensely angry. And I remember thinking how strange that was since it shouldn't have emotions at all.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:06 PM
if-then-eels

gotta stop plaing nier automata right before bed I guess
Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 PM
ah知 margaret wartime

Sorry about your unpleasant dreams this past night, Tyrants!

I remember only a little bit of last night's. Slightly unpleasant, and very stupid:

I'm watching the credits for a new Birds of Prey show. (never watched the original and never read the comics) The majority of the cast are boys (which I knew was wrong) and there are two girls. One of them is Arielle Kebbel, with a different name in my dream. She's singing a horrible song, I'm so confused about why this professional TV theme song is so bad. (when I woke up, I realized: because I am not a professional musician) She kisses the other girl "for the boys" (I believe she says this) and I'm appalled and annoyed. This show is terrible! I wake up.

Possible inspirations for some of this: Wrestlicious, Birds of Prey, I watched The Vampire Diairies 6 years ago, been thinking about Katy Perry lately
Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I had a very sexy dream followed immediately by another dream in which I got out of bed and mentally reviewed the previous dream so I could remember it, but I got distracted and lost the climax.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:44 PM
ah知 margaret wartime

That happened with a (non-sexy) dream last night. H8 it!

I didn't write this down earlier so I've lost some details, but here's the gist of something my subconscious imagined last night:

I'm traveling around with my family and think we are the Modern Family. (haven't watched in years) Okay, perhaps not, I think Ariel Winters just makes a cameo. (bc she shows up in Who? Weekly) Anyway, there are hostile androids who want to wipe out humanity but I and others are like no, but we're not going to kill you either.

Dream shift!

At some points we are vactioning on a beach but at other points, we are just traveling around like a boat island (?)(many boats, like a hundred) in the middle of an ocean. The ocean covers the earth. Anyway, the androids (remember them?) are now free and doing evil again and I think eventually are demons, not androids. Eventually someone is gruesomely mutilated but left alive. Shouldda killed those androids!

I'm back on land again (there is land again) in a jungle. Milla Jovovich, dressed in her Three Musketeers costume (bc that just showed up in TT's movie thread) makes an appearance. I forget how this ends, and much else in the middle.

Thanks for your time!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:15 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I need to remember this because I just had an epic dream and it is already leaving me. I remember going to a place (some weird fictional construct that was sort of like the outside of a palace) and saying goodbye to children (probably students) who loved me. Lots of hugs and teary goodbyes. Then I met a kid who was probably a relative and they also where very affectionate towards me.

Then I somehow got mixed up in finding a missing child and because I was on some sort of "I need to be loved by the children of the world streak", I decided to find him. I ran into some guy who said he could help me out. This guy also had raw salmon steaks, which he kept on top of small piles of diced onion, presumably so they would absorb flavour (I have doubts that would work). Anyway, I got suspicious of the man when I realized he had committed the ultimate crime... hiding Nintendo Switch controllers under the onions.

I don't know what his plan was, but he was looking to throw me into the incinerator. But I turned the tables and threw him and some woman (who I assume was also bad) into an incinerator. This was probably about to lead me to find that kid, but then I woke up.

Also, at some point, I explained to my Dad (who was fully mobile, so extra points to the dream) what an FMV was. Because there was a Switch game that was an FMV that involved kicking soldiers and demons. Apparently, we played this game when the bad guy was out on an errand, leaving us in his house, so we didn't have a good set of priorities.

Thanks internet dream journal.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 AM
ah知 margaret wartime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Thanks internet dream journal.
The journal should thank you.... excellent dream.

Lost most of a recent dream, but remember this:

I知 at the top of an escalator leading into a small tunnel. I知 on my knees, head in the tunnel, shoulders trapped. I think I知 gonna break my neck if nothing changes. I muster up the dexterity to extend my knees and allow myself to get drawn into the tunnel. There痴 a conveyor belt in there, so I am being conveyed further down the tunnel. As in real life, I知 claustrophobic. This whole scenario sucks!

That痴 it.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:49 AM
ah知 margaret wartime

Tonight, I was the Mindhunter explaining the Minds of serial killers to my fellow Mindhunters. I noticed what I was saying didn稚 make sense so I woke up.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:41 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I was watching the movie The Mask, but with a few differences:

-The blonde was a single mother with a doctorate in entomology. She was trying to study the freakish number of spiders showing up in the city but that didn't pay the bills so she turned to singing in the meantime.

-No dog. Instead there was Baby Groot, who had shapeshifting powers and the ability to summon primeval forests filled with fantastic creatures.

-The lounge the woman sang in had some kind of weird yellow blob cartoon for a mascot.

-Jim Carrey's character was named "Yanley."

Several times I asked myself if I was sure this was really The Mask, but I remained certain it was. The titular mask never showed up before my alarm went off.

Tags
dreams , physiology , psychology , sleep