The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
Did you have a word-of-god source for that? I thought Stevonnie was supposed to be somewhere else in "gender space". I don't know much about the trans experience, but the descriptions I've read didn't have much in common with Stevonnie's... arc?

Of course, the nice thing about Great Art is that you can read it in lots of ways. Stevonnie can be that and still be a metaphor for young love/romance/intimacy/whatever else you want at the same time.
Being somewhere else in "gender space" IS being trans, at least in part. Especially since Stevonnie's component parts are specifically AMAB and AFAB; together, what are they, what sense of gender identity?

Word of god gives Stevonnie as a multitude of metaphors. From an interview: "Stevonnie is an experience! The living relationship between Steven and Connie. What I love about Stevonnie is that we are working with a metaphor that is so complex and so specific but also really, really relatable, in the form of a character. Stevonnie challenges gender norms as an individual, but also serves as a metaphor for all the terrifying firsts in a first relationship, and what it feels like to hit puberty and suddenly find yourself with the body of an adult, how quickly that happens, how it feels to have a new power over people, or to suddenly find yourself objectified, all for seemingly no reason since you’re still just you… and they are still just them, they’re Steven and Connie who you already know and relate to, and if you do you can feel, for this episode, what all of those feelings are like. And they feel it too and that stays with them. I knew that was bound to be interesting to people, for at least one of all those reasons!"
Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Steven is Rose's mansona.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

I'm thinking about writing SU episode reviews but it seems like a lot of people are doing that already.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:53 PM
oh my car

I dare you to do it.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:43 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Being somewhere else in "gender space" IS being trans, at least in part. Especially since Stevonnie's component parts are specifically AMAB and AFAB; together, what are they, what sense of gender identity?

Word of god gives Stevonnie as a multitude of metaphors. From an interview: "Stevonnie is an experience! The living relationship between Steven and Connie. What I love about Stevonnie is that we are working with a metaphor that is so complex and so specific but also really, really relatable, in the form of a character. Stevonnie challenges gender norms as an individual, but also serves as a metaphor for all the terrifying firsts in a first relationship, and what it feels like to hit puberty and suddenly find yourself with the body of an adult, how quickly that happens, how it feels to have a new power over people, or to suddenly find yourself objectified, all for seemingly no reason since you’re still just you… and they are still just them, they’re Steven and Connie who you already know and relate to, and if you do you can feel, for this episode, what all of those feelings are like. And they feel it too and that stays with them. I knew that was bound to be interesting to people, for at least one of all those reasons!"
Yeah, what's great about the show is it doesn't limit things to "This means this", allowing the metaphor to become more versatile and to do many things with it. And yet, at the same time it isn't too broad so as too water it down. This is definitely a wonderfully progressive show in a way that never risks being heavy handed (though sometimes it is just "heavy" in the best possible way"). I actually watched Alone Together again recently and it is a powerful, joyous, fun and emotionally complex episode of television wherein two kids gets smooshed together with space magic.

It's funny how this show has cracked the code that I & S Studios was struggling with years ago.

"So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?"

OK, it's not COMPLETELY off the wall (that's combo is more Adventure Time territory) but yeah, that sums it up.

Sadly we do not win things by watching. Material things.

BTW, here's what I'm hoping for next season (since I feel they have and will continue to touch on it, I don't think that's the series focus right now): The Gems getting more involved with Beach City. They are really happy to keep the world's seperate, but as more threats are coming, I think it will become important for both worlds to get closer together. Which will mean more episodes like Beach Party. Which is fine by me (it's not the show's best, but there's nothing not fun about the gems trying to "get" humans). I could also see Steven taming more Gem Monsters, rehabilitating them back to Gems, and they basically become other citizens of Beach City.

Also, and I doubt I'm the first person to posit this, I think that Rose was probably the ruler of the whole Gem Empire who left the kingdom when she saw what they were doing (I wouldn't be surprised if much of it was her idea, without realizing the full nature of what doing that to a planet means) and basically everyone said "No, we aren't changing, this works for us."

As for watching the show in Bomb form: I don't know. I guess I don't mind it, but I am a guy who tends to portion these things out anyway.

I could go for a Gravity Falls bomb, which is to say, one episode of Gravity Falls.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:43 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I watched two more eps last night, So Many Birthdays and Lars and the Cool Kids. They were both really good but the second one was best just for one almost heartbreaking line ("I didn't even get to know my mom") when Steven loses his rag with Lars. It was the way he was clearly upset but still together, wasn't bogged down with melodrama at a time when he actually could be forgiven for being. It was quite different to what I expect from a CN show and turned me around from being kind of bummed about the idea of Steven Universe going full angst, since it seems pretty deft about this stuff.

This thread is full of even unmarked spoilers so I'll probably not post any more
Old 06-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Also, and I doubt I'm the first person to posit this, I think that Rose was probably the ruler of the whole Gem Empire who left the kingdom when she saw what they were doing (I wouldn't be surprised if much of it was her idea, without realizing the full nature of what doing that to a planet means) and basically everyone said "No, we aren't changing, this works for us."
I can't find a picture of it after a half-assed Google image search, but there's a scene from the most recent bomb that makes it pretty clear that Rose was once one of the four diamond rulers of the Gem Empire. There's an image set into the stonework somewhere (the Kindergarten? the arena where Connie gets trained? I forget where we see it) that shows 4 diamonds, one of which is pink. Previously, we've heard of "yellow diamond" from Peridot and Jasper, and there's another image set into the arena floor where Garnet and Jasper fight of 3 diamonds, with the pink conspicuously missing. So, it seems that Rose was one of the 4 rulers, but then was cut out after her rebellion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
This thread is full of even unmarked spoilers so I'll probably not post any more
I'd like to caution everyone against this. There's still a lot of people just discovering this show (I know I recommend it to pretty much everyone), and several of the people now actively participating in this thread came to the show late or even because of this thread, so let's try and keep on top of spoilers (and, to be fair, given the amount of blue I see, I know most of you are indeed trying). I know stuff like Ruby and Sapphire, information about Rose, etc might seem like old hat by now, but it's not to new viewers.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:44 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any
Default Bongo's link is a spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I can't find a picture of it after a half-assed Google image search, but there's a scene from the most recent bomb that makes it pretty clear that Rose was once one of the four diamond rulers of the Gem Empire. There's an image set into the stonework somewhere (the Kindergarten? the arena where Connie gets trained? I forget where we see it) that shows 4 diamonds, one of which is pink. Previously, we've heard of "yellow diamond" from Peridot and Jasper, and there's another image set into the arena floor where Garnet and Jasper fight of 3 diamonds, with the pink conspicuously missing. So, it seems that Rose was one of the 4 rulers, but then was cut out after her rebellion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

"We only fuse in situations of extreme danger!"

Like when Pearl is dying of thirst.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:41 PM
King Of Space-Time

Hey, remember those crazy pilot designs?

Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM
We just don't know.

I just started this show, 2 episodes in. In episode 2, the moment when he fires the cannon was not only a really strong callback to some of the best of early anime aesthetics, but was also just kinda beautiful. The music kick, the quick-cuts to the reflections in everyone's eyes. I'm really impressed.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:18 PM

The show has a lot of (non-intrusive, though often thematically related) references to other classic anime and video games. And while the first few episodes are definitely good TV, the show is gonna get a lot better, so enjoy.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 06-27-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:13 PM
We just don't know.

~I'm really impressed with the music and sound design.

~Steven is really annoying.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:18 PM
hang high, soft star

He gets waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better. It's a very salient plot point.

ETA: Like seriously, that was my initial reaction to him too. That and Pearl being the worst stock character type ever. And now some 30-odd episodes later Pearl is my favorite character by a long shot. The characters start off really really lame because you don't know anything about them but once you get further into it all their archetypes get ripped apart and the way they come off initially makes so much sense.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 PM
We just don't know.

Birthday episode

Pearl with the pie

Garnet with the shakes

EDIT:
Onion is deeply horrifying

I really hate Steven's voice (and Steven)

Last edited by Paul le Fou; 06-27-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Funko Superfan

Don't hate Steven
Old 06-27-2015, 10:26 PM
oh my car

Believe in Steven.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:35 PM
certified comics master

Stay with it. Trust us.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 PM
We just don't know.

I'm not in danger of dropping the show. I'm really liking it. Steven is just annoying as hell. Like many main characters, he's the least interesting character on his own show.

I'm through episode 18 (beach party with the Pizza family)! Thoughts:

Lion is clearly a representation or avatar or creation of Steven's mother, being Rose-pink and taking him to the rose-vine armory and the Rose sword coming out of its head and all. I like how much it plants (...heh) about her without being too obvious or hamfisted. His dad's single line about how she gave up her physical form to birth him, the rose patterns, the blooming moss. This show has Good World-Building.

I like Pearl's new outfit (after she got impaled by her own bot), especially since I didn't really like the old one, but am a little disappointed they didn't update the intro to reflect it; I really like little touches like that.

The music continues to be super rad. The title song is stuck so deep in my head. The BGM is great too; battles scored with slow melodic piano music, upbeat electronics with soaring Japanese-style hooks... It's all so PS1 RPG/90's anime (with modern touches, like all the chiptune effects).
Old 06-27-2015, 11:07 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Default BOOMERANG BLADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I really hate Steven's voice (and Steven)
You will grow to like him. Or maybe you won't. Whatever.

I was thinking about how earlier in the show there are bits where a character gets hurt for Steven's sake and he can't do anything about it, like with the centipeedle and baby melon. With a lot of the stuff from last week they're setting up similar situations where Steven will probably be able to actually do something about it, with the 3 different characters yelling "I'm doing this for YOU!" and everything. Steven and Connie already worked out a better Violence Arrangement, even. In conclusion, Lapis will be fine. Right?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:07 PM
oh my car

Believe in Steven.

The soundtrack's composers have a SoundCloud page, but don't go there yet, because the song titles are huge spoilers. It sounds like video game music because they did video game music before they did this cartoon.

How are you watching it? Some of the video stores out there put some of the episodes around the end of season 1 in a weird order. Of course, the broadcast order was a bit weird in some ways too, but mostly by putting some light episodes that could take place pretty much any time after the climax even though some continuity things indicate they were before it. I heard that iTunes, on the other hand, disrupts the buildup in some way, so be careful and err on the side of broadcast order.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:40 PM
oh my car

Like, it's definitely true that Steven's kind of bumbling in a cliched way in some of the early episodes. But what I noticed early on was he never needs to be bailed out. When he creates a problem, he is usually the only one to understand what's going on, and makes it right in a way nobody else can. That, plus the fact that "Laser Light Cannon" was incredible, gave me confidence that the show was a lot smarter than it was letting on, and building up to a very thoughtful moral thesis. I was right.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Funko Superfan

Also he drives a van into your heart
Old 06-28-2015, 12:39 AM

Can someone clear this up for me? I thought Soundcloud was just for streaming. Can I just up and dowload the music from there? I've already downloaded a lot of the show's music from another source, but I would like to do the courtesy of getting the music from the source.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:42 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Can someone clear this up for me? I thought Soundcloud was just for streaming. Can I just up and dowload the music from there? I've already downloaded a lot of the show's music from another source, but I would like to do the courtesy of getting the music from the source.
It is possible to download from Soundcloud if the uploader designates it to be downloadable.

Sadly, the Steven Universe soundtrack is not.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:20 AM

Bah. Curses. Must turn to extra-legal sources. Not that I am that bothered, but I do like the idea of giving the people who made it my money. Which is why I want an official soundtrack.

Adventure Time has a great score too, but out of context, a lot of it is pretty avant-garde.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 AM
Dinger!

Paul, if Steven's voice is annoying you, rest assured that it actually changes quite a bit over the course of the show. It starts of a lot lower pitched than it ends up.

As for him as a character, he's my favourite, so maybe he'll just grow on you, I guess.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:13 PM
certified comics master

Steven Universe is a much smarter and thoughtfully put-together show than it lets on in its earliest episodes. It's one of those those where you think the beginning is just goofy filler, but when you're all caught up, you can rewatch the earliest episodes and find loads of stuff you didn't notice before. Characters change in appearance and behavior, they grow up and learn... and there IS an updated opening sequence eventually.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:42 PM
King Of Space-Time

"The Hot One"

Old 06-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Cloudcuckoolander

Wow. Huge thread here.

Sharing the love for Garnet.

I know it's a few months late, but that Uncle Grandpa crossover had any right than it had to be, and I kind of enjoy Uncle Grandpa for all of its absurd inanity. Pearl's freak outs and chibi Steven were the best parts.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe