The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-05-2019, 08:42 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Oh. Well that sure was an "oops" moment.

Why the flipping hell would you need an original on set anyway? It's Hollywood, everything is makeup and special effects. That was dumb.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Works for me

Yeah I'm consistently baffled by how they had a 100 year old antique and neglected to tell the cast about it. It was even on loan!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

If Beale Street Could Talk is incredible. I don't think Barry Jenkins could make another movie I love as much as Moonlight, but damn this one is right up there.

Escape Room is mad dumb and I liked it
Old 01-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
"His dad's a cop. We've got to GO!"

I loved that I saw the joke coming from a mile away and they still managed to land it with that line.

I loved this movie - I knew they had me from the very beginning when they got upstaged by the freaking Challengers of the Unknown. That and the Titans putting a pearl necklace around Martha’s neck and pushing her into crime alley had me in histerics. Obscure comic references and dark humor are a killer combination for me, and I couldn’t stop laughing no matter how hard I tried not to.

To everybody else who was in that transatlantic flight with me - I’m sorry, but in my defense it was a really good movie.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Best superhero movie of 2018.
Hell of a thing to say when spiderverse is standing right there.

We watched How to Train Your Dragon on a lark last night and its kinda an extremely emotionally affecting movie?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Senhor Member

That movie drags in the first act and is in fact much longer than 70 minutes. Not nearly as funny. Found some stylistic choices distracting and off-putting. (the blurring) TTGttM is otoh almost flawless. Main complaint is farts are disgusting and there’s nothing funny about them.

Spiderverse is a strong second... animated superhero film. Venom came out last year, too. My take’s not that hot!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hell of a thing to say when spiderverse is standing right there.

We watched How to Train Your Dragon on a lark last night and its kinda an extremely emotionally affecting movie?
Probably my favorite dreamworks movie. Sequel was pretty forgettable (in that I saw a trailer for the third one and my wife had to remind me that there even was a second one, maybe it was good, something about his mom?).
Old 01-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Senhor Member

I know (?) I saw the second one, and only that one, in theaters but I don’t know why. Probably because twitter told me to.

Wait, wait, I think I remember. Was there like a gay character or something? Vaguely confirmed in one line?

Anyway, it was probably fine, like all films. They’re all exactly and equally fine! So proud you made a movie, gang.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Funko Superfan

I kinda hate that after this amazing scene where this New Thing that is two different creatures working in voiceless unity to fly take Astrid on this beautiful transformative, world changing journey that's so emotionally rich it's hard to put into words and afterwards she's like "that was so cool." Why you gotta undercut yourself like that Dreamworks? Afraid to get too _real_??
Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Terrified
Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Find Your Reason

Venommmm, Venommmm, Venom-Venom, Venommmm, Venom-Venommmm They Ain't Gonna Know What Hit 'Ummm, Venommmm

So I watched Venom while on the plane.

My God what a weird and weirdly hilarious and hilariously kinky and kinkily weird romcom.

Did I mention I watched it twice in a row because the flight was 5 hours long.

I want more Venom movies now and I want them exactly as terrible and ad-libbed as this one.

Venommmm, Venommmm, Venom-Venom, Venommmm
Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Managed to get to a viewing of Mortal Engines just before it left all local theaters. I enjoyed it! Sure, there's a lot of fairly predictable YA-fantasy-novel turns, but it was still mostly a fun time.

Also there's a lot of Final Fantasy-ish sorts of things going on in here. The airship port in the wall reminded me a hell of a lot of Lindblum. Not to mention the wide variety of neat airship designs. (Not to say I think any of it was inspired by FF; they're just drawing from a lot of the same steampunk/fantasy sources.)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

Suicide Squad wasn’t nearly as bad as I was lead to believe. That doesn’t mean it was good, I don’t even need to strain to think of better examples of “Comic Book Movies Based On Criminals Forced To Be Secret Commandos” movies, but my expectations were certainly low enough that I wound up surprising myself by deeming the movie “Decent”.

It’s also plainly the kind of movie where they came up with the soundtrack first, then tried to build a movie around that. And then also tried to make sure that the movie had lots of disconnected scenes that serve no purpose except to make the trailer look really cool

The movie did teach me that Margot Robbies American Accent fits somewhere between Benedict Cumberbatchs and Liam Neesons in terms of unintentional hilarity.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
It’s also plainly the kind of movie where they came up with the soundtrack first, then tried to build a movie around that.
It's honestly the opposite. They made a movie, then Guardians of the Galaxy happened, and they went back in to reshoot a bunch of scenes and threw in a bunch of pop songs on top to change the tone of the film.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

I’m going to say that was the right call, as the soundtrack being on the nose to the point of parody only helped the movie.

I’m honestly surprised at the restraint they showed in not giving Slipknot a theme song.

I also genuinely love that Slipknot is the only guy who did not get a super cool intro mini-movie, and is only introduced by someone off camera saying “That’s Slipknot! He can climb anything” as if that was a superhuman ability.

And also the US Army figures that “Guy Who Can Climb Ropes”, “Guy Who Throws Boomerang Well” and “Crazy Girl w/ knife” are essential personnel for a secret mission to extract people from the site of a Witch Attack!

Guys I’m coming around... I think I convinced myself I loved this movie
Old 01-10-2019, 06:54 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Just because someone takes all of the ingredients for a tasty cake and places them in the same containter and heats them up for the required amount of time doesn't guarantee that the end result will be a tasty cake.

Hey, don't forget that the crazy girl also had a baseball bat.

(The US Army figured that weaponizing a super-powerful witch was OK as long as she had a kill switch* which couldn't possibly fail for any reason whatsoever was a good idea. So I think their judgment was pretty dubious from the get-go.)

*Not the band.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Mystery Contraption

The literal crocodile man is told that he is not needed when the military needs to plant a big bomb underwater to breach the villains lair; possibly the only situation where “literal crocodile man” is nothing but an asset.

Katana just wanders in to the squads helicopter before they leave on their mission, yelling at her sword. She plays such a minor role in all the rest of the movie and has no interactions with any other characters to the point that I literally forgot she was in the film and was starting to question it I hallucinated her.

The Evil Witches plan seems to consist of “making a big lightning-hole in the sky” and magically replacing her one Wizard Bikini with a different Wizard Bikini, and also periodically turning people into Putty Patrollers

There’s a Slow Motion Badass Cool Guy Walk down an empty street when Captain Boomerang suddenly appears in, nodding at the rest of the team as if to say “Hey, he cares after all”. Literally nothing in the movie suggested otherwise and I didn’t realize he wasn’t in the montage until then. I think they just started filiming that scene while the actor was in the bathroom?

The Fireball Guy turns out to be a Meso-American Fire God (possibly?), and nobody thinks that’s unexpected enough to even acknowledge.

I definitely think I love this stupid movie.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 AM
Find Your Reason

Not gonna lie, Diablo going "¡Ahora sí, cabrón!" at the (ostensibly) main villain is the highlight of the film.

If he had brought down a helicopter while doing it it would've been the perfect movie.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Last night I watched the 1945 Picture of Dorian Gray. It was really good! I'm pretty sure the main character was wearing a ton of makeup and he was lit in a way where you would never see any shadows on his face, so he ended up looking unsettling. A young Angela Lansbury won a Golden Globe for playing Sibyl Vane. Also, the entire thing is in black and white, except for a few shots of the portrait (painted by Ivan Albright) later on. I've actually seen it in person in a show about Albright at the Art Institute. It's crazy up close. Anyway, the movie is worth checking out.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
And also the US Army figures that “Guy Who Can Climb Ropes”, “Guy Who Throws Boomerang Well” and “Crazy Girl w/ knife” are essential personnel for a secret mission to extract people from the site of a Witch Attack!
The movie also wants you to believe, per the opening scenes, that these people constitute the answer to the question "what if Superman went rogue?"
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

These hardened criminal psychopaths cause far less collateral damage than a non-rogue Superman, I’ll give them that
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM
120 Days

Quote:
These hardened criminal psychopaths cause far less collateral damage than a non-rogue Superman, I’ll give them that
To be fair - Diablo and Enchantress (originally first Squad member) are pretty powerful
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
To be fair - Diablo and Enchantress (originally first Squad member) are pretty powerful
"Good, good! These are magical entities, and Superman is as vulnerable to magical fire as any other person. Who's next?"

"Slipknot, the man who can climb anything."

"...does he have kryptonite gear or something?"

"No, he just makes good knots."

"Does he?"

"Honestly, I have no idea, but if it's in his name..."

"You're fired."
Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

The first thing that comes to mind about Superman is that he can fly, right?

And the best way to counter being able to fly is to be able to climb good!

He’s the perfect foil!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 PM
120 Days

Quote:
The first thing that comes to mind about Superman is that he can fly, right?

And the best way to counter being able to fly is to be able to climb good!

He’s the perfect foil!
He can tie an invincible knot of kryptonite. BOOM

GOD TIER
Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Funko Superfan

Doesn’t climbing good define Spider Man and Bat Man’s main powers?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Spider-Man has an interesting set of powers besides just climbing good.

Batman's power is being rich.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

See, Slipknot is good at climbing even though he lacks both of those things!

At this point I'm not sure if that is a backhanded compliment and whether I did or didn't mean it. (I think I might be too deep into the con here.)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Yes, but they both do things besides climbing things; they’re skill sets are too diverse.

All Slipknot can do is Climb Anything, and there is no one in the worldwho is better at Climbing Anything.

And, woe to us all, he used this power for evil, rather than to help his fellow man.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 AM
hidden in snow

I’ve watched a few movies on the plane this year. Ocean’s 8 was fine, better than Ocean’s 12 or 13, but all those movies blend together after a while. 8 tried to do the hyper cool thing that 11 started, and didn’t really work, but it was still enjoyable.

Trainspotting 2 was a lot better than I had thought it would be. I’m glad Spud is still the heart of the world, and that everyone got a cameo. I’m also glad I had a window seat and could angle my iPad away from people, as there were a few scenes I wouldn’t broadcast to the public.

Bird Box was a good thriller up until the too pat ending. I like my thriller endings like The Mist, which I thought was better than the ambiguous end of the novella. Bird Box had some good tension, but the twist ruined it for me. Good score by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, though by this point most of their soundtracks run together.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road