The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Didn't finish it. Got bored with it and moved on
Old 01-11-2019, 06:46 PM

This reading year is sucking so far. 11 days into the new year and I've already DNF'd two books. I think I'm getting pickier in my old age. Anyway, I'm going to give a real solid commitment this time to reading Ron Chernow's biography on Washington
Old 01-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

These holidays I indulged in reading a lot, and I've found that young adult lesbian romance is becoming a guilty pleasure of mine. I've read almost half a dozen of these, but the ones who have impacted me the most are Annie On My Mind and Just Juliet.

"Annie" is as beautiful as it's heartwrenching. I can't believe people used to *burn* this book just because it's a romance between two girls. The main obstacle presented mid-book is telegraphed well in advance, yet when it happens it is pulled off with such mastery that I had to put the book down for a few hours to gather the strength to keep reading because it hurt as hell. Good stuff.

"Just Juliet" has serious pacing issues (heck, a major plot twist is presented at the very end and then quickly wrapped up in a 20 page epilogue in a way that could have feeded two other novels) but I really liked the characters starring this one. It's the book equivalent of a warm cup of chocolate - sweet and comforting, even though it's nutritious value it's questionable. Still, I really recommend it.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

The Arm of the Sphinx was a wild thematic departure from the first book in the series, Senlin Ascends, but seeing as how it was a fast paced, relentlessly entertaining steampunk air-pirate adventure story, I was 1000% on board with it despite that. Sort of story where I started dreading the dwindling page count because I did not want the story to be over. At least partly because much of the back half of the story felt like set up for the third (and final?) book. Which, fortunately, is out in, like, a week, so I donít have long to wait.

Strong Recommendation for Steampunk Pirate Escapades, maybe not for lovers of weeny teachers flummoxed by bizarretowers full of hubris.

Anyway, Iíve also discovered that Famously Reclusive Simpsonís writer John Schwartzwelder also wrote a series of detective stories, so I picked one up at random and started reading that.

I would tell before I finished the first page that I made an extremely good decision.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

i started reading Legend of the Condor Heroes, one of the most famous chinese fantasy novels of the modern era, and it's fantastic. It's a wuxia film in a book, about kung fu heroes fighting against the mongols, and because it was published as a serialized novel in newspapers, it moves really fast and keeps the hype going at a steady pace.

Just a great change of pace.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:41 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The Arm of the Sphinx was a wild thematic departure from the first book in the series, Senlin Ascends, but seeing as how it was a fast paced, relentlessly entertaining steampunk air-pirate adventure story, I was 1000% on board with it despite that. Sort of story where I started dreading the dwindling page count because I did not want the story to be over. At least partly because much of the back half of the story felt like set up for the third (and final?) book. Which, fortunately, is out in, like, a week, so I donít have long to wait.

Strong Recommendation for Steampunk Pirate Escapades, maybe not for lovers of weeny teachers flummoxed by bizarretowers full of hubris.

Anyway, Iíve also discovered that Famously Reclusive Simpsonís writer John Schwartzwelder also wrote a series of detective stories, so I picked one up at random and started reading that.

I would tell before I finished the first page that I made an extremely good decision.
Senlin Ascends also gets the Octo seal of approval, though? I read the sample chapter but havenít pulled the trigger yet. Seemed interesting.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:43 PM

The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden. I know I'll be committed to this book because I really enjoyed the first two books. I'm confident that this book will "stick the landing" as it were
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Senlin Ascends also gets the Octo seal of approval, though? I read the sample chapter but havenít pulled the trigger yet. Seemed interesting.
Both Very Absolutely get that, theyíre just in very different genres
Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i started reading Legend of the Condor Heroes, one of the most famous chinese fantasy novels of the modern era, and it's fantastic. It's a wuxia film in a book, about kung fu heroes fighting against the mongols, and because it was published as a serialized novel in newspapers, it moves really fast and keeps the hype going at a steady pace.

Sounds interesting. Are you reading the still-ongoing Anna Holmwood translation?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I am really enjoying The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth. The book is an alternative history of the US where Charles Lindberg wins the 1940 Republican nomination for president and defeats FDR. The story is told by a young Jewish boy from New Jersey and while the story is interesting what I find most compelling is Roth's ability to create for his reader's the constant tension of being Jewish, of being in the United States while somehow not being of it.

These are things I know exist. But as with all good fiction Roth makes me feel that it exists.

I'm not even halfway through but I recommend it
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Sounds interesting. Are you reading the still-ongoing Anna Holmwood translation?
yeah. it's got some copy editing issues, but overall i really enjoy it.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished The Time Machine Did It and, unsurpsingly, a novella written by one of the head writers of the The Simpsons during its golden age is really really funny.

Felt like if Zucker and Abrahams made a Back to the Future/Naked Gun mash-up.

And apparently there are, like, a dozen more books in this series.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM

The Sky Is Yours by Chandler King Smith
Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Mystery Contraption

Eager to see if your opinions sync up to mine
Old 01-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Out Of Warranty

I really wanted to start reading the firs book of The Trials of Apollo when I realized it's book 11 of Percy Jackson's adventures and I don't really remember the details of the last 10 beyond a few cool scenes here and there.

*sigh!* I know the book itself probably recaps the key parts, but the sheer mass of accumulated continuity has taken the wind off my sails. Skipping it for now, and going fishing into the backlog again.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Eager to see if your opinions sync up to mine
Eh. It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me that much either

Anyway, on to Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
Old 01-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Oh God Not Again by Sarah1281. About to read something a bit different: fan fiction; specifically, Harry Potter fan fiction. I heard about this towards the end of last year on Booktube and thought the premise was intriguing. What if Harry feel into the Veil, and instead of being consigned to oblivion, was thrown back in time, but he has his memories intact?
Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I started reading The Last Lion, a biography of Winston Churchill, and I might have bit off more than I can chew. This bio comes in three volumes and each is over 850 pages with the last going over 1200...

Excited and afraid.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:25 AM

could be worse. you could have decided to read that immense 8 volume biography of his
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post

Octo, i think you need to read this. it's very much your kind of jam, i think.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
Time to read about pirates with black Flags, Blue Waters by Eric Jay Dolin
I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've been wanting to read about the history of piracy.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Got bored with it less than a quarter through, though it might interest you
Old 01-22-2019, 03:40 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

the free ebook from TOR this month is an alternative history about elephants that can communicate with humans through signing, and also the nuclear age, "The Only Harmless Great Thing". I dig it, especially the parts written in elephant POV
Old 01-23-2019, 03:01 PM

it's been three years since I last visited Discworld, and it's high time I get back there with Wintersmith
Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
the free ebook from TOR this month is an alternative history about elephants that can communicate with humans through signing, and also the nuclear age, "The Only Harmless Great Thing". I dig it, especially the parts written in elephant POV
The free books from TOR are so freaking good I can't believe they are not charging. They've given out All Systems Red, The Ballad of Black Tom, All The Birds In The Sky...
Old 01-24-2019, 04:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished off Brandon Sandersons Skyward, which wasn't doing much for me at first, but it wound up growing on me quite a bit by the end. As per usual with Brandersons books, it felt more like he had a pitch for a really fun video game and then decided to make it into a zippy YA novel instead.

The books setting is honestly much more interesting than any of the characters; focusing on the last remnants of humanity being forced to land on a planet completely surrounded by an impenetrable cloud of space debris, with different nations rising up based on what the original settlers jobs were on the ship that crashed there, and also developing a culture that is 100% based around still fighting the aliens that wiped out humanity as they're still showing up. The book neatly side-stepped every prediction I had about that part of the plot, even as it blithely barreled towards making every character as predictable as possible.

Fortunately, it is a Branderson book, so the focus is more on explaining a world setting and extremely well written action sequences than on people, so that's fine.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:35 AM
Out Of Warranty

I bounced off hard the first chapter of Skyward included in the sampler. Good to know it gets better - I might give it a chance later.

It's funny, because the only other book I've bounced off from a sampler was Meddling Kids, for reasons I can't comprehend now, and that book ended up being so much, much better than the "Famous Five vs Lovecraft - The Book/Screenplay in Buffyspeak" elevator pitch would suggest.

Last edited by Positronic Brain; 01-24-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

The main character was a real impediment to enjoyment early on, I'll admit, thanks to her whole... *vibe*

Anyway, my copy of the #dril book arrived today. It's dedicated to everyone who ever died.

I... made the right call here
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
The main character was a real impediment to enjoyment early on, I'll admit, thanks to her whole... *vibe*
She does get much better, thankfully. I liked Skyward a lot. Quite the body count for a Sanderson joint, which was pretty surprising.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:55 PM

Thanks A Lot Mr. Kibblewhite: My Story by Roger Daltrey

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book