The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Gonna see the Eric B. and Rakim reunion tour this week. Probably won't be the whitest dude in the crowd but I might be top five or so.
Wow that tour schedule does a really efficient end-run around the entire Midwest. Ah well.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:22 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

I'm shocked it's even coming to the Carolinas. Seems like the sort of thing that usually skips straight from Atlanta to DC/Baltimore.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:12 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

addendum: whitest dude in the crowd was indeed not me. it was the noisy bald hipster beardo dude rocking a Utah Jazz jersey.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:51 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Saw Helmet and Prong tonight. Good stuff but relatively low turnout, probably due to Jazz Fest weekend. It also didn't help that the crowd ran older and Prong didn't go on until 9PM, with Helmet on around 10:30PM. Hey, come on, guys. I'm not 19 anymore. I need to take my Centrum Silver and scoot off to bed. Play the hits so I can get the fuck outta here.

At least the all-night cookie place was open down the road.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

Boyfriend got us tickets to see Janelle Monae on the last night of her tour and I'm ridiculously excited.

Also trying to decide if I'd rather go see Of Montreal or Dirty Projectors, both of whom are playing here in the next couple of weeks. (It'll probably be OM)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Oh man, so I just went to check Janelle's Monae's official tour page, and it says the date near me is sold out, but if I click through Ticketmaster claims there's still tickets? Hmm. But I don't know if I can make this decision immediately. (Also fuck TM's $13 service fees, istg.)

Edit: Heck with it, bought a ticket. I figure for a big name concert like this, at worst if I can't make it I assume it wouldn't be too much hassle to re-sell it. And I'd be annoyed with myself if I dithered and it really did sell out.

Also... I could use some new concert memories, oof. Literally like 80% of the live music concerts I've been to in my life have been TMBG, and the last one I went to was early this year with my recent ex, and it was a fucking amazing time, and... I don't know when I"ll feel up to going back without her. Gah. Hopefully I'll feel okay by the next time they tour again. (Sorry my sads keep managing to invade every thread I'm in, lol.)

Last edited by Kirin; 05-07-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Saw both Primus and Mastodon on Friday. Great show, although I was a little disappointed Primus was the headliner. I would have greatly preferred another 30 minutes of Mastodon.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 AM
It's dog eat dog

I am also seeing Janelle Monae this year, and also possibly TMBG! (This would be time #11 for me.)
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Caught the Dita von Teese burlesque tour, and man, that is a show. They've got a full-size tractor-trailer to carry all the gigantic goofy sets and props.

Also, cheers to the drunk-off-her-ass lil butch girl completely losing it in the front row all night.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

Saw Janelle Monae last night, which I didn't realize was the opening date of the tour, so that was neat. The set was very heavy on Dirty Computer, featuring every single song from it. Older stuff was limited to "Q.U.E.E.N.," "Electric Lady," "Primetime," "Cold War," and "Tightrope," plus "Yoga" off the Eephus EP. (Nothing off Metropolis, which surprised me a bit, but it makes sense given that she's getting some distance from the Cindi Mayweather persona on this album.)

Anyway, it's Janelle Monae so the singing was stellar and the costuming and staging were top tier. Here's a bad picture I took during "Django Jane" to give you an idea:

They would also frequently use the screens to highlight same-sex smoochin' in the audience or people waving rainbow flags during "I Like That," "So Afraid," and so forth. Really helped drive home "Americans," the last song of the night, ending on a super uplifting note.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Outraged!

Flogging Molly/Dropkick Murphy's show last week. Probably the first time I've been on the young side of the crowd in 15 years.

Flogging Molly knew who they were playing for. Barely played anything more recent than Drunken Lullabies, but Dropkick was clearly just sticking to the set list from their most recent album tour. Not your strongest stuff, gents.

They converted the old Armory in Minneapolis to a concert venue (was a parking garage for many years) and it is a pretty damn nice. Huge floor with bars all along both sides.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
Saw Janelle Monae last night
I am so glad I impulse bought that ticket for later this summer.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Goodbye!

Gonna go see Jonathan Richman tonight!

Yay!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 AM
It's dog eat dog

I am also seeing Janelle Monae in about a month, and that photo got me super hyped.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:17 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Default Speaking of Janelle Monae

I usually try to avoid outdoor music festivals because a.) people and b.) hot, but this is right down the road, really.

Childish Gambino? A Perfect Circle? Marilyn Manson? Big Thief? Sunflower Bean?

Hmmmm. HMMMMM, I SAY.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 PM
moray expansion tho

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

fucked up that modest mouse "our big hit is a song about how I backed up into a cop car and lived to tell the tale" gets billing over janelle monae
Old 06-14-2018, 06:07 AM
It's dog eat dog

Modest Mouse had already released three critically acclaimed albums and built a pretty devoted cult following before Float On. I would definitely bill Janelle Monae higher at this point in music history, though.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Not to argue about billing order, but Modest Mouse has been around for a long time and has a huge discography. If you want to hear more interesting stuff from them, check out The Lonesome Crowded West.