The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Safety First

"Sorry, sir, but the doors are already closing!"

Bone-R rushes into the closing doors, but Veryaf-R-AID isn't ready and panics, tripping as Bone-R tries to pull him through after, landing across the threshold.

(Random.org sez: 2)

But don't worry; I have good news, everyone! Friend computer has anticipated these kinds of accidents, and as such, this elevator has been equipped with the latest in Alpha Complex safety protocols. The safety of all occupants has been ensured, as the door obstruction sensors have been enhanced to guard against hostile entry. They close securely, neatly bisecting Veryaf-R-AID. Dracula makes an effort to hold the doors open, but upon seeing what is happening...

(Random.org sez: 12)

...managed to pull his arms inside the closing doors just in time.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 AM
I have a Plan

This keeps happening.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Default Buttoned Up

Inside the elevator, Dracula orders the shocked and panicked Infrared to reopen the door at once, so he reaches over with a shaky arm and immediately presses the door open button before the elevator can leave the floor. You all have a calm moment to survey the carnage before you as the elevator waits. Dracula is running his cleaning beam over the blood, but now that the door is open, it's mostly draining into the elevator shaft rather the pooling in the lobby or the cabin.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Tell me about your mother

If I was wearing a monacle right now, you better believe it would have thoroughly popped off at this point.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 AM
Funko Superfan

“Thank you to Citizen Veryaf for securing the elevator for us. Everyone in.”
Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 AM

I file into the elevator, while carefully avoiding the remains of Veryaf.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Unprecedentedc-R-ISIS has to almost drag themselves into the elevator at this point.

What does the panel of floor buttons look like?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
What does the panel of floor buttons look like?
As you survey the panel that Bone-R could have trivially used to save Veryaf's life, you see the following:

There are two grey buttons for opening and closing the doors, a red emergency stop button, and then one button for each floor. The 'B' is grey, while 1-9 are red, 10-19 are orange, 20-29 are yellow, 30-39 are green, 40-49 are blue, 50-59 are indigo, and floor 60 is violet.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:15 AM
クソゲーが好な人

I think we should go back to floor 9. At least then we won't have to hike back up floors one through eight.

(Internal grimacing)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM

The equivalent of a very dim lightbulb goes off in Sma's head.

"Waiiiit....we want to go up, not down. Should we just finish resting here, then continue up the stairs? Trying to catch a ride up to the higher levels were a superior can catch us is probably a bad idea."

"I'd hate to lose our progress and go back to floor 9."
Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Holy Swine

"That's what I've been saying! Better to break yellow clearance than violet..."
Old 03-12-2018, 07:37 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Did... did I arrive yet?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Well, no one has posted for a year, so I think I can safely declare this game dead. Before anyone stumbles into here to apologize for letting it peter out the way it did:

A) It's fine.
B) I think everyone still had fun. I know that I did!

That said, I may as well make this public now for anyone who stumbles onto this later, or if any of the players want to see what the others were dealing with:

Here's a link to the champagne room. Note that Quicktopic starts at the bottom and reads up. Enjoy!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

For some reason, I thought this had come to a definite conclusion at some point.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

I mean, they did level a city block. It certainly feels climactic.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Well, no one has posted for a year, so I think I can safely declare this game dead. Before anyone stumbles into here to apologize for letting it peter out the way it did:

A) It's fine.
B) I think everyone still had fun. I know that I did!

That said, I may as well make this public now for anyone who stumbles onto this later, or if any of the players want to see what the others were dealing with:

Here's a link to the champagne room. Note that Quicktopic starts at the bottom and reads up. Enjoy!
I was just thinking about this the other day. Will be interesting to see what other people's secret motivations were. I really liked the "crumbling tech utopia" aesthetic. Thanks for running, JBear, this was great.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
I mean, they did level a city block. It certainly feels climactic.
It certainly did. Hat's off to you for running and for the players as well.

Twas fun while it lasted!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Holy Swine

OK, I re-read this, along with the champagne room, and this was hilarious! More so for the spectators than the players, I think, I didn't really understand much of the random things people were doing. I'm glad I could contribute at least a little hilarity!

If you ever want to run another game, finish this one, whatever, I'd be in!

Can you share some of the details of what was in store for us? Was there a way to get to the roof without breaking color clearances?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Holy Swine

Sorry to bomb the thread...

I never realized the guy in my PM was a secret society member. JBear commented in the champagne room about how he was surprised I was so quick to betray my society, but I just saw that guy as some rando and, since every single other goal I had was to love friend computer as much as possible, I went straight to friend computer for brownie points.

I'm curious, after reading some of the Wikipedia article on the game: it said that troubleshooters start as Reds, and that clearances are based on loyalty. If I had asked the computer to promote me based on the loyalty I'd shown, is there any way that would have worked?

I always (meaning: in all 2 play-by-post ones and 0 live ones I've done) have a tough time in tabletop RPGs figuring out which actions are "allowed" and which aren't. "Allowed" meaning potentially helpful things to do, rather than completely outside of the scope of the game.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:12 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
I'm curious, after reading some of the Wikipedia article on the game: it said that troubleshooters start as Reds, and that clearances are based on loyalty. If I had asked the computer to promote me based on the loyalty I'd shown, is there any way that would have worked?
Why, yes, friend citizen. That ultraviolit clearance page certainly says that. I'd recommend pointing it out to friend computer at your earliest convenience....
Old 03-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Quote:
Can you share some of the details of what was in store for us? Was there a way to get to the roof without breaking color clearances?
Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate my planning documents ATM. IIRC, I didn't provide for any particular way for you guys to get to the roof without breaking colour clearances, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have found one that I hadn't anticipated! To the best of my memory, the guy on the roof was just impossibly jaded and bitter and hopeless. He was sitting on the far edge of the roof from the door you enter, and had painted the ground between he and you with violet paint (the can of fresh paint would still be sitting next to him), and had some kind of speech prepared that you guys could have his USB stick, you just had to walk over and take it and trust your peers not to stab you in the back, at which point he would laugh and then wait to see what happened. Everyone's competing goals were set up to make that moment the flashpoint where it all hit the fan, since you all had a different desired outcome for that encounter.

Quote:
I never realized the guy in my PM was a secret society member. JBear commented in the champagne room about how he was surprised I was so quick to betray my society, but I just saw that guy as some rando and, since every single other goal I had was to love friend computer as much as possible, I went straight to friend computer for brownie points.
Sorry about that! I guess I could have been clearer, but I went for flavour over clarity. In any case, there was nothing wrong with what you did; I was just surprised!

Quote:
lol, no. That sort of stuff is intended more for campaigns. Like, if we were playing several adventures in succession with the same group and this first mission went well (lol), the survivors might get a promotion for the next session. And even then, it's a reward for perceived loyalty, so even though you were by far the most likely to actually be loyal, some lying jerk like Loki would likely have better odds of getting a promotion. We might have gotten a funny conversation out of it, though! You might even have survived! Paranoia PROTIP: you want to spend as little time talking to The Computer as possible, and you don't want to ask him for anything if you can help it: he is the living embodiment of a monkey's paw.

Quote:
I always (meaning: in all 2 play-by-post ones and 0 live ones I've done) have a tough time in tabletop RPGs figuring out which actions are "allowed" and which aren't. "Allowed" meaning potentially helpful things to do, rather than completely outside of the scope of the game.
There's no harm is asking! Just say "can I [do a thing]?" and it's the GM's job to say yes or no. (Some people will tell you that it's the GM's job to say "yes, and", but that's a whole kettle of fish that I don't want to get into here.) Also, Paranoia is kind of fast and loose compared to more traditional RPG systems anyway (certainly the way that I GM it, at least), as you can probably get a sense of given some of the decision process I exposed in the champagne room. The goal is zany madcap low-consequence antics in a ridiculous bureaucracy/dystopia, so I'm likely to say yes to anything that serves that end.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
PROTIP: you want to spend as little time talking to The Computer as possible, and you don't want to ask him for anything if you can help it: he is the living embodiment of a monkey's paw.

There's no harm is asking! Just say "can I [do a thing]?" and it's the GM's job to say yes or no. (Some people will tell you that it's the GM's job to say "yes, and", but that's a whole kettle of fish that I don't want to get into here.) Also, Paranoia is kind of fast and loose compared to more traditional RPG systems anyway (certainly the way that I GM it, at least), as you can probably get a sense of given some of the decision process I exposed in the champagne room. The goal is zany madcap low-consequence antics in a ridiculous bureaucracy/dystopia, so I'm likely to say yes to anything that serves that end.
On the protip: that may technically be true, but my character pretty much wanted to talk to Friend Computer at every waking moment. I didn't realize I/we were in so much danger from the computer all the time, though. You'd think it'd realize that every single thing my guy did was to help the computer.

I was definitely trying to "play the character" more than to win. That's the biggest reason for giving up the camera-gun: my guy knows unauthorized tech is illegal and he wants to make sure the computer knows about it and can choose what happens with it, since the computer always knows best!

On the other part: I definitely enjoyed how you made decisions on the fly about things, and I think you did a great job! I'll tell you that I laughed out loud a bunch reading the quicktopic. I think my favorite was when you said something about expecting Johnny to object to having a pot of soup poured into his backpack, but nope!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You'd think it'd realize that every single thing my guy did was to help the computer.
It's not a good computer.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Also, want to play again.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
I think it's also worth considering the origins of Paranoia - the original game was released in 1984, when the market (such as it was) was (still) dominated by the original D&D. One of the dominant play cultures of the original D&D focused on avoiding engaging with the rules as much as possible, because combat was relatively merciless and would likely simply kill your character. Instead this play culture focused on describing actions with few or no supporting mechanics to convince the GM to allow you to bypass obstacles between your PC and loot without engaging the rules - breaching underground aquifers to cause flash flood, triggering cave-ins, provoking conflict between groups of monsters, generating distractions, "creative application" of spells, and the like.

Paranoia plays with the whole notion of an "allowed" action in a way that is, I think, a deliberate send-up of this play culture. The whole game is about trying to cleverly bypass obstacles in a hostile system, but there's entire strata of actual rules that you're not allowed to know about that will start triggering when you start trying to be clever.

Which isn't to say that your problem isn't a problem! In fact, I'd say it's quite common - I've run into a lot of players who struggle with exactly that.

Tags
friend computer is friend