The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-10-2018, 04:24 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
And then four episodes in, they kill off that character in a ridiculous, horrifying way. And now I'm not really sure I want to continue with the show. What a fucking bummer.
Watch for one or two more episodes before deciding is my recommendation.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Inscaper

Quote:

I watched the first dozen or so episodes when it first began. Seemed like a very competent sports anime, and I was very amused by its subject matter. But after about a dozen episodes, I could tell what kind of show this was, and how it was going to go (see: your own notes on drawn out races and predictable shounen tropes) and decided that it would probably be best if I dropped the show amicably there while I still had a good opinion of it. If I wasn't so jaded by so many similar shounen sports/tournament things, I'd have probably ate it up a lot more. From what I saw, it was a very competent/entertaining show! It's just a show I've already seen a million times to death already, and I don't like bicycling enough to overcome fatigue of that formula (versus say, my blind love of basketball getting me through Kuroko no Basuke).
Your instincts are definitely correct. I'm 100% sure I wouldn't be finding the show nearly as charming if I was still watching anime on the reg.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:20 PM
hourglass figure

The trailer for the netflix adaptation of Saint Seiya looks really good, with really high quality CGI (much better looking than the Dragon Prince for sure) but people are losing their shit because apparently now Shun is a woman. Which...

Look, I can understand that changing the gender of the rare male anime character that is allowed to be kind and sensitive and wear pink seems a bit like missing the point, but I very much doubt that's the reason so many people are slinging poop at the trailer like frenzied chimpanzees.

When I was a kid I thought Shun was a girl anyway (and headcanoned him as one for a while even after being presented with evidence to the contrary), so it barely makes any difference to me.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Find Your Reason

Actually... you shouldn't doubt that.

I've been tracking the response to Shun/Shaun, and, like I said on Twitter, the most consistent and strongest pushback HAS been from queer and female fans of the original show. Has the typical contingent of manchildren who complain about ANY alteration, especially gender-flips, flung their poop? Of course it has. But this time they're the minority, and best ignored. Especially when the arguments from the aforementioned queer and female fandoms are actually thoughtful and well-constructed. One shouldn't dismiss their legitimate (albeit very personal) reasons for being upset as just more "poop".

It certainly doesn't help that this very complex issue, which is problematic from whichever way you approach it, was made so much simpler by the showrunner outright stating he wants to make Shaun (yes, "Shaun") an action-girl with a completely different backstory and personality.

Personally? I would've recast Ikki. In a pinch? Hyoga. (Let's be real, they never would've recast Seiya or Shiryu.) But the BEST approach? Shaun as transitioned, and all the commentary that would go with the identity of a female Saint, the accompanying laws, and what other struggles, internal and otherwise, that she would be facing. But while of course that was never the showrunner's intention, it's still a valid reading for the fans.

(As for the visual quality... eeeeeeeergghhhhh. It looks so much worse than the brilliant Legend of Sanctuary from many years ago, and Saint Seiya, as a concept, depends SO MUCH on surrealism and abstract art that I would've vastly preferred Devilman Crybaby-style animation. The CGI looks stiff and lifeless, however true to the Asgard/Poseidon-era anime it may appear.)

Last edited by Zef; 12-11-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 PM
hourglass figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Actually... you shouldn't doubt that.

I've been tracking the response to Shun/Shaun, and, like I said on Twitter, the most consistent and strongest pushback HAS been from queer and female fans of the original show. Has the typical contingent of manchildren who complain about ANY alteration, especially gender-flips, flung their poop? Of course it has. But this time they're the minority, and best ignored. Especially when the arguments from the aforementioned queer and female fandoms are actually thoughtful and well-constructed. One shouldn't dismiss their legitimate (albeit very personal) reasons for being upset as just more "poop".
If that's the case I withdraw my incredulity. I don't doubt that there are people angry about the change for legitimate, 100% valid reasons, I just didn't think they were the majority. With that in mind, Shun is probably the worst choice for a gender-flip because now the parts of the fandom that are just fuming at the fact that there is now ONE girl in the main cast can co-opt the opinions of people that have a justified beef with the change. If any of the other characters had been picked, they wouldn't be able to scream about it without their true motivations being blindingly obvious.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:06 PM

lol it looks like a bad ps2 cutscene
Old 12-11-2018, 07:04 PM
hourglass figure

Quote:
lol it looks like a bad ps2 cutscene
I still think it looks really good, but I'm upset at the fact that apparently helmets (or tiaras/diadems, as was more often the case iirc) are no longer a thing.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:57 PM

I was working on a paper today, criticizing the ivory tower of academia and I quickly realized that, subconsciously, after writing the word "academia" once I changed from listening to Etrian Odyssey dungeon music (My usual workin' tunes) to the My Hero Academia OPs without really noticing why I was doing it.

I am anime.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

You know how anime loves to have off-model knock offs of restaurant names? I'm enjoying Bloom Into You quite a lot, but its McDonalds knock off is a war crime:

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Find Your Reason

Y'd Donald give us the middle finger?

Y indeed.
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Yes, I'ddonald
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

It's short for Yuri'd Donald, soon to be the next Bowsette
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

That Saint Seiya thing looks like ass...why did they do this...
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

Because y’all keep watching those ugly Polygon Pictures animes. Netflix doesn’t know what’s good. It just knows what its algorithms say get views.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road